DENNIS SCHRÖDER - Toronto (2yr, $26M)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 214, 215, 216 ... 282, 283, 284  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject:

You would pay Schroder, Caldwell-Pope, Caruso, Horton-Tucker $100 million because they could potentially start for the Lakers. I disagree with that premise. Each of those players would come off the bench for practically every other team in the league.

If we signed Kyle Lowry and Demar Derozan for the minimum. All of those guys would come off the bench.

Schroder is a sixth man on practically every other team in the league, that’s the market. If he doesn’t like it, he can play in Europe.

Last edited by JUST-MING on Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
The difference between a starter and a bench player is consistency. Dennis is wildly inconsistent. 25 points one night, struggles to score double figures the next night.

KCP.
If AC or THT started same story.

None of them asking for $100 million so moot point

That wasn’t the point you made though.

You would pay Schroder, Caldwell-Pope, Caruso, Horton-Tucker $100 million because they could potentially start for the Lakers. I disagree with that premise. Each of those players would come off the bench for practically every other team in the league.

If we signed Kyle Lowry and Demar Derozan for the minimum. All of those guys would come off the bench.

Schroder is a sixth man on practically every other team in the league, that’s the market. If he doesn’t like it, he can play in Europe.

You are making different arguments now. Which ones are we focusing on?
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject:

You are the only member in this thread advocating for paying Schroder $100 million. I’ve made my stance on the matter crystal clear.

Need more clarity — Let him walk for nothing (my stance)
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
You are the only member in this thread advocating for paying Schroder $100 million. I’ve made my stance on the matter crystal clear.

I have never once said that. I’ve made my stance on that matter crystal clear.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Letting him walk for nothing is the emotional way to handle this.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Letting him walk for nothing is the emotional way to handle this.

Agreed
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

I have never once said that. I’ve made my stance on that matter crystal clear.

If the top PGs are being paid 35 Plus. 100 mill sounds about right for DS
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Can’t spell overpriced asset without spelling overpriced (bleep).

Can’t spell emotional without “loot me.”
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

(bleep) you love you some DS. I deleted that post an hour ago. But the 2 minutes before I did u must’ve caught it. Do you have alerts or something?

I gotta find someone who loves me the way u love DS. And never let her go.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

(bleep) you love you some DS. I deleted that post an hour ago. But the 2 minutes before I did u must’ve caught it. Do you have alerts or something?

I don’t love him. I guess I’m attracted by the insane hate the guy gets here.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I was the same with Rondo.

And I could easily fall into the same pattern with WB. But I cut myself off. Not worth the energy. FWIW, I noticed you been saying DS in the teens per year you'd be down for. And at that price I'm down for it too.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

And I could easily fall into the same pattern with WB. But I cut myself off. Not worth the energy. FWIW, I noticed you been saying DS in the teens per year you'd be down for. And at that price I'm down for it too.

For me it’s about making sure to not squander the cap space whether that means keeping him or moving him. I don’t see the Lakers just cavalierly dumping him because they feel emotional against him. It’s a business and chemistry matters, but so does using the cap space productively.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject:

At worst I think of how much I hated Kwame but then he became pretty important as a cap piece in the Pau trade. Only Dennis is much better than Kwame ever was.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject:

Kwame made 8.3m in 2006-07 on the Lakers. That represented 15.6% of the then cap space of 53m.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject:

What I find the most funny, yinoma is in favor of paying Dennis Schroder $100 million, because he’s a “starter,” then draws the line at the veteran minimum for Andre Drummond, for no reason at all.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
What I find the most funny, yinoma is in favor of paying Dennis Schroder $100 million, because he’s a “starter,” then draws the line at the veteran minimum for Andre Drummond, for no reason at all.

Please find a post where I’ve said I would pay Dennis $100m. You are just making up stuff. And yes, Drummond is a minimum level player in today’s NBA. He is not playable in the playoffs.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

Do you think it is funnier than when you used to leave this place littered with deleted posts? Lol
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

You also thought CP3 was going to be bought out by OKC with 3 years left on his contract at about 40 million per year. Lol
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject:

Comment removed.

Last edited by JUST-MING on Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

Do you think it is funnier than when you used to leave this place littered with deleted posts? Lol

Yep

It's not. That was some strange stuff you used to do
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Kwame made 8.3m in 2006-07 on the Lakers. That represented 15.6% of the then cap space of 53m.

Sure. He was an expiring contract. We combined him with the rights for Marc Gasol, who went on to become an all-star, all-NBA, and DPoY. We also threw in a couple future first round picks. We didn't trade Kwame Brown for Pau Gasol. He was just the ballast for the trade as an expiring contract.

Ballast isn't an asset unless you have something with which to combine it.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Sure. He was an expiring contract. We combined him with the rights for Marc Gasol, who went on to become an all-star, all-NBA, and DPoY. We also threw in a couple future first round picks. We didn't trade Kwame Brown for Pau Gasol. He was just the ballast for the trade as an expiring contract.

We will have future picks. Dennis is a better player than Kwame was. And Marc wasn’t considered a star at the time.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

True...but we can also look at it another way.

I can’t speak for another man, but what Yinoma brings up is a case where salary ballast was necessary to make a deal happen. That option was present due to salary that was presently there. To get an idea, we had to even circumvent the CBA by bringing back a retired McKie to make up for the salary we didn’t have. That loophole has since been closed (after the Mavs did the same with Van Horn to deal for Kidd).

But can you imagine Kob with possibly 2 less rings. Kob possibly not being a LakerLifer and actually getting his demands met to move elsewhere. Kob and Pau possibly not having that hermano love which is still present to this day...

It’s all due to the salary that was present on our books. Without Kwame’s contract, we wouldn’t be in position.

Now I’m not saying a star is possible with our current contracts/assets...but can you imagine Dame finally wanting out and pulling a Harden or AD to get to his preferred team of the Lakers, only to be incarcerated either in Portland or somewhere else due to our salary aggregate limitations? That would be devastating and completely rewrite NBA history in the same way the nixed Cp3 deal influenced our/Kob’s trajectory.

Via rumors we can safely assume Schro is an asset that is targeted and it’s possible some other team values him at a certain price point and if it were over that margin, would have no problem trading for him with additional incentives attached.

This is why, I feel you gotta do nearly whatever it takes to sign him to a reasonable deal even if the goal is not to keep him longterm. Imho we really need to retain the asset component of Schro... otherwise it’s 2 steps back we go, particularly when it comes to our Bron/AD window.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:49 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

We will have future picks. Dennis is a better player than Kwame was. And Marc wasn’t considered a star at the time.

It doesn't matter whether you think Schroder is a better player than Kwame was. If it's a bad contract, it has value only as ballast. So maybe we can move it in the future if we attach a bunch of draft picks or something else of value? Isn't that just special? Sure, if the contract isn't too toxic, it could have utility as ballast. But utility and value are different concepts, and a contract that crosses the line in terms of toxicity is just dead weight.

You should also remember the case of Brian Grant. His contract was the ballast in the Shaq trade. The idea was that we would use his expiring contract as ballast in one of the trades that we were pursuing back then. It never happened. Brian Grant's expiring contract . . . just expired. We had actually released him before then.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:57 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
This is why, I feel you gotta do nearly whatever it takes to sign him to a reasonable deal even if the goal is not to keep him longterm. Imho we really need to retain the asset component of Schro... otherwise it’s 2 steps back we go, particularly when it comes to our Bron/AD window.

You're just repeating ideas that we've been talking about for weeks. We may be forced to give Schroder a large contract to preserve the asset. If this is part of a sign and trade deal, it's (mostly) some other team's problem. If we have to keep him, though, let's not kid ourselves that a bloated contract for Schroder is something that has trade value. We may suck it up and give Schroder the money to preserve the Lebron window, but the Schroder contract would be part of the post-Lebron hangover.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 214, 215, 216 ... 282, 283, 284  Next
Page 215 of 284
Jump to: