View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
The Sports Report: An update on the Trevor Bauer situation

Quote:
Bauer’s career is in jeopardy, and his stay with the Dodgers could be over, the sexual-assault allegations having turned a pitcher in his prime into a pariah in his own clubhouse, where no teammate has spoken publicly about him or come to his defense. Two people with knowledge of Dodgers clubhouse dynamics, who are unauthorized to speak publicly about the situation, said that a majority of players do not want Bauer back under any circumstances.

Disappointing but understandable. I remain extremely skeptical of the woman's story and intent, particularly given her text messages to third parties, but c'est la vie
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:

Quote:
Bauer’s career is in jeopardy, and his stay with the Dodgers could be over, the sexual-assault allegations having turned a pitcher in his prime into a pariah in his own clubhouse, where no teammate has spoken publicly about him or come to his defense. Two people with knowledge of Dodgers clubhouse dynamics, who are unauthorized to speak publicly about the situation, said that a majority of players do not want Bauer back under any circumstances.

I think this is jumping to conclusions.

It’s hard for me to see Bauer’s career being over. That’s such a severe punishment on the level of Ray Rice.

The NFLPA is weaker than MLBPA, so I can’t see that happening to Bauer.

I just don’t see him being charged. She brought all this evidence to the police awhile ago and still no charges. Part of the reason why she filed for the TRO was to put pressure on them to press charges.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
32 wrote:

Quote:

Disappointing but understandable. I remain extremely skeptical of the woman's story and intent, particularly given her text messages to third parties, but c'est la vie

Same here. Somehow, I just have this feeling that the bruises were self inflicted.

There’s no doubt that Bauer was rough with her in some way. To what extent I don’t know. To the extent that she got all that bruising and had to go to the ER, I’m not sure. It wouldn’t surprise me if the bruises were self inflicted. I think she hooked up with Bauer looking to get paid.

But yeah, if Bauer really did inflict all that physical damage on her, he should go to jail.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Anyone familiar with Jose Berrios? Apparently, our front office is trying to get him.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Why is the Dodgers’ Cody Bellinger no longer the hitter he was in 2019?

Bill Plunkett

LOS ANGELES — The resemblance is uncanny.

He wears the same uniform, the same name and number on the back of the jersey, and has the same lean, athletic look.

But other than that, Cody Bellinger – the artist formerly known as the National League’s Most Valuable Player – does not look like the same hitter who won that award.

For the first two months of the 2019 season, Bellinger terrorized pitchers. He was still hitting over .400 through May 21, hit his 20th home run on May 29 and started June with an OPS over 1.200. It was enough to win him the NL MVP award (and did when 2018 winner Christian Yelich of Milwaukee suffered a fractured kneecap in early September).

But Bellinger couldn’t sustain that level of performance. After July, he hit .256 albeit with a .906 OPS and 13 home runs in his final 51 games (for a season total of 47 homers).

Last year, the dropoff continued. He hit just .239 in the pandemic-shortened regular season with a .789 OPS and 12 home runs in his 56 games. And this season it has turned into a freefall.

With a stretch of 25 hitless at-bats over the first week after the All-Star break, Bellinger’s batting average dropped to .161. Only one player in the majors with more than 165 plate appearances has been a worse hitter. Seattle Mariners outfielder Taylor Trammell was hitting .160 when he was demoted to Triple-A a little over two weeks ago.

Bellinger’s on-base percentage (.274) and slugging percentage (.282) have also cratered. The same hitter who hit 111 home runs in his first three seasons while winning the NL Rookie of the Year (2017) and MVP awards has hit just four home runs in his first 43 games this season.

So why isn’t he the same hitter?

“It’s tough. He’s young. He’s had success early,” says Brant Brown, one of the three hitting coaches on the Dodgers’ staff who have worked with Bellinger on a daily basis the past three seasons. “Dealing with all of that stuff is not as easy as we might think on a big stage. So we’re just trying to make everything smaller. Put it in a hallway, not in a grand ballroom. But we’re very confident that he’s going to respond.”

Simply put, Bellinger – who has missed 58 games with leg injuries (including a hamstring injury sustained Friday) – is not hitting the ball as hard or as far or as often this season.

Statcast figures show Bellinger has career-lows in hard-hit percentage (the number of balls put in play with an exit velocity over 95 mph) and barrel percentage (the number of balls squared up on the optimal part of the bat). His average exit velocity this year (89.5 mph) nearly matches last year’s career-low (89.3). By comparison, during his MVP season, Bellinger’s average exit velocity was 91.2 mph. During both his ROY and MVP seasons, his hard-hit percentage was 45.7.

During his first four seasons, 21.2 percent of the fly balls he hit went for home runs. This year, that number – like the fly balls themselves – has fallen far short. Just nine percent of his fly balls have turned into home runs this season.

Brown and Dodgers manager Dave Roberts both point to the same thing as the leading factor in Bellinger’s struggles this season – the surgery he had on his right shoulder last November.

“I think everyone needs to realize with the shoulder surgery he didn’t have the offseason that he normally has in the weight room and the ability to develop his strength in the way that he has in the past,” Brown said. “So you’re dealing with him trying to catch up or just maintain what he has. Then as he was building his strength, he gets hurt. He gets stepped on. So that goes. You can’t really do a lot when you have a cracked fibula or whatever it was. Too much movement of anything would rattle it. So he’s still in the development area of strength and conditioning, a tick off of where he’s been in the past.”

Brown describes the front shoulder as “the navigation system” for a hitter’s swing, providing “adjustability” to that swing.

Where once Bellinger feasted on fastballs (a .327 average and .661 slugging percentage during his MVP season), he is hitting just .140 with a .331 slugging percentage against them this season. Part of that is the “initial fire” of the swing that is lacking in a surgically-repaired front shoulder, Roberts says.

“This is not making excuses. It’s going to sound like one,” Roberts says of the lingering effect of the shoulder surgery.

At the same time, hitters are always tinkering with their swing mechanics and setup – some more than others. But Bellinger’s adjustments have led him farther and farther away from the swing that produced those MVP numbers in 2019.

“I think that when you have success, the success that he had – hit 40-something homers – it’s like anything, the more you do something and then you do something unconsciously … when you look back a couple months later, a year later, you’re like – what swing is that?” Roberts said. “For me, you’re hitting homers and you’re not trying to hit homers. You’re being a good hitter – which he was. Then it’s like I’m hitting homers so I’m going to keep trying to lift the ball, lift the ball, lift the ball. And over a month, two months, three months, an offseason – this is a distant memory of where you were.

“I know in spring training the next year (2020), he didn’t have the same swing. I don’t have video of it. But I know from my eyes. … Coming into summer camp (last July), it was a different thing as well.”

Brown acknowledges that Bellinger’s swing has changed since 2019 but argues that does not make Bellinger unique.

“That’s the fight. You have a really good first half or more than first half and you lose a feel, you try to tinker and you go to things. That’s baseball,” Brown says.

“It’s really tough to google your swing.”

The current iteration of Bellinger’s swing seems a reflection of an obsession with hitting home runs. Again Statcast shows he is hitting with more loft than ever – an average launch angle of 21.7 degrees compared to 17.8 in 2019 when he hit 47 home runs – but turning a higher percentage of those into pop-ups or fly outs.

“I think everyone does,” Brown says of chasing home runs. “We really try to create the narrative that – if you hit, you slug. If you slug, you’re playing with fire.”

Roberts says his message to Bellinger is to “go back to being a hit collector” who hits line drives into the gaps. If they start carrying into the seats – so be it.

“For Cody, when he was really good in ’19, he was a hitter first and the slug followed,” Roberts says.

“I just want him to focus on being a good hitter. Be a good hitter first. … Be a doubles guy. He’s grinding. But I think the mindset, the approach to being a doubles guy, will benefit him far more than feeling you hit a homer so now you’re back. I think that consistently going forward he would be best served being a hit collector, driving in runs, using the whole field. … You look at his at-bats. There’s a lot of swing and miss in the zone. I believe if there’s that mindset of doubles and use the whole field – a little flatter path – I think that will lead to success.”

Throughout Bellinger’s lost season, Roberts has emphasized the value he brings as a Gold Glove-level defender in center field and one of the Dodgers’ fastest baserunners (when he manages to get on base). With a three-team race in the NL West, however, the Dodgers cannot easily absorb a .161 average from one of their core players.

“I’ll take the over the rest of the way,” Roberts says.

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:35 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, Bauer is going to need a complete exoneration for the Dodgers to welcome him back, if for no other reason because it's the only way his teammates might be OK with him being back.

Berrios is very good, but I'm not sure that he's great. But he would help, for sure, and has another year to go after this one before he hits free agency. He'd probably be our #4 starter in the postseason, although he has the ability to out-pitch both Kershaw and Urias if he's going well.

The Nationals have not only made Scherzer available, but apparently Trea Turner as well, pretty much anyone not named Juan Soto. Turner is an interesting one for teams. We almost certainly won't be in on him, just because of our needs and how much he'd cost to acquire. We're certainly in on Scherzer, of course. Fills a greater need and won't cost nearly as much to get, as a rental.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject:

I can definitely buy the shoulder surgery really affecting Bellinger. That definitely had to lead to a significant decrease in strength. Shoulder injuries are something I’ve always feared because the shoulders are involved in so many upper body exercises. And to make things worse his lower body got injured.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject:

Seeing teams like the Nats or even the Cubs who have won a title recently and are already in rebuild or sell-now mode reminds me how fortunate we are as Dodger fans. 8 straight division titles, 3 WS appearances, a title, and we still have a good shot at being a top contender this year.

Becoming a good team is hard but staying a good team for multiple seasons - let alone a whole decade - is a lot harder.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Trevor Bauer’s administrative leave has been extended through Aug. 6. The Dodgers pitcher remains under investigation by Pasadena police and Major League Baseball after a woman alleged he sexually assaulted her. The extension was expected and Bauer continues to get paid.

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1420090886696931329?s=19
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Sources: The #Dodgers are interested in acquiring players who they think will improve their chances of winning their second consecutive World Series title

Quote:
Cody Bellinger back in #Dodgers starting lineup. Bellinger starts at first base.

Quote:
Clayton Kershaw threw 3 innings in his simulated game. Dave Roberts had positive reviews. #Dodgers

Quote:
Dave Roberts said Mookie Betts had his best day physically in the last couple of weeks. Betts is eligible to be activated on Sunday. #Dodgers

oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Hope we get good Julio tonight as that bottom half of our lineup is eek (well mainly Raley).

I’m up at Mariners/Astros to perform my civic duty to boo the living crap out of the Trashtros so won’t be about to watch tonight.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
Sources: The #Dodgers are interested in acquiring players who they think will improve their chances of winning their second consecutive World Series title

Quote:
Cody Bellinger back in #Dodgers starting lineup. Bellinger starts at first base.

Quote:
Clayton Kershaw threw 3 innings in his simulated game. Dave Roberts had positive reviews. #Dodgers

Quote:
Dave Roberts said Mookie Betts had his best day physically in the last couple of weeks. Betts is eligible to be activated on Sunday. #Dodgers

That first quote is almost laughably pathetic. No (bleep) (bleep) the Dodgers are interested in acquiring players who will assist. Who needs sources for that??

I have a pet theory that Cody's offense takes off when he's at 1B. Then at RF. I think he posts his worst stats as a CF.

Cannot wait for Mookie and Clayton to come back
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Scherzer’s preferred list of teams includes the Dodgers, Giants and Padres (and some others) but is said more about the ability to win this year and going forward (he’d like a team he could stay with) than geography. A bidding war betw the 3 NL West leaders is certainly possible.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1420131377211756546
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Big series with the Giants. We need to take at least 2 out of 3. We are starting the series 3 games down in the loss column.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
I can definitely buy the shoulder surgery really affecting Bellinger. That definitely had to lead to a significant decrease in strength. Shoulder injuries are something I’ve always feared because the shoulders are involved in so many upper body exercises. And to make things worse his lower body got injured.

So Dave Roberts says the shoulder bothers him but consistently bats him 4th and 5th??
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Big series with the Giants. We need to take at least 2 out of 3. We are starting the series 3 games down in the loss column.

Every series vs SF and SD has been big this year and it feels like we’ve failed most of them.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Great catch by CT3.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject:

We seem to be terrible at running home (from third) on contact...But Muncy screwed up there by not hitting a flyball for the sac.

2nd/3rd, with one out. Got nothing out of it.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Seems our batters like to start off with an 0-2 count while our pitchers like to start off with a 2-0 count.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject:

It's not our year. Seems like the Giants are one step ahead of us.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:

Too early to say (way too much season left). Honestly, most of our losses to them were from Kenley choking and/or mental mistakes - both preventable. I expect us to get Seager/Mookie back, and get some reinforcements by the trade deadline.

I have no doubts we win the division. I expect them to go through a rough patch, and to fall back toward the mean.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Just so much awful baseball this year. The 8th inning being a perfect microcosm of that. Just get us in a close game and we suck, get us in extra innings and we obviously suck, or get us against a team over .500 and we're meh. It hasn't been enjoyable to watch this season. The execution has been absolutely awful this year. We rack up blowout wins and the close ones, we aren't very good. That's not a very promising sign, frankly.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:

Assume Giants win the division and the Dodgers win the wild card....I don't think they will face each other until later in the playoffs.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:37 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
32 wrote:

Assume Giants win the division and the Dodgers win the wild card....I don't think they will face each other until later in the playoffs.

Well, the team with the best record has to face the Wild Card winner, so as of now that would be the Giants facing the Wild Card winner.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:52 am    Post subject:

majority of the players might have fallen in love of the pitchers choking when it matters too. lol
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 95, 96, 97 ... 393, 394, 395  Next
Page 96 of 395
Jump to: