Dodgers 2021 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 393, 394, 395  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
In a way we have to thank Puig for this title, because the Puig scouting trip is when Urias and Gonzalez were also discovered by the team.
I guess you could say that the real treasure [in signing Puig] was the friends we made along the way lol

If he wasnt such a disruption, I would trade Pollock and open up an outfield spot for him.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
In a way we have to thank Puig for this title, because the Puig scouting trip is when Urias and Gonzalez were also discovered by the team.
I guess you could say that the real treasure [in signing Puig] was the friends we made along the way lol

If he wasnt such a disruption, I would trade Pollock and open up an outfield spot for him.

I think Puig’s reverse splits are the main reason why he’s not here anymore. We just kept struggling vs left handed pitchers in the playoffs. He was one of our few RH bats but he had reverse splits. He fared better vs RHPs than LHPs.
Pollock has normal splits. He crushes LHPs.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

I think Puig’s reverse splits are the main reason why he’s not here anymore. We just kept struggling vs left handed pitchers in the playoffs. He was one of our few RH bats but he had reverse splits. He fared better vs RHPs than LHPs.

I’ll always be bummed that his signature moment (3 run homer in the World Series) was wasted and forgotten. If his teammates welcomed him back I’d go get him in a heartbeat, sadly I don’t think he’s missed much.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

I’ll always be bummed that his signature moment (3 run homer in the World Series) was wasted and forgotten. If his teammates welcomed him back I’d go get him in a heartbeat, sadly I don’t think he’s missed much.

He had grown so much as a hitter from looking like Raul Mondesi with 2 strikes on an outdoor slider in his early years against the Cardinals to not swinging at bad pitches and grinding pitchers down and becoming clutch as hell. World of difference between a Puig at bat in the playoffs compared to a Pollock at bat (though AJ wasnt as bad as he was last year)
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject:

Pretty sure every Championship team, in every sport says, "let's try to repeat next year". If the Rays had somehow won the World Series, there certainly would not be many prognosticators picking them to repeat.

But with the Dodgers having been in the WS in 3 of the last 4 years, with the 7 (or 8) straight Division titles, leading the league in wins, in HR's, the ability to score runs with two outs, the ability to get on base with two strikes, the depth of their pitching staff, their depth of their bench...

The only way they mess up repeating, is if they lose too many key players, so it's important not to cheap-out, pay up and let's do this again in 2021...!

Last edited by unleasHell on Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:29 am; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject:

We're getting David Price for next season and possibly lose some hitters. I'd say even with those potential losses we have enough talent to potentially repeat. But the one factor which is probably a bigger factor in baseball than other sports is the wave of momentum a team can ride on lesser talent to get to and win the World Series is players getting hot at the right moment.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
We're getting David Price for next season and possibly lose some hitters. I'd say even with those potential losses we have enough talent to potentially repeat. But the one factor which is probably a bigger factor in baseball than other sports is the wave of momentum a team can ride on lesser talent to get to and win the World Series is players getting hot at the right moment.

You just dont know how much that 2014 Giants title still annoys me when we were so much better than them in every possible way.
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Defending Champs 2021 LA Dodgers Thread

loslakersss wrote:

Now that the drought is over how about we try for back to back

How hard is to win back to back in the MLB?
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Defending Champs 2021 LA Dodgers Thread

ksmgf wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Now that the drought is over how about we try for back to back

How hard is to win back to back in the MLB?

I think the Yankees 1996-2000 dynasty was the last team to repeat. I’d say football is the only harder sport to repeat as champs given the single elimination playoff games, but baseball is right behind it imo.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Not expecting Joc or Baez back.

Treinen is possible, since it could be a rough market for non-star free agents, so maybe he comes back for another 1-year deal, who knows.

Kike isn't likely because we have Taylor signed through next season, and he can likely get a multi-year deal elsewhere.

Turner's going to be interesting but I think he comes back at a reduced AAV for at least 2 more years. I think he's so huge in the clubhouse that losing him would sting, never mind the fact that he's still a very good hitter.

With Price back, the top 4 starters will be set. May and Gonsolin are fine options, and you never know if someone like Gray takes a step forward and shows he's ready. This gives us options. We could simply have one of May/Gonsolin as the fifth starter and the other in the bullpen. We could flirt with a 6-man rotation for parts of the season. We could trade Gonsolin or Gray. (I can't see May going anywhere.) I'm also not ruling out Bauer if he would do a 1-year deal, though there are clearly other teams that need him a lot more than we do. With Bauer, the rotation is completely set for 2021 and you can really explore your options with May/Gonsolin/Gray and others. Not expecting that of course, but given his LA ties and previously stated desire to do 1-year deals, you can't rule it out at all. Still, given that he could probably get $35MM or so for one year, the Dodgers may simply feel like they could use that money in a better way.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject:

^ I’m pretty sure that Kike’s gone unless somehow LA offers him the most $ which isn’t likely. He would have considered sitting this season out to spend time with his pregnant wife but since it was a contract year he felt he needed to play and have a great season. No reason to do that if you’re just going to take a discount anyway. But I would be thrilled if we somehow kept him. Unfortunately I think he and Joc are definitely gone, but at least they leave with a ring.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject:

If the Braves don't re-sign Ozuna, who is going to get big money off the year he had, I could see them having interest in Joc. He shouldn't be too expensive, has a history of mashing righties, and has been a clutch postseason performer.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:08 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
If the Braves don't re-sign Ozuna, who is going to get big money off the year he had, I could see them having interest in Joc. He shouldn't be too expensive, has a history of mashing righties, and has been a clutch postseason performer.

Assuming they keep Ozuna and both teams are healthy, who do you think will be the better team next season: ATL or SD?

Also speaking of SD, doesn’t Machado owe us his contract since we won a WS before he did? Wasn’t that his bet lol
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Assuming they keep Ozuna and both teams are healthy, who do you think will be the better team next season: ATL or SD?

Also speaking of SD, doesn’t Machado owe us his contract since we won a WS before he did? Wasn’t that his bet lol

I'll go with the Braves, with Soroka presumably OK next season. That's if they keep Ozuna. But they may not be able to retain him. A lot of what happens with the Padres hinges on Clevinger and Lamet's health, as well as Paddack returning to form. The Padres have an extremely high ceiling if things broke right.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Love him but JT should either walk or retire, don't need any pending suspensions or controversy hanging over the team going forward. He knew the rules and chose to ignore them, a savvy vet and team captain should have known better. You'd expect that sort of reckless behavior from a minor league guy but not JT. Rios can handle the hot corner from now on but JT should NOT be brought back.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
Love him but JT should either walk or retire, don't need any pending suspensions or controversy hanging over the team going forward. He knew the rules and chose to ignore them, a savvy vet and team captain should have known better. You'd expect that sort of reckless behavior from a minor league guy but not JT. Rios can handle the hot corner from now on but JT should NOT be brought back.

I disagree...he absolutely must be bought back. He is the clutchest guy on the team and the one guy I would want at bat over all others when the game is on the line. Also noticed he excels at the at bats when we desperately need a hit in a close game when we are lacking in energy. For example if the other team took the lead on us and we see a noticeably drop in energy in our at bats, Turner is very often the energy guy who brings up hope by getting a leadoff single or hit. Its one thing if we have a cant miss prospect waiting but when its Rios and we are trying to go back to back, hell no, Turner is critical for our hopes. Truly clutch guys like this year in year out are a rarity and you dont lose them when you have them and they are still very productive. Turner is like a slower version of "The Ignitor" Paul Molitor - ironic how that nickname fits JT as well to a tee
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:

I disagree...he absolutely must be bought back. He is the clutchest guy on the team and the one guy I would want at bat over all others when the game is on the line. Also noticed he excels at the at bats when we desperately need a hit in a close game when we are lacking in energy. For example if the other team took the lead on us and we see a noticeably drop in energy in our at bats, Turner is very often the energy guy who brings up hope by getting a leadoff single or hit. Its one thing if we have a cant miss prospect waiting but when its Rios and we are trying to go back to back, hell no, Turner is critical for our hopes. Truly clutch guys like this year in year out are a rarity and you dont lose them when you have them and they are still very productive. Turner is like a slower version of "The Ignitor" Paul Molitor - ironic how that nickname fits JT as well to a tee

So for example MLB suspends Justin for say 50 games, then what? In addition he usually has a stint or 2 on the injured list. I guess at what price point is it going to be worth it to bring back a part-time player for next year despite all his intanglible leadership qualities?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:

So for example MLB suspends Justin for say 50 games, then what? In addition he usually has a stint or 2 on the injured list. I guess at what price point is it going to be worth it to bring back a part-time player for next year despite all his intanglible leadership qualities?

Can't really throw out a theoretical 50 game suspension out of thin air. That seems like a way over the top punishment.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject:

JT should come back and be that locker room vet like Chase Utley. JT is great leader. Also ease Rios into the 3B spot. He’s ready to play 120 games
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject:

I'm not too excited about David Price coming back. He's entering his age 35 season and his ERA in his last 2 years has risen sharply. He looks to be almost washed up, imo. Hopefully Gonsolin and May take the next step.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject:

4stargeneralbulldog wrote:
I'm not too excited about David Price coming back. He's entering his age 35 season and his ERA in his last 2 years has risen sharply. He looks to be almost washed up, imo. Hopefully Gonsolin and May take the next step.

Decent no. 4 guy and major boost in having big game experience, probably wouldn't get shook up as much as the youngsters did in the postseason.

Buehler
Kershaw
Urias
Price
May/Gonsolin/Gray/White/Santana
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Price will be solid as a 4th starter

It’s clear Beuhler is the ace now. Kershaw a great 2. Urias is ready to make that jump.

I don’t think Bauer will take a home town discount just yet

May and Gonsolin can battle for the 5th
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject:

I can’t imagine the FO not trying to re-sign JT. The only way he doesn’t come back is if he is happy with the ring and wants to secure as much $ as possible (our FO isn’t gonna overpay him just because another team is willing to).
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:26 am    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:

Price will be solid as a 4th starter

It’s clear Beuhler is the ace now. Kershaw a great 2. Urias is ready to make that jump.

I don’t think Bauer will take a home town discount just yet

May and Gonsolin can battle for the 5th

I wouldn't rule out Price too quickly. He had a strong finish to 2018 (and a 3.58 ERA overall in the AL East pitching at Fenway is pretty good as it is), and then last year had a 3.24 ERA in the first half of the season, before trying to pitch through a wrist problem for his final 24 innings which ballooned his ERA. Note that it wasn't an "arm" injury to a pitcher, per se, not like a shoulder or an elbow problem. I actually think that going to the NL and pitching for the Dodgers will serve him well. And he's had a lot of rest for that arm, obviously. And should be very motivated to prove something to people. I have a good feeling about him next year, and it's not like we even need him to be a top-of-the-rotation type.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:28 am    Post subject:

My only regret is Ryu not being able to bask in the glory of the WS win. He was an integral part of the Dodgers' success for so many years and deserves recognition.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 393, 394, 395  Next
Page 2 of 395
Jump to: