Dodgers 2021 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 393, 394, 395  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Lux was supposed to be the Phillies version of Utley. He is more like our version of DeShields....scratch that he is worse than DeShields in every way

And that’s saying something because DeShields was a BIG disappointment. Then he went to St. Louis and had a good year which pissed me off even more.

Lux could really help this team out a lot if he could perform.

I’m disappointed Zach McKinstry hasn’t been able to return yet. The team started falling apart around the time he went down. He brought some hits and some power to the lineup, and unlike the more experienced players, baseball in April and May is going to mean a lot to him because this is the biggest opportunity of his life. Has to be so frustrating to him.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject:

We're still the clear World Series favorite at +325. Next in line are the Yankees at +700. I wouldn't like those odds even if we were 25-10. The postseason is much too fickle.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Dave Roberts baffled by Angels' blowout bunt attempt, but play helps Dodgers snap losing skid in wild game

The Los Angeles Dodgers snapped a three-game losing streak on Saturday night, defeating the Los Angeles Angels in what proved to be an eventful contest. The Dodgers may have prevailed by a 14-11 final, but that score obscures that the Dodgers originally staked out a 13-0 lead. Moreover, it overshadows that Dodgers manager Dave Roberts and starting pitcher Clayton Kershaw openly scoffed at the Angels for a fifth-inning bunt, a decision that may have prevented the Angels from completing their unlikely comeback.

To set the scene: the Angels were down by 13 in the fifth inning when right fielder Taylor Ward came to the plate with a runner on first and one out in the frame. Ward push-bunted the first pitch he saw to the right side of the infield. First baseman Max Muncy, the only fielder located on that side because of the overshift, corralled the ball easily and threw to second base for the force out. The Dodgers, for their part, were less-than-amused by Ward's attempt at beating the shift.

As SB Nation's Eric Stephen pointed out, Kershaw could be seen on the television broadcast motioning to the scoreboard while telling his dugout "That's so stupid." The broadcast then cut to Roberts, who also appeared to disagree with the bunt call, albeit in terms that were harder to make out through lip reading. Roberts later confirmed as much in his post-game presser, saying, "It's just not a good baseball play, any way you slice it," again according to Stephen.

Anyone understand why this would piss off the Dodgers? I don’t get it. Why do you care whether the opponent bunts or not?

Yeah, I don’t understand this unwritten rule of baseball.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject:

^
Yes, this came across as Kershaw just being a stodgy old curmudgeon. Worry about what you're doing, not what the opponent is doing. We had a shift on and he was trying to bunt it more towards a vacant second base, not right to Muncy. If you're going to shift in a 13-0 game, does the batter not have the right to take advantage if he wants to? Do they not still play the game?

I would understand being upset if a guy tries to bunt his way on if a pitcher is throwing a no-hitter and it's 13-0. (If it's still a close game and a guy breaks up a no-no with a bunt, there's nothing wrong with that at all, by the way.)
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject:

Baseball is so weird with these unwritten rules. This instance and the Tatis grand slam from last season both suggest that if a team has a big lead then both teams should essentially run out the clock— this is a very weird sentiment for the only sport with no clock.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject:

My god, the unwritten rules. Probably the most annoying thing about baseball.

Why would anyone care what the other team does? If a guy is trying to bunt against a stupid shift you're doing, more power to him. This notion of teams/players not being able to try hard because the game is a blowout is just asinine to me. The other players are still playing for their livelihood so any bump in their stats could potentially help in arbitration or their next contract.

The same when Tatis hit a 3-0 fastball for a grand slam. Why is it Tatis's fault the pitcher couldn't manage to throw a strike the first three pitches and he should now allow the pitcher to throw a strike? GTFO. This isn't little league. This is the big leagues and if guys can't handle guys showing emotion, that's on you.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
Dave Roberts baffled by Angels' blowout bunt attempt, but play helps Dodgers snap losing skid in wild game

The Los Angeles Dodgers snapped a three-game losing streak on Saturday night, defeating the Los Angeles Angels in what proved to be an eventful contest. The Dodgers may have prevailed by a 14-11 final, but that score obscures that the Dodgers originally staked out a 13-0 lead. Moreover, it overshadows that Dodgers manager Dave Roberts and starting pitcher Clayton Kershaw openly scoffed at the Angels for a fifth-inning bunt, a decision that may have prevented the Angels from completing their unlikely comeback.

To set the scene: the Angels were down by 13 in the fifth inning when right fielder Taylor Ward came to the plate with a runner on first and one out in the frame. Ward push-bunted the first pitch he saw to the right side of the infield. First baseman Max Muncy, the only fielder located on that side because of the overshift, corralled the ball easily and threw to second base for the force out. The Dodgers, for their part, were less-than-amused by Ward's attempt at beating the shift.

As SB Nation's Eric Stephen pointed out, Kershaw could be seen on the television broadcast motioning to the scoreboard while telling his dugout "That's so stupid." The broadcast then cut to Roberts, who also appeared to disagree with the bunt call, albeit in terms that were harder to make out through lip reading. Roberts later confirmed as much in his post-game presser, saying, "It's just not a good baseball play, any way you slice it," again according to Stephen.

Anyone understand why this would piss off the Dodgers? I don’t get it. Why do you care whether the opponent bunts or not?

Yeah, I don’t understand this unwritten rule of baseball.

Kershaw and Roberts being dumb. I think that makes a whole lot of sense to get traffic on to beat the shift. Stupid Kershaw and Roberts. When Dodger fans think their manager and player are being stupid, you know its stupid.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:

Why would anyone care what the other team does? If a guy is trying to bunt against a stupid shift you're doing, more power to him. This notion of teams/players not being able to try hard because the game is a blowout is just asinine to me. The other players are still playing for their livelihood so any bump in their stats could potentially help in arbitration or their next contract.

The same when Tatis hit a 3-0 fastball for a grand slam. Why is it Tatis's fault the pitcher couldn't manage to throw a strike the first three pitches and he should now allow the pitcher to throw a strike? GTFO. This isn't little league. This is the big leagues and if guys can't handle guys showing emotion, that's on you.

It's remarkable how a bunch of grown ass men can act like absolute infants in regards to this.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Dave Roberts gave an update on injured #Dodgers

⚾️ Cody Bellinger is running at 60% and will have to play rehab games before being activated.

⚾️ David Price will throw to hitters again after a good day today.

⚾️ AJ Pollock won’t be going on IL and is available to PH tonight.

Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:

It's remarkable how a bunch of grown ass men can act like absolute infants in regards to this.

The modern successful athlete is hardly a grown man. You are talking about some of the most coddled, mentally weak prima donnas that have ever walked this earth.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Buehler can’t put together that dominant regular season. He delivers in the postseason for sure, but he can’t seem to put up that Cy Young caliber reg season.

His ERA keeps getting worse every year:

2018: 2.62
2019: 3.26
2020: 3.44
2021: 3.53
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Wow.....BS call on Betts. Terrible umpires affecting outcomes of games because they cant do their jobs right
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Huge three-run home run by Lux!
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Great comeback win!
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject:

I was flipping between this and Lakers. Changed to dodgers right before the pitch that Lux crushed. I knew we’d win. I think the slump is over.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Let’s hope this gets Lux going.

If Lux can heat up, it’ll just help out alot. One less automatic out would make a difference for us. Especially since we put Rios on IL. That’d be 2 less automatic outs.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:32 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Buehler can’t put together that dominant regular season. He delivers in the postseason for sure, but he can’t seem to put up that Cy Young caliber reg season.

He has a 0.90 WHIP and a 47/3 K/BB ratio. He leads the league in K/BB ratio and with his walks per 9 innings. It looks like he's concentrating on throwing strikes, and his pitch count has stayed pretty low while he's gotten fairly deep (for today's standards) into games.

I'm good if he's a 3-3.50 ERA guy in the regular season and then dials it up in the postseason. Maybe he'll be the second coming of John Smoltz.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 12:35 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

He has a 0.90 WHIP and a 47/3 K/BB ratio. He leads the league in K/BB ratio and with his walks per 9 innings. It looks like he's concentrating on throwing strikes, and his pitch count has stayed pretty low while he's gotten fairly deep (for today's standards) into games.

I'm good if he's a 3-3.50 ERA guy in the regular season and then dials it up in the postseason. Maybe he'll be the second coming of John Smoltz.

Yeah if that’s how he is that’s how he is.

It’s a bit puzzling how he doesn’t put together a Cy Young type season.

But maybe he just takes it easy during the season and ramps it up in the postseason.

He was godly in 2018 though. Haven’t seen that Buehler in the regular season since.

His last 19.1ip, he’s given up 11 runs and 5 HRs

Yeah with the way our offense is struggling and our bullpen being decimated, we could use a Kershaw type regular season from Buehler.

At this point, only Buehler or Bauer can give us that type of season.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:

I’m surprised Lux didn’t break any unwritten rules last night.

That bat flip was Bautista-esque.

Let’s see if Mariners retaliate tonight.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:

For a young kid to finally bust out after years of disappointment and it all came out in that one moment. If someone has a problem with that, they are the problem.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:

For a young kid to finally bust out after years of disappointment and it all came out in that one moment. If someone has a problem with that, they are the problem.

Exactly. We've been slumping for god knows how long, got screwed out of a big inning the inning prior by an awful call finally come through with a big hit. If any team has a problem with his reaction, that's on them.

Luckily it seems like the Mariners aren't a bunch of crybabies like Bumgarner and others so I don't see any retaliation coming.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:

Exactly. We've been slumping for god knows how long, got screwed out of a big inning the inning prior by an awful call finally come through with a big hit. If any team has a problem with his reaction, that's on them.

Luckily it seems like the Mariners aren't a bunch of crybabies like Bumgarner and others so I don't see any retaliation coming.

Man as much as Bumgarner annoys the (bleep) out of me with his BS antics....that man is a tough bulldog and cold as ice under the brightest lights so I respect the hell out of him. Him and Schilling....two of the biggest tools....but tough as nails and literally two of the best when the spotlight is the brightest. Schilling and Randy Johnson. Randy was the slightly better pitcher and had a tough mean exterior but wasnt really all that tough deep down. Schilling just looks like cranky goofy bastard but that dude really was tough
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject:

It’s funny because I was thinking about Walker and how after years of dodgers fans wanting MadBum over Kershaw (for October), we’ve kinda got our own version that’s homegrown. I don’t think the regular season vs postseason splits are as drastic but Walker is definitely a guy who throws better in the fall than in the spring and summer.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Season-ending shoulder surgery for Edwin Rios. Might explain why his swing looked so passive, like he wasn't attacking the ball.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Joe Davis just said the Dodgers as a team have the most bad strikes (strikes that should be balls) called against them this season. I’m not sure how big of a part that plays in our recent slump but it definitely didn’t help. I think part of it is the team being so disciplined and not swinging at stuff outside the zone...but then the bad ump punishes them for having a good eye and plate discipline. We really need robo strike zone already.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 393, 394, 395  Next
Page 57 of 395
Jump to: