I forgot what runs were like.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Snipes wrote:
Kershaw is pretty damn good.

I’ll admit that Dave Roberts was right and I was wrong and I’M SO GLAD to be wrong!

I really thought Kershaw was done after that horrible spring and throwing 88-89. That first start was bad but man, dude’s been fantastic ever since.

Dave Roberts said don’t worry, once the season starts Kershaw will be fine and the velocity will go backnup. I brushed him off, I doubted him.

Dave Roberts was right. The velocity did go back up and everything’s fine now.

Also, Chris Taylor is so good. He deserves to start in this league. He should be a starting SS in this league.

CT3's already an everyday starter here with all the injuries and his super utiility ability to plug in anywhere. If Lux continues to slide like he's been, time to promote Taylor to everyday 2b.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Snipes wrote:
Kershaw is pretty damn good.

I’ll admit that Dave Roberts was right and I was wrong and I’M SO GLAD to be wrong!

I really thought Kershaw was done after that horrible spring and throwing 88-89. That first start was bad but man, dude’s been fantastic ever since.

Dave Roberts said don’t worry, once the season starts Kershaw will be fine and the velocity will go backnup. I brushed him off, I doubted him.

Dave Roberts was right. The velocity did go back up and everything’s fine now.

Also, Chris Taylor is so good. He deserves to start in this league. He should be a starting SS in this league.

CT3's already an everyday starter here with all the injuries and his super utiility ability to plug in anywhere. If Lux continues to slide like he's been, time to promote Taylor to everyday 2b.

I mean long term, permanent starter.

Not super utility injury replacement but a permanent starter in this league and getting paid like it.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject:

I hated Zaidi leaving us for the damn Giants 3 years ago and hate it even more now. He’s quietly building a monster up in the bay.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
I hated Zaidi leaving us for the damn Giants 3 years ago and hate it even more now. He’s quietly building a monster up in the bay.

Yeah he’s doing good work.

He’s picking up some old Dodgers and getting some good mileage out of them: Wood n McGee. (Wood has a no hitter so far - 4ip)

He’s also getting some unexpected production from Longoria and Posey.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Snipes wrote:

Yeah he’s doing good work.

He’s picking up some old Dodgers and getting some good mileage out of them: Wood n McGee. (Wood has a no hitter so far - 4ip)

He’s also getting some unexpected production from Longoria and Posey.

Meh, I'm not worried about the current Giants. We'll see how the old vets last throughout the season.

Although I agree about Zaidi. He'll build through the farm similarly to how Friedman did and they will be a force down the road.

Though I would think it'd be hilarious if it ends up being the Dodgers and Giants battling it out for the division and the Padres, after all the hype, end up on the outside looking in.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject:

Not time to panic yet over Lux. However, if he's still hitting like .200 in June, look, the Dodgers are going to have to ask some tough questions. Taylor can obviously be an everyday second baseman. However, if they trade Lux, let's say, they could lose Taylor too in free agency. Then what? They could lose Seager in free agency, so if you don't have Lux anymore, then what? I could see them just hanging onto Lux for depth, even if he's merely a backup down the stretch. But if his pedigree could still land you some help this year, say, perhaps a late-inning bullpen piece, particularly one that's controllable for multiple years, then you have to wonder if they would pull the trigger.

Again, it's still very early, though. He had a stint on the IL so he hasn't had a ton of AB's. But this is now the third calendar year where he's been less than impressive at the big league level. He's going to have to show something within the next 100-150 AB's or so, or they will have a lot to consider.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:41 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
32 wrote:
Tough crowd here. You do realize the Dodgers have the best record in the league. Lol

Giants will be tied for first if this result holds. This team will fall behind them in the standings if things don’t change soon. I don’t blame the Dodger fans in the stadium that are booing.

We just look...lethargic. It's more than the injuries. We look practically disinterested, like we're just showing up to work and there's no sense of urgency. It's a long season. But I don't like the vibes right now.

You guys with your short memories. Have you already forgotten the 2018 season?

Coming off that epic 2017 season just barely losing the WS (before we found out we were cheated), and boy did we ever stink up the joint. I want to say we started off 16-25 culminating it with a 4 game sweep by the reds who were really bad then.

And what happened? We ended up winning something like 93 games and, yeah, had to play a one gamer for the division (but also had the WC as our fallback), won the division and ended up winning the pennant.

Yeah I know maybe we can’t afford to do that again this year with the Padres really good but that year had a decent D’back squad and a really good Rockies squad.

This seems like a combination of injuries and slumps to me. Y’all have mentioned it many times lately but it really always seems that one of Raley, Rios or Peters find themselves up in a pivotal moment. I mean look, it’s frustrating as hell when they inevitably fail, but understand that they’re really only up due to injuries (well not Rios...he’s just slumping bad right now).

Getting Taylor and Lux back is huge. McKinstry’s return will be great as well as that will push guys like Raley, Peters and Beaty back down to the taxi squad.

I think the 2018 example shows why even baseball in April can matter a lot. One extra win in April can be the difference between winning the division and being in a one game playoff. We’ve seen other years when just one or two extra wins in April could make a difference.

Take the 1996 and 1997 seasons, for example. Those Dodger teams lost the division by 1 game in 1996 and 2 games in 1997. The team records in April those years were 14-14 and 13-11.

Or the 1991 Dodgers, a team that finished 1 game behind. They were 10-10 in April.

Or the 1982 Dodgers, who again ended up only 1 game behind first. They were 10-11 in April.

Even if a team does well in April, you never know if one extra game would have made a big difference. And it would be nice to be able to rest players more at the end of the season.

Aww the memorable 1996 and 1997 years...amazing how talented and yet unready for the playoffs those 90s Dodger teams were. 1996 had they even won the division, they were never going to beat those Cardinals. 1997, the year of the 4 30+ Homerun hitters of Piazza, Karros, Mondesi and Zeile missing the playoffs altogether - would have been interesting series with the Marlins to see if we could have derailed their title season although peak Kevin Brown is the absolute perfect pitcher to completely neutralize our hitters - right handed power pitcher with arguably the nastiest sinker baseball has ever seen inducing ground balls to our double play prone right handed power bats.

The 1997 season drove me nuts to not even see that team make the playoffs. The Giants weren’t even that good and it was enraging to see them win the division. I still remember Eddie Murray hitting into a double play with the bases loaded in extra innings in the last game against the Giants which cost the team the division. That summed up the 90’s Dodgers.

The 1996 Dodgers had a chance to at least get a split in the first 2 games in the playoffs; the Braves hitters struggled to hit the Dodger pitching. So to not even make it to the 4th game was surprising to me.

I never thought the 96 Cardinals were that good but it’s hard to trust Nomo, Worrell or the Dodger hitters in that hypothetical matchup. In 97 though Nomo probably wouldn’t start in the playoffs as Chan Ho Park had a better season than him.

What’s sad is the 96 postseason performance was a major improvement over the 95 playoffs.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The Dodgers placed Brusdar Graterol on the 10-day injured list (right forearm tightness) and recalled Edwin Uceta.

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
The Dodgers placed Brusdar Graterol on the 10-day injured list (right forearm tightness) and recalled Edwin Uceta.

Damn we are cursed..

Forearm tightness hasn’t been good news this year.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject:

- Mookie Betts is bad right now. Could be his back, could be a slump, could be both but he’s bad right now.

- seems like the new dead balls have zapped our power. If we don’t hit HRs, we’re in trouble because we don’t run and we don’t have alot of high batting average guys.

- we have 1 more out to score a run...

- yeah this is not just a slump, we have some flaws on the roster plus the dead ball is affecting us

- Austin Barnes drives in a run, no shutout!

- Looks like getting the runner to 2nd helps (whether by stolen base or balk)
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject:

The starting pitchers should have more wins right now. Too many great starts have been wasted.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Well on the bright side we saved the bullpen. I like the move of batting Bauer top of the 7th...not like we were hitting anyways.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
Well on the bright side we saved the bullpen. I like the move of batting Bauer top of the 7th...not like we were hitting anyways.

That’s how bad our bullpen is.

We were willing to trade 1 out on offense for 3 outs on defense eventhough we’re trailing 2-0.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject:

I think it’s a combo of the injuries (including Mookie), slumping, and being the defending champs— not only does that put a target on us for every other team to bring their best against us but it has to have an effect on this team not being as hungry. That being said, if we get healthy I’m sure we’ll return to looking like the powerhouse team we should be.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
I think it’s a combo of the injuries (including Mookie), slumping, and being the defending champs— not only does that put a target on us for every other team to bring their best against us but it has to have an effect on this team not being as hungry. That being said, if we get healthy I’m sure we’ll return to looking like the powerhouse team we should be.

To a certain extent. However, Muncy seems to have lost his power. Lux hasn’t found success yet in the majors. Barnes might have regressed. The bullpen is a major issue.

Seager, Turner and the overall defense isn’t good this year. Pollock might have regressed.

Yeah, lots of issues not related to health.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:54 pm    Post subject:

Didn't see the game today, but seems like Mookie hasn't gotten himself right yet, whether it's because of his prior back problem, being hit on the arm with that pitch, or a combination of both. He did start slowly last year too, though, although that was more of a 10-15 game sample, I think. I mean, if he's healthy, we know he's going to hit, so I'm not going to worry about him.

The Graterol injury, yeah, that really sucks. This is part of the reason that I think the Twins were willing to unload him, that I think they were worried he wouldn't hold up. I think I remember reading that at the time. It might also explain why Graterol has had no breaking ball whatsoever. I'm telling you, when I saw him with the Twins in the postseason, I thought he had a damn good slider, and I remember writing about that. It would be a blow if he's out for the year, for sure.

The good news is that the Dodgers have a bevy of prospects with which to make trades, should we need to go out and get a bullpen arm, or two.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:51 am    Post subject:

We have 30HRs in 26 games this year. On pace for 187 HRs in 162 games

2020 - 116 HR in 60 games. On pace for 313HR in 162 games.
2019 - 279 HR
2018 - 235HR
2017 - 221 HR
2016 - 189HR
2015 - 187HR

I don’t think we can score enough runs at this HR pace because we play station to station baseball.

Getting Bellinger back will definitely provide us with more pop. But we need Lux to start providing some power if he’s going to be a regular.

We need Pollock to provide some more power because we used to get a ton of power from Pederson in LF.

We need Will Smith to provide more power because we’ve gotten power from that position from Grandal then Smith.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject:

We’ve played 12 innings this series and gotten 1 run.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject:

This team has gone into the tank big time after the red hot start.

I know they are banged up and it is long season, but I think we are missing some of the guys that we let go in the off season.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject:

This offense is not fun to watch at all. Just one frustrating game after another.

I feel like I should just watch the starting pitchers and nobody else.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:

All this talk about a record breaking season seems like a distant memory now.....I look at the division and they aren't even at the top of the standings anymore. Its gonna be a dogfight this year.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

2019 - 279 HR
2018 - 235HR
2017 - 221 HR
2016 - 189HR
2015 - 187HR

I don’t think we can score enough runs at this HR pace because we play station to station baseball.

Getting Bellinger back will definitely provide us with more pop. But we need Lux to start providing some power if he’s going to be a regular.

We need Pollock to provide some more power because we used to get a ton of power from Pederson in LF.

We need Will Smith to provide more power because we’ve gotten power from that position from Grandal then Smith.

Look at all the other homerun hitting teams from last year as well. All struggling. The dead ball theory is definitely legit. Twins are struggling..Yankees...Whitesox up until their current win streak ..etc. Gotta find a way to manufacture runs other than the long ball.

I think we have the hitters to do it too..just a change in approach is necessary.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Dustin May is hurt. This year is unraveling after we started 13-2.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

2019 - 279 HR
2018 - 235HR
2017 - 221 HR
2016 - 189HR
2015 - 187HR

Look at all the other homerun hitting teams from last year as well. All struggling. The dead ball theory is definitely legit. Twins are struggling..Yankees...Whitesox up until their current win streak ..etc. Gotta find a way to manufacture runs other than the long ball.

I think we have the hitters to do it too..just a change in approach is necessary.

Yeah if we’re not hitting HRs, we lost our competitive advantage.

We don’t hit for average, we don’t bunt, we don’t steal.

We just play station to station baseball, draw walks and wait for the HR.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 393, 394, 395  Next
Page 51 of 395
Jump to: