LAKERS -vs- HEAT - 10/4 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject:

This is as much a battle of coaches as it is players. Hasn't Spo had Vogel's number in the east more often than not?

It's time Frank. Sweep the leg!

Eh, we should still be thankful. Could you imagine Luke playing chess against spoelstra?
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB, rough loss to a tough Heat team. Yes, it was frustrating that we couldn't make the necessary in-game adjustments on defense. Unfortunate that both AD and Bron had off games. This should be a good wake up call to them and Vogel to make the right adjustments for game 4. Two wins away!
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Those ridiculing the Heat as if they are the 2002 Nets 2.0 were in for this rude awakening. Not all surprised that this series is 2-1, in fact that is exactly how I thought we would drop the games, either (or both) game 1 and 3. When we went up 2-0, and you saw that Heat energy in game 2 second half. Spo was going to make some adjustments as we busted up the zone easily in game 2.

The positive. Despite playing pretty bad, we were easily able to come back in the game and go back up 1 in the 4th. This with AD a no show, and Lebron being a TO machine. The Heat still had to play incredible in the clutch to win (and we tapered off again). I think we saw all that Spo is gonna bring out this series, with both his zone and man D schemes (even the man, there is a lot of quick shift to packing the paint going on). We OTOH have not made too many shifts in what we can do, and once we do that, I think it will be over.

The negative. We could not get AD involved, even after the foul trouble. The refs ensured early on he would not be involved in the game. Had the game 90-89 despite poor play from us, mainly due to Kieff and Kuz. AD settled and played soft, I think out of fear of being fouled out. He knows next game he can not do that. Bron was a little bit trying to figure out the Heat defense. Leading to over dribbling and some confusion (TOs). Second negative was that we continue to struggle with a scheme to stop Jimmy from being in the Harden role. That is essentially what the Heat are doing, putting Jimmy in the Harden-PG role. We need to do to Jimmy, what we did to Harden Dame and Murray. It is on us as a team to really put the clamps on, with mixes of blitzing him, sending AD on him, as AD is the one that seems to give Jimmy the most trouble.

Overall, this is why all the celebrating and overconfidence by some of the Laker fans was troubling me. I am quite sure the Lakers themselves did not have this, as they legit looked like the typical 2-0 team that is a little tired, coming into face an opposing team playing for their lives. The Heat played for their lives. Credit to them. This is why I said, after we beat Houston, and once the Clips lost, I respected all the teams left in the playoffs. Boston, Heat, LA, Nuggets. All good teams with good character. They all will fight till the end. Well coached. All the coaches left in the conference Finals, from Stevens, Vogel, Spo and Malone are very good coaches. Their teams all play hard.

It is on us to make an adjustment defensively, and for Bron-AD to play with higher IQ. Vogel needs to get the guys to see where they can make things tougher for Butler. Game 4 needs to be our best effort. We need to show the Heat that we are bigger, more athletic, skilled and physical. The 3 point shots need to be a later option, as that is exactly what Spo wants us to be, a 3 point soft team instead of a physical beat you down inside team.

Good points Wolf. Put another way, had the Heat not made adjustments, they would be down 3-0. Kudos to their staff and guys ramping it a notch.

They chose to guard AD similar to how the Rockets did - fronting, and at times doubling. This did cause AD some issues at times in that series. The counter to this is usually having AD move quickly upon receipt of the ball, or just move quickly without it. The half court offense looked almost unusually lumbering and slow last night.

Butler also "seemed" to take note of critics who kept saying he needs to attack more - so much so he had a hand not only in his 40 points, but also 13 other scores with his assists. In fact, he single handedly matched BOTH AD and LBJ in points AND assists.

Terrific for Butler...unacceptable for the Lakers.

So now it's back on our boys...if the staff do not make adjustments and AD does not better (he absolutely cannot have games where he shoots only 10 times all game - including being fouled to go to the FT line - that is insane), then guess what, this will be beyond a dog fight.

I am slightly concerned our 3 shooting was not atrocius (32% - by atrocious I mean around 20%ish) and our guys still lost, which may be the first time this post season.

But, despite feeling embarrassed over what happened last night, two things have been pretty consistent this year:

1. After each playoff loss, Vogel and the staff have made adjustments.
2. After a poor game, AD typically does alot better.

As an aside, with about 1:47 left in the 4th this was still a 5 point game. Butler also had the best game of his career. So, all in all, despite what was an overall strange performance by the team (AD and LBJ combined for 13 turnovers), it's not like they peaked or cannot improve.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

The positive. Despite playing pretty bad, we were easily able to come back in the game and go back up 1 in the 4th. This with AD a no show, and Lebron being a TO machine. The Heat still had to play incredible in the clutch to win (and we tapered off again). I think we saw all that Spo is gonna bring out this series, with both his zone and man D schemes (even the man, there is a lot of quick shift to packing the paint going on). We OTOH have not made too many shifts in what we can do, and once we do that, I think it will be over.

I'm still a little annoyed with the coaching of this one. But I've learned to give Vogel a game to adjust. I just felt we saw what was coming and didn't have a change up defensively to deal with it in game. So the Heat made their tweaks defensively, dialed us in on the other end and we really didn't do anything about it. Kind of a waste. And...I really wish someone would have lit a fire under AD in that fourth. That doesn't require X's and O's adjustment...

And, yes, always respect the opponent. Especially with a coach like Spo who is one of the best in game.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:

1. After each playoff loss, Vogel and the staff have made adjustments.
2. After a poor game, AD typically does alot better.

Yep. Hopefully, that holds true in this next one. It is going to be a battle.

I may need to work on some breathing exercises. lol.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:36 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

I may need to work on some breathing exercises. lol.

It is been 10 years, DB. We are so close. However still feel far. I have been nervous all week. But I think these guys have been a great group and have been well coached. They need to respond once again. Like they have been. Tonight is gonna be a dog fight.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LonestarLakerFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject:

This series is playing out just like the conference finals. We dominated game 1, barely eked out the win in game 2 with the buzzer beater and then the Nuggets beat us by 8 points in game 3. At which point, everyone was asking why Vogel hadn't made any adjustments over the course of 2 games.

Vogel finally made some key adjustments in game 4, we killed them on the offensive glass, and it was game over.

Hoping this one plays out the same.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: