What docs have you been watching?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 19843

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Listening to a Belushi’s wife sing over the closing credits of his documentary is heartbreaking. Hard to believe he’s been gone longer than he was alive.


I liked how he walked into random houses and ingratiated himself w/ the owners to eat their food and rest on their couches.

He sounded like Cobain and Sid Vicious in his personal writings. He was as bad as they were w/ heroin/coke. You listen to Belushi and you know he was destined to die young like those two. You heard the same, exact themes about his loneliness, tiredness, depression, and desire to get off of drugs. And the co-dependent relationship w/ his woman was a link to all 3 of them. Interesting that he did begin to dabble in punk and pushed away the blues stuff, saying he didn't wanna listen to this sht anymore.
_________________
GOAT MAGIC REEL
SEDALE TRIBUTE
EDDIE DONX!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 19843

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Caught the Bee Gees one this morn. Went by quicker than I expected, saw it in one sitting. They were before my time, so I learned a lot. Didn't know they started off as a boy band of sorts, didn't know about Andy Gibb, didn't know their falsetto stuff pre-dated disco becoming mainstream, and didn't know their hits from "SNF" were already done before the movie. I always assumed that the movie came first and they were tasked beforehand with coming up with songs for the soundtrack. Then again, I only saw the movie itself in full for the first time a few years ago, tho I had seen portions of it thru the years whilst channel surfing. They made a compelling case for their music not being disco at all. Given the backlash against it and the general lack of quality of most disco groups who did identify, I don't blame them. They were a group way too talented to be pigeonholed into a genre or definition like that. Even if they were disco, they were good disco.
_________________
GOAT MAGIC REEL
SEDALE TRIBUTE
EDDIE DONX!


Last edited by non-player zealot on Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 19843

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

Wife & I watched it on Christmas - it was very enlightening about their early success. I knew they had hits in the late 60s/early 70s, but I'd never really heard of them until SNF. Disco died while I was in HS, but "How Deep Is Your Love" & "Guilty" (with Streisand) lived on in Easy Listening FM radio, which was the default "muzak" for all of my early jobs.


I re-remembered that song "Woman In Love" they did for Streisand when they played it on the docu, had forgotten it over the years. I can pretty faithfully remember any music that was popular from 1980 onward, but not so for most stuff before 80. Disliked that one, reminded me of Endless Love and Open Arms. Those kinds of tunes were played endlessly by radio stations. I can understand how the Bee Gee's career stalled in the wake of disco's end because as the guy aptly put it, there wasn't much else around in those days BUT radio. I was a fan of Van Halen, whose debut album came out in Feb 78. It took a rock band of that measure to get a major label (Warners) to sign them as a new act at the height of the Sat Nite Fever album. They're thought of by rock historians as the band that kept hard rock alive by a thread at the time. One of the Gibbs said that they couldn't get out of their own shadow when they released their next album. Musta been somethin to live thru. I like their songs now, but having to hear them everywhere for that long probably felt like "Macarena x 6".
_________________
GOAT MAGIC REEL
SEDALE TRIBUTE
EDDIE DONX!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 25780
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject:

HBOMAX's The Scheme.

Go watch it. It's fantastic.
P.S. Screw the NCAA. Pay your players.
_________________
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.” - Heraclitus
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 19843

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
HBOMAX's The Scheme.

Go watch it. It's fantastic.
P.S. Screw the NCAA. Pay your players.


Aite, I'll peep any sports doc, watch HBO Real Sports monthly goin back years and all other sorts of 30/30s, etc. I tried to find the DB Cooper one on demand, but I only got a preview. TF am I doing wrong on that one?
_________________
GOAT MAGIC REEL
SEDALE TRIBUTE
EDDIE DONX!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 25780
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
kikanga wrote:
HBOMAX's The Scheme.

Go watch it. It's fantastic.
P.S. Screw the NCAA. Pay your players.


Aite, I'll peep any sports doc, watch HBO Real Sports monthly goin back years and all other sorts of 30/30s, etc. I tried to find the DB Cooper one on demand, but I only got a preview. TF am I doing wrong on that one?

On Demand doesn't normally have everything. That's why you have to use the HBOMax app and just sign in with your cable/satellite provider login.
_________________
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.” - Heraclitus
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 19843

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
kikanga wrote:
HBOMAX's The Scheme.

Go watch it. It's fantastic.
P.S. Screw the NCAA. Pay your players.


Aite, I'll peep any sports doc, watch HBO Real Sports monthly goin back years and all other sorts of 30/30s, etc. I tried to find the DB Cooper one on demand, but I only got a preview. TF am I doing wrong on that one?

On Demand doesn't normally have everything. That's why you have to use the HBOMax app and just sign in with your cable/satellite provider login.


Oh, one of those things. I don't bother w/ those pains in the culo that often. I'll have to man up and sign up. You don't know how schizo I am about signing up for sht. I loathe the act to the Nth degree for some reason. Hate making calls, too. I got issues.
_________________
GOAT MAGIC REEL
SEDALE TRIBUTE
EDDIE DONX!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Posts: 17642
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Been watching Narco Wars on NatGeo. Interesting but not as compelling as Cocaine Cowboys.
_________________
"Suck it up. Don't be a baby. Do your job." - Kobe Bryant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Nov 2006
Posts: 18716
Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Small Wonders - Roberta Guaspari starts a music program in Harlem(?) for underserved students. They become skilled enough to be invited to play the anthem at a Knicks game, and then at Carnegie Hall alongside Itzhak Perlman and Isaac Stern.

Educating Peter - kid with severe down syndrome is placed in a normal classroom
Graduating Peter - he leaves high school, and he and his parents face the brutality of the real world

Autopsy

Hookers at the Point
Hookers & Johns

Shoah - 8+ hours, but worthwhile
_________________
http://chickhearn.ytmnd.com/

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 19843

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:21 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:


Autopsy


I still have HBO Autopsy reruns on my On Demand feature. Went through the epis they had a year or two ago. Excellent series. Sopranolike in the way it spawned all the other CSI crap to follow, but the difference is that HBO showed the gore, but it was clinical instead of morbid or salacious in approach, featuring highly trained pros and that monotone narrator (who isn't with us no mo). Gave it gravitas or an informative/educational bent.
_________________
GOAT MAGIC REEL
SEDALE TRIBUTE
EDDIE DONX!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 48079

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject:

TIME, which can be streamed on Amazon Prime, is one of the best movies of the year.
_________________
14-5-3-12
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 88446
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
TIME, which can be streamed on Amazon Prime, is one of the best movies of the year.


Tell me more...
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 48079

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ocho wrote:
TIME, which can be streamed on Amazon Prime, is one of the best movies of the year.


Tell me more...


In short, it’s the story of a woman working to free her incarcerated husband while raising their children. I really can’t recommend it enough. Go watch!
_________________
14-5-3-12
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 88446
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ocho wrote:
TIME, which can be streamed on Amazon Prime, is one of the best movies of the year.


Tell me more...


In short, it’s the story of a woman working to free her incarcerated husband while raising their children. I really can’t recommend it enough. Go watch!


We don’t have the same taste or analysis, but can’t think of a time I did t enjoy something you were that passionate about. Sold!
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 48079

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ocho wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ocho wrote:
TIME, which can be streamed on Amazon Prime, is one of the best movies of the year.


Tell me more...


In short, it’s the story of a woman working to free her incarcerated husband while raising their children. I really can’t recommend it enough. Go watch!


We don’t have the same taste or analysis, but can’t think of a time I did t enjoy something you were that passionate about. Sold!


I am confident this one can withstand your poor taste
_________________
14-5-3-12
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 48346
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject:

It's technically a mockumentary, but "Death to 2020" on Netflix is a really fun watch.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 25780
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject:

The newly released Tiger documentary on HBOMax is 🔥. It's a two part doc. 1st part is already out. Really enjoyed it.

Don't know if I have the heart to watch part 2.
_________________
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.” - Heraclitus
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 88446
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Tiger is a tough one for me. Just loved him coming up and he was such a great story and inspiration. Then we found out what a POS he is...
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 25780
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Tiger is a tough one for me. Just loved him coming up and he was such a great story and inspiration. Then we found out what a POS he is...


Honestly, I didn't have any strong feelings about him as a person going into the doc. But after watching part 1. I feel for him.
_________________
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.” - Heraclitus
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 19843

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:18 pm    Post subject:

Halfway thru the 4th and last epi of "The Night Stalker" (re: Richard Ramirez) on Netflix. The most thorough depiction of the crimes ever put together and the best piece bar none at putting faces/lives behind his victims. Not that you didn't feel sorrow for them before, but this really brings that time back to mind. It was a different world. This POS was a one-man wrecking crew and the stuff of nightmare. The 4th epi focuses on his chase. I'm not all the way thru it, but it hasn't really discussed the whys behind his creation. To its credit, it focuses on his victims' and survivors and his victim's loved ones and also on the people behind his manhunt. He was as close to a vampire or werewolf as the myths would allow. Good riddance.
_________________
GOAT MAGIC REEL
SEDALE TRIBUTE
EDDIE DONX!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 19843

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject:

Saw the one on Netflix about Sam Cooke. Interesting. I think it's suspect how he died. Maybe someone spiked his drink as his friends who last saw him said he was at a bar drinking martinis. The girl he was with who claimed kidnapping was a prostitute and she took his pants w/ a wad of cash and got away from the scene w/ her pimp. Hard to envision him roughing up an old lady while fully nude causing her to shoot him. Tragic loss nonetheless, on par w/ Marvin Gaye or even more impactful considering that he was a civil rights advocate w/ Malcolm X which wasn't tolerated too well by white America. Cassius Clay becoming Ali around that time. He caught his own flak.
_________________
GOAT MAGIC REEL
SEDALE TRIBUTE
EDDIE DONX!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Oct 2001
Posts: 45422

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Tiger is a tough one for me. Just loved him coming up and he was such a great story and inspiration. Then we found out what a POS he is...


Honestly, I didn't have any strong feelings about him as a person going into the doc. But after watching part 1. I feel for him.


I agree. Watching your father disrespect your mother like that right in front of you, yet he is your best friend and main companion also while it is all going on. And all while you are being developed to be the greatest golfer the world has ever seen.

Part 1 was intense, I am going to watch Part 2 a little later tonight and am looking forward to it.
_________________
Love, Laker Lanny
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Oct 2001
Posts: 45422

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Saw the one on Netflix about Sam Cooke. Interesting. I think it's suspect how he died. Maybe someone spiked his drink as his friends who last saw him said he was at a bar drinking martinis. The girl he was with who claimed kidnapping was a prostitute and she took his pants w/ a wad of cash and got away from the scene w/ her pimp. Hard to envision him roughing up an old lady while fully nude causing her to shoot him. Tragic loss nonetheless, on par w/ Marvin Gaye or even more impactful considering that he was a civil rights advocate w/ Malcolm X which wasn't tolerated too well by white America. Cassius Clay becoming Ali around that time. He caught his own flak.


Sam Cooke might be the greatest pure singer of all time. He was brilliant, I love Bring It On Home To Me among many of his others.

Another amazing talent gone way too soon.
_________________
Love, Laker Lanny
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 19843

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Saw the one on Netflix about Sam Cooke. Interesting. I think it's suspect how he died. Maybe someone spiked his drink as his friends who last saw him said he was at a bar drinking martinis. The girl he was with who claimed kidnapping was a prostitute and she took his pants w/ a wad of cash and got away from the scene w/ her pimp. Hard to envision him roughing up an old lady while fully nude causing her to shoot him. Tragic loss nonetheless, on par w/ Marvin Gaye or even more impactful considering that he was a civil rights advocate w/ Malcolm X which wasn't tolerated too well by white America. Cassius Clay becoming Ali around that time. He caught his own flak.


Sam Cooke might be the greatest pure singer of all time. He was brilliant, I love Bring It On Home To Me among many of his others.

Another amazing talent gone way too soon.


He didn't have hatred in his soul either. Although he experienced Southern oppression and was angry and disgusted by it, it still didn't make him angry at larger America. He had the right to have nothing to do with "us" (meaning white America). He was all for integration and was trying to lead America into that way of thinking before he got shot. Malcolm X of course wanted to segregate in reverse. America lost something big when Cooke was killed. He tried to warn "it" before it was too late. And he was treated like just another black man shot to death in Watts, there wasn't an investigation worthy of his notoriety and of the mysterious circumstances surrounding his death. Watts Riots happened not too long after.
_________________
GOAT MAGIC REEL
SEDALE TRIBUTE
EDDIE DONX!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 19843

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:00 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Tiger is a tough one for me. Just loved him coming up and he was such a great story and inspiration. Then we found out what a POS he is...


Honestly, I didn't have any strong feelings about him as a person going into the doc. But after watching part 1. I feel for him.


My best bud from HS is a cousin of Dina, Tiger's first GF. I remember him telling me about Tiger Woods the first time back in the 90s and I went, "WTF is that? Tiger is his name?" He said no this dude is gonna blow up soon and he did almost right after that. His dad was in one of the home vids they showed. Felt bad for her the way Tiger dumped her. I asked the bro if he remembered anything about that, hasn't answered yet. I vaguely recall him telling me about the letter, too, but this was 95ish, long time ago. I want some insider info on the letter. That was dik'd up on its surface. It sounds like, "I'm about to make a lot of money soon and you're trying to gold dig yourself into it," kind of thing, but note how that instant severance would be repetitive in his life to friends and women alike. My friend's fam are Mormz, tons of them around all the time, nearly all of em jubilant people, friends over there all the time, you felt at home in my friend's home and I'll bet the same deal in OC. Tiger probably realized at one point that he was being sucked in, whether true or not.
_________________
GOAT MAGIC REEL
SEDALE TRIBUTE
EDDIE DONX!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB