Doc Rivers fired (BREAKING NEWS: Rivers signs five year deal with 76ers)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Doc Rivers fired (BREAKING NEWS: Rivers signs five year deal with 76ers)

https://www.nba.com/article/2020/09/28/doc-rivers-out-head-coach-la-clippers

Last edited by CandyCanes on Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Doc Rivers fired

CandyCanes wrote:
https://www.nba.com/article/2020/09/28/doc-rivers-out-head-coach-la-clippers

just saw that .... flameout
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject:

This explains why Phil Jackson was trending...

Although tbh I think this was overdue with Doc.
mde24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Sorry to hear this. Their collapse should be placed on the players shoulders, that's where this failure belongs. Blame those All Star Players who Blew A 3-1 lead. 😂😂😂 Here in LA, all we heard all the time (24/7) was how the Clippers was going to win the Championship! 24 damn 7!!!
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject:

mde24 wrote:
Sorry to hear this. Their collapse should be placed on the players shoulders, that's where this failure belongs. Blame those All Star Players who Blew A 3-1 lead. 😂😂😂 Here in LA, all we heard all the time (24/7) was how the Clippers was going to win the Championship! 24 damn 7!!!

PG hitting the side of the backboard is reminiscent of Sacramento Kings Peja curve balling that 3 pt brick from the corner during the playoffs
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject:

They ubuntu'd his ass right out
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject:

What baffles me is how guys like him and Dantoni continue to get multiple offers from teams despite season after season of failures in the playoffs. Why not try someone new?
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:17 am    Post subject:

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject:

george w kush wrote:
What baffles me is how guys like him and Dantoni continue to get multiple offers from teams despite season after season of failures in the playoffs. Why not try someone new?

My guess is today's NBA is based on MDA's offense which is why he has no problems getting job offers.
The Nightbringer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject:

SAS is saying that Doc should become the coach of the 76ers. Might not be the best idea if Philly is wanting to take that next step.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
This explains why Phil Jackson was trending...

Although tbh I think this was overdue with Doc.

I agree
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject:

george w kush wrote:

Every team’s goal isn’t to make the playoffs. Doc is rumored to be in play in NO and that is where he has had success, making bad teams good. What he doesn’t do is make them great.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject:

george w kush wrote:

Because they’re big names with records of at least some success, and the coaching market right now is a seller’s one. New Orleans messed up by not getting Billy Donovan before Chicago did. Rivers, D’Antoni, and Lue are the best three options right now. Or even Jeff Van Gundy if he chooses to come back.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject:

george w kush wrote:

I don't disagree with you, because all these re-treads are boring. Give someone else a chance. I just think that for maybe 75% of the league, just making the playoffs is a big deal and considered a successful season regardless of how far they advance. Doc and MDA have proven they can squeeze out enough of a team's talent to make it to the playoffs, even if they routinely fail to make it to the conference/NBA finals.

Doc Rivers simply lucked out in Boston. He had a championship team assembled around him while entrenched as the team's coach. He is a "good" coach, but his constantly underachieving teams and blown playoff leads are no fluke. Something is fundamentally wrong with his coaching and/or his locker room management if he's blown a 3-1 series lead THREE times.

Pringles is a one-trick pony. He can only coach one way but he does it well. As the Rockets demonstrated these last few years, the team's success comes and goes as those 3-pointers make or miss. With the right personnel, he can make a team win a lot of RS games and maybe even a playoff series or two. His penchant for playing a small rotation and gimmicky offense are just not sustainable for a deep post season run since teams can focus and game plan better for his team than they can for a RS game.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
george w kush wrote:

Because they’re big names with records of at least some success, and the coaching market right now is a seller’s one. New Orleans messed up by not getting Billy Donovan before Chicago did. Rivers, D’Antoni, and Lue are the best three options right now. Or even Jeff Van Gundy if he chooses to come back.

I can't understand why JVG's name keeps on coming up - or why he even lets it happen for that matter. Leveraging ESPN for more money? The dude hasn't coached in the league in THIRTEEN years. The league is way different now than when he was last on the sidelines.

His 90's-00's era philosophies do not work in today's game and resonate with the current generation of players. Most of these guys playing probably didn't even know he was a coach at one time. He's spent too much time broadcasting that it would be a huge mistake for him to go back to coaching and will just be a failure waiting to happen.
mde24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject:

Pringles is a one-trick pony. He can only coach one way but he does it well. As the Rockets demonstrated these last few years, the team's success comes and goes as those 3-pointers make or miss. With the right personnel, he can make a team win a lot of RS games and maybe even a playoff series or two. His penchant for playing a small rotation and gimmicky offense are just not sustainable for a deep post season run since teams can focus and game plan better for his team than they can for a RS game.[/quote]

Doc's firing opens the door for Pringles re-entry into L.A. He can easily bamboozle Balmer with his record. Balmer's Clipper Crew is basically an above average in height small ball crew. (Aside from Montrell their Bigs are Duds) What? What?? Well... You found me out! Ok, I was trying to sabotage the Clippers 2021 season. No more load management! I kind lost it there, kinda sounded like Joan Crawford yelling ... No more wire hangers! Yeah I was kinda wishing Mike would Kill Kawhi career like he did Kobes, Run that sucka until something pops.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject:

i'd be thrilled if Clipper hires MDA, you think KL needs game managing now, just wait until he plays in MDA system.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
i'd be thrilled if Clipper hires MDA, you think KL needs game managing now, just wait until he plays in MDA system.

Kawhi for Harden straight up— who says no? Paul George can play stretch 4 like Marion did.

Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Kawhi for Harden straight up— who says no? Paul George can play stretch 4 like Marion did.

I feel like Houston says no. Harden for all his warts and flopping at least plays in every game he possibly can. His game is boring because it's so reliant on drawing fouls, but at least he doesn't take off for load management. He also seems to be a far more vocal/emotional leader than Kawhi has ever shown to be whereas Kawhi seems like a quiet diva.

Although Harden hasn't had the post season success Kawhi has had, Kawhi's success has also come as a result of being on teams with good management, personnel, and coaching; things Harden can't necessarily control.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Yay, never cared the the guy, once he donned the green, let him go coach his son in Houston or the kids in New Orleans...!

The best part about it, is that no way Baldmer finds anyone better, so knowing they will have a worse coach who will be looking over his shoulder all year, knowing that anything less than a championship will get him fired is a GREAT thing for the Lakers!
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:03 am    Post subject:

Lot of openings this year, some quality jobs too, not just of teams with losing records.

Houston - His son Austin is there, but unless the Rockets are willing to re-tool, I don't see Doc going there to run mouse-ball.

Philly I think is Doc's best bet, if he wants to sniff a finals this next year. Lot of good players, but many teams in the East are better next year.

NO - maybe the best job for Doc; lower expectations, take the Larry Brown model and make a losing team better with some tweaks and a new attitude. Just getting the Pels to the playoffs puts Doc in the coach of the year discussion.

Pacers - same as above, maybe even lower expectations here.

Thunder - how well did Paul and Doc get along?
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Amazing how this guy keeps failing into great jobs.

numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:

Philly I think is Doc's best bet, if he wants to sniff a finals this next year. Lot of good players, but many teams in the East are better next year.
?

You called it.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject:

How would you fix the 76ers? I would trade Embiid for a wing + PG. Something like Embiid + Horford for Middleton + Bledsoe + Lopez.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject:

I would try to trade Simmons, if he can’t shoot he limits what the team can do.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: