LAKERS -vs- NUGGETS - 9/24 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -vs- NUGGETS - 9/24 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

The 3-1 Series Lead... Now...can the Lakers finish the Nuggets off?

This was a tight game from start to finish. The Lakers grabbed an early lead as they pulled Dwight into the starting unit. He’d bring his A game and bring the Lakers a double-double in the first half to help them to an 18-2 advantage on second chance points. He dominated the interior, helped the Lakers be the aggressor and we threw in some wrinkles into our 3-2 zone early on to mix things up.

The Lakers grabbed a small lead off all that … and they never let it go.

Vogel gambled in the fourth. He didn’t bring Dwight back, opting to go smaller with Morris. The Lakers held onto the lead, but Jamal Murray was coming on strong. He’d made tough bucket after bucket.

LeBron asked for the assignment defensively in the final minutes and Vogel granted it. Murray tried to attack off the high screen and feed Jokic, but Morris came up with a steal. He tried to pull over Rondo for a switch, but LeBron stayed with him stride for stride and Murray wasn’t giving up the ball. They tried to work the dibble handoff but LeBron went under the screen, tracked Murray on the drive and blocked him.

The Lakers were able to scratch out a few buckets off those as the pace picked up. They also manufactured freethrows and got a couple key offensive boards down the stretch. It was a tight game, intense, but the Lakers kept the Nuggets just at arm’s length down the stretch with some great D to hold onto the 114-108 win to extend their series lead to 3-1.

“We got one win to get to the NBA Finals, but we know it’s going to be the toughest one, right?” Vogel told the team. The Nuggets know how to play with their back’s against the wall. The Lakers will need to meet that sense of urgency in the next one. They’ll also need to fix that fourth quarter offense that slows to a grind.

LeBron -- -- Let’s talk about the D first. Late in the game, LeBron told Rondo to defend someone else and he took on Murray. Twice he got stops at the rim against Murray. Just huge plays. “Just high hands, meet him at the rim and hopefully he misses a couple,” LeBron said. When things aren’t going well, you find a way. At his age, that was impressive as Murray had it going. He also had a great challenge on Jokic in the corner, too. I love, though, that we threw this at the Nuggets late in a game. We saw it for a possession or two early on and wondered if they would pull that out late in a game some time. We turned some of these stops into scores. Offensively, he was really dibbling the air out of the ball tonight at times. Part of this is the Nuggets packing the paint. For the most part he attacked from the top of the arc. We didn’t have the post action like in the last game. But part of it is LeBron just playing slow. I’m not sure I’ve talked more in a game than this one … and quite a bit of it was imploring us to play with pace. We had five-out lineups out there in the fourth so he could attack, but he really stayed perimeter oriented, he pounded the ball, looked at the seams for a long time as the D loaded up and waited. I think you saw the difference when Rondo got after it in those situations. He was quicker to go, more decisive and it caused the Nuggets problems. Our best offensive sequences in this game were when the ball was moving and the D couldn’t load up. Get the ball moving from one side to the other and then attack quick off that. Prior to this one, the Lakers called the league on their BS officiating on LeBron. Tonight, LeBron made 11-14 from the line. He did a good job on some plays making the officials call something (swing throughs, getting contact and going down). He was really emotional afterward talking about Breonna Taylor and black women. “Our hearts are with that family and that city,” he said. He was biting his lip, trying not to break into tears while speaking. This right after winning a hard-fought WCF game. We’ve asked a lot from him. The Stats: He scored 26 points on 7-18 shooting (1-3 from three, 11-14 from the line) to go with 9 boards, 8 assists and 2 fouls in 38 minutes. He was a +8.

Davis -- -- We went to him on the left block to post up the Nuggets for the first several minutes. He quickly got Millsap into foul trouble. The Nuggets tried to sag and send late help. He kept scoring. He had 14 points on 6-6 shooting in that first quarter (no rebounds). He’d finish with 19 points (7-10 shooting) and no boards in the half. As they started to send doubles and make him a passer, he had some issues in those situations. That cooled the early post-up action, but damage was done. Passing out of doubles has always been difficult for him. He had Dwight open a few times in this one and didn’t see it. I’m not sure I’d expect a dramatic change in that passing even if we did a better job moving off ball. I suspect the Nuggets won’t leave defenders on an island early in the next one. He’s better on the move, drawing a defender and making the simple read (he had one of those to KCP for a corner three). AD had another game with just 1 rebound after three quarters. I guess it’s good to put a small disclaimer here in that Dwight was gobbling up boards and we generally don’t have him rebounding missed FTs (Rondo gave up a huge putback on a missed FT in one of those in this game). Better job in the fourth in that regard, including a key tap out late. Good job sinking his FTs. In the hold-your-breath category, he came down on a jumpshot and twisted an ankle. Hopefully, that doesn’t stiffen up after this one. The Stats: He scored 34 points on 10-15 shooting (1-3 from three, 13-14 from the line) to go with 5 boards, 3 assists, 3 steals, 3 turnovers and 2 fouls in 41 minutes. He was a +1.

Green -- -- He had the team high +12, but we sat him late in the game to run more Rondo, AC and KCP. Guys who were a little faster on D and, well, probably, more likely to hit a shot. Green made one three in this one. He sank one of those transition wing threes that seem to be his bread and butter. That was his only contribution on that end. The Stats: He scored 3 points on 1=6 shooting (1-4 from three) to go with 3 boards and 3 fouls in 21 minutes. He was a +12.

Howard -- -- Proud of Dwight in this one. He reeled in the unnecessary stuff that drew whistles, and played like we needed him to stay in the game. The Basketball Gods look kindly upon this. With the Lakers first loss, Vogel finally pulled the trigger on rearranging the rotations and pulled Dwight into the starting unit. It’s about time. Right away, he got to the offensive boards. He had 8 points and 8 boards in 9 minutes in the first quarter (and just 1 foul). That killed the Nuggets and they were still talking about it after the game. He was a +6 in that first quarter. He was playing fairly conservatively defensively as far as challenges. We brought him back in the second with 5 minutes left, he’d get another And-1 putback dunk and he’d avoid getting another foul. So at the half, the Nuggets were clearly going to discuss Dwight as he had 10 points and 11 boards (6 offensive) and focus on that. Vogel did them a favor, though. We played Dwight to start the third quarter, but we never brought him back. You can’t argue with the results, but our impact with Dwight on the floor versus has consistently been strong. A lot of opportunity to hit Dwight in the low post or for lobs early in the third and we didn’t pull the trigger on the passes, even settling for a long LeBron stepback three miss instead on one. I’m continually annoyed by us ignoring that. We just keep missing him for some easy ones. We probably dodged a bullet sitting Dwight in the fourth. The Stats: He scored 12 points on 5-6 shooting (2-3 from the line) to go with 11 boards (6 offensive), 1 assist, 1 steal and 2 fouls in 23 minutes. He was a +7.

Caldwell-Pope -- -- A couple big plays by KCP late in this one. He hit a huge three trailing the break with 5:14 left. Those are big shots (he’d miss a big one with 35 seconds left, but we need that perimeter shooting (3-9 from three). He also had a steal under the hoop late in the game to get a stop. Earlier in that second half, he had a great baseline attack as we swung the ball to him in the corner. We need to get more of that quick catch and go action when the D is on the move. Just not enough of it. Lakers made 10-30 threes tonight. Just hitting a couple more in this one made the difference. KCP led the team in that regard. The Stats: He scored 13 points on 5-12 shooting (3-9 from three) to go with 2 boards, 1 assist, 1 steal, 1 block, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 34 minutes. He was a +4.

Kuzma -- -- He had 10 points on 4-10 shooting in the first half, sinking a couple of threes on six attempts. He’d also score on a weak-to-strong cut off LeBron’s wing faceup (that might have been the only play like that we had...Morris had a similar one). He had a couple fly-bys on Porter to close the third that allowed the Nuggets to go on an 11-4 run when Porter hit a couple of threes on him. We went to Morris in the fourth, Kuzma didn’t return for the final 9 minutes. I think those poor closeouts really chilled him on seeing action. Next game he needs to pull up short with hands up and see if Porter pumpfakes and you stall the play out. Passing wise, Kuz had a nice read in the second half when two men closed out to him and he fired it under the hoop to AD instead of settling for a contested three. The Stats: He scored 10 points on 4-11 shooting (2-7 from three) to go with 1 assist, 1 steal, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 19 minutes. He was a +0.

Caruso -- -- It seemed like he was the guy getting whistled for the cheap fouls tonight (he’d finish with 5 fouls in 20 minutes). Just one steal. I’m not sure which play it was on as I thought he had two steals. One on a blitz with LeBron that led to a breakaway score for LeBron. We haven’t seen a lot of that in this series, but that was certainly the M.O. in our first series in the playoffs. The other, swiping the ball from Jokic who was driving. AC’s only points on a corner three on a kickout. I’d like to see him a little more aggressive getting into the paint. If KCP can make it happen AC can, too. Obviously, it’s a little easier for him against the smaller Rockets to do that, so it was on his mind. But we’re better when we have others penetrating on the catch. The Stats: He scored 3 points on 1-4 shooting (1-2 from three) to go with 1 board, 2 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 1 turnover and 5 fouls in 20 minutes. He was a -1.

Rondo -- -- There was a lot to like offensively from Rondo in this one. He had several attacks against Jokic off the two-man game. If the Nuggets give him a lane, he’s taking it and not waiting. If the D can get under the screen and recover, that’s what they want. Rondo went quick several times. There was a key stretch in the second half with Rondo where he sank a wing three against the shotclock. He then hit KCP on a SLOB inbounds for a layup. He then got a step on his man and attacked that for a layup with some soft touch. My favorite play was the quick roll into a two-man sequence with AD in the corner as we had the Denver D scrambling, that led to a lob to AD for an easy dunk. When we can attack quickly like that good things happen. He also hit a huge elbow jumper with 2:45 left as we got out in transition. Those late transition opportunities off defensive stops were key. Some big plays late on the offensive end crashing the glass or knocking a ball off a Nugget to regain a possession. His offensive board with 32 seconds left led to a made FT when he was fouled. Every possession counts in the playoffs. He had the -9, but he made a positive impact. Glad LeBron took over late on D. The Stats: He scored 11 points on 4-6 shooting (1-1 from three, 2-4 from the line) to go with 5 boards (2 offensive), 7 assists, 1 turnover and 3 fouls in 22 minutes. He was a -9.

McGee -- -- We sent him to the bench to help man the second unit that got burned to open that second quarter last time. McGee’s size helped the Lakers actually be a net positive during that stretch. We did not bring him back in the fourth quarter as we gambled going small with Morris again. No Dwight in that fourth quarter, either. The Stats: He didn’t score or shoot and had 1 board in 5 minutes. We were a +5.

Morris -- -- A lot of time against Jokic defensively late. I’m not sure if Jokic was tired but we got away with that. Until a couple fouls sent Morris to the bench. He had a sloppy screen using his hands a little with 1:45 left for a key turnover. He’d then pick up his sixth foul a few seconds later on the other end against Murray. But prior to that he had nice steal on a two-man defensive sequence, showing on Murray and able to get down and swipe the return pass to Jokic...huge play with that LeBron/Morris defensive combo. He scored his only points getting a layup on an off ball curl (more please). Honestly, you could have made a strong case for bringing in Dwight in that fourth, making the Nuggets match up big, but I think we wanted that five-out offense. Unfortunately, we did a really poor job taking advantage of that. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 1-2 shooting (0-1 from three) to go with 4 boards, 2 steals, 2 turnovers and 6 fouls in 17 minutes. He was a +5.

Vogel -- -- Key Moment: LeBron taking Murray down the stretch. We got a couple of key stops and it also led us to change ends and play with some pace late in the game. That was huge. “LeBron asked for the assignment and, obviously, I granted it,” Vogel said.

Key Substitution: Obviously, moving Dwight into the starting lineup had the Nuggets on their heels. Vogel said he set the tone. “We like to start the series with the lineup we played throughout the season,” Vogel said, and then adjust from there. Personally, I mentioned we should have done this in the last game because we should have treated the second game like a loss and adjusted going into game three. Vogel also played with a 3-2 zone early on with AD out top. That was a different look, possibly trying to take away the middle from Jokic against those zones. So we ran Dwight early and had him as the big on the second line of D, but we also threw a wrinkle in early AD up high. All of that got the team off to a good start.

Key Stat: A 25-6 advantage on second-chance points. Dwight set the tone in that first quarter beasting on the offensive glass. The advantage in this stat was almost all in that first half (18-2).

Coach’s Challenge: With 5:34 left, Vogel called a timeout to challenge LeBron fouling Murray on a switch. Any kind of contact here at the refs will keep their call. Seemed like a very tough one to overturn and they were denied. Denver challenged a LeBron foul with 59 seconds left that was unsuccessful.
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:01 pm    Post subject:

Awesome as always DB!
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Wow Rondo was -9. That did not meet my eye test.
lordtrapula
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:12 pm    Post subject:

someway, somehow

I know Bron didn't play that great on the offensive end (for his standards) but he deserves props for those defensive final last 6 minutes in the 4th. His defense on Murray coupled with LA waking up on the boards won us the game.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:20 pm    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:

Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, DB! I had to listen to the game on satellite radio (Nuggets feed) and you filled in the gaps (and the bias) perfectly.
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:43 pm    Post subject:

I think Danny Green opted out.....and just didn't let anybody know
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:05 pm    Post subject:

Team played with passion and commitment
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:18 pm    Post subject:

We are getting a little better around the fringes. Learning our rules.

- More minutes for Dwight to get more second chances.
- Step up screens for Rondo to attack quickly and prevent the Nuggets from going under.
- Blitzing Murray when Jokic is out.
- LeBron as a Murray defender late.
- McGee early in the second quarter to help us play bigger.
- LeBron seeking out Porter on switches.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:08 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB! Good result, excellent write-up! This was a pivotal game IMO. Denver seemed to have the Lakers figured out, and their roster was giving us problems, but step by step Vogel is countering with adjustments of his own. I think he knows what he was doing and I don't think he's done making adjustments.

Now Malone's near the end of his runway and has a new puzzle to answer. Will Denver's 1-3 comeback playoff story continue? Or will the 4-1 Laker playoff series win streak prevail once again??

Hoping AD's ankle is fine tomorrow. If he's good to go, my guess is this series ends Saturday.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:14 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

- Step up screens for Rondo to attack quickly and prevent the Nuggets from going under.

Another great write up DB. Just wanted to respond to the summary and this:

I completely agree Vogel likely got away with his rotation usage, especially in the 4th. It seemed completely strange to not use Dwight for a stretch there, especially when the Nugs were just getting in the middle with impunity. I get he was probably thinking "save him for Jokic" (who had foul trouble), but that doesnt mean you just have him sit by when the D was becoming sieve-like...especially when he started the fourth with the lineup we know can be pretty horrific vs the Nugs, our micro ball lineup without AD (Kieff at Center)...it lasted briefly, but was just mind-boggling.

I also agree their usage of Dwight on offense could be vastly better. Seemed at times they just ignored him entirely and were playing 4 on 5 on offense, even if he had good position in the interior.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:53 am    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

Another great write up DB. Just wanted to respond to the summary and this:

I completely agree Vogel likely got away with his rotation usage, especially in the 4th. It seemed completely strange to not use Dwight for a stretch there, especially when the Nugs were just getting in the middle with impunity. I get he was probably thinking "save him for Jokic" (who had foul trouble), but that doesnt mean you just have him sit by when the D was becoming sieve-like...especially when he started the fourth with the lineup we know can be pretty horrific vs the Nugs, our micro ball lineup without AD (Kieff at Center)...it lasted briefly, but was just mind-boggling.

I also agree their usage of Dwight on offense could be vastly better. Seemed at times they just ignored him entirely and were playing 4 on 5 on offense, even if he had good position in the interior.

Could age/conditioning be a factor with Dwight's minutes?

For that matter, I believe last night was at least the 2nd time this series that Vogel called double timeouts in the 4th. Was Vogel trying to get extra rest for LeBron?
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:03 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
CRoost wrote:

goes to show that numbers don't tell the whole story. Despite that Rondo had a positive impact on this game.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:08 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

Noticed all the same, aside from Lebron on Porter. However, I will add that we did try microball for a few moments to start the 4th and had Morris in there and it seemed to me it was positive. No McGee in the 2nd half. And when AD came in, Morris kept defending the 5 (Jokic even when he came back in). I thought Morris did a pretty solid job on defense at the 5.

I think we are a team that has so much versatility that it keeps teams guessing what we can do and what we are going to do. They most often just do not have an answer. Lebron went from being a PG, to wing, to a post up guy in this game. AD slides from the post, mid-range and as a 3 point shooter. We just got to understand what attack areas we want them in, in response to what the opposing defense is giving us. Which is why Rondos IQ (And Brons) becomes key.

The only thing that concerns me and this is even if we move beyond this series, is that Lebron is settling for a lot of 1 on 4 sequences in the halfcourt and it is something dating back to the start of 2019-20 regular season (Almost 11 months ago). We have to get Lebron to see the benefits of being in the post or mid-wing in those isolations, vs trying to break down the opposing defense off the dribble. When they pack the paint like that, we need to avoid the trap of playing Lebron on the dribble as much as we can. Lebron should be a on the dribble threat when teams respect the shooters and do not pack the paint. But when he just holds the ball and allows them to completely settle in the paint, it hurts us more than helps us.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:29 am    Post subject:

LeBron ok? He was settling for long jumpers a lot more than usual even when Jokic was switched to him, didn’t attack the basket... the knee to the thigh? The zone/lack of movement?
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject:

Thanks, DB!

Jesus, that was stressful. After 10 years I almost forgot the tension
Despite leading for most of the game, we couldn't shake the Nuggets. This team don't quit, game 5 will be a battle.

I liked Vogel's adjustments. Starting Dwight was key for us to build that early lead. Rondo and KCP balled.

But I'm still kinda concerned with our half court offense. LeBron settling for ill advised jumpers, not enough off ball movement...
Killer_Z
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:57 am    Post subject:

Awesome job DB, thank you.

Hopefully more Howard and Rondo on Saturday.
akgolf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:21 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB!
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:13 am    Post subject:

Lakers are now 52-0 (regular + playoffs) this season when leading to start the 4th quarter.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject:

I do think Bron's on the dribble step-back fade problem is a function of Denver not respecting our shooters and packing the paint, plus tired legs for LeBron. Even more so as he takes on the role of defending Murray late in the game. This is where Playoff Rondo and AD are coming up huge.

As for not playing Dwight late, I don't understand it, but I wonder if his FT shooting is a factor? Is that also why he didn't get a lot of shots? I'd think Jokic and Milsap both fouling out defending Dwight would make up for a missed FT or two.

As it was, the offense wasn't pretty but the defense held, in spite of not having Dwight out there late game.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject:

LeBron looked like he was hobbling a bit after the game. Hope he’s alright.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB !!!

I need to continue to take my low dose aspirin....these
games can kill ya...
winghin8
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject:

Can anyone explain why Vogel decided to go with Morris instead of Howard in the forth?I dont understand it.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject:

winghin8 wrote:
Can anyone explain why Vogel decided to go with Morris instead of Howard in the forth?I dont understand it.

Morris played well defensively. Vogel need the spacing for Lebron to break down the wall. Plus Jokic was in foul trouble . Good job by Vogel in managing the personnel accordingy.
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject:

winghin8 wrote:

To spread the floor so they can’t pack the paint like Denver did in the last couple of games. Also, there is the hack a Howard issue down the stretch.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: