šŸˆNFL 2023 DISCUSSION THREADšŸˆ
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 195, 196, 197 ... 333, 334, 335  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Time to see Burrow and the Bengals are all about.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Spectacular defensive play by KC. Thatā€™s ball game if KC doesnā€™t choke.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:42 pm    Post subject:

Pass interference has become a joke. The inconsistency in the way it is called is ridiculous.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:05 pm    Post subject:

That was an ugly win. Bengals beat themselves. Hitting Mahomes when he was out of bounds was a killer penalty.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Mahomes was hobbled. I saw a few plays where if his ankle was not injured he would have taken off. He has 2 weeks to heal.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:07 pm    Post subject:

"I want to thank God."

"Burrowhead, my ass"

"As I said, I want to thank God."

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Itā€™s a bummer to lose because of a stupid penalty. But you have to keep your head in those situations.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:12 pm    Post subject:

That outcome the way it went down feels cheap and undeserved in my opinion for Kansas City.

As I pointed out well before the game, they get an incredible number of borderline or flat out bad calls in their favor.

No way that last penalty was called if it had been someone other than Patrick Mahomes barely stepping out of bounds.

Should have gone to OT for sure.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Burrow needs line help but this league has some good qbs .

Iā€™m taking joe b over everyone
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:16 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Mahomes was hobbled. I saw a few plays where if his ankle was not injured he would have taken off. He has 2 weeks to heal.

I hope the Eagles tee off on his ass, he is a great player but the Jordan Treatment from the refs is over the top.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
"I want to thank God."

"Burrowhead, my ass"

"As I said, I want to thank God."

Stay classy Travis.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:51 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
That outcome the way it went down feels cheap and undeserved in my opinion for Kansas City.

As I pointed out well before the game, they get an incredible number of borderline or flat out bad calls in their favor.

No way that last penalty was called if it had been someone other than Patrick Mahomes barely stepping out of bounds.

Thatā€™s another bogus area where the officiating is intentionally inconsistent. I canā€™t even count the number of times the on air league rules consultant has justified a non-call on that exact same play because the action of the shove started prior to the player going out. That said, never give the official the chance to screw you on the call.

Then of course, there was the bogus pass interference call on the series prior that went in favor of KC that the same guy said wasnā€™t a penalty. I donā€™t expect 100% accuracy or consistency because thatā€™s impossible. But the league had gotten continuously more egregious in its inconsistencies. Like the alleged fumble in the Eagles game. Thereā€™s no way the incomplete should have been overturned because you donā€™t overturn on field calls without conclusive evidence. Snd yet the conclusive evidence indicated the arm and ball were moving forward when the ball came loose (which is why the ball moved forward and not backward or down). And we got a perfect example of what happens to the ball when it comes out prior to forward motion in the KC game when Mahomes fumbled the ball when starting to pass: IT WENT BACKWARD!
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:52 pm    Post subject:

I don't know you get over that if you're a Bengals fan. The officiating was just so cruelly unfair to them that you have to wonder. At least, I do. You have to wonder how certain calls are seen by the officials and certain ones are not and when almost all of them seem to favor one side in the 4th quarter. The "replayed" free 3rd down where they claimed the back judge had come in to stop the play...yet literally every single player, all 22 of them on the field, never stopped and went through with the play. Twenty-two players on the field and none of them stopped playing. If that happens, guess what? YOU FAILED TO STOP THE PLAY. Neither side was harmed by what administrative issues needed to be corrected, so they simply could have done so after the fact, as far as adjusting the time left. It had nothing to do with the play that was run. And then of course, on the free 3rd down, they call the Bengals for a penalty after they had sacked Mahomes. By the way, the Bengals defense still got off the field after that without allowing points.

The intentional grounding call was a complete and utter farce. Of course he got rid of it to avoid the sack, and yes, the ball landed at the feet of an offensive lineman, but Perine was absolutely in the area, just 3-4 yards from the ball. They always give latitude to the QB's on these type of plays, and part of that is a safety issue for the QB. He was absolutely in the area and even though the Bengals picked up the first down after that, it still had a big effect on the game because it affected field position and it was late in the game.

After the Bengals were forced to punt, there was a clear and obvious block in the back on the punt return, so obvious that I saw it live and yelled. Because the punt returner, Skyy Moore, ran close to the area where it happened, it should have been easily spotted. Of course, the officials don't notice that one, right?

And finally, on the fateful final scramble where Mahomes was hit out of bounds, yes, that's a penalty and it should have been flagged. However, and this is also something I saw live as it happened because it was so obvious, there was clear holding on the play by the KC offensive line, and it happened right as Mahomes escaped the pocket. There's some form of holding on almost every play, but it's much easier to see when a lineman gets on an island, so to speak, and the QB runs right into that area. Of course, they don't happen to see that one either. In fact, I've seen replays of this where there were actually two KC offensive linemen clearly, clearly holding and grabbing on the play, allowing Mahomes to escape. Again, of course they don't happen to see either hold. And on the Ossai late hit out of bounds, of course they see that perfectly and call it.
https://twitter.com/Rob_Shenanigans/status/1619897027378417664

Think of what Cincy would have had to overcome from the officials that heavily swung win probability. On the free, "replayed" third down, KC was alllowed another chance to keep the drive alive in a tie game in the latter half of the 4th quarter. The defense gets what they think is a sack, only to have the officials call a penalty, which of course they catch. The defense still gets off the field after that. Then the bogus intentional grounding call makes it 3rd and long, greatly increasing the odds of the drive stalling for the Bengals. They pick up the 1st down anyway, but in losing field position, this becomes critical on the ensuing series of downs. On the punt, if they call the blatant block in the back like they should have, KC is pinned back with very little time left and we're almost certainly headed for OT. And on the final scramble, if they call holding like they should have, it's offsetting penalties and now KC is down to 8 seconds, with no timeouts, at about the 50 or so, meaning that we probably head to OT because they would've needed a 15-yard play to the sidelines to get close enough to FG range on a frigid night. (Butker's 45-yarder did not cross the goalpost by much.)

KC was not the better team on the field, especially after they were forced to play shorthanded with all those injuries, and they needed the officials' help to win that game. It was egregious and it is pretty obvious that the league wanted KC in the Super Bowl.

It also just occurred to me that last year's Super Bowl referee was Ron Torbort, the same referee from this game. The Bengals were pretty ticked about that pass interference call on 3rd and goal that the Rams got, and rightfully so. Is Torbort the Scott Foster-esque person that is supposed to go in and help the "marquee" team?

I'm not even a Bengals fan and I'm still seething. I hate unfairness.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:25 pm    Post subject:

^
Two other things that went against the Bengals. One, Burrow took a bit of a late hit on what I believe was the Bengals final drive or penultimate drive of the game, a borderline call that of course Torbort didn't deem worthy of a penalty. And two, on that play where MVS extended by ball to the plain of the first down marker and they deemed it a successful KC challenge, that was applied incorrectly, I believe. This isn't the goal line, where the play is over as soon as the ball breaks the plain. It isn't a forward progress situation either, because he's not being driven backward. He extends the ball, yes, but he wasn't down yet, and then, rather than forward progress applying if he had been driven back, he voluntarily pulls the ball back, and then he went down. The ball should have been spotted, then, where he went down, not where he extended it the furthest. And while it would have been 4th down and short and while they probably would have picked up the first down anyway, I have two points here. One, you can't just assume that they would have picked it up on 4th and at least a half-yard, and two, it would've meant that KC would've been out of challenges and it would have cost them a timeout, which may have been a factor at the end of the game.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:49 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
Two other things that went against the Bengals. One, Burrow took a bit of a late hit on what I believe was the Bengals final drive or penultimate drive of the game, a borderline call that of course Torbort didn't deem worthy of a penalty. And two, on that play where MVS extended by ball to the plain of the first down marker and they deemed it a successful KC challenge, that was applied incorrectly, I believe. This isn't the goal line, where the play is over as soon as the ball breaks the plain. It isn't a forward progress situation either, because he's not being driven backward. He extends the ball, yes, but he wasn't down yet, and then, rather than forward progress applying if he had been driven back, he voluntarily pulls the ball back, and then he went down. The ball should have been spotted, then, where he went down, not where he extended it the furthest. And while it would have been 4th down and short and while they probably would have picked up the first down anyway, I have two points here. One, you can't just assume that they would have picked it up on 4th and at least a half-yard, and two, it would've meant that KC would've been out of challenges and it would have cost them a timeout, which may have been a factor at the end of the game.

Furthermore on first down, forward progress was already stopped before he even extended the ball, and we all know that you donā€™t have to be down for forward progress to end. Also as you point out, in line of conversion for a first down is not a plain to be broken and once it is that gain has been achieved. If a player crosses the first down line , but the runs backward to try and get more yards but gets tackled short of the first, the ball gets marked where the player goes down (in situations where the player was not in the process of already being tackled).

As far as roughing the QB, on the bad intentional grounding call, KC totally slammed Burrow to the ground well after he released the ball. If any, that play should have at least been offsetting penalties.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:04 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

Rules are rules. If you hit a player when he's out of bounds unnecessary roughness is a penalty. Mahomes was clearly out of bounds. He took 3 maybe 4 steps out of bounds before he was hit.

If Ossai had pulled up I can see the call not being made. He didn't, he clearly shoved Mahomes with bad intentions. LINK The call is made regardless of who the QB/player is.

Joseph Ossai said it was a mistake. He was clearly distraught and in tears. He felt his mistake may have caused his team the game and a trip to the SB.

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Look at this out of bounds hit not called on KC

https://www.reddit.com/r/bengals/comments/10orckx/earlier_in_the_4th_quarter_this_was_not_a_late_hit/
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:20 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bengals/comments/10orckx/earlier_in_the_4th_quarter_this_was_not_a_late_hit/

What I see is first contact was made inbounds. Continuous contact was caused by momentum.

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:41 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

What I see is first contact was made inbounds. Continuous contact was caused by momentum.

The second defender actually stopped at the out of bounds line and leapt for a tackle out of bounds.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:22 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

The second defender actually stopped at the out of bounds line and leapt for a tackle out of bounds.

You're right. I didn't see that until you mentioned it. I was focused on the first tackler. After seeing it, and taking into account the second tackler's hit, an unnecessary roughness call would have been appropriate. šŸ‘šŸ¾

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:25 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Thatā€™s another bogus area where the officiating is intentionally inconsistent. I canā€™t even count the number of times the on air league rules consultant has justified a non-call on that exact same play because the action of the shove started prior to the player going out. That said, never give the official the chance to screw you on the call.

Then of course, there was the bogus pass interference call on the series prior that went in favor of KC that the same guy said wasnā€™t a penalty. I donā€™t expect 100% accuracy or consistency because thatā€™s impossible. But the league had gotten continuously more egregious in its inconsistencies. Like the alleged fumble in the Eagles game. Thereā€™s no way the incomplete should have been overturned because you donā€™t overturn on field calls without conclusive evidence. Snd yet the conclusive evidence indicated the arm and ball were moving forward when the ball came loose (which is why the ball moved forward and not backward or down). And we got a perfect example of what happens to the ball when it comes out prior to forward motion in the KC game when Mahomes fumbled the ball when starting to pass: IT WENT BACKWARD!

The entire game was a travesty and people always say "well the calls even out" but they didn't here and it cost Cincinnati a chance to win the Super Bowl.

I don't expect them to get every call right, but when a QB is running along the sideline and playing games about if he going to step out of bounds or not suddenly, it is asking a lot from a defender running at full speed to ascertain that perfectly. With the Super Bowl on the line in that situation, you hold the flag and let the players determine the outcome in overtime.

Everyone watching that game knows that is was a cheap call and it was after the Bengals had already been screwed multiple times in the game by questionable, non-existent or simply bad calls.

Meanwhile Kelce commits offensive pass interference on about 50% of his receptions and they NEVER call it on him. Tell me a guy like Darren Waller or Noah Fant would be allowed to do the same and I just have to laugh.

Hopefully the refs do a better job in the Super Bowl than they did on Sunday in Kansas City because it was a disgrace and the better team (in my opinion) is now sitting home because of it.
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:08 pm    Post subject:

What are the chances KC beat Philly in the Superbowl?
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:09 pm    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:

Philly has the better team, which is unfortunate because it has the worst and most vicious fans in the nation.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:27 pm    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:

Iā€™m taking them. Doesnā€™t mean much as I have been wrong all postseason. Mahomes just seems like ā€œthat guyā€
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
ksmgf wrote:

Iā€™m taking them. Doesnā€™t mean much as I have been wrong all postseason. Mahomes just seems like ā€œthat guyā€

I heard on the radio today that Mahomes has played 1 good qt out of 8 in the SB.

2 TD 4 INT in the SB so far in 2 games.

Quote:
Patrick Mahomes has a passer rating of 64.2 with 556 yards, 2 touchdowns and 4 interceptions in 2 games in Super Bowls in his career.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 195, 196, 197 ... 333, 334, 335  Next
Page 196 of 335
Jump to: