panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Halflife wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
I’ve never had a problem with the OT rules. But I understand how an offensive showcase like last nights could sway people to think twice about them.

its not only that. they have spent the last decade making it a more offensive-friendly league to up scoring. So that also tips the balance to a good offensive team who wins flip.

In the playoffs the teams that won the coin toss are 10-1.

Then it’s not fair!

A handful of those games had change of possession in OT.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:30 pm    Post subject:

The OT Rules weren't Buffalo's problem, their problem was a comedy of errors and terrible strategy once the clock hit 13 seconds.

Unlucky 13 indeed, other than just lying down and letting them score intentionally, I can't imagine a worse strategy.

McDermott was not in the moment unfortunately right then and his staff either.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Sean Payton out in NO. Be interesting to see if Dallas or some other team tries to poach him. Or maybe he's just going to take the year off.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Sean Payton to Dallas makes too much sense, but it won't happen because Jones will be too hesitant to fire McCarthy, even though one more inevitable below-expectations year will be the final straw after the '22 season. I also question whether or not Jones would be willing to basically cede total control to Payton as far as actual personnel on the field goes; I'm not saying Payton would demand to be the GM, but he wouldn't give a crap about giving all that work to Ezekiel Elliott when there's a much more explosive RB behind him on the depth chart. A coach like Sean Payton isn't going to want to sign up for behind-the-scenes shananigans at this stage of his career.

I also can't see him going for a gig like Chicago or the Giants, where there isn't a clear winning QB in place. I'd say that Denver would be wise to get him if they land Aaron Rodgers, but I doubt that Denver is going to be willing to wait that long to hire its coach, and they seem likely go either go with Dan Quinn or Nathaniel Hackett, conveniently the Packers' OC. So most likely, Payton takes a year off, perhaps works in television for 2022, and then returns to his pick of the litter in 2023.

This won't happen, but if I'm the Chargers and I have Justin Herbert and I have Joe Lombardi as OC (who did he used to work for, folks?), I'd ditch Staley and hire Payton in a second, if he were willing to do it. And given Tom Telesco's very iffy track record of drafting, giving Payton some personnel power may not be the worst thing in the world, either, if they had to do that. It would also make a huge splash as the Chargers try for more market share in this area. But yeah, it won't happen.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject:

^
Payton just said at his long press conference that he is not retiring but that he will not coach in 2022, and is interested in doing some TV work in the short term. It all sounds like he is going to take the year off and then have his pick of the litter in 2023.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:31 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Sean Payton out in NO. Be interesting to see if Dallas or some other team tries to poach him. Or maybe he's just going to take the year off.

Sean is more than likely going to the broadcast booth
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject:

The cynic in me wonders why he's really doing this.

I think he realizes there is no light at the end of the tunnel post Brees (which is probably true) or something is about to come out about him and he's stepping down beforehand.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
Payton just said at his long press conference that he is not retiring but that he will not coach in 2022, and is interested in doing some TV work in the short term. It all sounds like he is going to take the year off and then have his pick of the litter in 2023.

Was he burned out or pushed out?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

Definitely not pushed out. They love him there. He's apparently been thinking about this for at least a couple of years, coinciding with Brees' thoughts on retiring. I think after the long run with Brees, he's just burnt out. They got him to come back this year but they didn't find a clear QB successor with either Winston or Hill, and with their horrible cap situation, I think he just felt this was the right time to step away. Gayle Benson and Mickey Loomis were aware that this was a possibility.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:48 pm    Post subject:

If the Saints decide to sell their veteran players and go for a teardown-style rebuild (they are $74MM over the cap), Kamara and Michael Thomas are going to be interesting players to follow, and the same with RT Ryan Ramcyzk. LT Terron Armstead is a free agent and will likely be playing elsewhere. LG Andrus Peat had another injury-marred season. Lots of questions now in the Big Easy.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:

I think he realizes there is no light at the end of the tunnel post Brees (which is probably true) or something is about to come out about him and he's stepping down beforehand.

16 years is a long time in sports to stay in one place.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Sean Payton to Dallas makes too much sense, but it won't happen because Jones will be too hesitant to fire McCarthy, even though one more inevitable below-expectations year will be the final straw after the '22 season. I also question whether or not Jones would be willing to basically cede total control to Payton as far as actual personnel on the field goes; I'm not saying Payton would demand to be the GM, but he wouldn't give a crap about giving all that work to Ezekiel Elliott when there's a much more explosive RB behind him on the depth chart. A coach like Sean Payton isn't going to want to sign up for behind-the-scenes shananigans at this stage of his career.

I also can't see him going for a gig like Chicago or the Giants, where there isn't a clear winning QB in place. I'd say that Denver would be wise to get him if they land Aaron Rodgers, but I doubt that Denver is going to be willing to wait that long to hire its coach, and they seem likely go either go with Dan Quinn or Nathaniel Hackett, conveniently the Packers' OC. So most likely, Payton takes a year off, perhaps works in television for 2022, and then returns to his pick of the litter in 2023.

This won't happen, but if I'm the Chargers and I have Justin Herbert and I have Joe Lombardi as OC (who did he used to work for, folks?), I'd ditch Staley and hire Payton in a second, if he were willing to do it. And given Tom Telesco's very iffy track record of drafting, giving Payton some personnel power may not be the worst thing in the world, either, if they had to do that. It would also make a huge splash as the Chargers try for more market share in this area. But yeah, it won't happen.

If Ryan Pace were still with the Bears I could see them throwing cash at Payton. Both are Eastern Illinois alumni.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:55 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

Definitely not pushed out. They love him there. He's apparently been thinking about this for at least a couple of years, coinciding with Brees' thoughts on retiring. I think after the long run with Brees, he's just burnt out. They got him to come back this year but they didn't find a clear QB successor with either Winston or Hill, and with their horrible cap situation, I think he just felt this was the right time to step away. Gayle Benson and Mickey Loomis were aware that this was a possibility.

I could be wrong (really!) but I think he really is just tired and maybe a little worn down and needs a break.

Nothing wrong with leaving before you have a bad season, going to Italy/Switzerland/France with the wife and enjoying some of the fruits of your labor while you have great career prospects in the future.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:05 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Yes but it seems strange this came out of nowhere. I would get it if there were hints to this happening but there weren't.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:25 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

I could be wrong (really!) but I think he really is just tired and maybe a little worn down and needs a break.

Nothing wrong with leaving before you have a bad season, going to Italy/Switzerland/France with the wife and enjoying some of the fruits of your labor while you have great career prospects in the future.

That's the way I feel. Take some time off. Find out if he really wants to coach again. His resume will land him the job of his choice. I think much depends on whether or not he wants to uproot his family. He's 68 does he want to start all over again elswhere?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:58 pm    Post subject:

^
He's 58, not 68. Perhaps that was a typo, but yeah.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:24 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
He's 58, not 68. Perhaps that was a typo, but yeah.

YEP, typo. I do that a lot. I'm going to have to do a better job of proofreading.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Yes but it seems strange this came out of nowhere. I would get it if there were hints to this happening but there weren't.

He has been discussing it with Lomis for a couple of years.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:08 pm    Post subject:

I think that I might parlay the Chiefs giving 7 and the 45.5 point under for the Ram-49er game.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject:

NFL Conference Championships

AFC - Cincinnati at Kansas City -7

MoneyLine +275 Cincinnati, -335 Kansas City

Over/Under = 54.5

----------------------------------------------------

NFC - San Francisco at LA Rams -3.5

MoneyLine +160 San Francisco, -180 LA Rams

Over/Under = 46

Based on these totals, I am leaning Cincinnati +7 and San Francisco +3.5. I also like the unders on both games.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:03 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I think that I might parlay the Chiefs giving 7 and the 45.5 point under for the Ram-49er game.

What's a good, safe reliable place to make bets?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:12 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

What's a good, safe reliable place to make bets?

Gamblers anonymous.

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:14 am    Post subject:

The Broncos have hired Packers' OC Nathaniel Hackett as head coach, and the Rodgers-to-Denver rumors are going to pick up in full force. I thought he was going to end up there in 2021, and the Packers were already +250 favorites to land him according to the oddsmakers. Now that the Broncos are hiring his OC, you'd have to think that those odds drop a bit more.

I genuinely think the Broncos thought they were going to get him last offseason, which explains why they passed on a QB in the draft to take Surtain, a CB.
Murdock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:25 am    Post subject:

I'm just going to leave this little tweet here for the forum's consideration.....

https://twitter.com/FTFonFS1/status/1485986379448274944

It makes one think....
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:56 am    Post subject:

Murdock wrote:
I'm just going to leave this little tweet here for the forum's consideration.....

https://twitter.com/FTFonFS1/status/1485986379448274944

It makes one think....

Think about what, that there are a bunch of stupid fu*ks on this planet?!?!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 136, 137, 138 ... 333, 334, 335  Next
Page 137 of 335
Jump to: