šŸˆNFL 2023 DISCUSSION THREADšŸˆ
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 135, 136, 137 ... 333, 334, 335  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Opening line in Vegas has Kansas City - 7.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Rumors is that Aikman is going to Amazon and will be replaced by Sean Payton.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:04 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Is Amazon going to have a good lineup of games? Because the Thursday Night football schedule usually has more duds than studs.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:26 pm    Post subject:

OK, so I'm back. Still in a state of delirium after these 4 playoff games this weekend. As for the Bills-Chiefs finish, as others have correctly pointed out, it was a total mismanagement by Buffalo. You kick the ball in the field of play there and make them take up a few seconds, and that would have taken an offensive play away and that right there is the difference. And if they do get a good return out of it, then you for sure would have had enough time come off to where it would have been down to one final play on offense, so assuming they didn't run it into FG range on the kickoff, it's basically one final play and it's over. And if they immediately take a knee and give themselves up, then they have even further to go than starting from the 25 after a touchback. So that's one obvious one, and it's already been pointed out on here.

But there is another thing that the Bills could have done, after opting for the touchback. Why let the receivers get off the line of scrimmage at all? Just play press coverage and grab them immediately. What happens? It's a 5-yard penalty, but you take a few seconds away. I hadn't even thought about that, but it was pointed out on Twitter and it's very true. Don't even let them get down the field, just take the penalty, essentially. What is KC's recourse, at that point? Say you do that twice. OK, now they have it at their own 35 but there is only time for one more play. (And if a call of pass interference actually gets called instead of holding, they still aren't going to get far enough down the field for it to make a difference if you're just grabbing onto the receiver. Maybe it's a 7-10 yard penalty, then. That's not really changing the scenario.)

It was amazing theater and truly fantastic stuff from both QB's, and definitely from Gabriel Davis, who was actually the best receiver on the Bills this season. (Trust me, I had Diggs in fantasy and he wasn't efficient despite his bevy of targets.) And you have to credit the Chiefs for actually making the plays. But they never should have had an opportunity to make those 2 plays at the end, before the tying FG try.

Oh, and I like the Chiefs by a lot in the AFC title game. A lot. The Bengals had the fortune of going up against Derek Carr and Ryan Tannehill, decent-to-solid QB's. The KC offense will be out for blood and is clicking on all cylinders now. And a loss to Cincy a few weeks ago will get their ass into gear all the more.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:50 pm    Post subject:

What a game. I feel Josh Allen is probably best QB right now in NFL based on recent play. Tough lose.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:06 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Is Amazon going to have a good lineup of games? Because the Thursday Night football schedule usually has more duds than studs.

didn't they buy DTv sunday ticket franchise?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:14 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

didn't they buy DTv sunday ticket franchise?

The contract with Directv expires after this season. Disney or Amazon are the favorites to land the contract, they both have the finances to do it.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:53 am    Post subject:

The only reason they need to change OT is because they give so much advantage to the offense.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
The only reason they need to change OT is because they give so much advantage to the offense.

I agree. I think each team should have at least 1 possession. If you win the toss and score 3 the opposing team gets a possession. I think it should be the same if the team wins the toss and scores a touchdown the opposing team should get a possession.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject:

What if one team scores a td in OT, and then the other team scores a td. What should the OT rules be after that? Keep going the same way until there is a winner? Force someone to go for 2? If you force the second team to go for 2 it ends the game right there.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
What if one team scores a td in OT, and then the other team scores a td. What should the OT rules be after that? Keep going the same way until there is a winner? Force someone to go for 2? If you force the second team to go for 2 it ends the game right there.

Those college overtime rules simply wouldn't work in the interest of player safety.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject:

Iā€™ve never had a problem with the OT rules. But I understand how an offensive showcase like last nights could sway people to think twice about them.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:

Another possession to give the other team a chance to win or tie. If team A scores a TD team B gets a possession. If team A scores a field goal, team B gets a possession. Don't start at the designated 25-yard line like college, kick it off, and keep going until it's settled. What happens? More football. Fans get to chew more Prozac.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:

Both teams should get one possession. If the first team scores a TD and goes for 2, the other team has to score a TD and go for 2. After that, whoever scores first wins.

It wouldn't extend the game like in college, but it would at least give Josh Allen a chance to play.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Play a timed Overtime period. Perhaps 10 minutes, perhaps a full 15 minutes. But just play a timed period. That would give both teams options. If still tied after the OT period, then I'd go to a college-like shootout format with each team getting a possession, or perhaps even going right to a 2-point conversion shootout format.

You might be able to sell me on a system where you guarantee each team one offensive possession and then sudden death after that, I suppose. Think of what that could set up. So let's say you had that in place last night. KC goes down and scores a TD. Presumably, you go for the PAT. Now Buffalo comes back and scores a TD of its own. Knowing it's sudden death after that, you'd almost have to go for 2 and the win if you're Buffalo, right? That would be rather exciting, there's no doubt about that. Even in lower-scoring games, it would bring about interesting decisions for the team that gets the ball second in OT. Let's say you have a game where the first team kicks a FG. Now you have the ball second, and maybe you get into FG range but it's 4th and 2 from the 30. Do you go for it there, figuring that all a FG does is tie the score and now you have to kick off and the other team would beat you with another FG? It would set up a lot of interesting decisions, and so I suppose I could get talked into the idea of just guaranteeing each team one offensive possession and then sudden death after that.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:26 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Opening line in Vegas has Kansas City - 7.

Me, still seeing that the line is 7...

https://gfycat.com/bruisedtotalindianrhinoceros-aces2p
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:31 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Iā€™ve never had a problem with the OT rules. But I understand how an offensive showcase like last nights could sway people to think twice about them.

its not only that. they have spent the last decade making it a more offensive-friendly league to up scoring. So that also tips the balance to a good offensive team who wins flip.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Play a timed Overtime period. Perhaps 10 minutes, perhaps a full 15 minutes. But just play a timed period. That would give both teams options. If still tied after the OT period, then I'd go to a college-like shootout format with each team getting a possession, or perhaps even going right to a 2-point conversion shootout format.

You might be able to sell me on a system where you guarantee each team one offensive possession and then sudden death after that, I suppose. Think of what that could set up. So let's say you had that in place last night. KC goes down and scores a TD. Presumably, you go for the PAT. Now Buffalo comes back and scores a TD of its own. Knowing it's sudden death after that, you'd almost have to go for 2 and the win if you're Buffalo, right? That would be rather exciting, there's no doubt about that. Even in lower-scoring games, it would bring about interesting decisions for the team that gets the ball second in OT. Let's say you have a game where the first team kicks a FG. Now you have the ball second, and maybe you get into FG range but it's 4th and 2 from the 30. Do you go for it there, figuring that all a FG does is tie the score and now you have to kick off and the other team would beat you with another FG? It would set up a lot of interesting decisions, and so I suppose I could get talked into the idea of just guaranteeing each team one offensive possession and then sudden death after that.

I actually really like the idea of a timed 10 minute period, and then moving to dueling 2 point conversions for playoff games that can't end in a tie. It's basically just like penalty kicks in soccer.

I suspect the player's union might be against playing an extra 10 minute period though under the guise of "player safety".
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject:

Re: the Bills kickoff w/ 13 seconds left -- McDermott got asked in the post game presser why they didn't kick it short, and he said something to the effect of "it was something we talked about but ultimately it came down to execution".. Wondering if they told Bass to try and pop it up and have it land at the 10 or so, but he just screwed up and over kicked it.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

its not only that. they have spent the last decade making it a more offensive-friendly league to up scoring. So that also tips the balance to a good offensive team who wins flip.

In the playoffs the teams that won the coin toss are 10-1.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Halflife wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

Then itā€™s not fair!
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I actually really like the idea of a timed 10 minute period, and then moving to dueling 2 point conversions for playoff games that can't end in a tie. It's basically just like penalty kicks in soccer.

I suspect the player's union might be against playing an extra 10 minute period though under the guise of "player safety".

I like the timed period idea. Players' Union can't complain since they should be the ones fighting for the change. The players want the ability to have the game fairly decided on the field, not via arbitrary coin flip.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I like the timed period idea. Players' Union can't complain since they should be the ones fighting for the change. The players want the ability to have the game fairly decided on the field, not via arbitrary coin flip.

Yeah, and honestly, a 10-minute period isn't much different to guaranteeing both teams an offensive possession. The average drive is probably 5 minutes long or so. After 2 drives, there wouldn't be much time left, most likely, if any at all. That's what I mean by giving both teams options. (And I should note that while a 10-minute offensive drive is theoretically possible, it's remarkably unlikely if you give a team 3 timeouts for all of OT, let's say.) So let's say you're the second team with the ball and the other team has already put a score up. Perhaps you're in FG range to tie but it's 4th and 1, and it's under the 2-minute warning. Go for the FG to tie? Go for it on 4th down, figuring it's your best shot to win the game? I just think a timed OT period is fair all the way around. But hell, even the college rules are more fair, because at least it gives both teams an equal chance.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:17 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Halflife wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

Then itā€™s not fair!

That is a wild stat.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:24 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Halflife wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

Then itā€™s not fair!

That is a wild stat.

It's weird, because overall (so regular + postseason) teams that win the OT coin toss are 86-67-10, meaning they only win about 53% of the time. That's not bad at all, and is a decent argument for keeping the current rules.

I still think there's ways to improve it so that there isn't a scenario where one team doesn't have the chance to possess the ball though. But hey, at least it's not sudden death anymore.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 135, 136, 137 ... 333, 334, 335  Next
Page 136 of 335
Jump to: