🏈NFL 2023 DISCUSSION THREAD🏈
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 91, 92, 93 ... 333, 334, 335  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
New England is maybe 2-3 plays from being 7-2 or 8-1, and that's with a rookie quarterback. They're currently sitting at 5-4 and I believe they can still win their division. Impressive job by Belichick so far.

I forgot the QB Bill had from SC but IIRC they were 11-5 but missed playoffs.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
New England is maybe 2-3 plays from being 7-2 or 8-1, and that's with a rookie quarterback. They're currently sitting at 5-4 and I believe they can still win their division. Impressive job by Belichick so far.

I forgot the QB Bill had from SC but IIRC they were 11-5 but missed playoffs.

Ah yes chatsworth high school standout Matt Cassel.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject:

There probably isn't a ton between the top 5 NFC teams, really, although I do like some of them more than the others. (Those teams are the 4 division leaders plus the Rams.) I put the Saints a tier below those because they don't have a QB on their roster that's good enough to win them a Super Bowl (Phillip Rivers, anyone?), but I do think they are good enough to make the playoffs. So it will be interesting to see which team gets the last Wild Card spot. 9-8 probably gets it, and I wouldn't even be shocked if an 8-9 team gets in. You can't rule out Seattle with Wilson back, although they get the Packers and Cardinals coming up and already have 5 losses. The 49ers look terrible on defense and have a bad head coach. Minnesota can play with anyone but usually their games are close and they find ways to lose them. The Bears are yet another team with a bad head coach and they are breaking in a very green rookie QB. Darnold has gone completely into the tank, leaving the Panthers without a QB solution and their entire offense has been torpedoed. Honestly, they might as well put PJ Walker in, because it can't get any worse; the Panthers haven't thrown a TD pass in a month! I guess you can't rule out the Falcons, though they aren't particularly great on either side of the ball. Lastly, I guess you can't rule out an NFC East team getting to 8 wins and winning an 8-9 tiebreaker. Someone has to get that last NFC spot!

Last edited by ChickenStu on Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:

Belichick and Brady are showing their individual greatness.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Atlanta should trade Matt Ryan this offseason. Dude deserves to go out playing on a contender.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/11/08/eli-mannings-double-bird-triggered-three-fcc-complaints/

Quote:
Eli Manning’s double bird triggered three FCC complaints

Peyton and Eli Manning are off this week. But the Manningcast is still making news.

Via TMZ, Eli Manning’s double-barreled middle finger from earlier in the season, which he used to display the messages he’d get from Eagles fans, resulted in a trio of FCC complaints. One of the complainants asked that Eli be banned from TV.

Of course, the FCC has no jurisdiction over cable broadcasts. The FCC regulates old-school over-the-air programming only.

In contrast, the halftime of Super Bowl LIV, which fell within the FCC’s purview, prompted more than 1,300 complaints over the attire and gyrations of Shakira and Jennifer Lopez.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject:

Why they heck would you even call that penalty against Marsh? NFL needs to dump this taunting penalty ASAP, I've seen horrible calls all season.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject:

An absolutely shameful job by that Tony Corrente-led officiating crew tonight. They just totally screwed the Bears tonight. Yes, the Bears had a lot of undisciplined penalties that you have to call, like lining up in the neutral zone multiple times. Still, they made a horrible call that was a legal block on what should have been a Bears TD in the first half, costing them 4 points. Two plays later, Fields clearly gets hit very late, the Pittsburgh defender runs two steps after the pass has been thrown and knocks him down, and there's no call. Contrast that with a roughing call that they gave Big Ben earlier in the first half.

Then in the 4th quarter, that taunting call was obviously a joke. I mean, these guys are playing football, not chess, and he did not get right up in a player's face and talk crap. You have to play football with emotion, so to expect guys to be robots is just so damn stupid. So they cost the Bears 4 points in the first half and then gave the Steelers what amounted to 3 free points late in the 4th quarter. The Bears lost by 2. They totally swung the football game tonight and it's just not acceptable.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:49 am    Post subject:

^
It looked like Tony Corrente actively tried to influence the outcome, in that he was fishing for penalties. It looked like Corrente threw a hip-check into Cassius Marsh in order to create the appearance of player contact, threw the flag, then realized that he could only negate the TD by claiming the flag was for Marsh taunting the opposing players' bench.

Given the NFL's embracement of gambling, this is a very bad look.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:

Why they heck would you even call that penalty against Marsh? NFL needs to dump this taunting penalty ASAP, I've seen horrible calls all season.

they will dump it the minute jj watt does it.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject:

Bears deserved to win that game. Justin Fields showed a lot.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Odell Beckham officially clears waivers. I'm guessing he signs with someone very soon, so he can be at the facility in time for practices this week.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject:

^
Or maybe not!

IG: JosinaAnderson
@JosinaAnderson
¡
3m
My understanding is that free agent WR Odell Beckham Jr. will take some time and assess the best situation for him with several options still on the table, per league source.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Beckham might be waiting for a suitor or two to restructure a contract. He took a $3 million hit, he might want to recoup that. Most of the playoff-bound teams are a bit thin in terms of cap room.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Beckham might be waiting for a suitor or two to restructure a contract. He took a $3 million hit, he might want to recoup that. Most of the playoff-bound teams are a bit thin in terms of cap room.

He's said to want a serious playoff contender with a good QB situation. That might rule out the Saints. Seems like the Chiefs and Packers could be the best on-paper fits, then. The Raiders would seem like a longshot after getting D-Jax (perhaps they got wind that Beckham wasn't considering them).
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:

The celebration penalties need to go too. I always thought they were stupid.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject:

It gets even worse. Apparently, the Steelers were offside on the final FG attempt by the Bears, perhaps multiple players. Also, upon seeing more replays of the taunting call, it truly looks like Corrente intentionally leans his hip into Marsh to make contact with him, and then immediately throws the flag. They said on the air that Corrente "appeared to already be reaching for his flag", but, ehh, I don't know.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject:

For the first time in his eight-year NFL career, Odell Beckham is a free agent. he said he wants to go to a contender. Seattle would be a great place. Where do you think he'll sign?

Odell Beckham clears waivers, becomes free agent

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
It gets even worse. Apparently, the Steelers were offside on the final FG attempt by the Bears, perhaps multiple players. Also, upon seeing more replays of the taunting call, it truly looks like Corrente intentionally leans his hip into Marsh to make contact with him, and then immediately throws the flag. They said on the air that Corrente "appeared to already be reaching for his flag", but, ehh, I don't know.

That game was absurd and in my opinion the NFL has better officiated games than the other 3 major sports. But that was terrible towards Chicago in that game and I had no rooting interest or bet on the game. It was very very bad officiating.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

The hip-check didn't look unintentional. It had the appearance that he was baiting Marsh to push him away, resulting in Marsh getting tossed. Corrente at the very least was fishing for a penalty and decided to go with the faux taunting as it nullified a TD.

The problem is that it is a very bad look for the NFL. Perhaps Corrente has an anger management problem that coincided with too many questionable, one-sided calls. Or perhaps Corrente now has a wallet flush with bitcoin which is all but impossible to trace to him directly.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

The hip-check didn't look unintentional. It had the appearance that he was baiting Marsh to push him away, resulting in Marsh getting tossed. Corrente at the very least was fishing for a penalty and decided to go with the faux taunting as it nullified a TD.

The problem is that it is a very bad look for the NFL. Perhaps Corrente has an anger management problem that coincided with too many questionable, one-sided calls. Or perhaps Corrente now has a wallet flush with bitcoin which is all but impossible to trace to him directly.

IMO the bump was intentional. He was reaching for the flag before the bump. Watch around 3:20 in the video. Around 5:04 Marsh responds. LINK

Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Bears deserved to win that game. Justin Fields showed a lot.

The fumble on the return was very questionable- McCloud looked like he had the ball pinned to his body until he went down. bears look like they were gifted a TD there.

The officiating as a whole sucked in that game
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject:

^
It was a fumble for sure, the ball starts to move before his arm hits down. He was losing control of it before he was down.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
It was a fumble for sure, the ball starts to move before his arm hits down. He was losing control of it before he was down.

Idk, even if the ball appears to be moving it was still pinned between his arm and his body. It didn’t come out until he hit the turf - to me it was a questionable call. That being said, as a Steelers fan that sort of felt like a loss. Steelers we’re very fortunate to escape with a win.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

Idk, even if the ball appears to be moving it was still pinned between his arm and his body. It didn’t come out until he hit the turf - to me it was a questionable call. That being said, as a Steelers fan that sort of felt like a loss. Steelers we’re very fortunate to escape with a win.

If I had to make the call I'd say the ball was moving and the ground caused the fumble. If I have it right, the ground can't cause a fumble but if the ball's moving the runner didn't have control making it a live ball. I'd call a fumble. LINK

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 91, 92, 93 ... 333, 334, 335  Next
Page 92 of 335
Jump to: