Cobra Kai
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject: Cobra Kai

Anyone else watch this show on Netflix? Apparently, it was on YouTube premium in 2018, but i never had that service. I binge watched the two seasons, and they were pretty entertaining
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Cobra Kai

BadGuy wrote:
Anyone else watch this show on Netflix? Apparently, it was on YouTube premium in 2018, but i never had that service. I binge watched the two seasons, and they were pretty entertaining

I watched the first 5 episodes or so and I thought it was alright. I didn't go back to it because YouTube starting charging for access to the episodes. I'll check it out now that it's on Netflix.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Cobra Kai

Heartburn wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

I watched the first 5 episodes or so and I thought it was alright. I didn't go back to it because YouTube starting charging for access to the episodes. I'll check it out now that it's on Netflix.

We live in Reseda and Netflix comes from The Hills. We're from two different worlds. We try to go to their country clubs thru the kitchen and we get splatted by a waiter with spaghetti.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject:

I watched Season 1 this week mostly as background noise. It’s a charming show! It’s sort of a relic of another time (like Johnny Lawrence himself). Doesn’t feel like a modern sitcom at all.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject:

I watched it the minute it showed up on Youtube Red (which is now Youtube Premium). Any child of the 80s, and by that I mean most likely born in the 70s is doing themselves a disservice not watching it. There's an old thread here on this show.

I completely agree with Ocho. It's realy charming and really manages to capture the "feel" of the 80s. There's an innocence that captures the spirit of that era. Stranger Things also gave me that same vibe.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject:

aside from some painfully long lapses in quality dialogue this is actually a really fun show. i love how they've developed the lawrence character...he's very easy to root for.

The actor who plays Kreese is 74 but Macchio seems to have aged much, much more than he has.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject:

has there been any confirmation that Elizabeth Shue will be in Season 3? I have seen hints, but nothing official. It will be a huge letdown if the Ali Mills character is not integrated into the series.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:18 am    Post subject:

They need to CG Miyagi.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
They need to CG Miyagi.

curious how anyone would feel about getting someone to play Mr. Miyagi since Pat Morita has passed? It would probably be too last since the passing of Mr. Miyagi has already been discussed on the show.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
has there been any confirmation that Elizabeth Shue will be in Season 3? I have seen hints, but nothing official. It will be a huge letdown if the Ali Mills character is not integrated into the series.

Ali's cblocker friend (sassy brunette one) grew up to be Sarah Sanders: "Sheee shouldn't HAVE TO, should she?..." She was the most detestable teenage girl character since Nellie from Little House.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
I watched Season 1 this week mostly as background noise. It’s a charming show! It’s sort of a relic of another time (like Johnny Lawrence himself). Doesn’t feel like a modern sitcom at all.

If Zabka can nab a dramatic role in a big movie, he will officially have pulled a Brolin. Or, to a lesser extent, he could pull off a Jackie Earle Haley. He needs to be hired to work for a director with the clout to use any "hasbeened" name and make them instantly buyable on the director's own merits (SS, Kubrick-in the past, QT, Coens...) Modine as Joker, e.g. his best role, fresh from teen movies. His character in VisionQuest in 85 was similar ways to Joker in 87.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject:

I like what they did with Billy Zabkas character. They’re doing a pretty good job at fleshing out his humanity. I kind of like him more tan LaRusso now. Plus Zabka’s a pretty good actor. Too bad he got mostly type cast as bland 80s bully (Karate Kid and Back to School).
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject:

I think my favorite thing about this show is that every teenager in the valley knows karate, and all of their disagreements are solved by karate fights in public places. As if that’s a thing.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
ocho wrote:

If Zabka can nab a dramatic role in a big movie, he will officially have pulled a Brolin. Or, to a lesser extent, he could pull off a Jackie Earle Haley. He needs to be hired to work for a director with the clout to use any "hasbeened" name and make them instantly buyable on the director's own merits (SS, Kubrick-in the past, QT, Coens...) Modine as Joker, e.g. his best role, fresh from teen movies. His character in VisionQuest in 85 was similar ways to Joker in 87.

Maybe a director out there with a soft spot for Karate Kid gives Zabka a shot the way Tarantino did with John Travolta.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
I like what they did with Billy Zabkas character. They’re doing a pretty good job at fleshing out his humanity. I kind of like him more tan LaRusso now. Plus Zabka’s a pretty good actor. Too bad he got mostly type cast as bland 80s bully (Karate Kid and Back to School).

It was very elegantly done. Nothing innovative but they executed it perfectly.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

It was very elegantly done. Nothing innovative but they executed it perfectly.

Yeah, it's one of those rare occasions where the reboot doesn't try to retcon the original, instead it actually adds to the story.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:52 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
I think my favorite thing about this show is that every teenager in the valley knows karate, and all of their disagreements are solved by karate fights in public places. As if that’s a thing.

trust me...if you are 6 years old growing up in Appalachia, you do assume that everyone in this paradise known as Reseda knows karate, spends every evening on the beach at a bonfire with hot chicks and riding rad dirt bikes...
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:55 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:

there was a time when you like LaRusso's character more? I think I always liked Zabka's character more....maybe not when i was 6 years old seeing it for the first time, but soon after I came to the conclusion if that was reality, Johnny Lawrence would have left the All Valley Tournament with Ali and the trophy.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Tootie cameo in one ep. Lookin youngish. No cracking. Kove at 74. Not shabby for common American male death age. His special ops work since 1984 didn't get him killed.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

there was a time when you like LaRusso's character more? I think I always liked Zabka's character more....maybe not when i was 6 years old seeing it for the first time, but soon after I came to the conclusion if that was reality, Johnny Lawrence would have left the All Valley Tournament with Ali and the trophy.

If anything, Cobra Kai does much better than Karate Kid at fleshing out Johnny’s character. I particularly liked the ep where it flashbacks to kid Johnny rocking out to some Boston after going through some (bleep) at home, and then stumbles upon Kreese’s dojo.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Just finished all the Cobra Kais. And KK1 is on telly rite now too. I love how it's made the 84 (and only) truly original version the one that gets played now instead of the 2010 BS one.

I chuckled when the bodybag guy got zipped up in a bodybag in Cobra Kai. Harr harr. He really does look like he has cancer, hope that was just makeup.
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Just finished all the Cobra Kais. And KK1 is on telly rite now too. I love how it's made the 84 (and only) truly original version the one that gets played now instead of the 2010 BS one.

I chuckled when the bodybag guy got zipped up in a bodybag in Cobra Kai. Harr harr. He really does look like he has cancer, hope that was just makeup.

Rob Garrison (Tommy) passed away in September of last year due to kidney and liver complications.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/rob-garrison-dies-dead-karate-kid-1203352113/
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:25 am    Post subject:

Season 3 trailer. Chozen and Kumiko are back.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject:

The show is amazing. It leans into the ridiculousness of the universe and just has fun with it with random karate brawls between kids (and some with adults!) going on everywhere in Reseda and even pokes fun at itself with the one mature adult of the entire series, Daniel’s wife, pointing out how childish and ridiculous her husband and Johnny act about what was essentially a childhood karate rivalry decades ago.

And yet, despite not taking itself seriously and having some cheesy dialogue and some occasionally iffy actors, still brings emotion and humanity to its characters and shows that there aren’t really good guys and bad guys, just a mess of flawed human beings trying to do best for themselves and their families while battling their own weaknesses and biases. Except for one particular character who is a piece of crap, but maybe even he will be humanized in season three.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject:

Excited for season 3!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: