What are your most Controversial opinions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
Fly, pelican.

Elvira!

hEY!!! WHO PUT THEES THING TO GETHER?! ME!, DASS WHO! WHO DO I TRUST?! ME!.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject:

as a minority I think cultural appropriation outrage is one of the dumbest things ever
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
Fly, pelican.

Elvira!

Elvira/Cassandra Peterson, is a natural redhead. She did a nude photo shoot, I think for Playboy.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
as a minority I think cultural appropriation outrage is one of the dumbest things ever

Cultural appropriation is such a broad topic. And I'm not in the business of telling other minority groups what they should and should not be offended about.

That philosophy really branches out way farther than just cultural appropriation. If you offend someone or make them feel uncomfortable. You can't argue, "no I didn't". You just have to take them at their word despite what your intentions were.

Of course there are people who will lie and stir drama for whatever reason. But that doesn't negate the many, many, many more people who legitimately are hurt.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

True.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

True.

What about Elvis and his producers appropriating black music, by renaming generations of musical influence without crediting original artists. Leading listeners to believe that Elvis created his sound all on his own.

Is it dumb that people were outraged by that?
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject:

We, as non-whites, are the global majority.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
C M B wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

True.

What about Elvis and his producers appropriating black music, by renaming generations of musical influence without crediting original artists. Leading listeners to believe that Elvis created his sound all on his own.

It’s a double edged sword. Elvis, and British musicians like Clapton, paved the way for a white audience to “discover” the roots of their music.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
C M B wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

True.

It’s a double edged sword. Elvis, and British musicians like Clapton, paved the way for a white audience to “discover” the roots of their music.

So by appropriating the music they did AA musicians a favor in a way? Even though AA musicians had no say or choice in the matter, and that was not Elvis and Clapton's intention?

Couldn't someone say the same thing about slavery and AA music? "I mean sure slavery was bad, but it did help provide the environment that created the music."
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:57 pm    Post subject:

Elvis certainly did comp a lot of his sound, image and moves from black artists. But as far as I know he always owned it and never attempted to downplay his influences or where his music was coming from. You could argue that he went too far, but I'm not welled versed enough in Elvis lore to comment on that point. In general when it comes to cultural appropriation, as it's defined in contemporary discourse, I don't take issue with someone wearing their influences on their sleeve, provided that they own it by honoring them.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
C M B wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

True.

Eventually someone will have to defend this:

C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 11:10 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
C M B wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

True.

You have a point, but then there is an endless list of grievances to nitpick like this throughout the history of humans, and it looks sillier across larger periods of time.

Who gets to take credit for shoes?

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:08 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
C M B wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

True.

So by appropriating the music they did AA musicians a favor in a way? Even though AA musicians had no say or choice in the matter, and that was not Elvis and Clapton's intention?

Couldn't someone say the same thing about slavery and AA music? "I mean sure slavery was bad, but it did help provide the environment that created the music."

Really, you’re going to equate musicians emulating their idols with slavery? So white people can’t play jazz? Brown people can’t play bluegrass?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:05 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
C M B wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

True.

Really, you’re going to equate musicians emulating their idols with slavery? So white people can’t play jazz? Brown people can’t play bluegrass?

It's just strange to give credit to actors who were trying to do the opposite of what you are crediting.
I think sums it up well.
Quote:
Elvis and other rock and roll musicians were undoubtedly influenced by black innovators, but over time the genre came to be regarded as a cultural product created, perfected by, and only accessible to whites.

NPR

Last edited by kikanga on Tue May 11, 2021 1:26 am; edited 2 times in total
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:18 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
FernieBee wrote:
Fly, pelican.

Elvira!

Elvira/Cassandra Peterson, is a natural redhead. She did a nude photo shoot, I think for Playboy.

I don't remember it, but she was somethin else in the 80s and even 90s. Hell, she looks great for her age now. She's an icon of the Bettie Page tier, imo. Not at Marilyn's heights, but few were if any.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:16 am    Post subject:

In N Out fries aren't good. They're dry and pretty flavorless.

I'm not sure if that's even a controversial opinion, but let's go w/ the assumption that it is. What say you sophisticated arbiters of fast food quality?
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject:

Pork chops are tasty AND not as bad for one's health as (beef) steaks.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

I'm not sure if that's even a controversial opinion, but let's go w/ the assumption that it is. What say you sophisticated arbiters of fast food quality?

Order them light-well and they come out much better. Not the best, but better.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject:

discipline your toddlers. it will pay dividends when they are 10-11yrs old
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

I wouldn’t say In N Out burgers are much better. Tried them twice and both times was disappointed.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

What are the best? I will go there. Say in OC.

I used to think they were perfect, and about four years ago, I realized i still liked the texture, but the taste was nothing. I don't go that frequently maybe 3 times a year, but a couple of times more I ordered it, thinking it was just that location, or a bad day, but nope, they are actually flavorless.

But seriously, where are the best?
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Is this controversial?
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Is this controversial?

I have a toddler, I discpline him but I never lay a hand on him. My mother spanked (not maliciously) but to discipline when we were kids, duster to butt was the most. I can't get myself to do it
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Why they suck
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

The best inexpensive restaurant tier fries I've had were from Island's (burgers/etc/sitdown restaurant w/ corny island theme). I don't even wanna admit that cus you feel lame even walking in there, but man they actually do burgers AND fries to an intoxicating level. Used to eat lunch there w/ a husky colleague and shared the bowl of fries (too many even for two dudez) and the burgers are large as well. It was like a semi-orgasmic food experience every time. It was like consuming MORE than a Thxgiving dinner and you were instantly tired as hell and didn't wanna go back to work, but it was a near weekly indulgence for awhile. I would also go eat large steaks for lunch and I wasn't even as full as I was after an Islands go.

I'll be the first to admit that I was surprised at hell that they of all restaurants knew how to make decent hamburgers and fries both. They used freshly chopped ingredients and the fries were crispy outer and soft inner, perfectly cooked, every single one. The burger patties were unctuous and they had an umami quality that I didn't get at another place that sold expensive Kobe beef burgers. And they were thin patties to boot, you would think that a thin patty couldn't produce unctuous umami. Just unexpected quality, wish I was there now. Haven't been there since probably 2009, so maybe they've gotten worse by now, dunno.

I have since found umami burgers at another joint that were basically patty and bun, cooked onions, and probably soy and other umami sauces that were flavor bombs better than Islands, but they weren't the classic lettuce, onion, pickle, tomato type burgers so I classify them differently.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 33 of 80
Jump to: