What are your most Controversial opinions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 11:11 pm    Post subject:

I'm a Millennial, but I think technology is making my generation and Gen Z antisocial. I've noticed over the least 5-10 years people in my age group don't want to go out and have a social life anymore.

Instead, they want to stay home, watch something on Netflix by themselves, play video games and live stream it on Twitch, or do an IG live.

I think social media is great for certain things, but it's also making us more antisocial, anxious and narcissistic. Just look at how people who are starting to get outdoors for the first time since the pandemic started are momentarily "forgetting" how to socialize with other people.

Talking to your friends on Zoom, FaceTime or some other geek app is not having a social life.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 11:13 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
Alcohol is gross and from a taste standpoint there is no real reason to drink it. It's fine for cooking though.

I reported this comment. I hope the mods throw the book at you.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
nickuku wrote:
Alcohol is gross and from a taste standpoint there is no real reason to drink it. It's fine for cooking though.

I get not liking the taste of alcohol and 100% respect anyone who abstains for any reason.

That said, booze undeniably has umami. There's thousands of years of human ingenuity behind making a drug that tastes good.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
kikanga wrote:

That they're scared of black players at the AAU level.

I think those damn Europeans took their jobs!

Again, the WNBA is a counterexample. Great Euro talents, even greater Caucasian American born ballers.

So is the discrepancy football or passive racism?

Or is there it a rare statistical blip?

Baseball.

So basically more varied opportunities to make professional money for a young white American dude. That makes sense.

And maybe Chet Holmgren is the next great white basketball hope (for Celtics fans).
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
nickuku wrote:

I get not liking the taste of alcohol and 100% respect anyone who abstains for any reason.

That said, booze undeniably has umami. There's thousands of years of human ingenuity behind making a drug that tastes good.

Alcohol does not possess the amino acid responsible for umami, therefore you’d have to add something else to it to get that. So no, it does not undeniably have umami. It does, as a solvent, release umami in other substances, like tomato juice.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Alcohol does not possess the amino acid responsible for umami, therefore you’d have to add something else to it to get that. So no, it does not undeniably have umami. It does, as a solvent, release umami in other substances, like tomato juice.

Go to hell
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject:

I think the Europeanization of the NBA has been a net negative because the NBA went to far with it. I blame the flopping reaching European football levels on too much European influence in the NBA.

Nowadays, every NBA team plays like the international teams Kobe whomped in the '08 Olympics. Less physical, less variety in how teams score, individual defense de-prioritized. And it's culminating with a big man offering zero rim protection winning MVP. Jokic is probably the worst defender to ever win MVP. It's either him or Nash.

Not to mention how European fans complain about Inside the NBA. Because it's an entertainment first show, and they don't talk about ball the same way serious European football commentators recap games.

NBA went too far. Look at this crap: https://streamable.com/xc5wms . This ain't good basketball. Can't favor offense over defense THIS much. Feel like I am watching some sort of bastardization of basketball. Makes me sick.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
I think the Europeanization of the NBA has been a net negative because the NBA went to far with it. I blame the flopping reaching European football levels on too much European influence in the NBA.

Nowadays, every NBA team plays like the international teams Kobe whomped in the '08 Olympics. Less physical, less variety in how teams score, individual defense de-prioritized. And it's culminating with a big man offering zero rim protection winning MVP. Jokic is probably the worst defender to ever win MVP. It's either him or Nash.

Not to mention how European fans complain about Inside the NBA. Because it's an entertainment first show, and they don't talk about ball the same way serious European football commentators recap games.

NBA went too far. Look at this crap: https://streamable.com/xc5wms . This ain't good basketball. Can't favor offense over defense THIS much. Feel like I am watching some sort of bastardization of basketball. Makes me sick.

I'm wit cha kik. Jordan, Magic, Bird, and like would score in the 40's, maybe more, nightly the way the game is officiated today. Barkley, Oakley, and like would foul out of damn near every game today. Today's game is aesthetically orientated. I like to see players take it to the hole.

Having said that, I love Steph Curry. Dude can hit from the parking lot. It's more a surprise when he misses than it is when he makes one of long range attempts.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

I'm wit cha kik. Jordan, Magic, Bird, and like would score in the 40's, maybe more, nightly the way the game is officiated today. Barkley, Oakley, and like would foul out of damn near every game today. Today's game is aesthetically orientated. I like to see players take it to the hole.

Having said that, I love Steph Curry. Dude can hit from the parking lot. It's more a surprise when he misses than it is when he makes one of long range attempts.

I used to make the same complaints about Curry. I was not happy that he became the 1st unanimous MVP despite being an average at best defender. But NOW?! (bleep), his defense is miles better than Jokic and he flops less than alot of players. Everything is relative, I've grown to appreciate him. I just hope the league doesn't keep going the same direction as it is now. Needs a correction.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Peeling a long, al dente booger out of the attic of your nose is one of the 4 great daily pleasures.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Peeling a long, al dente booger out of the attic of your nose is one of the 4 great daily pleasures.

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

It's more pleasurable from somebody else's.

I'm just saying.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject:

@BVH Watching the Nets vs Celtics. I'm gonna give Joe Harris some props. He's shooting 3s like Steph Curry.

There's a lot more to the Nets than the big 3.

slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

The thing is that in the 90s and early 2000s the NBA game was too physical and ugly. Most teams didn't really play offense - no fast breaks or early offense and no ball or player movement.

The league had to change the rules and officiating to inject offense back into the game. It's real good now.

Teams still play defense, and coaches will always emphasize defense. Are some fundamentals on D and in terms of rebounding lacking? Sure. But no matter what era you're talking about, most teams simply don't have the right intangibles to become a great defensive team.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
kikanga wrote:

The thing is that in the 90s and early 2000s the NBA game was too physical and ugly. Most teams didn't really play offense - no fast breaks or early offense and no ball or player movement.

The league had to change the rules and officiating to inject offense back into the game. It's real good now.

Teams still play defense, and coaches will always emphasize defense. Are some fundamentals on D and in terms of rebounding lacking? Sure. But no matter what era you're talking about, most teams simply don't have the right intangibles to become a great defensive team.

I don't disagree with anything you just said.

But I still do feel like the NBA went too far. The ratio of offense to defense. Acting vs. playing through contact. It's out of whack.

I think our defense, physicality, and athleticism helped us stand apart from international players and teams in the Olympics. Now I think that identity is getting lost because the league chose to purposely devalue those things to too far of a degree.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
slavavov wrote:
kikanga wrote:

But I still do feel like the NBA went too far. The ratio of offense to defense. Acting vs. playing through contact. It's out of whack.

I think our defense, physicality, and athleticism helped us stand apart from international players and teams in the Olympics. Now I think that identity is getting lost because the league chose to purposely devalue those things to too far of a degree.

Eh, there was a lot of acting in the old days too. Guys tend to like their era. I actually enjoy the game now because it moves and it is flowing and the guys are so skilled. It’s a beautiful game devoid of the grind and hold of the period ahead of them. The players today are more athletic and skilled than at any time in the history of the league. The league just doesn’t reward slow it down and pound the ball, which is good.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject:

All this talk about acting is the reason I cannot stand watching Harden play. He is a supreme flopper on offense, plays zero defense and depends on the whistle for about a 1/3 of his points.

When he plays international ball or NBA playoff ball, that stuff doesn't fly and I think he gets exposed.

I find him completely unenjoyable to watch and IMO he's what's wrong with the league right now.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject:

I have a big pet peeve about US league champions (like MLB, NBA, NFL) calling themselves world champions if they win their respective leagues.

You didn't beat the world. You just won your league.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
I have a big pet peeve about US league champions (like MLB, NBA, NFL) calling themselves world champions if they win their respective leagues.

Fair, although the best in the world do play in those leagues.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
slavavov wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I have to agree. They "protect" the shooter way to much. My pet peeves.

1) No verticality on the perimeter. Instead it's automatic freethrows.
2) Initiating contact is never called an offensive foul. It's only a charge if the defender can provide last months utility bill proving he has been there the whole time.
3) The three step "gather" before making a move.
4) Shooters entitled to 3 feet of clear space in all directions from where they jump.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

How do you know it’s al dente? Actually nevermind, don’t answer.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:

I have to agree. They "protect" the shooter way to much. My pet peeves.

1) No verticality on the perimeter. Instead it's automatic freethrows.
2) Initiating contact is never called an offensive foul. It's only a charge if the defender can provide last months utility bill proving he has been there the whole time.
3) The three step "gather" before making a move.
4) Shooters entitled to 3 feet of clear space in all directions from where they jump.

Thanks for this. I haven't laughed this hard in a long time. So true.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Heartburn wrote:

Fair, although the best in the world do play in those leagues.

In an ironic extension of that, the world's best at the world's most popular sport do not play in the US's MLS.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
C M B wrote:

How do you know it’s al dente? Actually nevermind, don’t answer.

Non-al dente: it still contains too much moisture and so it's too slimy to be able to hook it or apply traction with your fingernail

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

I have had a reoccurring dream where I am pulling a booger out of nose that is at least a foot long and feels comparable to getting massaged on a tight quad with a theragun.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 37 of 80
Jump to: