What are your most Controversial opinions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:18 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
I don't find Jennifer Hudson's voice appealing at all. She's famous, rich, technically good as a singer, and more technically sound than Blige, but the voice itself is unattractive to me. I don't have that qualm w/ Whitney, Aretha, Turner, etc, etc. I don't think anyone sounds like Aretha, but Hudson seems to be just the person available to play her in another, probably bad, movie about an icon. I don't think her voice is particularly distinctive in any way.

Yeah, she doesn’t really move me either.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:29 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
I don't find Jennifer Hudson's voice appealing at all. She's famous, rich, technically good as a singer, and more technically sound than Blige, but the voice itself is unattractive to me. I don't have that qualm w/ Whitney, Aretha, Turner, etc, etc. I don't think anyone sounds like Aretha, but Hudson seems to be just the person available to play her in another, probably bad, movie about an icon. I don't think her voice is particularly distinctive in any way.

Yeah, she doesn’t really move me either.

Patti LaBelle isn't a fave of mine, either. Clearly, she and Hudson have done / are doing something right, but those are the two notable singers (lauded for technical skill, non-Madonna types, tho she got better as she aged) that I am not fans of. LaBelle is a long-held notion of mine. I was gonna say that I enjoyed that LaBelle song "I Will Remember You" from the 92 NBA Superstars segment on Magic, but that was Patti Austin. One example of poles in singing judgment I can conjure is Jessie Simpson vs Terri Nunn of the 80s synthpop band Berlin. They both did "Take My Breath Away", but Simpson is dogsh compared to Nunn in any measurement except bra size. To me, Hudson is between those poles, tho closer to Nunn. And Nunn wasn't ever particularly lauded for her ability prolly due to genre, but I'm not sure because Benatar always was in a tough genre for a female lead and she's been prop'd since the start.

I got Whitney over Mariah, btw.

Check that at an 88/9 gm in NJ.

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:01 am    Post subject:

Jennifer Hudson is one of the greatest vocalists who have ever lived, and y'all are crazy. Crazy, I tell you! In all seriousness, I do get it that she doesn't have an amazing catalog of hits, but her voice is freaking incredible.

Whitney over Mariah all day.

I love Patti LaBelle, but I never thought she was some powerhouse singer. In fact, her favorite song of mine is probably "On My Own", and that's only because of the presence of Michael McDonald in that duet. McDonald was an absolutely incredible singer in his prime and has one of the great voices in history, as far as I'm concerned.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:58 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Jennifer Hudson is one of the greatest vocalists who have ever lived, and y'all are crazy. Crazy, I tell you! In all seriousness, I do get it that she doesn't have an amazing catalog of hits, but her voice is freaking incredible.

I love Patti LaBelle, but I never thought she was some powerhouse singer. In fact, her favorite song of mine is probably "On My Own", and that's only because of the presence of Michael McDonald in that duet. McDonald was an absolutely incredible singer in his prime and has one of the great voices in history, as far as I'm concerned.

It's technically masterful, and yet (to me) devoid of any memorable distinction.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

It's technically masterful, and yet (to me) devoid of any memorable distinction.

LaBelle is at least a little bit hit or miss to my ear. "On My Own" and "Lady Marmalade" are aight to me. Not songs I greatly admire, but not ones that make me turn the knob w/ lighting speed. I just don't like the solo songs where she croons, and I think we're talking later 80s/early 90s. Her voice is warbly to me. There's one song that perfectly highlights that, but I dunno the title, so I'm vexed. It just went on n on w/ this high and low, teeth-clenching effect.

Hudson, otoh, hasn't made one I've heard that I was particularly wowed by and a began to detest that Virgin Cruise Ships YT ad that played on every damn video where she was singing "Like A Virgin". I know she's popular and successful and maybe I'm completely wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but when I prefer Madonna's version to Hudson's, it's a no-brainer that I'm gonna think her cover of "Respect" is gonna be meh. Beyond disliking current revisionist treatments of entertainment icons, she can't hit Aretha's highs and her voice suffers in direct comparison. Some singers like Ozzy are highly distinctive and, thus, liked by many, but not always are they distinctive and technically excellent. Distinctiveness is to the ear of the beholder, but there's usually general consensus. Aretha was both and it's, cmon. They should've done that movie while she was still alive to sing the songs that were then to be lipsynced.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Don’t forget bob barker. He was a solid host as well.

Bob is/was reminiscent to Chick when I watched him. Chick, of course, a game show host himself. Debonair as younger lads, silver foxes (dye in Chick's case) as older gentry. Their charisma is/was off the charts, obviously. Their sense of humor and comedic timing were superb. Their ability to run a show from a game show to a hoops game were superb. Their basic likeability were undeniable and universal. Anyone who couldn't almost instantly bring themselves to like either -- well, that was an indictment on THEM. I have little doubt that if Bob was versed in sport, that he could've narrated them to a high standard. They were from that old generation where there were MANY multi-talented entertainers who had actual skillsets like singing AND actor/comedian (someone like Scorsese's fave Al Jolson), or multiple-sports and game show and Gilligan's Island newscaster like Chick, or what have you. Reagan, the "Great Communicator" started in sports and radio and then (bad) movies and (bad) politics, but definitely of that fold. If he was truly a great communicator, like all the others, it was likely largely a function of natural charisma. A dude like Drew Barely Carey wouldn't have had a chance in hell of hosting a show. You might say, "Peezy, what about Ed Sullivan?" Yes, Ed was awkward and often ignorant of younger acts n his show, but he's an outlier because he was so naturally odd that I think it made him interesting to watch.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
If you listen to a few Ramones songs, they sound like the very cool punk band you remember. If you listen to about fifteen ramones songs, they sound like a band that has three grooves and very little lyrical variety or creativity.

Pistols sorta did, too, imo. They were supposed to be that way, more or less, but maybe it wasn't just a conscious thing. "Blitzkreig Bop" and "I Wanna Be Sedated" and "God Save The Queen" and "Anarchy In The U.K." are the only songs of theirs that seem to have been played on radio w/ 99% consistently since then. "Rock N Roll High School" to a much lesser extent. "Pretty Vacant" to a lesser extent to that. Maybe to some degree, their variety or whatever lack thereof lead to a homogeneous sound which didn't make for abundant hits to the collective casual ear. That said, The Sex Pistols didn't last very long, but how much their sound might've changed given more time was very dependent on their fanbase and their initial place as hardcore punks. The lads also lived that lifestyle and their egos, identities, and dysfunction were part and parcel of that kind of punk.

The Clash didn't exactly veer too much from their own strongsuits, but "Rock The Casbah", "London Calling", "Tommy Gun", "Should I Stay Or Should I Go", "This Is Radio Clash", "White Riot". More notable songs in total, not that anything but Air Supply and "Open Arms"/"Keep On Loving You" were played on FM radio by MTV's advent in 81, but "Casbah", "Stay/Go", "Radio Clash" had at least a little more funk than their punkier hits. And w/ U2, you have the three levels of punk and postpunk intensity: Pistols > Clash > U2. U2 w/ a bunch of hits starting w/ "I Will Follow" to "Beautiful Day". Obviously, a lot of hits nameable off hand over the years.

I buy The Ramones take.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject:

A vocalist I loved with an outstanding range Minnie Ripperton. Died at the early age of 31, breast cancer.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:20 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

LaBelle is at least a little bit hit or miss to my ear. "On My Own" and "Lady Marmalade" are aight to me. Not songs I greatly admire, but not ones that make me turn the knob w/ lighting speed. I just don't like the solo songs where she croons, and I think we're talking later 80s/early 90s. Her voice is warbly to me. There's one song that perfectly highlights that, but I dunno the title, so I'm vexed. It just went on n on w/ this high and low, teeth-clenching effect.

Hudson, otoh, hasn't made one I've heard that I was particularly wowed by and a began to detest that Virgin Cruise Ships YT ad that played on every damn video where she was singing "Like A Virgin". I know she's popular and successful and maybe I'm completely wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but when I prefer Madonna's version to Hudson's, it's a no-brainer that I'm gonna think her cover of "Respect" is gonna be meh. Beyond disliking current revisionist treatments of entertainment icons, she can't hit Aretha's highs and her voice suffers in direct comparison. Some singers like Ozzy are highly distinctive and, thus, liked by many, but not always are they distinctive and technically excellent. Distinctiveness is to the ear of the beholder, but there's usually general consensus. Aretha was both and it's, cmon. They should've done that movie while she was still alive to sing the songs that were then to be lipsynced.

I liked LaBelle's "If You Ask Me To", but I think Celine Dion did a much better job with the same song.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject:

The best game show host is the guy who hosted Bowling for Dollars way back when. I forget his name.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:13 pm    Post subject:

I think Jennifer Hudson over-sings almost every song she sings. She's certainly talented but she grates on me when she overdoes the vocal acrobatics. Less is more.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:27 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
The best game show host is the guy who hosted Bowling for Dollars way back when. I forget his name.....

^^^
Bob Allison

Another great game show pioneer was Art Linkletter House Party.

Side Note:
Every host mentioned dressed in a shirt and tie. That's my peeve about Drew Carey, he's a tacky dresser.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:27 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:

Hmmmm . . . seem to recall he had a name like a bird, and went on to call sports somewhere fabulous . . .

(of course I am one of the few here old enough to remember watching that show)
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:30 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

^^^
[b]Bob Allison[/b]

Another great game show pioneer was Art Linkletter, House Party.

Not in Los Angeles
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

^^^
[b]Bob Allison[/b]

Another great game show pioneer was Art Linkletter, House Party.

Not in Los Angeles

So!

Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:42 pm    Post subject:

^So, LC was referencing Chick Hearn, not Bob Allison.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
^So, LC was referencing Chick Hearn, not Bob Allison.

OK, LC was being sarcastic. Another whoooosh! I'ma have ta get me a chin strap to hold my hat on my head.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Bob is/was reminiscent to Chick when I watched him. Chick, of course, a game show host himself. Debonair as younger lads, silver foxes (dye in Chick's case) as older gentry. Their charisma is/was off the charts, obviously. Their sense of humor and comedic timing were superb. Their ability to run a show from a game show to a hoops game were superb. Their basic likeability were undeniable and universal. Anyone who couldn't almost instantly bring themselves to like either -- well, that was an indictment on THEM. I have little doubt that if Bob was versed in sport, that he could've narrated them to a high standard. They were from that old generation where there were MANY multi-talented entertainers who had actual skillsets like singing AND actor/comedian (someone like Scorsese's fave Al Jolson), or multiple-sports and game show and Gilligan's Island newscaster like Chick, or what have you. Reagan, the "Great Communicator" started in sports and radio and then (bad) movies and (bad) politics, but definitely of that fold. If he was truly a great communicator, like all the others, it was likely largely a function of natural charisma. A dude like Drew Barely Carey wouldn't have had a chance in hell of hosting a show. You might say, "Peezy, what about Ed Sullivan?" Yes, Ed was awkward and often ignorant of younger acts n his show, but he's an outlier because he was so naturally odd that I think it made him interesting to watch.

A few weeks ago I saw that we have a channel called "The Price is Right: The Barker Era" and at first I would just have it on for background noise while I prepped dinner or washed dishes. After dinner one night I sat down to watch a couple of episodes in their entirety. Immediately, I noted Barker's titanic charisma. His command of the stage alone was most of what kept me watching, and I found myself remarking out loud at his pure class.

https://i.imgur.com/4CXrOAe.jpg

The man had so much god-given magnetism and polish that I now feel like TPIR was a bit beneath him, taking hugs from midwestern marms who were jazzed to help him shill commercial goods. The way old timers used to laud Sinatra or Johnny Carson...that's how I feel about Barker today. I did note the similarities to Chick wrt charisma and vocal presence. These guys were just born for these gigs, and the broadcasters with this gift throughout TV history can be counted on one hand. I wasn't cognizant of such things, but his verve is probably what made watching the show as kid in the 80s such a treat. Drew Carey as Bob's replacement is a joke. If all the VHS porn that was ever fast forwarded had its entertainment value personified, the result would be Drew Carey.

TPIR reruns also work as a fun glimpse into consumerism and fashion from that period. People were so much more attractive and well-behaved. I haven't seen episodes yet where the deterioration in these audience qualities could be marked. The products are hilarious, too. I wonder if anyone watching the show thought "Wow, I need to go out and get a Norelco toaster. They'll always make great toasters."

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

A few weeks ago I saw that we have a channel called "The Price is Right: The Barker Era" and at first I would just have it on for background noise while I prepped dinner or washed dishes. After dinner one night I sat down to watch a couple of episodes in their entirety. Immediately, I noted Barker's titanic charisma. His command of the stage alone was most of what kept me watching, and I found myself remarking out loud at his pure class.

https://i.imgur.com/4CXrOAe.jpg

The man had so much god-given magnetism and polish that I now feel like TPIR was a bit beneath him, taking hugs from midwestern marms who were jazzed to help him shill commercial goods. The way old timers used to laud Sinatra or Johnny Carson...that's how I feel about Barker today. I did note the similarities to Chick wrt charisma and vocal presence. These guys were just born for these gigs, and the broadcasters with this gift throughout TV history can be counted on one hand. I wasn't cognizant of such things, but his verve is probably what made watching the show as kid in the 80s such a treat. Drew Carey as Bob's replacement is a joke. If all the VHS porn that was ever fast forwarded had its entertainment value personified, the result would be Drew Carey.

TPIR reruns also work as a fun glimpse into consumerism and fashion from that period. People were so much more attractive and well-behaved. I haven't seen episodes yet where the deterioration in these audience qualities could be marked. The products are hilarious, too. I wonder if anyone watching the show thought "Wow, I need to go out and get a Norelco toaster. They'll always make great toasters."

I agree that it's useful knowing how much Dristan nasal spray, a Jiffy Pop expanding foil popcorn skillet, a 24 count box of Otter Pops, and a 2000 Flushes tablet would set you back in 1983. Useful info, not useless. And note, Patsy, Richard Dawson wanted to kiss the female contestants...female contestants wanted to kiss BOB... Holly, FTW, btw. I know you and Dladi agree on that tip.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
I think Jennifer Hudson over-sings almost every song she sings. She's certainly talented but she grates on me when she overdoes the vocal acrobatics. Less is more.

Sort of a poor man’s Mariah Carey.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:23 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

TPIR reruns also work as a fun glimpse into consumerism and fashion from that period. People were so much more attractive and well-behaved.

I also find old TV show clips (and even old Lakers games on YT that have the commercials in them) a fun glimpse into consumerism and fashion and other elements of the zeitgeist from that era.

Some can say people were more well-behaved back then, but the flip side is that people were more conservative (not politically, but culturally) in the 80s, and maybe that's why they seemed more well-behaved.

On the other hand there was the infamous wardrobe malfunction on TPIR in the 70s. I'd post the clip here, but I don't want to get in trouble.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Heartburn wrote:

True.

She doesn't quite match Mariah's range, not many do. Mariah's range is 5 octaves, Jennifer's is 4.

Those who don't think Jennifer can sing puzzle me. Do they think Mariah can?

Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject:

When people point to Halle Berry as a quintessential beautiful black woman, I call BS. To me she's a beautiful white woman with dark skin. I like them real sistas
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:32 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Heartburn wrote:

True.

She doesn't quite match Mariah's range, not many do. Mariah's range is 5 octaves, Jennifer's is 4.

Mariah has octaves but no feel. Give me Whitney or Aretha an day. Hell, I’d rather listen to Christina Aguilera if we are going for octaves. At least she can bring a little heat and passion.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Heartburn wrote:

True.

Mariah has octaves but no feel. Give me Whitney or Aretha an day. Hell, I’d rather listen to Christina Aguilera if we are going for octaves. At least she can bring a little heat and passion.

Great choices. Speaking on feel, a singer who left us too soon sang with feel that manifested her life, Phyllis Hyman When she was sad it came through in the song, you could feel it. When she was happy it came through in the song, you could feel it. She had a four-octave range. Cause of death accidental overdose questionable.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 63 of 80
Jump to: