NBA Season COVID-19 Thread (**No politics or racial/ethnic remarks or personal insults**)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 128, 129, 130  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 2565

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject:

a cheap $4 generic drug had good clinical trial results for early stage covid.

some believe even better results are possible when combined with merck's drug

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02988-4

A cheap, widely available drug used to treat mental illness cuts both the risk of death from COVID-19 and the need for people with the disease to receive intensive medical care, according to clinical-trial results1.

The drug, called fluvoxamine, is taken for conditions including depression and obsessive–compulsive disorder. But it is also known to dampen immune responses and temper tissue damage, and researchers credit these properties with its success in the recent trial. Among study participants who took the drug as directed and did so in the early stages of the disease, COVID-19-related deaths fell by roughly 90% and the need for intensive COVID-19-related medical care fell by roughly 65%.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Jul 2010
Posts: 1727

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject:

Hi all update on COVID treatment


Pfizer says antiviral pill cuts risk of severe COVID-19 by 89%

The pill is Paxlovid, consists of three pills given twice daily and given in combination with an older antiviral ritonavir,

0.8% of those given Pfizer's drug within three days of symptom onset were hospitalized and none died 28 days after treatment. That compared with a hospitalization rate of 7% for placebo patients. There were also seven deaths in the placebo group.

Rates were similar for patients treated within five days of symptoms - 1% of the treatment group was hospitalized, compared with 6.7% for the placebo group, which included 10 deaths.

If any recall, Merck recently gave results on its antiviral molnupiravir reduced hospitalization by 50%..in other words Pfizer's treatment seems to be much better.

Neither the Merck or Pfizer pill had any deaths in the treatment group.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/pfizer-says-antiviral-pill-cuts-104500617.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 2565

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
Hi all update on COVID treatment


Pfizer says antiviral pill cuts risk of severe COVID-19 by 89%

The pill is Paxlovid, consists of three pills given twice daily and given in combination with an older antiviral ritonavir,

0.8% of those given Pfizer's drug within three days of symptom onset were hospitalized and none died 28 days after treatment. That compared with a hospitalization rate of 7% for placebo patients. There were also seven deaths in the placebo group.

Rates were similar for patients treated within five days of symptoms - 1% of the treatment group was hospitalized, compared with 6.7% for the placebo group, which included 10 deaths.

If any recall, Merck recently gave results on its antiviral molnupiravir reduced hospitalization by 50%..in other words Pfizer's treatment seems to be much better.

Neither the Merck or Pfizer pill had any deaths in the treatment group.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/pfizer-says-antiviral-pill-cuts-104500617.html


hey lar

that is good news.

knock on wood, with the antivirals, it is sounding like the end of the nightmare...

poor merck, pfizer kicked its butt. i will give my merck friend some crap

i wonder whether these studies separated people into vaccinated and unvaccinated
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Jul 2010
Posts: 1727

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
Hi all update on COVID treatment


Pfizer says antiviral pill cuts risk of severe COVID-19 by 89%

The pill is Paxlovid, consists of three pills given twice daily and given in combination with an older antiviral ritonavir,

0.8% of those given Pfizer's drug within three days of symptom onset were hospitalized and none died 28 days after treatment. That compared with a hospitalization rate of 7% for placebo patients. There were also seven deaths in the placebo group.

Rates were similar for patients treated within five days of symptoms - 1% of the treatment group was hospitalized, compared with 6.7% for the placebo group, which included 10 deaths.

If any recall, Merck recently gave results on its antiviral molnupiravir reduced hospitalization by 50%..in other words Pfizer's treatment seems to be much better.

Neither the Merck or Pfizer pill had any deaths in the treatment group.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/pfizer-says-antiviral-pill-cuts-104500617.html


hey lar

that is good news.

knock on wood, with the antivirals, it is sounding like the end of the nightmare...

poor merck, pfizer kicked its butt. i will give my merck friend some crap

i wonder whether these studies separated people into vaccinated and unvaccinated


Ha ha yea poor Merck their stock reacted negatively on the news so far

I wonder if Pfizer got a better result because it was mixed with another older antiviral. Either case seems like the scientists at Pfizer going to getting a raise if not already.

As far as vaccinated versus not it was mentioned it was looking high risk Covid patients with an underlying condition. Does that mean it excluded vaccinated patients because they are more low risk… maybe but it wasn’t mentioned exclusively.

I am hearing however depending on supply the drug could be available to unvaccinated only once approved
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 2565

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
Hi all update on COVID treatment


Pfizer says antiviral pill cuts risk of severe COVID-19 by 89%

The pill is Paxlovid, consists of three pills given twice daily and given in combination with an older antiviral ritonavir,

0.8% of those given Pfizer's drug within three days of symptom onset were hospitalized and none died 28 days after treatment. That compared with a hospitalization rate of 7% for placebo patients. There were also seven deaths in the placebo group.

Rates were similar for patients treated within five days of symptoms - 1% of the treatment group was hospitalized, compared with 6.7% for the placebo group, which included 10 deaths.

If any recall, Merck recently gave results on its antiviral molnupiravir reduced hospitalization by 50%..in other words Pfizer's treatment seems to be much better.

Neither the Merck or Pfizer pill had any deaths in the treatment group.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/pfizer-says-antiviral-pill-cuts-104500617.html


hey lar

that is good news.

knock on wood, with the antivirals, it is sounding like the end of the nightmare...

poor merck, pfizer kicked its butt. i will give my merck friend some crap

i wonder whether these studies separated people into vaccinated and unvaccinated


Ha ha yea poor Merck their stock reacted negatively on the news so far

I wonder if Pfizer got a better result because it was mixed with another older antiviral. Either case seems like the scientists at Pfizer going to getting a raise if not already.

As far as vaccinated versus not it was mentioned it was looking high risk Covid patients with an underlying condition. Does that mean it excluded vaccinated patients because they are more low risk… maybe but it wasn’t mentioned exclusively.

I am hearing however depending on supply the drug could be available to unvaccinated only once approved


yes, moderna stock going down as well.
not sure about novavax but they have the 3rd world and covax if they are able to produce.

if people regularly take these antivirals instead of vaccine, they are nuts.
talking about experimental drugs, this is fresh off the r&d line.

i would though like to see the results cocktailed with the $4 antiviral that showed good results with early stage covid.

on a negative note, there is an in vitro study that showed significant amount of spike protein enters and accumulates in nucleus and may hurt dna repair function... and which may, among other things, explain why adaptive immunity is diminished...
makes j&j an even worse idea and the protein vaccines an even better idea as there is less spike proteins.
https://www.mdpi.com/1999-4915/13/10/2056/htm

u will find this funny, i wore our 99% respirator device into AAA for car registration today.
with the filter fan running at high making some noise, the AAA agent thought i was from outer space or something


Last edited by cal1piggy on Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 2565

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject:

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizers-novel-covid-19-oral-antiviral-treatment-candidate

About PAXLOVID™ (PF-07321332; ritonavir) and the EPIC Development Program

PAXLOVID™ is an investigational SARS-CoV-2 protease inhibitor antiviral therapy, specifically designed to be administered orally so that it can be prescribed at the first sign of infection or at first awareness of an exposure, potentially helping patients avoid severe illness which can lead to hospitalization and death. PF-07321332 is designed to block the activity of the SARS-CoV-2-3CL protease, an enzyme that the coronavirus needs to replicate. Co-administration with a low dose of ritonavir helps slow the metabolism, or breakdown, of PF-07321332 in order for it to remain active in the body for longer periods of time at higher concentrations to help combat the virus.

PF-07321332 inhibits viral replication at a stage known as proteolysis, which occurs before viral RNA replication. In preclinical studies, PF-07321332 did not demonstrate evidence of mutagenic DNA interactions.

Pfizer initiated the EPIC-HR study in July 2021 following positive Phase 1 clinical trial results and continues to evaluate the investigational antiviral in additional EPIC studies. In August 2021, Pfizer initiated the Phase 2/3 EPIC-SR (Evaluation of Protease Inhibition for COVID-19 in Standard-Risk Patients), to evaluate efficacy and safety in patients with a confirmed diagnosis of SARS-CoV-2 infection who are at standard risk (i.e., low risk of hospitalization or death). EPIC-SR includes a cohort of vaccinated patients who have an acute breakthrough symptomatic COVID-19 infection and who have risk factors for severe illness. In September, Pfizer initiated the Phase 2/3 EPIC-PEP (Evaluation of Protease Inhibition for COVID-19 in Post-Exposure Prophylaxis) to evaluate efficacy and safety in adults exposed to SARS-CoV-2 by a household member.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 1542

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject:

Source: Philadelphia 76ers' Joel Embiid tests positive for COVID-19, will miss several games

Quote:
Philadelphia 76ers center Joel Embiid returned a positive test for COVID-19 on Monday morning, a source told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

Embiid will miss Monday's game against New York Knicks, and will sit for at least 10 days, per the NBA's health and safety protocols. That would mean that Embiid would miss at least five games, and potentially be able to return sometime late next week, while Philadelphia is in the middle of a six-game road trip, primarily on the West Coast.

Embiid, who is averaging 21.4 points, 9.4 rebounds and a career-high 4.0 assists in nine games for the East-leading 76ers this season, was originally scheduled to take Monday night's game off against the Knicks for rest before entering the protocols.


https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32584227/source-philadelphia-76ers-joel-embiid-tests-positive-covid-19-expected-miss-several-games
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 2565

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject:

pfizer pill with 89% efficiacy in clincial trial
available for ~$500 per course
us buying many millions

not to be limited to unvaccinated
not sure how long the supply will last

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5ORcbqxhc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 2565

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject:

really bad news on a new covid variant that could be 5X more contagious than delta

EU has blocked flights from south africa
US FDA has not - there are several direct flights from South Africa to USA
They already found a few cases in israel, hong kong and belgium


new strain had many more mutations on delta.
apparently displacing delta variant in south africa
scientists estimate it could be as much as 5x more infectious than delta

the mutations are in bad places of spike protein so could be more resistant to vaccines and antibody-based drugs

pfizer and merck pills work through different proteins so should still work at this point

this is a bloody nightmare
lets hope it is not as deadly as previous strains


below from:
https://washingtonnewsday.com/world/covid-variant-nu-b-1-1-529-could-be-500-more-infectious-than-delta/

COVID Variant Nu B.1.1.529 Could Be 500% More Infectious Than Delta. 0
BY JONATHAN EDWARDS ON NOVEMBER 26, 2021WORLD

COVID Variant Nu B.1.1.529 Could Be 500% More Infectious Than Delta.

According to a respected epidemiologist, the new B.1.1.529 COVID-19 variation may be 500 percent more infectious than the Delta version.

The new version is expected to have 32 mutations in its spike protein and is capable of bypassing vaccinations and previous infection-induced immunity. Belgium, South Africa, Hong Kong, and Israel have all found the B.1.1.529 strain, which first appeared in southern Africa. Scientists are concerned about the spread of the variation, which has been described as “the worst we’ve seen so far.”

On Friday, Dr. Eric Feigl-Ding, an epidemiologist and senior fellow at the Federation of American Scientists (FAS), published a series of tweets suggesting the new variant’s possible competitive edge over earlier variants.

The fact that the new #B11259 variation is potentially 500 percent more competitively contagious is the most incredible statistic yet. In addition, #NuVariant has more than twice as many problematic spike mutations than Delta. Here’s an updated model from @JPWeiland that corresponds to the graph from @jburnmurdoch. twitter.com/SFvFEbD7QO — Dr. Eric Feigl-Ding (@DrEricDing), Eric Feigl-Ding, Eric Feigl-Ding, Eric Feigl 26 November 2021 In comparison to the highly transmissible Delta variation, the new version contains more than double the number of “bad spike mutations.” The World Health Organization (WHO) is likely to name the new variety Nu, after the next letter in the Greek alphabet following “Mu,” which was the name of the most recent major variant.

“My god—the latest #B11259 [B.1.1.529] variety being perhaps 500 percent more competitively infectious is the most shocking stat yet,” Feigl-Ding tweeted, accompanied by a photo of a graph purporting to depict the strains’ competitive advantages.

“The increase in #B11259 displacing Delta has sent shockwaves around the world.” It’s a disaster. Not only that, but in South Africa, the older #C12 variety appears to be progressively spreading and displacing Delta,” he added.

The expert also spoke about the furin cleavage site in the viral protein, which is an important aspect of the coronavirus’s transmissibility.

“It’s worth noting that this is the first time a variation has *two* furin cleavage site alterations.” P681H and N679K mutations in the furin cleavage site are present in this variant for the first time, according to @PeacockFlu [Imperial virologist Tom. This is a condensed version of the information.


Last edited by cal1piggy on Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 2565

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject:

more scientific info
https://www.newsweek.com/new-covid-variant-possibly-500-percent-more-infectious-delta-1653596

EU, Israel, Japan have blocked flights
US FDA still has done nothing

WHO is telling people to wait for weeks before blocking flights
WHO really needs to be defunded
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 2565

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject:

us fda just blocked travel from 7 south african countries, starting monday

so have eu, uk, japan, israel, singapore, canada, australia, brazil, dubai, saudi arabia, bahrain, jordan, turkey

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/new-covid-variant-travel/index.html
"Two flights from South Africa, one from Cape Town and one from Johannesburg, landed Friday late morning local time at Schiphol, an airport spokesman said. The passengers had to remain on board the flight while a separate, secure location in the airport was being located and are waiting to be tested, he said"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 2565

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject:

more from epidemiologist's twitter:Eric Feigl-Ding @DrEricDing
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1464000006231367686

BREAKING—HOTEL CROSS TRANSMISSION OF #B11529—Traveler from South Africa flew to Hong Kong with new variant—but wasn’t discovered until 4th day of quarantine on 2nd PCR (translation - PCR is test to detect virus. hong kong requires all visitors to quarantine). Another guest across hallway cross-infected—only positive on 8th day on 4th PCR ! Both Pfizer vaccinated

from Sakaguchi Hitoshi @nzm8qs :
3/ Both patients have been double vaxxed with BNT around May/June. and their Ct value was 18 and 19 respectively.

my personal non-expert take away points:
1) all this below is based on only 2 people - absolutely not statistical significant
2) both patients were fully vaccinated with pfizer in may/june. it is known that fda does not suggest booster until after 6 months - late november is obviously 5-6 months from may/june
3) Ct means pcr (polymerase chain reaction test) cycles needed to detect virus. their Ct value of 18-19 is lower than typical Ct values I have seen reported for delta variant (typically >20). if true, this is not good because that means more virus load.
4) given these reports, incubation period for 2 patients is at least 4 days. that is critical as the incubation period is the amount of time the body has to respond to the virus
in comparison, delta variant's incubtion period is about 4 days. so this does not appear to be shorter than delta - though data from only 2 patients. in fact could be longer, which would be good if true.
5) this is going to affect quarantine rules for hong kong and many countries. guest may have infected another guess from across hallway in quarantine hotel. not good if true. though apparently no other case reported as of yet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 2565

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject:

good grief, 61 out of 600 passengers on south africa to netherlands flights have covid. they now need to figure out which of the 61 has omicron. based on what is known in south africa, likely most of them have omicron.

dont these countries require covid testing before international flights?

this is really bad
10% of the people on the flight tested positive covid
so that is a pretty good sampling for south africa
given how contagious this variant is, it is quite possible most of the 600 passengers and crew have covid/omicron in a few days
soon there may need to stop flights from europe
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 2565

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:22 pm    Post subject:

here is another scientist (senior scientist in vaccine research) tweeting info from south africa medical official (supposedly from BBC interview)
this is preliminary good news that they have not seen moderate/severe cases from fully vaccinated people with breakthrough
apparently moderate/severe cases are so far with unvaccinated (65%) or half-vaccinated (35%)
however the numbers of patients here are small - probably 20
20 is small number but no fully vaccinated moderate/severe cases is a good sign if you are vaccinated

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

it looks like from very preliminary data:
1. much more contagious resulting in more breakthrough cases for vaccinated (unvaccinated would have to really isolate)
2. perhaps a little shorter incubation period than delta, which may lead to a bit more severe particularly for immunocompromised
3. vaccines still mostly work but not as well
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 2565

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Toddlers Make Up 10% of Hospital Cases in Omicron Epicenter

Children under the age of 2 account for about 10% of total hospital admissions in the omicron epicenter Tshwane in South Africa, according to the National Institute for Communicable Diseases.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-up-10-of-hospital-cases-in-omicron-epicenter
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Jul 2010
Posts: 1727

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Cal1 been following your information and thank you for posting.

The last part about toddlers is very distributing. Read the article and it said parents maybe admitting their children to hospitals more readily because of the new variant. But couldn’t know if the new strain effects toddlers more because of their immature immune system and because they can’t get vaccinated yet.

If the new strain is able to effect toddlers more than previous strains that is going to be very bad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 2565

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
Cal1 been following your information and thank you for posting.

The last part about toddlers is very distributing. Read the article and it said parents maybe admitting their children to hospitals more readily because of the new variant. But couldn’t know if the new strain effects toddlers more because of their immature immune system and because they can’t get vaccinated yet.

If the new strain is able to effect toddlers more than previous strains that is going to be very bad



hey lar

happy to keep people updated

all i can say is that this is scary as hell as it felt like covid had mostly run its course with vaccinations.

omicron just changed a lot of planning for our startup
like i said before, this is not money we want to make.
i cannot wait to go back to our semiconductor and automotive projects.

yes the toddler story surprised me also
and we have been watching due to our startup having developed a toddler 99% system (5x better than n95 spec)

we are still waiting on faa approval (plane flights are potential superspreader events)
we are also waiting on test results of our medical spec device (99.97%)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 2565

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject:

very preliminary data out of israel:
1. if you are vaccinated, omicron not that much worse. pfizer is at 90% instead of 95%.
2. 1.3x more likely to infect, not 5x as first feared
3. if you are unvaccinated, 2.4x more likely to have severe case, which is very significant

reported by TV 12 station - the ministry of health does not even have that data yet.

https://www.jpost.com/health-and-wellness/coronavirus/covid-1st-data-about-vaccine-efficacy-against-omicron-expected-tuesday-687392
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 2565

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject:

5x hospitalization in 2 weeks

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1465788414326976518
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 2565

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject:

first known case of omicron in usa is in san francisco
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 2565

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject:

All inbound international travelers will be required to test within one day of departure for the United States starting Monday.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/new-us-travel-rules-omicron-what-to-know/index.html

Germany on Thursday announced a nationwide lockdown for the unvaccinated, as its leaders backed plans for mandatory vaccinations in the coming months.

Unvaccinated people will be banned from accessing all but the most essential businesses, such as supermarkets and pharmacies, to curb the spread of coronavirus, outgoing Chancellor Angela Merkel and her successor, Olaf Scholz, announced Thursday, following crisis talks with regional leaders. Those who have recently recovered from Covid-19 are not covered by the ban.
The pair also backed proposals for mandatory vaccinations, which if voted through the parliament could take effect from February at the earliest.


https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/02/europe/germany-lockdown-covid-restrictions-intl/index.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 2565

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject:

there is no proof that omicron was created inside the body of an advanced HIV patient.

this medical paper talks about how researchers followed an advanced HIV patient with severely compromised immune system. because the severely weakened immune system was unable to rid itself completely of covid19 over a number of months, scientists watched over time how mutations and variants were evolving in this person. mutations were showing up over time that scientist predicted could help covid19 virus fight vaccine-induced antibodies and infection-induced antibodies.

to fight covid, it does appear that it is really important to get advanced hiv drugs to 3rd world

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.06.03.21258228v1
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Posts: 12169

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject:

i know omicron sounds scary, but there should be some good news that don't get lost in this
-Beta variant which was caused a huge spike in South Africa didn't spread around the world( probably due to the location of South Africa being far and only Air Travel which has strict restrictions), so blocking travel from SA might work better compare to other areas of the world.
-South Africa only has vaccination rate of 24% and 90% of the people being hospitalized are unvaccinated as of December 1st.

-R number not as scary as first thought.

-Spanish Flu's second year was the worst, and it ended after 3 years.

this is going to be a tough winter, so get vaccinated and wear a mask, the worst should be behind us soon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 2565

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
i know omicron sounds scary, but there should be some good news that don't get lost in this
-Beta variant which was caused a huge spike in South Africa didn't spread around the world( probably due to the location of South Africa being far and only Air Travel which has strict restrictions), so blocking travel from SA might work better compare to other areas of the world.
-South Africa only has vaccination rate of 24% and 90% of the people being hospitalized are unvaccinated as of December 1st.

-R number not as scary as first thought.

-Spanish Flu's second year was the worst, and it ended after 3 years.

this is going to be a tough winter, so get vaccinated and wear a mask, the worst should be behind us soon.



https://twitter.com/rid1tweets/status/1466828284445040645
remember in southern hemisphere, summer / winter are flipped with us
here is what is frightening about omicron.
the black omicron curve is shooting almost vertically - the 7 day rolling average number of cases in south africa
much more steep than the delta curve shown in comparison, or the other variants
if it is as deadly as delta, i think we are in trouble
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Posts: 12169

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
i know omicron sounds scary, but there should be some good news that don't get lost in this
-Beta variant which was caused a huge spike in South Africa didn't spread around the world( probably due to the location of South Africa being far and only Air Travel which has strict restrictions), so blocking travel from SA might work better compare to other areas of the world.
-South Africa only has vaccination rate of 24% and 90% of the people being hospitalized are unvaccinated as of December 1st.

-R number not as scary as first thought.

-Spanish Flu's second year was the worst, and it ended after 3 years.

this is going to be a tough winter, so get vaccinated and wear a mask, the worst should be behind us soon.



https://twitter.com/rid1tweets/status/1466828284445040645
remember in southern hemisphere, summer / winter are flipped with us
here is what is frightening about omicron.
the black omicron curve is shooting almost vertically - the 7 day rolling average number of cases in south africa
much more steep than the delta curve shown in comparison, or the other variants
if it is as deadly as delta, i think we are in trouble

Yeah, SA is rough, but in a sense, it’s better to have a variant in SA compare to India. We will see how this things play out. Just got my booster last week
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 128, 129, 130  Next
Page 129 of 130
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB