Worldwide Coronavirus Thread (US death toll passes 1 Million - that's right, 1 Million dead)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 310, 311, 312 ... 316, 317, 318  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:45 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Quote:
Fauci advises assessing personal risk amid COVID-19 uptick
"We don't want to pooh-pooh getting infected," he said.

By Gabriel Pietrorazio
April 10, 2022, 10:55 AM

Dr. Anthony Fauci, chief medical adviser to the White House, said Americans should continue assessing risk for themselves as COVID-19 cases tick up.

"It's going to be a person's decision about the individual risks they're going to take," Fauci told "This Week" co-anchor Jonathan Karl exclusively on Sunday.

"This is not going to be eradicated and it's not going to be eliminated," Fauci said. "So you're going to make a question and an answer for yourself, for me as an individual, for you as an individual. What is my age? What is my status? Do I have people at home who are vulnerable that if I bring the virus home there may be a problem?"

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/fauci-individuals-continue-assess-covid-risks/story?id=83983897

And this is why I also favor public weighing of risks. We shouldn’t allow the unvaccinated into restaurants. It for their safety, but because they are much more likely and powerful spreaders, and they should be accountable for their decisions. It’s why I keep masks in my store at the moment because unmasked people increase the chance of spread to my people, and my employees should t have to place their livelihood ahead of their risk, and my volunteers or customers should t have to stay home so some folks who don’t like masks and vaccines can be free.

I want to convince a few unvaccinated people of the more powerful spreaders part. Can you point me to sources on that part (or both)? I understand (and can explain persuasively) the more likely aspect, but the 'powerful' part would maybe help sink it in somewhat and hopefully change some minds.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
some thoughts on the lockdown in Shanghai, China. locking down a city of 25M people to zero out Covid is as ridiculous as they come. you lock down a city when Covid just broke out, not when it has already living among human for over 2 years. this is just another show for the CCP to flex their muscle with its citizens. it's almost like a dry run to how they would lock down a big metropolitan mega city like shanghai at moment's notice if they want to in the future. i have no faith in the reported numbers of positive cases by CCP, they can very well manipulate numbers to achieve their political goals.

just watch, after a few days, positive cases will magically decline, and shanghai will be reopened, and all the citizens will singing CCP praises.

Zero covid has been a failure. At this point all locking down does is demonstrate the power of their government over their people. I also think they don't want to let it go because its their government's strategy to contain covid and they don't want to admit their way was worse than the west.

No, that's not all it does. And pretending that is the case simply justifies the mindless "but mah freedumbs!" anti-mask nonsense.

First of all, the US doesn't implement China style lockdowns. So settle down with your BS. Not once did I say anything about anti-masking non-sense or whatever you are trying to bring into the discussion. It is well known anybody who is educated on covid response in China that it is a matter of government policy that they have ulterior motives.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:43 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Quote:

By Gabriel Pietrorazio

Dr. Anthony Fauci, chief medical adviser to the White House, said Americans should continue assessing risk for themselves as COVID-19 cases tick up.

"It's going to be a person's decision about the individual risks they're going to take," Fauci told "This Week" co-anchor Jonathan Karl exclusively on Sunday.

"This is not going to be eradicated and it's not going to be eliminated," Fauci said. "So you're going to make a question and an answer for yourself, for me as an individual, for you as an individual. What is my age? What is my status? Do I have people at home who are vulnerable that if I bring the virus home there may be a problem?"

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/fauci-individuals-continue-assess-covid-risks/story?id=83983897

And this is why I also favor public weighing of risks. We shouldn’t allow the unvaccinated into restaurants. It for their safety, but because they are much more likely and powerful spreaders, and they should be accountable for their decisions. It’s why I keep masks in my store at the moment because unmasked people increase the chance of spread to my people, and my employees should t have to place their livelihood ahead of their risk, and my volunteers or customers should t have to stay home so some folks who don’t like masks and vaccines can be free.

I want to convince a few unvaccinated people of the more powerful spreaders part. Can you point me to sources on that part (or both)? I understand (and can explain persuasively) the more likely aspect, but the 'powerful' part would maybe help sink it in somewhat and hopefully change some minds.

There is a lot of data out there, but all things being equal it is pretty well established the unvaccinated person is more likely to contract covid, even if that was lessened with later variants. And all things are not equal. Anti mask anti vax people have a tendency to take less precautions overall. And they are more likely to be symptomatic, which increases exhaled viral loads, even right before or with mild symptoms. And they are more likely not to test, and even to put people at risk knowingly positive. It’s the preponderance. You don’t want to have your mask off around other people with their masks off (either one, and definitely not both) who deliberately engage in dangerous behavior, where you can’t tell who is who.

I have run a store for two years of pandemic, and a back room full of volunteers of advanced age. And we have had zero cases traced to the store and very very few among our group in total. We even went maskless in the back for a while because we were all vaxxed (until we learned delta was transmissible from vaxxed to vaxxed). There isn’t any doubt that masks where everyone mingles and vaccine requirements where masks come off is effective.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:39 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
focus wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Quote:

By Gabriel Pietrorazio

There is a lot of data out there, but all things being equal it is pretty well established the unvaccinated person is more likely to contract covid, even if that was lessened with later variants. And all things are not equal. Anti mask anti vax people have a tendency to take less precautions overall. And they are more likely to be symptomatic, which increases exhaled viral loads, even right before or with mild symptoms. And they are more likely not to test, and even to put people at risk knowingly positive. It’s the preponderance. You don’t want to have your mask off around other people with their masks off (either one, and definitely not both) who deliberately engage in dangerous behavior, where you can’t tell who is who.

I have run a store for two years of pandemic, and a back room full of volunteers of advanced age. And we have had zero cases traced to the store and very very few among our group in total. We even went maskless in the back for a while because we were all vaxxed (until we learned delta was transmissible from vaxxed to vaxxed). There isn’t any doubt that masks where everyone mingles and vaccine requirements where masks come off is effective.

I would be very interested in your sources for that data.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:28 am    Post subject:

cathy78 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

<snip>

Here is a recent UK study:
Effect of Covid-19 Vaccination on Transmission of Alpha and Delta Variants

The paper is dense with data and statistics. Here's the consumable key portion:
Quote:

We found that both the BNT162b2 and ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccines were associated with reduced onward transmission of SARS-CoV-2 from index patients who became infected despite vaccination. However, in index patients who were vaccinated with BNT162b2 and probably in those who were vaccinated with ChAdOx1 nCoV-19, reductions in transmission of the delta variant were smaller than reductions in transmission of the alpha variant. In population-based studies, vaccines have continued to provide protection against infection with the delta variant, but to a lesser degree than against infection with the alpha variant.8 Therefore, the delta variant eroded vaccine-associated protection against transmission both by making infection more common and by increasing transmission from infected vaccinated persons.

So despite the their three cautionary observations which I summarize below
1) transmission protection provided by all the vaccines wanes over time
2) transmission protection provided by all vaccines against the delta variant was observed to be lower than for the alpha variant
3) viral loads were observed to be similar between unvaccinated and vaccinated patients infected with the delta variant

they did observe that all the vaccines in their study provided some degree of transmission protection against both the alpha and delta variants.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject:

David Pakman Show

(It's Baaaaack: COVID Spikes, Masks Back On?)

Quote:
--COVID is rising in some places, Philadelphia is putting indoor masks back on, the US State Department orders all non-emergency government staff out of Shanghai, and much more
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject:

CNN

(Fauci on Covid-19: The risk level is not zero)

Quote:
Covid-19 case numbers have begun to edge up in the United States, and nearly all of them are caused by the Omicron subvariant BA.2. Dr. Anthony Fauci discusses the uptick in cases with CNN’s Kate Bolduan.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:47 am    Post subject:

I just got my Moderna booster (4th shot). Hopefully this will be the last one for a while. I'm still wearing my mask in public places.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
I just got my Moderna booster (4th shot). Hopefully this will be the last one for a while. I'm still wearing my mask in public places.

May your side effects be minimal.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
32 wrote:

May your side effects be minimal.

Thanks! My arm seems to be sorer than usual.

Last edited by 32 on Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject:

MSNBC

(Dr. Kavita Patel: ‘We Now Think That These Variants Of BA2 Are Even More Infectious Than BA2')

Quote:
Dr. Kavita Patel joins Andrea Mitchell to assess the danger of BA2 sub-variants and future Covid mutations, amid rising infections in the Northeast. “We now think that these variants of BA2 are even more infectious than BA2,” says Dr. Patel. “That is a cause for concern and reason for people to think about their travels and think about putting on a mask.”
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject:

MSNBC

(Dr. Jha Is Hopeful That BA.2 Won’t Lead To Increased Hospitalizations)

Quote:
White House Coronavirus Response Coordinator Dr. Ashish Jha address the recent rise in Covid-19 cases in the U.S. and how we can manage through a possible spike
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

First of all, the US doesn't implement China style lockdowns.

The group r/shanghai is a nightmare with lockdown rage, so much for CCP Xi-tler's "common prosperity" as it appears to be common misery, all day every day. Lack of food, children being separated from parents, pets getting killed in a quest for zero covid. The latest CCP maneuver is to evict 500 people from their apartments to turn it into a quarantine facility.

https://old.reddit.com/r/shanghai/comments/u3lfbj/april_14_residents_of_zhangjiang_nashi/

Things have been drastically different in the US. Under current emergency orders in Los Angeles, even if tenants aren’t able to pay rent during the pandemic, no problem! Many are still staying in their apartments rent-free under the moratorium. No police in hazmat suits, not much of any police presence at all. While it hasn't been ideal for retirees who saved up to own a duplex for some rental income in their golden years, that's another story for another thread.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:30 pm    Post subject:

XTC wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

First of all, the US doesn't implement China style lockdowns.

The group r/shanghai is a nightmare with lockdown rage, so much for CCP Xi-tler's "common prosperity" as it appears to be common misery, all day every day. Lack of food, children being separated from parents, pets getting killed in a quest for zero covid. The latest CCP maneuver is to evict 500 people from their apartments to turn it into a quarantine facility.

https://old.reddit.com/r/shanghai/comments/u3lfbj/april_14_residents_of_zhangjiang_nashi/

Things have been drastically different in the US. Under current emergency orders in Los Angeles, even if tenants aren’t able to pay rent during the pandemic, no problem! Many are still staying in their apartments rent-free under the moratorium. No police in hazmat suits, not much of any police presence at all. While it hasn't been ideal for retirees who saved up to own a duplex for some rental income in their golden years, that's another story for another thread.

Its a huge debacle over there. People are being denied medical treatments for their zero covid lockdowns. Their censors are working overtime to try to disappear angry posts on the situation. Meanwhile Xi went to Hainan Island.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:25 pm    Post subject:

What is the point of zero COVID unless you're planning on living in a bubble from the rest of the world moving forward? Are they counting on it to be eradicated?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:27 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
What is the point of zero COVID unless you're planning on living in a bubble from the rest of the world moving forward? Are they counting on it to be eradicated?

To show that the Chinese government can control covid better than the west. For them its about the ego of the party.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:54 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
some thoughts on the lockdown in Shanghai, China. locking down a city of 25M people to zero out Covid is as ridiculous as they come. you lock down a city when Covid just broke out, not when it has already living among human for over 2 years. this is just another show for the CCP to flex their muscle with its citizens. it's almost like a dry run to how they would lock down a big metropolitan mega city like shanghai at moment's notice if they want to in the future. i have no faith in the reported numbers of positive cases by CCP, they can very well manipulate numbers to achieve their political goals.

just watch, after a few days, positive cases will magically decline, and shanghai will be reopened, and all the citizens will singing CCP praises.

Zero covid has been a failure. At this point all locking down does is demonstrate the power of their government over their people. I also think they don't want to let it go because its their government's strategy to contain covid and they don't want to admit their way was worse than the west.

No, that's not all it does. And pretending that is the case simply justifies the mindless "but mah freedumbs!" anti-mask nonsense.

First of all, the US doesn't implement China style lockdowns. So settle down with your BS. Not once did I say anything about anti-masking non-sense or whatever you are trying to bring into the discussion. It is well known anybody who is educated on covid response in China that it is a matter of government policy that they have ulterior motives.

Not sure what you expected after making such a baseless statement. It's the very thing that has fed anti-masking.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:31 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Not sure what you expected after making such a baseless statement. It's the very thing that has fed anti-masking.

Apparently reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. When I put "their" in my statement I was referring to the Chinese government. Of course as usual you have to put in a snarky remark to turn it into something I never meant with the anti-mask BS. And Australia ended their covid zero policies because it failed to stop the newest variants.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/08/opinion/australia-covid-delta.html
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-58406526
Not to mention a zero covid policy and anti-masking are two very different things.

Last edited by lakersken80 on Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:13 pm    Post subject:

WION

(Gravitas: Clashes in Shanghai over lockdown evictions)

Quote:
Residents of Shanghai clashed with the local police after they were forced to surrender their home for quarantine facilities. China's zero-covid policy has sparked public anger. Molly Gambhir tells you about the rising discontent.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
It's not over: COVID-19 cases are on the rise again in the U.S.

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1515153007524167680
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:46 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

Its a huge debacle over there. People are being denied medical treatments for their zero covid lockdowns. Their censors are working overtime to try to disappear angry posts on the situation. Meanwhile Xi went to Hainan Island.

Looks like even the people with serious medical emergencies are being turned away. Those quarantine quarters in China are horrifying, 200 people sharing 4 toilets in cramped conditions. Anyone who tests positive is taken by the "white suits" to quarantine (aka re-infecton chambers) where they stay until they can test negative several times. Seems like a petri dish for a new variant. Videos of conditions are trickling out thanks to waves of re-posts versus the censor Whac-A-Mole. Hope they keep the pressure up.

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/crowded-everyone-less-than-a-metre-away-shanghais-life-in-quarantine-2887682

Been hearing that Shanghai still has a number of Jiang Zemin followers, Xi's managed to maintain control but 26 million will eventually have their voices heard. That escape to Hainan Island does reek like a page out of Cruz to Cancun.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:20 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
cathy78 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

<snip>

Quote:

We found that both the BNT162b2 and ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccines were associated with reduced onward transmission of SARS-CoV-2 from index patients who became infected despite vaccination. However, in index patients who were vaccinated with BNT162b2 and probably in those who were vaccinated with ChAdOx1 nCoV-19, reductions in transmission of the delta variant were smaller than reductions in transmission of the alpha variant. In population-based studies, vaccines have continued to provide protection against infection with the delta variant, but to a lesser degree than against infection with the alpha variant.8 Therefore, the delta variant eroded vaccine-associated protection against transmission both by making infection more common and by increasing transmission from infected vaccinated persons.

2) transmission protection provided by all vaccines against the delta variant was observed to be lower than for the alpha variant
3) viral loads were observed to be similar between unvaccinated and vaccinated patients infected with the delta variant

they did observe that all the vaccines in their study provided some degree of transmission protection against both the alpha and delta variants.

Thanks. Is this a one of study or is there more research that can replicate and conform? This covid (bleep) made me very aware of that replication crisis and fake science...
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:32 am    Post subject:

cathy78 wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
cathy78 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

<snip>

Quote:

Thanks. Is this a one of study or is there more research that can replicate and conform? This covid (bleep) made me very aware of that replication crisis and fake science...

There are more, look at the bottom of this paper for their citations of other peer-reviewed studies.
As for fake science, just ignore social media, most of it is sales-pitches or propaganda or gossip. Find the actual study (like this one) ensure it's published in a prominent professional journal and is peer-reviewed (e.g. NEJM, AMA, BMJ etc.), as opposed to an opinion piece or a set of claims.
paymonM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:04 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:46 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Apparently reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. When I put "their" in my statement I was referring to the Chinese government. Of course as usual you have to put in a snarky remark to turn it into something I never meant with the anti-mask BS. And Australia ended their covid zero policies because it failed to stop the newest variants.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/08/opinion/australia-covid-delta.html
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-58406526
Not to mention a zero covid policy and anti-masking are two very different things.

Fair enough. I apologize for taking the comment out of context. After almost two years of watching surges , I guess I'm a little sensitive to anything that could be interpreted at anti-mandate discussion.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 310, 311, 312 ... 316, 317, 318  Next
Page 311 of 318
Jump to: