Worldwide Coronavirus Thread (US death toll passes 1 Million - that's right, 1 Million dead)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 259, 260, 261 ... 316, 317, 318  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
Tennessee radio host doubted and mocked vaccines – now he has Covid

Quote:
What are my odds of getting Covid? They’re pretty low. What are my odds of dying from Covid if I do get it? Probably way less than 1%.

Cool ...

I have a "friend" that I've known for over 30 years. I've mentioned him before in the Political thread.... just got back in touch with him after he went silent after the election. (go figure) He asked if myself and the family had been vaxxed... I replied with "Yes, every single last one of us, including my 13 year old son".

He replied with.... "Hope it goes well for you, let me know how that works out" Then he went off on a rant about not EVER getting anything the government tells him to get. His wife and her parents, his sister in law and his 2 nephews ages 17 and 12. ALL un-vaxxed because he is so adamant that the vaccine is the devil.

To be honest with you.. I hope he gets it. Or I hope someone in the family gets it and he has to deal with the fallout. I don't wish death or anything... just some inconvenience. I hope thats not terrible of me.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:
Buck32 wrote:

Quote:
What are my odds of getting Covid? They’re pretty low. What are my odds of dying from Covid if I do get it? Probably way less than 1%.

Cool ...

I have a "friend" that I've known for over 30 years. I've mentioned him before in the Political thread.... just got back in touch with him after he went silent after the election. (go figure) He asked if myself and the family had been vaxxed... I replied with "Yes, every single last one of us, including my 13 year old son".

He replied with.... "Hope it goes well for you, let me know how that works out" Then he went off on a rant about not EVER getting anything the government tells him to get. His wife and her parents, his sister in law and his 2 nephews ages 17 and 12. ALL un-vaxxed because he is so adamant that the vaccine is the devil.

To be honest with you.. I hope he gets it. Or I hope someone in the family gets it and he has to deal with the fallout. I don't wish death or anything... just some inconvenience. I hope thats not terrible of me.

I remember you talking about this friend and honestly I hope he learns his lesson too.

They aren't just endangering themselves, they are endangering all of us. So it's hard not to hope they are made to feel the consequences of the stupid decisions and actually learn something. We have a 70% vax rate in Mass but and influx of tourists created COVID hotspots in our state and now we are in the same COVID danger zone that Florida is. How is that fair? The unvaxed people are doing this to the rest of us. That's the definition of "terrible."
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:
Buck32 wrote:

Quote:

Cool ...

Yet, the people who say that would have ran over their own grandma to get stuck had Trump told them to get the vax when he was president.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject:

So when does the evil gov't stop picking up the tab for Covid Healthcare now that it is taking the first steps to being a mostly preventable disease?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:44 am    Post subject:

Good news.

Quote:
The pace of vaccine shots being administered (a 7-day average of 582,659 shots per day) is the highest it’s been in two weeks, according to CDC data reviewed by CNN.

governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject:

Don’t know bout LA but up here, mandate just started

https://mobile.twitter.com/NYCMayor/status/1419663876019433473?s=08
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Don’t know bout LA but up here, mandate just started

https://mobile.twitter.com/NYCMayor/status/1419663876019433473?s=08

It hasn’t happened here for City of LA employees yet, but it will likely be coming. Pasadena’s already requiring it for city employees.
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject:

CA state employees:

Quote:
California to require proof of vaccination for state workers, all health care workers

By The Associated Press
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — California will require state employees and all health care workers to show proof of Covid-19 vaccination or get tested weekly as officials aim to slow rising coronavirus infections, mostly among the unvaccinated.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/california-require-proof-vaccination-state-workers-all-healthcare-workers-n1275059
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Looks like mandates are starting to roll out all over.

NYT: V.A. Issues Vaccine Mandate for Health Care Workers, a First for a Federal Agency

CNN: De Blasio mandates Covid-19 vaccinations or weekly testing for entire NYC municipal work force, including teachers and police and firefighters

CNN: Major medical groups call for employers to mandate Covid-19 vaccines for health care workers

Quote:
As the number of Covid-19 cases surges in the United States, more than 50 health and medical groups – including the American Medical Association, the American College of Physicians, the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Public Health Association – issued a joint statement calling for all health care and long-term care employers to mandate employees be vaccinated against Covid-19.

“Our health care organizations and societies advocate that all health care and long-term care employers require their workers to receive the COVID-19 vaccine. This is the logical fulfillment of the ethical commitment of all health care workers to put patients as well as residents of long-term care facilities first and take all steps necessary to ensure their health and well-being,” they wrote in the joint statement issued Monday.

“Because of highly contagious variants, including the Delta variant, and significant numbers of unvaccinated people, COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations and deaths are once again rising throughout the United States. Vaccination is the primary way to put the pandemic behind us and avoid the return of stringent public health measures,” the statement added.

White House press secretary Jen Psaki said Monday the White House supports the medical associations’ call to mandate vaccines for all US health personnel.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:33 am    Post subject:

I found this article really interesting: it's about the pressures *vaccinated* people are facing these days, common misconceptions even amongst thoughtful/knowledgeable people about vaccine efficacy, masking, breakthrough infections, Covid severity etc.

The new Covid panic
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:51 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
I found this article really interesting: it's about the pressures *vaccinated* people are facing these days, common misconceptions even amongst thoughtful/knowledgeable people about vaccine efficacy, masking, breakthrough infections, Covid severity etc.

The new Covid panic

Very informative and confirms a lot of my thinking over the past month. Thanks.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:39 am    Post subject:

I make it a point to wear a mask whenever I'm near & amongst people I don't know . . . or whose vaccination status is questionable (to me). I am most careful indoors, with people I don't live with, such as when I go shopping for food. I've been fully vaccinated since April.

This Delta variant is no joke, and the CDC has erred on the side of infection.

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject:

It looks like the CDC is going to recommend masks again for specific situations. Official announcement later today.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject:

Washington Post: CDC to urge vaccinated people to resume wearing masks indoors in some circumstances as delta variant spreads

Quote:
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will recommend on Tuesday that vaccinated Americans wear masks indoors in certain circumstances, citing the highly transmissible delta variant of the coronavirus.

The agency is recommending that vaccinated people who live in areas with substantial and high transmission rates wear masks in indoor public spaces to help prevent viral spread, according to three people familiar with the guidance. It is also advising that vaccinated people with vulnerable people in their households, including young children and those who are immunocompromised, wear masks indoors in public spaces.

In addition, the agency is urging universal masking for all teachers, staff members and students in schools, regardless of vaccination status.

The guidance, to be announced at a 3 p.m. news briefing, would reverse the CDC’s May 13 recommendation that vaccinated people did not have to wear masks indoors

trmiv - hopefully this is good news for your wife and supersedes DeathSantis idiocy.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Looks like mandates are starting to roll out all over.

NYT: V.A. Issues Vaccine Mandate for Health Care Workers, a First for a Federal Agency

CNN: De Blasio mandates Covid-19 vaccinations or weekly testing for entire NYC municipal work force, including teachers and police and firefighters

CNN: Major medical groups call for employers to mandate Covid-19 vaccines for health care workers

Quote:
As the number of Covid-19 cases surges in the United States, more than 50 health and medical groups – including the American Medical Association, the American College of Physicians, the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Public Health Association – issued a joint statement calling for all health care and long-term care employers to mandate employees be vaccinated against Covid-19.

“Our health care organizations and societies advocate that all health care and long-term care employers require their workers to receive the COVID-19 vaccine. This is the logical fulfillment of the ethical commitment of all health care workers to put patients as well as residents of long-term care facilities first and take all steps necessary to ensure their health and well-being,” they wrote in the joint statement issued Monday.

“Because of highly contagious variants, including the Delta variant, and significant numbers of unvaccinated people, COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations and deaths are once again rising throughout the United States. Vaccination is the primary way to put the pandemic behind us and avoid the return of stringent public health measures,” the statement added.

White House press secretary Jen Psaki said Monday the White House supports the medical associations’ call to mandate vaccines for all US health personnel.

Finally.

I hope this expands to more sectors. Life is going to have to be made unbearable without being vaccinated until these people comply. I know that sounds big brother-y, but in this case, it's for the best, otherwise this will drag on forever and be a constant drag on society, the health care system and the economy.

Last edited by DuncanIdaho on Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject:

current guideline for vaccinated person without symptoms but directly exposed to a covid positive person is to do nothing aka no testing/quarantine recommended. I wonder if this is time to change
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject:

I'll post longer CDC statement but here is one headline:

Vaccinated people CAN spread Delta variant.

This seemed apparent just from reading various anecdotal accounts.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject:

Boston Globe: CDC recommends that some vaccinated people wear masks indoors again

Quote:
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reversed course Tuesday on some masking guidelines, recommending that even vaccinated people return to wearing masks indoors in parts of the U.S. where the coronavirus is surging.

Citing new information about the ability of the delta variant to spread among vaccinated people, the CDC also recommended indoor masks for all teachers, staff, students and visitors to schools, regardless of vaccination status.

“We have new science related to the Delta variant that requires us to update the guidance,” for vaccinated people, CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said Tuesday.

“Recent outbreak investigations show that the delta variant behaves uniquely differently,” Walensky said. ”In areas with substantial and high transmission, CDC recommends fully vaccinated people wear masks.”

Quote:
The new guidance follows recent decisions in Los Angeles and St. Louis to revert to indoor mask mandates amid a spike in COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations that have been especially bad in the South. The country is averaging more than 57,000 cases a day and 24,000 COVID-19 hospitalizations.

Most new infections in the U.S. continue to be among unvaccinated people. But “breakthrough” infections, which generally cause milder illness, can occur in vaccinated people. When earlier strains of the virus predominated, infected vaccinated people were found to have low levels of virus and were deemed unlikely to spread the virus much, Walensky said.

But with the delta variant, the level of virus in infected vaccinated people is “indistinguishable” from the level of virus in the noses and throats of unvaccinated people, Walensky said.

The data emerged over the last couple of days from 100 samples. It is unpublished, and the CDC has not released it. But “it is concerning enough that we feel like we have to act,” Walensky said.

Vaccinated people “have the potential to spread that virus to others,” she said.

Quote:
“If all the unvaccinated people were responsible and wore mask indoors, we would not be seeing this surge,” said Dr. Ali Khan, a former CDC disease investigator who now is dean of the University of Nebraska’s College of Public Health.

Lawrence Gostin, a public health law professor at Georgetown University, drew a similar conclusion.

“It was completely foreseeable that when they (the CDC) made their announcement, masking would no longer be the norm, and that’s exactly what’s happened,” Gostin said.

Yup. Many of us said so right away.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject:

^^^
Contemplating a change to DaMaskRules.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Biden will announce that all Federal employees must be vaccinated. Amen.

This is going to drive the right even more loony than usual.

(Official announcement coming this Thursday.)
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Just got off the phone with an associate working ICU in Moval. He said, "its happening again." We got emails this morning saying we are projected to be in overflow in October. So, take that FWIW.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:33 am    Post subject:

San Diego County is following CDC guidelines and asking all people to wear a mask (indoors).
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Ana Cabrera @AnaCabrera

NEW: Pfizer data show that a third dose of its Covid-19 vaccine “strongly” boosts protection against Delta variant

The data posted online, which are expected to be discussed in a company earnings call on Wednesday morning, suggest that antibody levels against the Delta variant in people ages 18 to 55 who receive a third dose of vaccine are greater than five-fold following a second dose.

Since I got the J&J shot which some studies have shown is not as effective against Delta, and with much research over the last month, I decided yesterday to get a single shot of Pfizer as a booster to my J&J shot. There seemed to be almost no downside and a fair amount of upside. So far, no side effects. (We have pop-up vaccine clinics in my town which specifically state that no ID and no insurance is necessary to get the shot. Since I would show up as fully vaccinated and denied a second vaccine, I was able to work around the issue.)
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:
Ana Cabrera @AnaCabrera

NEW: Pfizer data show that a third dose of its Covid-19 vaccine “strongly” boosts protection against Delta variant

The data posted online, which are expected to be discussed in a company earnings call on Wednesday morning, suggest that antibody levels against the Delta variant in people ages 18 to 55 who receive a third dose of vaccine are greater than five-fold following a second dose.

Since I got the J&J shot which some studies have shown is not as effective against Delta, and with much research over the last month, I decided yesterday to get a single shot of Pfizer as a booster to my J&J shot. There seemed to be almost no downside and a fair amount of upside. So far, no side effects. (We have pop-up vaccine clinics in my town which specifically state that no ID and no insurance is necessary to get the shot. Since I would show up as fully vaccinated and denied a second vaccine, I was able to work around the issue.)

I had two Pfizer doses already. Do you think I can go to a no ID clinic and get a third?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject:

xxsicrokerxx wrote:
Just got off the phone with an associate working ICU in Moval. He said, "its happening again." We got emails this morning saying we are projected to be in overflow in October. So, take that FWIW.

So maybe looking at case counts had some predictive value?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 259, 260, 261 ... 316, 317, 318  Next
Page 260 of 318
Jump to: