Worldwide Coronavirus Thread (US death toll passes 1 Million - that's right, 1 Million dead)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 247, 248, 249 ... 316, 317, 318  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
SweetP wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

<snip>

I'm keeping an open mind about the origins of the pandemic but I don't believe the bolded above is true.

There are many instances of consecutive positively charged amino acids forming charged pockets in naturally occurring proteins.

In fact, viral proteins are notorious for having positively charged regions that allow them to bind to negatively charged cells.

I found the following very informative. Doesn't focus on sensationalism, gives a full overview on the latest expert thinking, doesn't embellish or extrapolate:
A virologist unpacks the lab leak hypothesis

This is one of those things that will probably never be definitively determined. There will be brilliant people who have different POVs no matter what. Plus, the anti-Asian spite that Trump fomented makes it a sensitive exercise. If it did come from a lab, it was a govt lab -- the Chinese or Asian peoples didn't do it. However, if we can ever know to a reasonable certainty where it came from, I think it should be researched and announced to the public. I have no idea if scientists can get to the bottom of it and especially because there's no access to the lab by outsiders and the Chinese govt promotes the zoonotic theory (of course).
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject:

NPZ got vaxxed with the PFZ.

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject:

I had mild flu like tinges early this morn, but they went away within a few hours. Woke up w/ a typical headache that went away w/ Advil.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject:

California opens up today!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
California opens up today!

jodeke closes up today. If I have to go out I'll double mask. Too many Republicans walking around out there. Like LC I don't want to be mistaken for one. Hoping we don't see a spike.

I just made an appointment for an eye examination. I'll mask up.

The appointment center agent hasn't been vaccinated. I asked her why? She said she's working from home. I didn't go into my Get Vaccinated spiel about asymptomatic carriers and protecting those around you, I'm honestly tired of doing it.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject:

Finally, we re-open fully, but...I haven't seen the major companies (grocery stores, retailers, restaurants, etc.) explicitly say that you don't have to wear a mask inside one of their California stores.

Went to a few places this morning, and ppl were still wearing them inside.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Finally, we re-open fully, but...I haven't seen the major companies (grocery stores, retailers, restaurants, etc.) explicitly say that you don't have to wear a mask inside one of their California stores.

Went to a few places this morning, and ppl were still wearing them inside.

It just means the state is no longer enforcing capacity limits and a mask mandate. Those businesses can still enforce a mask policy at their discretion.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject:

I'm sure he'll end up getting out in a in a couple of years at most, but it's better than nothing:

Iowa man convicted of assault over mask fight sentenced to 10 years

The man is accused of gouging the victim's eye, kneeing him in the genitals and spitting and coughing on him, saying, "If I have it, you have it."

An Iowa man convicted of assaulting a man who told him to pull his mask up last year was sentenced Wednesday to 10 years in prison, according to a court representative.

Shane Michael, 42, was convicted last month to willful injury causing serious injury — a Class C forcible felony, according to court records — which has a mandatory 10-year prison term.

Jodi Heims, a records supervisor with the Polk County Clerk of Court Office confirmed that he was sentenced last week to 10 years in prison.

Michael was arrested on Nov. 11 following the altercation at an eyeglass store in Des Moines, according to a police report.

The victim, Mark Dinning, told Des Moines police that he told Michael as he was in the store that his mask was low on his face, the report said. Dinning, 60, said Michael got angry, and the two had a verbal argument.

When Dinning left the store, Michael followed him, cornered him outside and started to assault him, Dinning told police. Michael gouged Dinning's eye, kneed him in the genitals where he had recently had surgery and spit and coughed on him, saying, "If I have it, you have it."

Dinning said he bit Michael to try to stop the assault.

Michael told police that he was acting in self defense after Dinning "shoulder-checked" him when the two left the store, the police report said. Michael said Dinning had also "jabbed his thumb in his stomach."

But two witnesses said Michael started the physical confrontation. One recounted that Michael followed Dinning into the parking lot, cornered him and assaulted him, the police report said. There were no cameras in the parking lot.

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Well the Delta variant is certainly concerning. It’s apparently 60% more infectious than Alpha which was already 50% more than the original. Vaccines appear less effective vs it as well, but if you’ve got two doses you’re still pretty well protected. Big issue is kids who aren’t protected at all. I’ve got an 8 year old and a 1 month old who can’t be vaccinated yet so that’s a worry.

When the (bleep) is really going to hit the fan is if states start locking down again and putting masks back in place. The nut bags who protested before are really going to lose their (bleep) this time.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
The nut bags who protested before are really going to lose their (bleep) this time.

Some of them will get infected and croak.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
Well the Delta variant is certainly concerning. It’s apparently 60% more infectious than Alpha which was already 50% more than the original. Vaccines appear less effective vs it as well, but if you’ve got two doses you’re still pretty well protected. Big issue is kids who aren’t protected at all. I’ve got an 8 year old and a 1 month old who can’t be vaccinated yet so that’s a worry.

When the (bleep) is really going to hit the fan is if states start locking down again and putting masks back in place. The nut bags who protested before are really going to lose their (bleep) this time.

Yeah, things are going to get ugly again. The premature attitude that we moved past this nasty bug has troubled me for a while now.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject:

Areas with high vaccination rates, especially with Pfizer will probably be fine. But red pockets in even blue states and red areas in the majority of southern states with low vaccination rates there is going to be trouble because community spread will be high.

The other concern is the AZ vaccine appears to be only 60% effective against infection vs Delta and although data for the J&J hasn’t been released it’s likely similar. I’d definitely be more concerned for myself had I not gotten Pfizer. Also it appears the first dose of the mRNA vaccines are significantly less protective vs Delta as they were for the other variants, meaning people need to be vigilant longer after the first dose.

As for my kids, I’m hoping they will quickly move to approve 8-11 year olds for Pfizer instead of waiting longer to make it 2-11 as it appeared they were going to wait for. Even so with school starting in mid August here it’s unlikely she’s going to be fully vaccinated by then regardless. As of now it appears masks will be optional, which was already stupid given kids can’t be vaccinated, but even more stupid with Delta. Hopefully since this is a blue area the school board will reconsider if Delta is raging. Obviously it’s going to be awhile until my infant can be vaccinated, so I need to avoid morons.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
Areas with high vaccination rates, especially with Pfizer will probably be fine. But red pockets in even blue states and red areas in the majority of southern states with low vaccination rates there is going to be trouble because community spread will be high.

The other concern is the AZ vaccine appears to be only 60% effective against infection vs Delta and although data for the J&J hasn’t been released it’s likely similar. I’d definitely be more concerned for myself had I not gotten Pfizer. Also it appears the first dose of the mRNA vaccines are significantly less protective vs Delta as they were for the other variants, meaning people need to be vigilant longer after the first dose.

As for my kids, I’m hoping they will quickly move to approve 8-11 year olds for Pfizer instead of waiting longer to make it 2-11 as it appeared they were going to wait for. Even so with school starting in mid August here it’s unlikely she’s going to be fully vaccinated by then regardless. As of now it appears masks will be optional, which was already stupid given kids can’t be vaccinated, but even more stupid with Delta. Hopefully since this is a blue area the school board will reconsider if Delta is raging. Obviously it’s going to be awhile until my infant can be vaccinated, so I need to avoid morons.

As local communities relax restrictions and interstate travel kicks in, it's not going to be restricted to just the communities, it's going to spread, because the virus is going to continue to mutate.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
In Minnesota, the HealthPartners system has seen a “precipitous decline” in COVID-19 hospitalizations, says Dr. Mark Sannes, an infectious disease physician and senior medical director for the system, which operates nine hospitals and more than 55 clinics. But now, nearly every admitted patient he does see is unvaccinated.

In Ohio, at University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center, only 2% of the COVID-19 patients admitted in the last month were vaccinated, said Dr. Robert Salata, the hospital's physician-in-chief.

And at Sanford Health, which runs 44 medical centers and more than 200 clinics across the Dakotas, Minnesota and Iowa, less than 5% of the 1,456 patients admitted with COVID-19 so far this year were fully vaccinated,

Falling rates of COVID-19 across the United States mask a harsh reality – the overwhelming majority of those getting sick and being hospitalized today are unvaccinated, while vaccinated patients are becoming rare.

Hospitals in states with the lowest vaccination rates tend to have more COVID-19 patients in intensive care units, according to hospital data collected in the past week by the Department of Health and Human Services and vaccination rates published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Wyoming, Missouri, Arkansas and Idaho currently have the highest percentage of COVID-19 patients on average in their ICUs; those states all have vaccinated less than 40% of their population.

Medical centers say there's also an obvious change in the age of their sickest patients, as older people are much more likely to be vaccinated than younger.

Self Inflicted
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:44 am    Post subject:

I know he's a jerk and a racist, but I loved Derek and the Dominos, which I think was his artistic peak. But he's just a bad person, so no more Slowhand music for me:

Surprised Eric Clapton is a conspiracy theorist? Don’t be

Quote:
Clapton has spent most of the Covid pandemic trying to undermine expert medical advice. Like fellow aging irresponsible crank Van Morrison, Clapton has opposed lockdowns. Now, he is claiming his temporary adverse reaction to the vaccine is a sign that the vaccines are dangerous. Scientific studies, expert opinion, and public health recommendations to the contrary are, in his words, “propaganda.”

Quote:
Any discussion of the worst of Clapton has to start in August 1976. At a Birmingham concert. Clapton urged the audience at the venue to support Enoch Powell, a viciously anti-immigrant conservative politician, and reportedly added that he thought Black people — which he referred to by using two different offensive slurs — should leave the country ...

Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject:

I got the shot, i wear a mask but lets be real. the clarity on covid has been foggy at best.

Now they want us to vaccinate our kids? fortunately my guy is still too young because i dont know if i would vaccinate him today.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
I got the shot, i wear a mask but lets be real. the clarity on covid has been foggy at best.

Now they want us to vaccinate our kids? fortunately my guy is still too young because i dont know if i would vaccinate him today.

I mean you vaccinate them for other things right? How is this any different? As soon as my kids can get vaccinated they will be vaccinated. I don’t care if covid isn’t as deadly for them, I don’t want the risk and I don’t want them to deal with long haul symptoms.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
Halflife wrote:

I mean you vaccinate them for other things right? How is this any different? As soon as my kids can get vaccinated they will be vaccinated. I don’t care if covid isn’t as deadly for them, I don’t want the risk and I don’t want them to deal with long haul symptoms.

Not to mention being vectors that kill other people.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
trmiv wrote:
Halflife wrote:

That’s the thing that has been driving me nuts about those choosing not to vax against COVID, the presumption that it is purely about whether they are protected or not and no acknowledgement that there is a herd level of protection as well.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
Halflife wrote:

i do. However the other required vaccinations have a lot more clarity. Im not saying i wouldnt just fortunately hes not of age.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
trmiv wrote:
Halflife wrote:

That’s the thing that has been driving me nuts about those choosing not to vax against COVID, the presumption that it is purely about whether they are protected or not and no acknowledgement that there is a herd level of protection as well.

That and the idea that somehow the vaccines aren’t properly vetted. They did all the steps, they just did them quickly and in some cases simultaneously. And the worst made up possible maybe side effects are minuscule next to the danger of Covid. But people really have a hard time using their frontal lobes instead of their limbic system.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject:

That’s been my basic point to anti vaxxers about all vaccines. Even if I set aside reason and evidence and grant you every feared side effect, the answer is still overwhelmingly to get vaccinated.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject:

just went to target. was the first time in 18 months I’ve seen people inside a california store without masks.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject:

California is now allowing workers to not wear masks. I just went to Ralph's and there were several employees in the store without masks on. There were more employees without masks than shoppers.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
California is now allowing workers to not wear masks. I just went to Ralph's and there were several employees in the store without masks on. There were more employees without masks than shoppers.

It'll put that vaccination rate to the test. If the vaccine is as effective as they say it is, we won't see a major spike in infections.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 247, 248, 249 ... 316, 317, 318  Next
Page 248 of 318
Jump to: