Worldwide Coronavirus Thread (US death toll passes 1 Million - that's right, 1 Million dead)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 243, 244, 245 ... 316, 317, 318  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject:

I’m going to “trust the science” as they say and the science is saying the vaccines are highly effective. The science is leading the CDC to change their guidance regarding masks. If the science is saying that fully vaccinated individuals can enjoy things more similar to pre-Covid life, that’s what I’m going to do.

That said I won’t blame anyone for continuing to wear a mask. You have to do what makes you comfortable. It’s going to take time for a lot of people since we’ve been observing these measures for so long. Nothing wrong with that. Take it slow and do what makes you feel comfortable. I would possibly feel different if I didn’t live on the surface of the sun, but a mask in Florida heat is absolutely brutal, so it’s coming off as soon as Orange County lifts the mandate.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Governor of MA says we will keep our mask mandate for now.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
I'm keeping mine on. I don't want to be mistaken for a republican.

That too.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
I’m going to “trust the science” as they say and the science is saying the vaccines are highly effective. The science is leading the CDC to change their guidance regarding masks. If the science is saying that fully vaccinated individuals can enjoy things more similar to pre-Covid life, that’s what I’m going to do.

That said I won’t blame anyone for continuing to wear a mask. You have to do what makes you comfortable. It’s going to take time for a lot of people since we’ve been observing these measures for so long. Nothing wrong with that. Take it slow and do what makes you feel comfortable. I would possibly feel different if I didn’t live on the surface of the sun, but a mask in Florida heat is absolutely brutal, so it’s coming off as soon as Orange County lifts the mandate.

The problem with the cdc guideline is that it assumes unvaccinated people wear masks and distance. So how are you going to know who is who? Because the anti vaxxers aren’t gonna lie and go maskless? The vaccine is effective in 19 out of twenty instances, so how many potential instances are you willing to put yourself in?
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
trmiv wrote:

The problem with the cdc guideline is that it assumes unvaccinated people wear masks and distance. So how are you going to know who is who? Because the anti vaxxers aren’t gonna lie and go maskless? The vaccine is effective in 19 out of twenty instances, so how many potential instances are you willing to put yourself in?

At some point I have to trust this vaccine. I’ll take 19 out of 20. Also in the rare case you do you get it, the vaccine is extremely protective against severe disease. This is what we’ve hoped for all along. It’s not like I’m going to concerts, sitting in the stands at a full stadium or standing right next to massive groups, but I won’t be concerned about going to the grocery store, a clothing store or eating in a restaurant without a mask.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
Yes the CDC released new guidance that fully vaccinated individuals no longer need to wear a mask at most places indoors and out. When mask mandates are lifted in my county I’ll be going maskless at the store, restaurants, etc. I feel confident in this vaccine and I’m ready to reap the benefits of doing my part. It’s definitely going to feel weird walking into the grocery store with out a mask that first time.

I think businesses may still require it to come in until OSHA gives them the green light otherwise. Could happen any day for all I know.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
trmiv wrote:

At some point I have to trust this vaccine. I’ll take 19 out of 20. Also in the rare case you do you get it, the vaccine is extremely protective against severe disease. This is what we’ve hoped for all along. It’s not like I’m going to concerts, sitting in the stands at a full stadium or standing right next to massive groups, but I won’t be concerned about going to the grocery store, a clothing store or eating in a restaurant without a mask.

Again, the problem is how to separate you and the unvaxxed. You aren’t, for example, coming in my store without a mask until I am comfortable that I can solve that question. Even if you’re willing to gamble with 5% (higher with cumulative occurrences, just like a 1/6 chance of rolling a six on a die becomes significantly higher cumulatively if I keep re-rolling), I’m not willing to gamble on behalf of my staff and other customers. It’s a highly irresponsible position to take.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Tbh I actually don’t mind a mask. I will probably be one of the last hold outs

It's become such a part of my routine, I see no valid reason to discontinue doing so in near or distant future. There's no harm in doing so.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
trmiv wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
trmiv wrote:

Again, the problem is how to separate you and the unvaxxed. You aren’t, for example, coming in my store without a mask until I am comfortable that I can solve that question. Even if you’re willing to gamble with 5% (higher with cumulative occurrences, just like a 1/6 chance of rolling a six on a die becomes significantly higher cumulatively if I keep re-rolling), I’m not willing to gamble on behalf of my staff and other customers. It’s a highly irresponsible position to take.

That’s why I said “when Orange County ends the mandate”. Regardless of Florida, Orange County one of the bluest areas of Florida, still has a mask mandate that is largely followed. Once Mayor Demings decides to lift the mandate, combined with the Biden Administration’s CDC guidance, I will feel fine not wearing a mask. If you don’t, that’s fine, continue to wear one. If a store requires one to enter, I will wear a mask in that store. However I’m personally comfortable enough with the vaccine to stop wearing a mask in most situations.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 11:30 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Here’s the science that convinced the CDC to lift mask mandates

In the U.S., the number of newly reported Covid-19 cases, hospitalizations and deaths are all decreasing. The most recent seven-day average for new cases fell about 23 percent over the previous week, Walensky said. The seven-day average for daily deaths also declined to 587 per day, according to the CDC.

[...]

While it is possible for someone who is fully vaccinated to get infected, these breakthrough infections are considered very rare. Out of the more than 117 million people in the U.S. who have been fully vaccinated, just 9,245 people later tested positive for Covid-19. The CDC has also said illnesses from breakthrough infections are typically mild.

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/s-science-convinced-cdc-lift-mask-mandates-rcna932

So 0.007% and infections are mild. Those sound like great numbers and no reason to continue to be worried if fully vaccinated. If unvaccinated are only a threat to unvaccinated, that's amazing.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject:

i feel naked whenever i go outside without a mask
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject:

I'm gonna keep an eye out for new cases. IMO the new CDC unlimited regulations are too much. I hope I don't see a spike. I'll be wearing my mask while waiting for the new numbers. Hope they're low. 🤞🏾

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I'm gonna keep an eye out for new cases. IMO the new CDC unlimited regulations are too much. I hope I don't see a spike. I'll be wearing my mask while waiting for the new numbers. Hope they're low. 🤞🏾

That's a smart plan.

Right now the level of cases/hospitalizations/death seems quite low. In San Diego, where I live, for instance the % positive cases is like 1%. And that is probably higher than what is actually circulating since only people who have reason to suspect they might have been exposed or are having symptoms are getting tested. Compare that with 15-20% positive in Dec and Jan before widespread vaccinations were available.

I am going to be keeping an eye on levels in the week or two after Memorial Day and 4th of July weekends to see if any spikes. That will give the un-vaxed and un-masked nuts a chance to breathe all over each other. If no spikes then, I would interpret as the levels really are very low.

But I will continue to monitor the levels, the county releases new #s every day and I signed up for texts.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject:

I'm probably going to open my office back up a couple weeks after July 4. We'll see. The numbers are getting pretty low right now. We have a mixed of vax/non-vax. Everyone I've talked to so far doesn't mind being around the non-vax group. But I think for the safety of everyone, we can probably hold on just a little longer.

I hope, going forward, we really make an emphasis on people wearing a mask if they are sick. We have a chance to make that a thing like other countries. If you do cough or sneeze you are certainly going to get some looks from people if you are putting that into the air. Hopefully, people start wearing them as courtesy to others.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

You might be wearing your mask too low.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Trader Joe's has updated its mask policy and will not require customers who are fully vaccinated to wear a mask.

The specialty supermarket is believed to be the first major national retailer to make the change after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued new masking guidelines Thursday.

Trader Joe's Wants to See Your Smile
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

You might be wearing your mask too low.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:
Trader Joe's has updated its mask policy and will not require customers who are fully vaccinated to wear a mask.

The specialty supermarket is believed to be the first major national retailer to make the change after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued new masking guidelines Thursday.

Deeply irresponsible. Assume for a moment that vaccination grants you full immunity. You’re still letting people in on the honor system, and anti mask and anti vaxx people wouldn’t lie, right? So it’s not like the unvaccinated who come in wearing a mask are going to lose 2/3 of their protection or anything.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:

And how are they going to know?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:

They won't.
Quote:
Stores will not require or request proof of vaccination from customers, Trader Joe's spokesperson Kenya Friend-Daniel told USA TODAY. Employees still have to wear masks at this time.

At least they are keeping their employees masked, they are going to be exposed indoors for hours to people that are on the honor system about being vaccinated. I can see anti-mask nuts going and screaming in their faces about how they were right all along.

Last edited by SweetP on Fri May 14, 2021 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:

They are likely reinstating their Chicken Pox policy in place prior to 2020 -the one that presumes most folks are reasonable, but some clearly are not. It'll be interesting to see if banks follow suit and reinstitute their mandatory no mask policy.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Didn’t bill Maher have to cancel show because he got it? He’s vaccinated
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject:

So are businesses going to have a bouncer at the door checking IDs and Vaxx cards? This is not going to be good.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject:

I may get a custom mask that says “ I don’t trust you”
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:
So are businesses going to have a bouncer at the door checking IDs and Vaxx cards? This is not going to be good.

Nah. The CDC is just providing guidance. The Feds still haven"t repealed the Federal mask mandate for Federal Facilities and public transport. Governor's & Mayor's have varied on their mandate repeals based on regional politics. There will be a slow unraveling of all these many different masking protocols, just like there was a varied buildup in putting them in place. Some business will keep their mask mandates a bit longer, while others will start trying to return to business as usual. Some in the general public will complain it" s all too soon, while their counterbalance will complain it"s long overdue. Some customers will enter with masks while some will not. I"d say it would be the extreme exception to the rule that a business would ask for a VAX card. The overwhelming number of business will be laser focused on getting/staying financially sound, and for most that will be putting out a welcome mat to the masked and unmasked alike.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 243, 244, 245 ... 316, 317, 318  Next
Page 244 of 318
Jump to: