Lakers Showtime Series coming to HBO
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:15 am    Post subject:

i liked it! it wasn't amazing, but after just one episode... we are still in the "set up" phase. obviously they have jerry west being a bit over the top, but it's adam mckay. it's his thing.

and we've all heard of jerry's infamous melt downs. so his actions in the series probably aren't that far off, eh?

i mean, i've heard he lost his [filter bypass edit by alpha] a few times even when with the warriors too.

you can also see where the jeanie of today is coming from. her father's whole empire was built on operating like a big family. to say she should do otherwise goes against everything she was taught by him.

thing is, it takes Dr. Buss' cunning and savvy to take on billionaire owners like steve ballmer. does jeanie have it in her?
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject:

I'll watch when I get HBO for free(Xfinity has parts of the year where you can watch anything on HBO for free)
WC13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:

Jerry West came off as really bad. Just a miserable and angry person.

Yeah, I thought that was pretty ridiculous.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:45 pm    Post subject:

WC13 wrote:
AD23 wrote:

why? Isnt it accurate? too stressed to watch games, never seemingly happy, fast forward to today, there are recordings of him talking ish, and doing backend deals to sign players.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
WC13 wrote:
AD23 wrote:

why? Isnt it accurate? too stressed to watch games, never seemingly happy, fast forward to today, there are recordings of him talking ish, and doing backend deals to sign players.

I'm watching it tonight hopefully but yeah, that doesn't sound very far fetched at all.. No question West is a brilliant mind but there's endless stories out there about how he could also be an extremely angry/dark man at times during his playing days all the way to now. He was never the easiest person to work with which is why I always understood personally why he was not brought back to the Lakers because god only knows the massive fights that happened behind the scenes. That's not to say he wasn't the one in the right at times because I have no doubt he was but to act like he's a saint like some fans do is also very far from reality.
WC13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
WC13 wrote:
AD23 wrote:

I haven't heard the tapes. Where are they?

I heard one voicemail that is supposed to be him where he apparently calls the Lakers a (bleep) show.

But he wasn't ranting and raving like a mental patient.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:03 pm    Post subject:

I haven't Read Pearlman's "Showtime". I'm curious to read how Jerry West is portrayed in that book.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:30 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
I haven't Read Pearlman's "Showtime". I'm curious to read how Jerry West is portrayed in that book.

I have it was good and I would say some more of it is for dramatic effect. However the core sounds accurate to the book. I found out this morning I am getting free HBOMAX for the week. Will watch and provide update.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:44 am    Post subject:

West is a genius, but I have no doubts he's a tough SOB to work with.

It's known that he wanted Moncrief over Magic, and he had his run ins with Phil Jax during that three peat too. I can somewhat sympathize with Jeanie not being eager to bring him back into the fold, genius or not. But it's just a complicated ugly mess b/w West/Lakers. Unfortunate.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:52 am    Post subject:

great, now Jeannie Buss is going to use this show to court future free agents.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:18 am    Post subject:

After episode one I can see why Jeanie doesn't want West around. I think she has a personal dislike for him and isn't willing to separate personal feelings from business, but ohh well. Great first episode.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:12 am    Post subject:

yeah, i wonder how accurate Jerry's outbursts were. i have a feeling they were dramatized for the show, but perhaps not by much?

i can totally see West riding Buss about both jeanie's involvement with the team AND later, her involvement with phil jackson. especially phil. like, OH you are going to cr [AT] p on me and side with the coach because he's banging your daughter???

man, to be a fly on the wall in those days!

LakesGnrLake wrote:
After episode one I can see why Jeanie doesn't want West around. I think she has a personal dislike for him and isn't willing to separate personal feelings from business, but ohh well. Great first episode.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Personally I find it kinda entertaining. Some of the scenes are really corny, like the one-on-one game between Magic and Norm. They could have completely left that out. Jerry West's character is hilarious to me. This is nothing but a drama-comedy and it takes the characters and over-dramatizes them. I would hardly consider this an accurate account of the Showtime Lakers.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:01 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
Personally I find it kinda entertaining. Some of the scenes are really corny, like the one-on-one game between Magic and Norm. They could have completely left that out. Jerry West's character is hilarious to me. This is nothing but a drama-comedy and it takes the characters and over-dramatizes them. I would hardly consider this an accurate account of the Showtime Lakers.

You telling me Norm didn't school Magic at a party in reality
WC13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:10 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:

I agree. It's just a goof. As if The Office was about the Lakers.
WC13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject:

https://heavy.com/sports/los-angeles-lakers/jerry-west-rips-treating-piece-trash-nba-news-rumors/

Jerry West may or may not be "difficult", but he doesn't seem like a nut to me. Maybe he cares about what he does?

The whole world has been turned into a frickin Kardashian reality TV soap opera, whether it's basketball or politics.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Some of y’all are acting like this is a docuseries that’s supposed to be 100% historically accurate. It’s not. It’s a dramedy, and most of it is heavily fictionalized and only based relatively loosely on true events.

If you don’t go in with the expectation of watching a documentary about the Showtime Lakers, it’s highly entertaining.
WC13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:36 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
Some of y’all are acting like this is a docuseries that’s supposed to be 100% historically accurate. It’s not. It’s a dramedy, and most of it is heavily fictionalized and only based relatively loosely on true events.

If you don’t go in with the expectation of watching a documentary about the Showtime Lakers, it’s highly entertaining.

Yes, it's not at all reality.

People do that a lot with "documentaries" and "biographies"...

Trouble is, they are portraying real people, many that most people don't really know, and will think, oh, that person really is a jerk.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:44 pm    Post subject:

WC13 wrote:
AY2043 wrote:

Trouble is, they are portraying real people, many that most people don't really know, and will think, oh, that person really is a jerk.

Do I think West threw his MVP out of the window after they drafted Magic? No. Do I think that he is constantly haunted by losing all those series to the Celtics, yes. Part of the fun is watching it and trying to figure out what really happened and what was made for the show.
WC13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
WC13 wrote:
AY2043 wrote:

Do I think West threw his MVP out of the window after they drafted Magic? No. Do I think that he is constantly haunted by losing all those series to the Celtics, yes. Part of the fun is watching it and trying to figure out what really happened and what was made for the show.

To each their own.

I like Jerry West. He's a legend, one of the greatest Lakers of all time, and one of the greatest basketball players of all time.

Making a mockery of him for laughs doesn't seem very cool to me.

With a lot of these docuseries "comedies" and quasi-biographies with a bunch of made up stuff about real people (that many will believe is true), I don't really see the point.

Just my opinion.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:13 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
great, now Jeannie Buss is going to use this show to court future free agents.

It could have the opposite effect tbh
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:58 pm    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
kwase wrote:

You telling me Norm didn't school Magic at a party in reality

I just have a hard time believing that. Magic was playing pickup games with George Gervin when he was in high school. My money would be on Magic torching Norm one-on-one. But who knows.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:01 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Where's the gay/trans storyline in all this, or is the angle all toxic masculinity? HBO has standards to keep.

😄🤣😂

That's essentially all of Hollywood's current fad, not just HBO lol.

My gf's pet peeve about any new production.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Are you telling me there's an embellishment on West wanting Moncreif over Magic?

I think it's pretty accurate that West did NOT want Magic. It was Dr. Buss that saw the charisma and showmanship of Magic to sell tickets. West was looking at stats and need.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Oram: Why would Gary Vitti, the long-time Lakers trainer, walk away from at least $15,000 and a continued role in #WinningTime? It was in large part over the show’s “total mischaracterizarion” of Jerry West.

https://twitter.com/billoram/status/1501646060594343936

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 4 of 16
Jump to: