Lakers Showtime Series coming to HBO
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:07 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:00 am    Post subject:

Season 2 should have been Kobe and Shaq.
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:27 am    Post subject:

I was interested in the Kobe and Shaq arc, so I'm mildly disappointed. In the end, I think this was a foregone conclusion, considering the current state of Hollywood and the ongoing writer's strike. Executives aren't taking risks and want shows that will draw audiences. There was no viewership for this show, other than maybe hardcore laker fans, and I don't think it was even marketed the right way. The appeal just wasn't there to the casual audience. Looking at the ratings and viewership numbers, there are no name youtube channels that get more views.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:01 pm    Post subject:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/winning-time-season-3-would-have-focused-on-lakers-celtics-rematch-ep-says/ar-AA1gRw4e

Quote:
'Winning Time' Season 3 Would Have Focused on Lakers-Celtics Rematch, EP Says

Season 2 of "Winning Time" concluded Sunday evening with the Lakers' devastating loss to the Celtics during the 1984 NBA finals, and as it turns out the episode serves as the series finale for the HBO series -- the network announced Sunday night that it would not be moving forward with more seasons.

But that's not to say future seasons weren't already in mind for the show's creators.

"In real life, the Lakers come back and beat the Celtics the next year. So that would absolutely be at the heart of any Season 3," executive producer Kevin Messick told TheWrap during an interview conducted before the show's fate had been determined. "In terms of the longevity of the show, there's a lot more Laker stories to tell, a lot more characters, larger than life, as big and bigger than Magic [Johnson] and Kareem [Abdul-Jabbar] that have yet to enter onto the stage."

"Winning Time" draws from author and sports writer Jeff Pearlman's book "Showtime: Magic, Kareem, Riley, and the Los Angeles Lakers Dynasty of the 1980s," autobiographies from individuals portrayed in the show and print and video interviews. It also leverages actual footage from Lakers games.

"If the show is successful, we bought the rights to Jeff's books that keep chronicling the adventures," Messick added, stressing his hope at the time to keep the show running for many years to come. "We'll keep creating great seasons, hopefully that allow us to come back and fight another day, but we're gonna take it one season at a time."

Pearlman previously issued a plea on social media calling on audiences to help the HBO drama get renewed for a third season.

"I'm telling you -- the future of 'Winning Time' hangs in the balance. We need viewers. The strikes are crippling. Please help spread the word. Season 2 is amazing. But ... HBO is big on #s," he wrote on X. "And, to be blunt, I'm worried there won't be a season three. And it's not about me. I'm fine. It's about a cast of amazing young actors who live this. So, seriously, tell your friends to support "Winning Time" and show @hbo you want it to continue. Peace. #winningtime."

"Winning Time" stars Quincy Isaiah, Adrien Brody, John C. Reilly, Jason Clarke, Gaby Hoffmann, Jason Segel, Hadley Robinson, Sean Patrick Small, DeVaughn Nixon, Solomon Hughes, Tamera Tomakili, Brett Cullen, Stephen Adly Guirgis, Spencer Garrett, Molly Gordon, Joey Brooks, Delante Desouza, Jimel Atkins, Austin Aaron, McCabe Slye, Thomas Mann, Gillian Jacobs, with Michael Chiklis and Rob Morgan.

In addition to Messick, the series is executive produced by Adam McKay, showrunner, writer, and co-creator Max Borenstein, writer and co-creator Jim Hecht, director Salli Richardson-Whitfield, writer Rodney Barnes, Scott Stephens and Jason Shuman.
KOBE WAN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:45 am    Post subject:

Maybe Netflix can continue it?
Shalashaska
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:11 pm    Post subject:

Loved it and very sad to see it go. Having heard the re-telling of the Showtime era many times (but not being old enough to having witnessed it), this really brought that time period to life and was a visual marvel. Great casting, especially Magic, Kareem, Riley, Bird and Cooper (and many others).

Painful way to end with the devastating '84 loss to Boston. Always knew that series was close and Games 2 and 4 were absolute meltdowns by LA, but damn - seeing it dramatized, just hits home how badly they let that title slip away. I'm sure for folks who lived through that one it probably ripped open some old wounds.
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:39 am    Post subject:

And the Celts had to win in the end, wtf.

EDIT: It's about the Purple and Gold and the green (bleep) taking the limelight of our show by ending it in 1984 -- There should have been a episode 9 and 10 to cover our revenge.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:43 am    Post subject:

https://www.the-sun.com/sport/10292669/winning-time-kobe-bryant-shaquille-oneal-nba-feud-lakers/

Quote:
Winning Time executive producer and writer Rodney Barnes told The U.S. Sun that he is working on a project that would "celebrate Kobe's legacy" and show "the drama" on and off the court.

Barnes said that despite HBO canceling Winning Time, the show’s future is already being planned around the Shaq–Kobe feud, which unfolded as the pair played for the Lakers from 1996 to 2004.

Barnes holds out hopes for Winning Time to find a new network or streamer for a third series.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:11 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
https://www.the-sun.com/sport/10292669/winning-time-kobe-bryant-shaquille-oneal-nba-feud-lakers/

Quote:
Winning Time executive producer and writer Rodney Barnes told The U.S. Sun that he is working on a project that would "celebrate Kobe's legacy" and show "the drama" on and off the court.

Barnes said that despite HBO canceling Winning Time, the show’s future is already being planned around the Shaq–Kobe feud, which unfolded as the pair played for the Lakers from 1996 to 2004.

Barnes holds out hopes for Winning Time to find a new network or streamer for a third series.

All this tells me is that Magic made some calls to get this off the air
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:23 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:

Quote:

‘96-‘04 period gonna be so 🔥
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:03 pm    Post subject:

A Kobe/Shaq era series would be interesting.

Although not everyone loved it, I liked Winning Time. I thought it got better as it went.
KOBE WAN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Yes it got less comical and more dramatic at the end. Very well written and portrayed. Please Netflix pick it up!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Page 16 of 16
Jump to: