Official ANTHONY DAVIS Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1421, 1422, 1423 ... 1431, 1432, 1433  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:15 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Kareem weighed 225.

AD weighs 253

Kareem held his own with or outplayed Wilt, Bob Lanier, Wes Unseld, Moses Malone, Nate Thurmond, Artis Gilmore, Bill Walton, Walt Bellamy, Robert Parish.

Pretty much any Hall of Fame center including those who outweighed him.

Maybe Moses gave him the worst time, but there was no zero and 10 record against Moses. Kareem beat him head to head.

Kareem destroyed Mark Eaton who was larger than him and one of those big bulky types.

So I really don't want to hear this finesse argument.

AD should take up martial arts and stop whining about that.

Like physical receivers Sabonis attacked the ball. AD didn’t, doesn’t consistently.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:22 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Kareem weighed 225.

AD weighs 253

Kareem held his own with or outplayed Wilt, Bob Lanier, Wes Unseld, Moses Malone, Nate Thurmond, Artis Gilmore, Bill Walton, Walt Bellamy, Robert Parish.

Maybe Moses gave him the worst time, but there was no zero and 10 record against Moses. Kareem beat him head to head.

Kareem destroyed Mark Eaton who was larger than him and one of those big bulky types.

The whole canard about AD needing another Center is just an excuse that pops up when he doesn’t deliver.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:23 am    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
https://tenor.com/view/soft-kobe-bryant-head-shake-gif-16055804

Everyone knows he’s a finesse big. But people keep forcing him to be some big body bruising big.

Another player being mishandled nit being properly used.

And that is because of a poorly constructed roster
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:49 am    Post subject:

Kareem also destroyed Ralph Sampson and Hakeem Olajuwon in head to head something like 20-5

Although we did get beat badly in the WCF that one year.

Kareem was like 38 when that happened though
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:11 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:

Everyone knows he’s a finesse big. But people keep forcing him to be some big body bruising big.

I disagree with this sentiment. The roster...while not perfect...is not poorly constructed. The Lakers defensive inadequacies are mostly a result of mostly all of their best POA defenders being injured (Vando, Vincent, Reddish), and Max only getting very limited minutes.

As for AD, there's a reason he's being played at the 5 spot. And, that's because LeBron occupies the 4 spot, that AD is more comfortable with. LeBron cannot play the 3, consistently, over the course of the season. His already bad defense would only get further exacerbated. That's why he plays the 4, so he can "roam". Because of this, by necessity, AD has to play the 5. While LeBron and AD are paired, that's just the way it is.

Sucks, but...
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:17 am    Post subject:

sonic the laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:

I disagree with this sentiment. The roster...while not perfect...is not poorly constructed. The Lakers defensive inadequacies are mostly a result of mostly all of their best POA defenders being injured (Vando, Vincent, Reddish), and Max only getting very limited minutes.

As for AD, there's a reason he's being played at the 5 spot. And, that's because LeBron occupies the 4 spot, that AD is more comfortable with. LeBron cannot play the 3, consistently, over the course of the season. His already bad defense would only get further exacerbated. That's why he plays the 4, so he can "roam". Because of this, by necessity, AD has to play the 5. While LeBron and AD are paired, that's just the way it is.

Sucks, but...

Those guys being healthy would likely improve the defense but the offense would suffer. Not one of them is a two-way player, there really is only a couple on the roster. That is where roster construction failed, too many one trick ponies.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:22 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Kareem weighed 225.

AD weighs 253

The whole canard about AD needing another Center is just an excuse that pops up when he doesn’t deliver.

Fair. That being said, you can't tell me that if we had a Valančiūnas or Poeltl that Jokic and Sabonis would be thriving the way they are now. It's not just the fact that they're big, but that they can play off their skill guards. AD is often covering for the guard penetrating or the center two-man game with the guard. That leaves LeBron or Rui on the backline, and they're just not tall or explosive enough to contest those baby hooks.

If you had a dude like Nurkic parked in there, no matter how limited he is in other departments, AD could play as the backline defender or show high on the guards to give enough time for our perimeter defense to reform. It wouldn't be our only look, but it's a look we've been lacking since 2021. And frankly that's criminal.

Hell, it doesn't even take a bruising big. We just need one more not lanky center. Do you remember what Memphis would do to us in non-AD minutes? And that was without Steven Adams.

I disagree with the "AD is a 4 crowd". But it's also clear as day that this roster needs another center, and it's definitely not in the Jaxson Hayes or Christian Wood mould who both lack in defensive instincts, wisdom, and heft.

I was a big fan of trying for Poeltl this deadline, but we don't seem to want to want to add good two-way players to our rotation.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:25 am    Post subject:

levon wrote:
ocho wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Kareem weighed 225.

AD weighs 253

Fair. That being said, you can't tell me that if we had a Valančiūnas or Poeltl that Jokic and Sabonis would be thriving the way they are now. It's not just the fact that they're big, but that they can play off their skill guards. AD is often covering for the guard penetrating or the center two-man game with the guard. That leaves LeBron or Rui on the backline, and they're just not tall or explosive enough to contest those baby hooks.

If you had a dude like Nurkic parked in there, no matter how limited he is in other departments, AD could play as the backline defender or show high on the guards to give enough time for our perimeter defense to reform. It wouldn't be our only look, but it's a look we've been lacking since 2021. And frankly that's criminal.

Hell, it doesn't even take a bruising big. We just need one more not lanky center. Do you remember what Memphis would do to us in non-AD minutes? And that was without Steven Adams.

I disagree with the "AD is a 4 crowd". But it's also clear as day that this roster needs another center, and it's definitely not in the Jaxson Hayes or Christian Wood mould who both lack in defensive instincts, wisdom, and heft.

I was a big fan of trying for Poeltl this deadline, but we don't seem to want to want to add good two-way players to our rotation.

Of course. I’d love to have all types of players. The more arrows in your quiver the better. I’m just aware that AD is the only big man in the league that maintains that he needs a bigger body next to him in order to thrive. It’s a mindset that doesn’t serve him or the team well, even though for the most part he has been a good soldier about it. He shouldn’t need a 7 footer to handle Sabonis. AD is bigger than Sabonis who himself isn’t playing with anyone bigger than 6’8 next to him. AD just comes up short time and again against the elite bigs in the league.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:33 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
levon wrote:
ocho wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Kareem weighed 225.

AD weighs 253

Of course. I’d love to have all types of players. The more arrows in your quiver the better. I’m just aware that AD is the only big man in the league that maintains that he needs a bigger body next to him in order to thrive. It’s a mindset that doesn’t serve him or the team well, even though for the most part he has been a good soldier about it. He shouldn’t need a 7 footer to handle Sabonis. AD is bigger than Sabonis who himself isn’t playing with anyone bigger than 6’8 next to him. AD just comes up short time and again against the elite bigs in the league.

Is that really true though? AD plays well against Giannis and Brook, Gobert and KAT, Draymond, JJJ, Bam more often than not, etc. He doesn't play well against a certain archetype of big, in part because of his own limitations but also because the perimeter defense is always breached. The 2020 team used to run the big bigs off the floor.

I don't think having a net neutral backup big is another arrow. I think it's closer to the quiver. It holds so much together. If you told me a team with playoff aspirations has Rui or LeBron as the backup big I'd ask, are they dealing with serious injuries?

I had the same criticism last year when they traded Pat Bev for Bamba instead of trading Lonnie for Plumlee.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:18 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
ocho wrote:
levon wrote:
ocho wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Kareem weighed 225.

AD weighs 253

Is that really true though? AD plays well against Giannis and Brook, Gobert and KAT, Draymond, JJJ, Bam more often than not, etc. He doesn't play well against a certain archetype of big, in part because of his own limitations but also because the perimeter defense is always breached. The 2020 team used to run the big bigs off the floor.

I don't think having a net neutral backup big is another arrow. I think it's closer to the quiver. It holds so much together. If you told me a team with playoff aspirations has Rui or LeBron as the backup big I'd ask, are they dealing with serious injuries?

I had the same criticism last year when they traded Pat Bev for Bamba instead of trading Lonnie for Plumlee.

I would question the “elite” status of some of the names on your list. Most of those guys aren’t capable of putting up big scoring performances and most of those guys don’t play with another bruiser either. KAT and Gobert didn’t until last year. AD has two backup Centers to play with even if one is hurt now. I’m with you on having better roster construction but given our cap situation with two $50M guys if we plug one hole it will create another. Typically each summer we are working with vet mins and maybe a BAE or MLE. We spent our MLE trying to help the porous perimeter D. Shopping for vet min bigs gets you Hayes and Wood. We are still suffering the consequences of the catastrophic summer of 21. I’m not suggesting our problems are all on AD. There is plenty of blame pie to go around. I’m just tired of the excuses for him when he gets punked again.
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:47 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
sonic the laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:

Sucks, but...

Those guys being healthy would likely improve the defense but the offense would suffer. Not one of them is a two-way player, there really is only a couple on the roster. That is where roster construction failed, too many one trick ponies.

Fair enough. There may be some truth in that observation. Though, without seeing how having those players on the floor would have actually affected our play, all we have is conjecture.

An equally viable conjecture would be that having those defensive players would have broadened Ham's optionality, to configure more balanced lineups. Unfortunately, with those named players being out the majority of the season, we'll never know.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Just put him back in PF and see what happens.

What is there to lose?
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:36 pm    Post subject:

West Rankings:
1. Nuggets - Jokic Owns him
2. Thunder - He owns Rookie Chet
3.Timberwolves - KAT/ Gober >> AD
4. Clippers - Zubac Owns him or is as equivalent as AD
5. Pelicans - Maybe he owns Valcunous
6. Kings - Sabonis - enough said
7. Suns - Nurkic owns him - 20/20 last game
8. Mavs - He owns another rookie Lively
9. Lakers
10. Warriors - Draymond...enough said

good luck to this softie
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:36 am    Post subject:

How does AD go back to the locker room and try to lead after getting punked like that? He can’t really try to act tough in practice and be vocal when all this sabonis stuff is all over the media. Then shows up, gets smacked, doesn’t really respond, downplays and credits sabonis after game. Just really soft. I wish bron’s personality was a little bit more like Kobe. Kobe would have tore into his a$$ already. He would have done it in the game in front of everyone. I think AD needs that actually. Probably what rondo did to make him aggressive.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:03 am    Post subject:

textbook wrote:
How does AD go back to the locker room and try to lead after getting punked like that? He can’t really try to act tough in practice and be vocal when all this sabonis stuff is all over the media. Then shows up, gets smacked, doesn’t really respond, downplays and credits sabonis after game. Just really soft. I wish bron’s personality was a little bit more like Kobe. Kobe would have tore into his a$$ already. He would have done it in the game in front of everyone. I think AD needs that actually. Probably what rondo did to make him aggressive.

what rondo did was allow AD to just play and not worry about needing to be a leader. get numbers and thats it. We have no leaders. Its been apparent pre-bubble. And every year after bubble. This team easily quits on coaches knowing they are expendable.
ingle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:08 am    Post subject:

AD is what he is, he's immensely physically gifted but he's also a pu$$y. There's a reason he's the butt of jokes for the likes of Barkley and Shaq. Real competitors find it hard to comprehend how he can be the way that he is. I doubt he loves basketball he's just too big and talented to not play it for a living.

He's still a hall of famer being the way he is, but if he had it upstairs he'd be one of the great ones.

Last edited by ingle on Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:18 am; edited 2 times in total
ingle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:12 am    Post subject:

textbook wrote:

Kobe was how he was because he was Kobe, Lebron was always bigger and more gifted than everyone else around him so I really don't think he comprehends how you can overcome things through gaining small mental edges. It's always just a shoulder to the chest followed by a dunk.

It explains how Lebron's solution to all basketball related problems are to stack his teams, he wins by overwhelming you with raw firepower.
ingle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:15 am    Post subject:

Bron2AD wrote:
West Rankings:
2. Thunder - He owns Rookie Chet
8. Mavs - He owns another rookie Lively
9. Lakers

good luck to this softie

Sad part is AD is easily the most talented player there, if he'd only untuck his manparts
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:25 am    Post subject:

ingle wrote:
textbook wrote:

Kobe was how he was because he was Kobe, Lebron was always bigger and more gifted than everyone else around him so I really don't think he comprehends how you can overcome things through gaining small mental edges. It's always just a shoulder to the chest followed by a dunk.

It explains how Lebron's solution to all basketball related problems are to stack his teams, he wins by overwhelming you with raw firepower.

*chef's kiss*

AD is probably as gifted as Duncan (and better physically), but Duncan was a dog, just a quiet one. I'd imagine if AD had that we'd be barking at the top easily this year.
ingle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:43 am    Post subject:

Sojo wrote:
ingle wrote:
textbook wrote:

*chef's kiss*

AD is probably as gifted as Duncan (and better physically), but Duncan was a dog, just a quiet one. I'd imagine if AD had that we'd be barking at the top easily this year.

Duncan didn't overwhelm you with physical gifts but he was just such a solid and intelligent player that in a way beat you with consistency and persistence.

It's the same way the Kobe and Pau title teams are my favorite Laker teams of all time (I'm too young to have watched showtime). The current team is arguably more talented but could you see them winning that game 7 against Boston? I am extremely doubtful of it. Garnett would probably have Davis crying in the locker room and Lebron would quit and go into gotta get my numbers mode when he sensed Davis wasn't coming back.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:25 am    Post subject:

ingle wrote:
Sojo wrote:
ingle wrote:
textbook wrote:

*chef's kiss*

Duncan didn't overwhelm you with physical gifts but he was just such a solid and intelligent player that in a way beat you with consistency and persistence.

It's the same way the Kobe and Pau title teams are my favorite Laker teams of all time (I'm too young to have watched showtime). The current team is arguably more talented but could you see them winning that game 7 against Boston? I am extremely doubtful of it. Garnett would probably have Davis crying in the locker room and Lebron would quit and go into gotta get my numbers mode when he sensed Davis wasn't coming back.

Truth. Lebron is one of the guys and leads by just being an amazing player and having people follow him. He is too passive aggressive to be true leader. Kobe was brutal to a fault but he demanded out of everywhere what he demanded from himself. At the same time we had Fisher that played the good cop role. So back then we had two leaders actually, this team, I can't point to anyone on this team and say, this is the guy who is the commander on this team.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:20 am    Post subject:

Let's break that down:

Bron2AD wrote:

AD: 25.1 points, 8.7 rebounds, 2.6 assists in 23 games
Jokic: 20.0 points, 10.0 rebounds and 5.8 assists in 23 games

He's a tough matchup for AD at center due to his size. Jokic has an inch and over 30 lbs on him. Jokic has dominated the recent match up. Lakers really need to get a big center for that matchup.

Quote:

The Lakers beat them in the playin last year. The combination of the two is a lot of size. But individually:

AD vs. KAT: 30.3 points, 9.7 rebounds and 2.4 assists in 18 games
AD vs. Gobert: 27.2 points, 10.0 rebounds and 2.9 blocks in 20 games
KAT vs. AD: 21.4 points, 10.7 rebounds and 2.7 assists in 18 games
Gobert vs. AD: 13.4 points, 13.3 rebounds and 2.1 blocks in 20 games

Quote:

AD vs Zu: 25.3 points, 9.3 rebounds and 2.6 assists in 15 games
Zu vs AD: 10.3 points, 7.8 rebounds and 1.1 blocks in 15 games

Quote:

AD vs. Valunciunas: 22.2 points, 10.9 rebounds and 3.0 assists in 22 games
Valunciunas vs. AD: 13.2 points, 9.9 rebounds and 1.9 assists in 22 games

Quote:

Sabonis uses his strength well against AD. He's dominated him this season. That having been said:

AD vs. Sabonis: 23.1 points, 10.8 rebounds and 2.3 assists in 10 games
Sabonis vs. AD: 13.3 points, 10.6 rebounds and 4.5 assists in 10 games

Quote:

AD vs. Nurkic: 23.9 points, 10.5 rebounds and 2.8 blocks in 21 games
Nurkic vs. AD: 11.7 points, 10.4 rebounds and 2.6 assists in 21 games

Complete ownage according to Bron2AD.

Quote:

Draymond who they beat in a series last year...

AD vs. Draymond: 25.0 points, 12.3 rebounds and 2.6 assists in 28 games
Draymond vs. AD: 9.3 points, 7.8 rebounds and 5.6 assists in 28 games

I think we all understand that AD is not a big center. He is a power forward. He prefers to play at power forward. He has a size advantage at power forward, and it keeps him off bigger bodies that can bully him. However, Lebron is also best at power forward, and that pushes AD to center. That's not an ideal situation for him. But he more than holds his own. He can't stop Jokic. If they let Sabonis bully him the way they did in the last game, he'll get the better of him, he's too strong for him. But even in those match ups, he can make them work on the other end. He can play defense better than any of those guys.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:46 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Let's break that down:

Bron2AD wrote:

AD: 25.1 points, 8.7 rebounds, 2.6 assists in 23 games
Jokic: 20.0 points, 10.0 rebounds and 5.8 assists in 23 games

He's a tough matchup for AD at center due to his size. Jokic has an inch and over 30 lbs on him. Jokic has dominated the recent match up. Lakers really need to get a big center for that matchup.

Quote:

The Lakers beat them in the playin last year. The combination of the two is a lot of size. But individually:

AD vs. KAT: 30.3 points, 9.7 rebounds and 2.4 assists in 18 games
AD vs. Gobert: 27.2 points, 10.0 rebounds and 2.9 blocks in 20 games
KAT vs. AD: 21.4 points, 10.7 rebounds and 2.7 assists in 18 games
Gobert vs. AD: 13.4 points, 13.3 rebounds and 2.1 blocks in 20 games

Quote:

AD vs Zu: 25.3 points, 9.3 rebounds and 2.6 assists in 15 games
Zu vs AD: 10.3 points, 7.8 rebounds and 1.1 blocks in 15 games

Quote:

AD vs. Valunciunas: 22.2 points, 10.9 rebounds and 3.0 assists in 22 games
Valunciunas vs. AD: 13.2 points, 9.9 rebounds and 1.9 assists in 22 games

Quote:

Sabonis uses his strength well against AD. He's dominated him this season. That having been said:

AD vs. Sabonis: 23.1 points, 10.8 rebounds and 2.3 assists in 10 games
Sabonis vs. AD: 13.3 points, 10.6 rebounds and 4.5 assists in 10 games

Quote:

AD vs. Nurkic: 23.9 points, 10.5 rebounds and 2.8 blocks in 21 games
Nurkic vs. AD: 11.7 points, 10.4 rebounds and 2.6 assists in 21 games

Complete ownage according to Bron2AD.

Quote:

Draymond who they beat in a series last year...

AD vs. Draymond: 25.0 points, 12.3 rebounds and 2.6 assists in 28 games
Draymond vs. AD: 9.3 points, 7.8 rebounds and 5.6 assists in 28 games

I think we all understand that AD is not a big center. He is a power forward. He prefers to play at power forward. He has a size advantage at power forward, and it keeps him off bigger bodies that can bully him. However, Lebron is also best at power forward, and that pushes AD to center. That's not an ideal situation for him. But he more than holds his own. He can't stop Jokic. If they let Sabonis bully him the way they did in the last game, he'll get the better of him, he's too strong for him. But even in those match ups, he can make them work on the other end. He can play defense better than any of those guys.

stats mean (bleep)...watch the game...specially the last one against Nurkic and the other one with Zubac

as soon as a center becomes physical with AD, he just bends down with no retaliation
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:45 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Kareem also destroyed Ralph Sampson and Hakeem Olajuwon in head to head something like 20-5

Although we did get beat badly in the WCF that one year.

Kareem was like 38 when that happened though

Umm .. Kareem of the 80's was consistently critiqued by fans for "not rebounding enough" especially against the likes of Moses Malone. His post-career Laker legend dims people's memory of how much criticism he faced when going up against physical centers like Malone. This is why the FO constantly tried to pair him with physical defense-first 4's like Green/Thompson/Kupchak/Rambis/Lucas.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Sojo wrote:

<snip>

*chef's kiss*

On defense, yes. On offense AD can't hold TD's jock-strap, TD was truly special, "Top 10 all-time offensive big" level talent.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1421, 1422, 1423 ... 1431, 1432, 1433  Next
Page 1422 of 1433
Jump to: