Official ANTHONY DAVIS Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1108, 1109, 1110 ... 1432, 1433, 1434  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject:

methdxman wrote:
AD is not "that guy".

Compare him to previous Lakers players who got max contracts. He's nowhere near their levels.

I honestly would even take prime Pau over our current 27 year old AD.

Guy won his bubble ring. Signed his max deal. And he was content with that. Some guys aren’t all wired like Jordan, Kobe, Bird or Magic. That’s fine.

Key is to realize it and trade him because he’s not a guy you can build a team around.
ZeroDark30_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Anthony Davis tricked the Lakers. Only gave one great season. Now nothing but regression
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject:

AD put up good numbers, but he's not making the key plays. Magic Johnson used to call it winning time, that certain time in the game where you play your best and put the team away. Kobe understood this. For some reason, Lebron and AD don't understand "winning time". I can attribute age to Lebron's ineffectiveness, but I still don't get what's slowing AD. I guess he's saving it for the post season.
ZeroDark30_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
AD put up good numbers, but he's not making the key plays. Magic Johnson used to call it winning time, that certain time in the game where you play your best and put the team away. Kobe understood this. For some reason, Lebron and AD don't understand "winning time". I can attribute age to Lebron's ineffectiveness, but I still don't get what's slowing AD. I guess he's saving it for the post season.

Kobe understood this but not LeBron? LeBron is one of the best players in clutch time ever, and still very effective even now. AD and him don’t belong in the same sentence when talking about winning time.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:27 pm    Post subject:

AD has been labelled injury-prone and I think that's a major reason he chooses not to play too aggressively so he doesn't aggravate his injuries.
RestEasyBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject:

I’d take prime Pau over him at this moment. This is the year he should be taking the mantle from LBJ.
D-Shiznit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:37 pm    Post subject:

We will have to end up trading AD sooner or later. He's not the guy.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Despite what the box scores say, AD plays like he is 35+ years old too.

Shows up for a game here or there, but otherwise he’s playing old too. 28 year old AD shows up once in a while with true impact.

Live game vs. box scores. Discrepancy in most of these for AD.
windycitycane
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject:

lakers4life78 wrote:
methdxman wrote:
AD is not "that guy".

Compare him to previous Lakers players who got max contracts. He's nowhere near their levels.

Guy won his bubble ring. Signed his max deal. And he was content with that. Some guys aren’t all wired like Jordan, Kobe, Bird or Magic. That’s fine.

Key is to realize it and trade him because he’s not a guy you can build a team around.

This. Spot on. Kobe, Magic, Jordan, LeBron - all rare not only as talents, but their relentless pursuit of being the best. AD just doesn't have it.
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject:

I m not sure if i can trust AD as a 2nd star even if we had prime Lebron. I ll take Wade 2012 or Kyrie 2016 over him easily.

Sooner or later we gotta trade AD. Post LeBron(2023) we need to go for rebuild and not reload with AD.
ZeroDark30_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:54 pm    Post subject:

I agree with what other people are saying. This is now two off seasons in a row AD mailed in. It’s clear he has not come into camp in proper shape. Putting on muscle doesn’t mean you’re in shape. His biggest problem is his mentality. It’s broken. He’s too afraid of injury. I don’t know how he overcomes that
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:22 am    Post subject:

windycitycane wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:
methdxman wrote:
AD is not "that guy".

This. Spot on. Kobe, Magic, Jordan, LeBron - all rare not only as talents, but their relentless pursuit of being the best. AD just doesn't have it.

KG didn’t have and Tim didn’t have it either. Tim never came in as hungry after he won the title which is why he couldn’t defend it but people never held that and taking games off for rest against him
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:39 am    Post subject:

I saw long time ago that there is no fire in him. He is just not interested to be the best. Its a fact. Like many guys out there would give everything to have skills of AD but he has it and he is just not interested to use it.
He is just not the player who want to be the best. He likes to show himself from time to time but on consistent basis he is just lazy and not interested. It his main problem. And this came to surface even more after winning the chip. He is now like a 39 years old player who won one chip and want to retire. Honestly its really hard for me to see him as future Laker leader. I would rather have someone younger and try to build around that guy. For example Ja Morant or Trae Young.
BotPoster24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:20 am    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:
I saw long time ago that there is no fire in him. He is just not interested to be the best. Its a fact. Like many guys out there would give everything to have skills of AD but he has it and he is just not interested to use it.
He is just not the player who want to be the best. He likes to show himself from time to time but on consistent basis he is just lazy and not interested. It his main problem. And this came to surface even more after winning the chip. He is now like a 39 years old player who won one chip and want to retire. Honestly its really hard for me to see him as future Laker leader. I would rather have someone younger and try to build around that guy. For example Ja Morant or Trae Young.

I've always felt this is who AD was and expecting him to be a franchise carrier was setting ourselves up for times like now. The issue we have is most players are not that level of player but media hype builds them to that in a lot of peoples eyes. We'd eventually get tired of Ja and Trae too, with the records teams around them would bring.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:49 am    Post subject:

Inside the NBA
ZeroDark30_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:54 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Charles Barkley on Anthony Davis

That’s sad. He’s 28, in his physical prime and we need him to play at 50% during the season to avoid injury. Just for him to possibly still get hurt in the postseason despite all the precautions. He came with the same mindset last year and he sustained three injuries
D-Shiznit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:40 am    Post subject:

Who can we realistically even trade him for?

Would MIN trade KAT + change for him?

KAT is a major liability defensively, but he's a way better offensive player than AD at this point.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject:

An engaged AD is absolutely the best player for the Lakers. However, it's clear that he's not engaged, and it's starting to show up on the radar around the NBA (as is evident of Barkley's recent comments). Either one of two things is happening to AD. One, he's adopted Lebron's "coasting" mindset, and is saving his body for late season/post season. Or two, he's not happy with something in the Lakers system, could be a teammate, Vogel, or his role. Whichever it is, it's clear that AD, although a competent player, is not the right player for the Lakers.

So. Why not trade him for Ben Simmons? Move the 6ft 10, 240 pound Simmons to the 4 (where he belongs) and let Westbrook keep point. A young and healthy Simmons, playing the Draymond Green role, at the power forward takes the scoring need off the plate for him, and lets him exploit his size, quickness, and defensive prowess. Start Dwight at the 5. Put Nunn or Monk at the 2. We get youth, length, HEALTH, a badly needed wing defender, and someone else that can initiate the offense, if need be. Let Nunn, RW and Lebron, along with a better flowing offensive system handle the scoring. We'd have a big, athletic and capable defensive front court, and sufficient scoring at all positions, and we'd have a good defensive starting and bench team.

RW/Bradley
Nunn/Monk/Reaves
Lebron/THT/Ariza
Simmons/Melo
Dwight/DJ
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:14 am    Post subject:

AD >>>>>>> Ben Simmons.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
An engaged AD is absolutely the best player for the Lakers. However, it's clear that he's not engaged, and it's starting to show up on the radar around the NBA (as is evident of Barkley's recent comments). Either one of two things is happening to AD. One, he's adopted Lebron's "coasting" mindset, and is saving his body for late season/post season. Or two, he's not happy with something in the Lakers system, could be a teammate, Vogel, or his role. Whichever it is, it's clear that AD, although a competent player, is not the right player for the Lakers.

So. Why not trade him for Ben Simmons? Move the 6ft 10, 240 pound Simmons to the 4 (where he belongs) and let Westbrook keep point. A young and healthy Simmons, playing the Draymond Green role, at the power forward takes the scoring need off the plate for him, and lets him exploit his size, quickness, and defensive prowess. Start Dwight at the 5. Put Nunn or Monk at the 2. We get youth, length, HEALTH, a badly needed wing defender, and someone else that can initiate the offense, if need be. Let Nunn, RW and Lebron, along with a better flowing offensive system handle the scoring. We'd have a big, athletic and capable defensive front court, and sufficient scoring at all positions, and we'd have a good defensive starting and bench team.

RW/Bradley
Nunn/Monk/Reaves
Lebron/THT/Ariza
Simmons/Melo
Dwight/DJ

Spacing is horrible. Also…embiid and AD is scary af

troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
AD >>>>>>> Ben Simmons.

Better player vs better FIT. Two different things.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:19 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
troy wrote:

RW/Bradley
Nunn/Monk/Reaves
Lebron/THT/Ariza
Simmons/Melo
Dwight/DJ

Spacing is horrible. Also…embiid and AD is scary af

Which is why the Sixers do this, and maybe even sweeten the pot for us. Lets get this done Rob!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject:

I think how we played the first quarter, that shows how good the team can be with AD/Bron, if we can sustain some players around them. While AD has declined from the peak of 2019-20, I do believe he's one of the best players in the NBA in value. There's just so many things he does for a team. Rim protection, rebounds, sets screens, rolling threat, post up threat defensive versatility.

The thing is what we're not getting from his is two things

1) When we bleed, he doesn't take over. We want that alpha when Bron sits and AD is never that guy (or rarely).
2) When we play him at 5, he often gets exposed for his lack of true strength. Adams was really physical with him in the 2nd Q. You could see it, AD didn't get those boards and those 50-50 battles.

I don't know what the solution is, but trading AD doesn't make sense. To me it makes sense to have a look at the way they played the 1st and 3rd Qs. And find ways to get a rotation of 9 players that can keep playing that way around AD/Bron. The issue is not just that AD isn't being an alpha or a physical 5. It's that + we don't have players around AD/Bron who compliment them on defense/offense. We're a team of 3 good to very good players, and a lot of 1-way guys, below average players. Worst, I think Frank is going to get replaced by a far worse coach like Fizdale due to it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
D-Shiznit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject:

I'd be open to a Ben for AD swap.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject:

Like honest look at supporting cast

Melo (Backup from Portland, good sniper, 1-way guy)
Dwight (Backup from Philly)
Bradley (Cut from the Warriors)
Monk (Let go by Charlotte, even though he was their lotto pick)
THT (Paid on potential, a 2nd round development pick)
Ellington (Average level sniper from a lotto Detroit team)
Rondo (Got cut by the Grizz)

You just don't have those 2-way guys this year. Like a guy that can do some 3 point shooting, a little creating, but then also defend his ass off. A KCP, Caruso, Kuzma etc. All those defensive energy guys all gone. We're just not a team that has enough defensive players that can make shots on offense. So Frank's relying on either players on offense like Melo/Monk who hurt the defensive identity or players on defense like Bradley/Dwight who hurt the offense spacing/identity.

Sure if AD stepped up and played like a MVP it would be great. It would also hide some of the issues with the flawed supporting cast. Rob needs to make moves, been saying it for a few weeks now.

It's not going to improve consistently until we add some 2-way guys who can play core minutes around AD/Bron.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1108, 1109, 1110 ... 1432, 1433, 1434  Next
Page 1109 of 1434
Jump to: