The RAMBII (Oram: Kurt Rambis could be next Lakers’ President of Basketball Operation?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:18 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Kurt failed miserably as a coach. He has never really accomplished anything in his life

I'm willing to bet that the four time NBA champion has accomplished much more in his life, than you have in yours...

Bingo. I'm not thrilled with the guy, either, but he had a 13 year NBA playing career - half of it as a non-Laker - and made millions of dollars. He accomplished more by age 35 than 99% of the people on Earth do in a lifetime.

Being tall isn't an accomplishment.
kentu_tiro
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject:

I mean Rambis can't really control the ^%@*&^@ offense we run or how mentally the players are prepared before games. So after not trading this past deadline, I think the next real move is to fire the coaching staff to see if that lights a fire under the players.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject:

kentu_tiro wrote:
I mean Rambis can't really control the ^%@*&^@ offense we run or how mentally the players are prepared before games. So after not trading this past deadline, I think the next real move is to fire the coaching staff to see if that lights a fire under the players.

There isn't a credible replacement waiting in the wings. I guess we could promote Coby Karl from the G League. That would be sort of surreal. I mean, he is technically an ex-Laker.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:12 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Kurt failed miserably as a coach. He has never really accomplished anything in his life

I'm willing to bet that the four time NBA champion has accomplished much more in his life, than you have in yours...

Kurt was a glorified role player in the 80s, famously known NOT for his game, but his willingness to mix it up with opponents. as a coach, he initially failed with the Lakers pre-shaq and kobe, and then he was just a phil jackson clipboard holder, he rode Phil's name to the Twolves and Knicks coaching job which he also flamed out badly.

Yeah I have doubts Kurt would even make an NBA roster today. Maybe he'd be the 15th man. He was a terrible head coach, 65 wins 164 losses, and he's going to make decisions on the coach based on his knowledge of coaching?

Last edited by ducasse on Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:16 am; edited 2 times in total
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kentu_tiro wrote:

There isn't a credible replacement waiting in the wings. I guess we could promote Coby Karl from the G League. That would be sort of surreal. I mean, he is technically an ex-Laker.

Coby Karl isn't part of the South Bay Lakers anymore
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:39 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kentu_tiro wrote:

Coby Karl isn't part of the South Bay Lakers anymore

Okay. Miles Simon, then. He could hire Luke as an assistant coach.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject:

he should be fired before the coaching staff
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Kurt was a glorified role player in the 80s, famously known NOT for his game, but his willingness to mix it up with opponents. as a coach, he initially failed with the Lakers pre-shaq and kobe, and then he was just a phil jackson clipboard holder, he rode Phil's name to the Twolves and Knicks coaching job which he also flamed out badly.

Yeah I have doubts Kurt would even make an NBA roster today. Maybe he'd be the 15th man. He was a terrible head coach, 65 wins 164 losses, and he's going to make decisions on the coach based on his knowledge of coaching?

I'll make this point one more time, then give it a rest for now. What you're really complaining about is that Jeanie won't hire a qualified basketball person to oversee the team. She is only going to hire people she trusts, and she trusts Linda and Kurt Rambis. This is also why she turned to Magic and Kobe (who deferred to Pelinka). So when you complain about Rambis, you're really complaining about Jeanie.

In all likelihood, Rambis himself is harmless. The problem is that Jeanie will not hire anyone better. But when things go bad, we start getting media leaks about how the sinister shadow of Kurt Rambis is lurking around the team. This actually sort of reminds me of the myth of Chaz the Bartender back in the day.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Bingo. I'm not thrilled with the guy, either, but he had a 13 year NBA playing career - half of it as a non-Laker - and made millions of dollars. He accomplished more by age 35 than 99% of the people on Earth do in a lifetime.

That is definitely a shallow view of things. If you think that a basketball career and making money are among life’s great accomplishments then you aim for the low hanging fruit.

Well, everyone cannot win a Nobel Prize or be elected President of the United States, so I'd list a 13 year playing career and 40 years of being paid millions for your involvement in an endeavor that you love as, indeed, being a great accomplishment!

When did you win your Nobel, anyway?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

That is definitely a shallow view of things. If you think that a basketball career and making money are among life’s great accomplishments then you aim for the low hanging fruit.

Well, everyone cannot win a Nobel Prize or be elected President of the United States, so I'd list a 13 year playing career and 40 years of being paid millions for your involvement in an endeavor that you love as, indeed, being a great accomplishment!

I never said it wasn’t an accomplishment, just that it likely doesn’t eclipse the accomplishments of 99% of the people on Earth. Playing a game and making money doing so isn’t rare. Nor does it alter the conditions of loved ones, neighborhoods or even the 99% of people on Earth. Kurt has accomplishments, I have accomplishments and I am sure that you have accomplishments. Of course my accomplishments are more vital to my family and friends.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ducasse wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

I'll make this point one more time, then give it a rest for now. What you're really complaining about is that Jeanie won't hire a qualified basketball person to oversee the team. She is only going to hire people she trusts, and she trusts Linda and Kurt Rambis. This is also why she turned to Magic and Kobe (who deferred to Pelinka). So when you complain about Rambis, you're really complaining about Jeanie.

In all likelihood, Rambis himself is harmless. The problem is that Jeanie will not hire anyone better. But when things go bad, we start getting media leaks about how the sinister shadow of Kurt Rambis is lurking around the team. This actually sort of reminds me of the myth of Chaz the Bartender back in the day.

i agree, if Tim Cook walks up to me and offer me a $500k salary job even tho i'm not qualified, i'm going to say yes for sure. i bet that was the case with the Rambis hiring.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:49 pm    Post subject:

or maybe Rambis was hired to be Jeannie's scapegoat from day one if things go bad. i hope i'm not overestimate jeannie
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Rambis has the greatest job ever. He gets to play shadow owner/GM/coach for the freaking Lakers with basically no impunity. If things go south he can simply blame the coach or GM and start again. WTF Jeanie???
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:56 pm    Post subject:

If we are going to hire an inexperienced guy I like Battier
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:43 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Russ, Vogle, Pelinka and LeBron/Klutch are just the problems on the surface. the core of the problem lies with Jeannie Buss and the Rambii.

Rambii pushing up?

I doubt that ends well.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:17 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Rambis about to fire the whole coaching staff he helped hand picked:

https://twitter.com/hmfaigen/status/1491794723341623299?s=21

It’s funny how this stuff pops up when Pelinka is under pressure, isn’t it?

So Rambis told the coaching staff (about a month ago) that their jobs weren’t safe if things didn’t improve. Well, duh. So Rambis was “looming like a shadow” in Portland yesterday. What does that even mean? Was he holding a stack of pink slips and cackling? Or was he dressed in a black hooded robe and holding a scythe? I mean, it’s unthinkable that the Director of Basketball Affairs would travel with the team, isn’t it?

We need a list of the mouthpieces lol
Who’s are Jeanie’s?
Bron’s?
Pelinka’s?
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:42 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

What Kurt accomplished as a player--and how much money he made--is irrelevant to whether he's qualified to influence front office decisions or make coaching hires. We do know his tenure as a coach in New York was a disaster, which tells us way more about his capacity for hiring them than how much money he made being a hustle guy on a loaded Lakers team that would have probably won just as many titles without him.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:58 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

What Kurt accomplished as a player--and how much money he made--is irrelevant to whether he's qualified to influence front office decisions or make coaching hires. We do know his tenure as a coach in New York was a disaster, which tells us way more about his capacity for hiring them than how much money he made being a hustle guy on a loaded Lakers team that would have probably won just as many titles without him.

Agree but what makes an internet poster more qualified than him.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:11 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Agree but what makes an internet poster more qualified than him.

I guess they have about the same qualification for the job. Being athletic and on the right team at the right time is about the same qualification as screaming at a TV screen.
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:49 am    Post subject:

I don't expect Jeanie to bring an outsider, She will probbaly promote Jesse and Joey to become president of bball operations and gm positions. Then bring some outsider to become assistant gm.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:00 am    Post subject:

When it comes to the media, Jeanie will never be held to account. She is untouchable due to her gender. Any reporter/writer who takes her to task publicly might be labeled a sexist and their career could suffer accordingly.

Jeanie is an educated person, with a business major from USC. Her achilles heel is her relationship with the Rambii, which to date has not seemed to net much for the organization.

Now she's a got a brush fire going on with this story that Pelinka "lied" about LeBron and AD "agreeing" to the team not making trades before the deadline. Who knows if it's true or not, but if it is, it's another very bad look for the org.

The Rambii got their gig due to their relationship with Jeanie, and Rob got his due to his relationship with Kobe. Good relationships and contacts are very important in business of course, but only if one makes the right choices. Pelinka is also intelligent, but he's a hard charging guy and might not be easy to be around on a day-to-day basis.

The bottom line is that Jeanie is in charge. She does have a title to her (and Rich Paul's) credit, let's not forget that. But the fact that the F.O. seems to be disjointed again does not bode well for the immediate future.
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:07 am    Post subject:

Cmon Rambis you are our last hope, Fire this bum Vogel!
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:54 am    Post subject:

Give the job to Handy...what the hell do you have to lose? He would be smart enough to play Dwight some minutes instead of this insane small ball that made 19 year old Kuminga look like an all star.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:07 am    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
When it comes to the media, Jeanie will never be held to account. She is untouchable due to her gender. Any reporter/writer who takes her to task publicly might be labeled a sexist and their career could suffer accordingly.

Jeanie is an educated person, with a business major from USC. Her achilles heel is her relationship with the Rambii, which to date has not seemed to net much for the organization.

I agree with the first part. A lot of people in the media seem to be afraid of criticizing Jeanie. If you say that she's a bad owner who lacks the skills to run the team, you run the risk of being labeled sexist, even if she is in fact a bad owner who lacks the skills to run the team.

This is not to say that no one ever views Jeanie through a sexist lens. In a lot of ways, she encourages it. Heck, her Twitter avatar is still a naked picture with two basketballs over her breasts. At this point, however, she has an extended history of performance as de facto owner since she ousted her brother from the basketball side. Her gender should not be a defense against criticism of her actual performance.

I have issues with the second part of what you said. So she has a degree in business from USC. Well, so do a lot of people who are not qualified to run a basketball team. Other than a handful of businesses that were set up for her by Dr. Buss, she has no independent experience. There have always been people who have touted her as a successful businessperson. People make sweeping statements about how she has been great at running the business side of the Lakers. I've never seen any actual evidence of this. As far as I can tell, she's just as mediocre as Jim.

As for the Rambii being her Achilles heel, no, her Achilles heel is herself. She has not been willing to bring in a strong leader to take charge of the front office. She seems to have trust issues, which is why she brought in Magic and Pelinka (via Kobe), and also why it appears that Phil Jackson still has influence even though he has proven himself to be incompetent at running a team in the front office. The Rambii are filling a void, but it's a void created by Jeanie.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:53 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:

I agree with the first part. A lot of people in the media seem to be afraid of criticizing Jeanie. If you say that she's a bad owner who lacks the skills to run the team, you run the risk of being labeled sexist, even if she is in fact a bad owner who lacks the skills to run the team.

This is not to say that no one ever views Jeanie through a sexist lens. In a lot of ways, she encourages it. Heck, her Twitter avatar is still a naked picture with two basketballs over her breasts. At this point, however, she has an extended history of performance as de facto owner since she ousted her brother from the basketball side. Her gender should not be a defense against criticism of her actual performance.

I have issues with the second part of what you said. So she has a degree in business from USC. Well, so do a lot of people who are not qualified to run a basketball team. Other than a handful of businesses that were set up for her by Dr. Buss, she has no independent experience. There have always been people who have touted her as a successful businessperson. People make sweeping statements about how she has been great at running the business side of the Lakers. I've never seen any actual evidence of this. As far as I can tell, she's just as mediocre as Jim.

As for the Rambii being her Achilles heel, no, her Achilles heel is herself. She has not been willing to bring in a strong leader to take charge of the front office. She seems to have trust issues, which is why she brought in Magic and Pelinka (via Kobe), and also why it appears that Phil Jackson still has influence even though he has proven himself to be incompetent at running a team in the front office. The Rambii are filling a void, but it's a void created by Jeanie.

Why does Phil still have influence if they are not in a relationship anymore?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 27 of 30
Jump to: