Jerry West
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
I love Jerry West.....I was raised to almost defend Jerry West's name with fists if needed. He is the greatest NBA executive to ever live!

That said, Jerry West is 80 years old, and it would be terrible for West if he even tried to take on that position. West is a perfectionist....he lives and dies with every transaction, every game, etc. when it is his responsibility. Jerry West could easily have a GM job if he wanted one and was capable of performing at a high level in the role. West is great at what he does right now....a very part time consultant. It would be irresponsible for Jeanie to even ask him to take on a full time role.

I think everyone is saying to bring him in as a special advisor/consultant role.

I hope nobody thinks he should be POBO or GM. But get a guy like David Griffin and let West consult

ok, I am fine with that, but I think Jerry would have a hard time leaving before he feels he has completed things with the Clippers.

West is one of the only people that could give this FO instant credibility.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:32 pm    Post subject:

https://i.imgur.com/pjuMhT9.jpg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:05 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
2019 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
I love Jerry West.....I was raised to almost defend Jerry West's name with fists if needed. He is the greatest NBA executive to ever live!

That said, Jerry West is 80 years old, and it would be terrible for West if he even tried to take on that position. West is a perfectionist....he lives and dies with every transaction, every game, etc. when it is his responsibility. Jerry West could easily have a GM job if he wanted one and was capable of performing at a high level in the role. West is great at what he does right now....a very part time consultant. It would be irresponsible for Jeanie to even ask him to take on a full time role.

I think everyone is saying to bring him in as a special advisor/consultant role.

I hope nobody thinks he should be POBO or GM. But get a guy like David Griffin and let West consult

ok, I am fine with that, but I think Jerry would have a hard time leaving before he feels he has completed things with the Clippers.

West is one of the only people that could give this FO instant credibility.

I think we need coalition of guys who bring respect:

Jerry West - Special Advisor
David Griffin- President BO & GM
Ryan West- Assistant GM
Jesse Buss- VP BO & Scouting
Jay Wright or Monty Williams- Head Coach
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:15 pm    Post subject:

Jerry West is not coming to this mess. You don't think he sees what's going on from afar? Jeanie and Klutch are still here. Until they're both gone, this place will continue to be chaos. The Clippers situation is infinitely more appealing.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject:

I wish we'd get him. But I don't think Jeannie ever got over some personal issues involving West and Phil.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:21 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Jerry West is not coming to this mess. You don't think he sees what's going on from afar? Jeanie and Klutch are still here. Until they're both gone, this place will continue to be chaos. The Clippers situation is infinitely more appealing.

I agree unless Jeanne gets on her knees and prays to West, and even so why woud West do such a thing. Jerry West is not a back stabber, he's loyal to his owner.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:24 pm    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

I agree unless Jeanne gets on her knees and prays to West, and even so why woud West do such a thing. Jerry West is not a back stabber, he's loyal to his owner.

glad you did not take that in another direction
The Maverick
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject:

Don't see the big deal about his age. He still grasps the game as well as anyone at the highest level and he looks as healthy as ever.

Lotta hype. Takes forever. Date keeps getting pushed back. Finally happens, and it sucks.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Jerry West

ShowtimeDynasty_24/7 wrote:
Please save us.

Amen.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:21 am    Post subject:

The Maverick wrote:
Don't see the big deal about his age. He still grasps the game as well as anyone at the highest level and he looks as healthy as ever.

I’d quickly give Jerry the keys to the kingdom if he’d be willing to comeback.

Magic basically choose to step down due to lifestyle choices. Jerry at the age of 80 is basically going to want to continue doing the same. There’s a reason he hasn't been hired in a more hands on role as President from any other ball club these past couple seasons.

He’s enjoying life operating in the background.
lakid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:22 am    Post subject:

Sell the factor of working with his son
If Jeannie can pull her head out of her ass and realize that she's turned this great organization into a soap opera circus since taking over she will recognize that there is only 1 move that she can make to turn this around and bring respectability back to this organization: Bring back the Logo

I'm sure West would clean house and get rid of the Klutch takeover of this organization which is what we need more than anything
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:22 am    Post subject:

If Jeanie blows this layup again...or doesn't at least have serious conversation(s) with the man in an attempt to bring him back...then she should sell the team.

The team belongs to the Buss family and I respect that 100%. But it is also a public trust in a way. In recent years the reputation of the org has taken a well-earned public relations beating, and there are certainly fans who have moved on and found other ways to occupy their time.

Nothing lasts forever. The Buss family today is living off the goodwill that Dr. Buss built and EARNED with his stewardship of the team. The rest of the family have not earned the same level of respect, to say the least.

Jeanie can't afford to be wrong now. She has to at least reach out to Jerry West and see if she can get him back into the fold.

We all know Jerry is a senior citizen and won't be in the office every day and running things for 10 or 20 years. That isn't the point. The respect he has in the league is firmly established, and there is no one currently in the Lakers org who can say that. They have to make the call and if he's interested they have to bring him back.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:46 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/pjuMhT9.jpg

The greatest to ever do it.
Come back home, Jerry!!!
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:09 am    Post subject:

Logo doesn’t give up. Even through all the disrespect the organization has given him, he’s the only one that would forgive the Lakers. And he wouldn’t give up, because this is his depth. All it would take is a real phone call to level with the man and say “Magic abandoned me (Jeanie) and I got no one else to turn to. We need you Jerry, and I apologize for not handing you my father’s franchise in trust from the start.” You give that man the respect he deserves, and he will set us on the right basketball path. Damn Space Jam 2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:41 am    Post subject:

i Want west to leave the clippers and join the lakers. I just want to see the clippers franchise crumble and die
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject:

€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
Logo doesn’t give up. Even through all the disrespect the organization has given him, he’s the only one that would forgive the Lakers. And he wouldn’t give up, because this is his depth. All it would take is a real phone call to level with the man and say “Magic abandoned me (Jeanie) and I got no one else to turn to. We need you Jerry, and I apologize for not handing you my father’s franchise in trust from the start.” You give that man the respect he deserves, and he will set us on the right basketball path. Damn Space Jam 2

The man quit the team 19 years ago over money after drawing a check from the franchise for 40 consecutive years. Despite the fact that they gave him a "no show" job for 2 years (1980-82) and hired his son, Ryan, when Memphis ran him out and presumably will hire Jonnie West when the Dubs fire him.

However you spin it, the Lakers have been very, very good to Jerry West.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:

The man quit the team 19 years ago over money after drawing a check from the franchise for 40 consecutive years. Despite the fact that they gave him a "no show" job for 2 years (1980-82) and hired his son, Ryan, when Memphis ran him out and presumably will hire Jonnie West when the Dubs fire him.

Jerry West left the Lakers because of a power struggle between him and Phil. It was nothing to do with money
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:

Jerry West left the Lakers because of a power struggle between him and Phil. It was nothing to do with money

Jerry left because he felt Dr. Buss promised him a bonus for winning the 2000 Championship and Dr. Buss recalled no such promise. Jerry was also in the middle-tier (salary wise) of GM's and felt disrespected because Buss didn't pay him more. The bonus was supposed to make up for it and didn't come . . . but Phil got a $2 million bonus and West couldn't live with that.
Bishop*
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject:

If Jerry Comes Luke Stays!!! He can get the ear of Lebron he is a proven winner. This will be a blessing in disguise if Jerry comes.
Bishop*
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

If Jeanie puts away her pride and asks Jerry I believe it will mean she is ready to let him run things. Jerry is the kind of guy that can cool off Klutch because he commands that much respect across the league. He is the only one that can help us now.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject:

Hmmmm
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Hmmmm

I guess he's glad he left this "(bleep) show."
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject:

Magic, now Jerry... sigh, still love them tho
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject:

https://www.tmz.com/2020/12/18/jerry-west-kawhi-leonard-clippers-lakers-lebron-james-nba/
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject:

I don't put much stock on the (bleep) show comment. That's just West trying to be a salesperson. It's just too bad he was throwing rocks from a glass house.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12
Jump to: