Jerry West
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject:

[Deleted. -CL]
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
The TMZ audio may be rather innoucous but it pretty much shatters the public perception of Jerry West in the media. You see nice guy Jerry West being interviewed by Jim Hill or whatever local media sports figure you have this built in perception of the person....in the TMZ audio you see the other side of Jerry, one who uses bad language, the guy who would do whatever it takes to get that free agent....this is the guy NBA superstars know the type of hyper competitive personality none of us see.

Well, Laker fans shouldn't be shocked. Through books, and interviews by people talking about JW, we all knew he had foul mouth. Way back when the Lakers were considering Phil Jackson, JW said, "F**K a Phil Jackson..." Before he had to cave in and follow Buss' orders to get PJ.

I really have trouble imagining that anyone is seriously worked up over the word "sh*tshow." It's like people are bending over backwards to be offended over nothing.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject:

It’s funny how a billboard is more offensive than having to literally bribe a guy and his people to wear your colors.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
The TMZ audio may be rather innoucous but it pretty much shatters the public perception of Jerry West in the media. You see nice guy Jerry West being interviewed by Jim Hill or whatever local media sports figure you have this built in perception of the person....in the TMZ audio you see the other side of Jerry, one who uses bad language, the guy who would do whatever it takes to get that free agent....this is the guy NBA superstars know the type of hyper competitive personality none of us see.

Well, Laker fans shouldn't be shocked. Through books, and interviews by people talking about JW, we all knew he had foul mouth. Way back when the Lakers were considering Phil Jackson, JW said, "F**K a Phil Jackson..." Before he had to cave in and follow Buss' orders to get PJ.

I really have trouble imagining that anyone is seriously worked up over the word "sh*tshow." It's like people are bending over backwards to be offended over nothing.

The sh*tshow comment in itself is no big deal but it shows his bitterness towards the Lakers. It's obvious now that bridge will never be rebuilt which is sad since he was such a large part if the team's history. It was more interesting to hear him trying to pull a con job in his recruiting pitch saying that Kawhi would never get his name in the papers if he joined the Lakers, but Kawhi could have easily been a finals MVP on the Lakers and would have gotten plenty of credit if he was deserving. That call also showed that Jerry will do whatever it takes in his desperation to win even if it means making things up. You can also hear the concern and a little panic in his voice when he talks about hearing from Lakers people the Lakers thought it was a done deal that Kawhi was going to sign with them. He was genuinely scared the Lakers would get him.

Last edited by ducasse on Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
#savethekids
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject:

[Deleted. -CL]
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

The sh*tshow comment in itself is no big deal but it shows his bitterness towards the Lakers. It's obvious now that bridge will never be rebuilt which is sad since he was such a large part if the team's history. It was more interesting to hear him trying to pull a con job in his recruiting pitch saying that Kawhi would never get his name in the papers if he joined the Lakers, but Kawhi could have easily been a finals MVP on the Lakers and would have gotten plenty of credit if he was deserving. That call also showed that Jerry will do whatever it takes in his desperation to win even if it means making things up. You can also hear the concern and a little panic in his voice when he talks about hearing from Lakers people from the Lakers thought it was a done deal that Kawhi was going to sign with them. He was genuinely scared the Lakers would get him.

I think people are reading into this what they want to read into it. As I've said before, to me this is just West being the same West that he was when he was GM during showtime. Nothing on that voicemail strikes me as unusual for any GM to say when trying to recruit a player.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Please refrain from all political remarks and references in the Lounge. I deleted all posts related to politics. And please dial back the personal attacks. Thanks.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject:

I have to admit that this is kinda funny.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:

It is a breath of fresh air. No longer have to hear comments like.. "Now that's how you run an organization!" When we down, people liked to kick and they love to bring up JW and the great things he's doing for the Clippers!
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
joeblow wrote:

It is a breath of fresh air. No longer have to hear comments like.. "Now that's how you run an organization!" When we down, people liked to kick and they love to bring up JW and the great things he's doing for the Clippers!

West is no doubt one of the greatest executives ever in the NBA, and arguably the best ever just in his stint with the Lakers alone, but it was pretty funny how every good thing that happened with the teams he consulted with were attributed to him with little proof while the contributions of the actual GMs and Presidents were downplayed. There were even Laker fans giving West credit for getting Pau to the Lakers when he had actually left his position with the Grizzlies before the trade ever happened or was even discussed.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:02 am    Post subject:

RhodyRay wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:
Lots of sensitive souls in here. And very upright as well.

The NBA is a business. Competing for talent is a blood sport that is taken quite seriously by the teams that are interested in winning big.

In today’s NBA, many of the players are surrounded by their families and friends, some of whom have the respective players’ ear and aren’t bashful about bending it. Who knows how many people wind up tangled up with their loved one/friend who is about to land a big-time NBA deal. Who knows how many folks around said player a team has to contend with.

The guess here is that most NBA execs have to deal with ancillary characters all the time whom their lives would likely be easier without.

If West and the Clippers made a mistake - which has been alleged but not yet proven - accusations are not convictions as some of you may be aware - they will be fined, slapped with the loss of a draft pick, whatever - and life will go on.

If West himself did something wrong, perhaps he will be fined, whatever. He won’t be hounded from public life, he won’t be incarcerated, and he certainly won’t disappear from the annals of NBA or Lakers history, where he will rightly reside for as long as the NBA exists.

The real likelihood is that this is a tempest in a teapot.

West and Bill Sharman ran the Showtime Lakers, which produced 5 NBA titles, and West acquired Shaq and Kobe for the Lakers, which produced another 5 NBA titles. Not to mention the one in 1972 which West had a rather large hand in.

In other words, without Jerry West, a lot of those banners that hang in Staples wouldn’t be there. If he made a mistake here, perhaps the process of running Jerry West out of the public square can also included the voiding of any of the Lakers championships in which he had a hand.

LBerg,

A blast from the past!

Where have you been? Hope all is well.

West is a gangsta and very cunning. I just want to see the Clippers crash.

I actually rooted for the team when they were the Buffalo Braves running around with guys like McAdoo, Randy Smith, Ernie D, Gar Heard, McMillian, and Kenny Charles beating up on the Celtics back in the days before they came to California.

It is too bad Jerry had to go to the dark side. Just as long as he does damage to the Clippers I am good!

Come back around sometime!

What’s up RR! Great to see you’re still kicking along with the rest of us geezers!

Yes those Buffalo Braves teams were terrific...my father and I used to go to games and he liked to go see McAdoo and Co, they played a high scoring and entertaining brand of ball. And I loved that they had Jimmy Mac, who I rooted like hell for as he was an ex-Laker.

Hope all is well with you and yours!
RhodyRay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:59 am    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
RhodyRay wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:
Lots of sensitive souls in here. And very upright as well.

The NBA is a business. Competing for talent is a blood sport that is taken quite seriously by the teams that are interested in winning big.

In today’s NBA, many of the players are surrounded by their families and friends, some of whom have the respective players’ ear and aren’t bashful about bending it. Who knows how many people wind up tangled up with their loved one/friend who is about to land a big-time NBA deal. Who knows how many folks around said player a team has to contend with.

The guess here is that most NBA execs have to deal with ancillary characters all the time whom their lives would likely be easier without.

If West and the Clippers made a mistake - which has been alleged but not yet proven - accusations are not convictions as some of you may be aware - they will be fined, slapped with the loss of a draft pick, whatever - and life will go on.

If West himself did something wrong, perhaps he will be fined, whatever. He won’t be hounded from public life, he won’t be incarcerated, and he certainly won’t disappear from the annals of NBA or Lakers history, where he will rightly reside for as long as the NBA exists.

The real likelihood is that this is a tempest in a teapot.

West and Bill Sharman ran the Showtime Lakers, which produced 5 NBA titles, and West acquired Shaq and Kobe for the Lakers, which produced another 5 NBA titles. Not to mention the one in 1972 which West had a rather large hand in.

In other words, without Jerry West, a lot of those banners that hang in Staples wouldn’t be there. If he made a mistake here, perhaps the process of running Jerry West out of the public square can also included the voiding of any of the Lakers championships in which he had a hand.

LBerg,

A blast from the past!

Where have you been? Hope all is well.

West is a gangsta and very cunning. I just want to see the Clippers crash.

I actually rooted for the team when they were the Buffalo Braves running around with guys like McAdoo, Randy Smith, Ernie D, Gar Heard, McMillian, and Kenny Charles beating up on the Celtics back in the days before they came to California.

It is too bad Jerry had to go to the dark side. Just as long as he does damage to the Clippers I am good!

Come back around sometime!

What’s up RR! Great to see you’re still kicking along with the rest of us geezers!

Yes those Buffalo Braves teams were terrific...my father and I used to go to games and he liked to go see McAdoo and Co, they played a high scoring and entertaining brand of ball. And I loved that they had Jimmy Mac, who I rooted like hell for as he was an ex-Laker.

Hope all is well with you and yours!

All is well my friend! The Lakers are the champs so the world is right!

I used to love McAdoo and Randy Smith the fastest man in basket ball! They used to give the Celtics a run for their money.

Remember when we used to post on AOL (tinker, docmadjidi, oldbroom, mom2doggie, mrdhertz, chicmil, wallynbeav, nrobin, makavelli, hotsteperr)?

Them were the days!

I am glad to see you are still lurking.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject:

StoicChalice392 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Never meet your heroes.

this is true. As a young lad, I tried to get my favorite NASCAR driver's autograph, Kevin Harvick, and he flat out said NOT NOW!! not gonna lie, I cried a little.

Well, he was driving the car at the time, so...
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject:

StoicChalice392 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Never meet your heroes.

this is true. As a young lad, I tried to get my favorite NASCAR driver's autograph, Kevin Harvick, and he flat out said NOT NOW!! not gonna lie, I cried a little.

I've met a lot of famous people. Some are nice, some are jerks. Pretty much like every other group of people.

The difference is that famous people are often besieged. For example, for you, meeting the driver was a big deal. For him, you might have been just another person in a sea of people that day who want something from him while he was trying to do something else.

In a sense, you were no different than a telemarketer who calls you while you are on a deadline to meet an important project.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

The sh*tshow comment in itself is no big deal but it shows his bitterness towards the Lakers. It's obvious now that bridge will never be rebuilt which is sad since he was such a large part if the team's history. It was more interesting to hear him trying to pull a con job in his recruiting pitch saying that Kawhi would never get his name in the papers if he joined the Lakers, but Kawhi could have easily been a finals MVP on the Lakers and would have gotten plenty of credit if he was deserving. That call also showed that Jerry will do whatever it takes in his desperation to win even if it means making things up. You can also hear the concern and a little panic in his voice when he talks about hearing from Lakers people the Lakers thought it was a done deal that Kawhi was going to sign with them. He was genuinely scared the Lakers would get him.

I agree. What is the big deal?

I am sure that there were moments when Kobe was talking (bleep) about the Lakers.

I am sure that Shaq had some not pleasant things to say about the Lakers.

How about Magic Johnson and Phil Jackson. He probably talked sh**t about the Lakers when Jim Buss was there.

You simply cannot judge a person on one comment when he has shown so much loyalty for the organization throughout his life.

How about the comments that West made to Kobe when he was thinking about joining the Clippers.

This is a typical example of legal extortion by this individual.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
ducasse wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I agree. What is the big deal?

I am sure that there were moments when Kobe was talking (bleep) about the Lakers.

I am sure that Shaq had some not pleasant things to say about the Lakers.

How about Magic Johnson and Phil Jackson. He probably talked sh**t about the Lakers when Jim Buss was there.

You simply cannot judge a person on one comment when he has shown so much loyalty for the organization throughout his life.

How about the comments that West made to Kobe when he was thinking about joining the Clippers.

This is a typical example of legal extortion by this individual.

People who are up in arms have probably never done sales in their entire lives...or if they do they're horrible at it. If you're negotiating with someone and are trying to convince them that Door #1 is better than Door #2, of COURSE you're going to pump up Door #1 and put down Door #2. "But his choice of words was mean!". Jesus Christ...
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Yup. Much ado about nothing.
cannga11
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
Legacy wrote:
There is no tarnish on Jerry's legacy with the Lakers.

He doesn't work for us. He's not going to encourage a star player to go to another team other than the one he works for (Please no Pau comments. Not even the same scenario).

I see this as a good thing. Clipps and KL (uncle included) are now under the microscope. I am a vengeful dude, and karma is a son of a biotch.

This past year, we saw a college admission scandal happen. Parents went to jail for bribing athletic coaches to get their kids favored admissions. I found this surprising because I thought the problems were more civil than criminal. Bribery, however, is bribery. Is there an analogue here? Is bribing KL's uncle (promising to buy him a house would seem to be such an inducement) to get KL to sign with the Clippers akin to bribing a college athletic coach to get a child admitted to a college? To me, they seem as if the underlying issues are awfully similar.

Are there any lawyers out there who can talk intelligently on these issues?

Bribery is a specific crime. It involves giving money to influence the actions of a person holding a public or legal duty.

KL's uncle and the guy who filed the suit don't have any public or legal duty so there is no bribery or crime involved here. In many business circumstances, giving them money to help them lobby someone they know would be perfectly fine.

The issue here is that giving them money would violate the NBA rules that teams have agreed to, which is that teams cannot provide any compensation to a player beyond their contract. Giving money to a player's relative or friend would constitute additional compensation for the player.

So this isn't a bribery case. No crimes have been committed. However, it is potentially a violation of a business agreement.

The college admissions scandal was a criminal case, because it violated a law related to "honest services," where someone is given bribes or kickbacks to breach a fiduciary responsibility (which is someone who is legally or ethically bound to act in good faith related to someone else's interests.) The guy who filed this suit has no fiduciary responsibility to anyone.

Thanks for explanation. I too was surprised that people got sent to jail in that college admissions scandal.

For me, I am not surprised or upset by what West said. If anything I feel sorry for Logo. He's a tightly wound, emotional person and this seems a bitter and hurtful ending to the tie with a team once near and dear to him (and to me, an older person, it's the ending that counts).

I do want Lakers to **** them up good because of this though. Sports fans don't forgive.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject:

I’m guessing Ryan West was shown the door. There were some rumblings here on maybe he leaked info to his dad during the whole Kawhi fiasco. After hear the phone conversations from West how he said that the Lakers think they’re going to get Kawhi, I am more confident on this theory.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
I’m guessing Ryan West was shown the door. There were some rumblings here on maybe he leaked info to his dad during the whole Kawhi fiasco. After hear the phone conversations from West how he said that the Lakers think they’re going to get Kawhi, I am more confident on this theory.

Good riddance
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Ryan West?

Bye Felicia
Vercetti
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject:

I have zero problem with the audio, though it's funny West, working for the Clippers calling any other organization a sh*tshow.

I just never knew Jerry West was so slimy to pay off some dude to land an overrated free agent.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject:

cannga11 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
Legacy wrote:
There is no tarnish on Jerry's legacy with the Lakers.

He doesn't work for us. He's not going to encourage a star player to go to another team other than the one he works for (Please no Pau comments. Not even the same scenario).

I see this as a good thing. Clipps and KL (uncle included) are now under the microscope. I am a vengeful dude, and karma is a son of a biotch.

This past year, we saw a college admission scandal happen. Parents went to jail for bribing athletic coaches to get their kids favored admissions. I found this surprising because I thought the problems were more civil than criminal. Bribery, however, is bribery. Is there an analogue here? Is bribing KL's uncle (promising to buy him a house would seem to be such an inducement) to get KL to sign with the Clippers akin to bribing a college athletic coach to get a child admitted to a college? To me, they seem as if the underlying issues are awfully similar.

Are there any lawyers out there who can talk intelligently on these issues?

Bribery is a specific crime. It involves giving money to influence the actions of a person holding a public or legal duty.

KL's uncle and the guy who filed the suit don't have any public or legal duty so there is no bribery or crime involved here. In many business circumstances, giving them money to help them lobby someone they know would be perfectly fine.

The issue here is that giving them money would violate the NBA rules that teams have agreed to, which is that teams cannot provide any compensation to a player beyond their contract. Giving money to a player's relative or friend would constitute additional compensation for the player.

So this isn't a bribery case. No crimes have been committed. However, it is potentially a violation of a business agreement.

The college admissions scandal was a criminal case, because it violated a law related to "honest services," where someone is given bribes or kickbacks to breach a fiduciary responsibility (which is someone who is legally or ethically bound to act in good faith related to someone else's interests.) The guy who filed this suit has no fiduciary responsibility to anyone.

Thanks for explanation. I too was surprised that people got sent to jail in that college admissions scandal.

For me, I am not surprised or upset by what West said. If anything I feel sorry for Logo. He's a tightly wound, emotional person and this seems a bitter and hurtful ending to the tie with a team once near and dear to him (and to me, an older person, it's the ending that counts).

I do want Lakers to **** them up good because of this though. Sports fans don't forgive.

I don't think Jerry is bitter. He's just doing a job, and he's doing it well. I am actually amused how many people got their panties all twisted up because West called the Lakers a "sh*tstorm." Like someone else said, I don't think any of those people have ever done sales.

Welcome to the real world, people. And, frankly, this isn't even an extreme example of the real world. This is people who were expecting to watch the Disney channel getting some PG-13 content instead, and having a heart attack as a result.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Vercetti wrote:
I have zero problem with the audio, though it's funny West, working for the Clippers calling any other organization a sh*tshow.

I just never knew Jerry West was so slimy to pay off some dude to land an overrated free agent.

To be fair, Jerry didn't pay off anyone. If he had paid off someone, the guy wouldn't have sued him.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

I don't think Jerry is bitter. He's just doing a job, and he's doing it well. I am actually amused how many people got their panties all twisted up because West called the Lakers a "sh*tstorm." Like someone else said, I don't think any of those people have ever done sales..

So it's normal in sales to recruit clients, and West clearly saw Wilkes as a proxy for Kawhi, by calling a competitor a s***show when you think you might be in the verge of losing out to a competitor? That makes you sound desperate. You also insulted my intelligence by telling me you think I am stupid because I'm actually considering a s***show for the job. If I was considering two candidates and one called their primary competition a s***show in my interactions with them to convince me to hire them they probably wouldn't get the job.

Last edited by ducasse on Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12
Jump to: