Jason Kidd named Lakers Assistant Coach (Update: Hired as Mavericks Head Coach)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
can we get carlisle

He was hired by the Pacers.
Lakersfan1211
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
can we get carlisle

He's with Indiana Pacers now.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Dallas fired a top 5 coach who led them to their only championship for a guy who was fired by both the Nets and the Bucks?

Hasn't won a playoff series since their championship. I think his voice was no longer resonating in Dallas. Good coach but a change of scenery was needed.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject:

Carlisle is with the Pacers now and since he’s there, he’s already talked to all the players other than Sabonis (cause dude is international right now for his Olympic commitments). I doubt they will blow it up...especially with that prickard still there. So pipes involving Myles and Brogden can probably be put out too.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
What value did Jason Kidd actually bring to the Lakers?

Well let’s look at the reasons we brought him over:

1. Help develop Brandon Ingram into a point forward.
2. Recruit Giannis to the Lakers

[GWB Mission Accomplished banner drops in background]

Samesies

Vogel: another year coaching the Lakers. Everyone keeps asking if they can pick the starting unit. Buddy, they won’t even let me pick it.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Congrats on the 4 years.
Thanks for all your contributions to #17!
Wish you the best in your future endeavors.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
BEazy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject:

I feel like this hiring for the Mavs puts them behind where they use to be. We use to do this crap before too. Hiring of Magic, Luke, Byron Scott, Brian Shaw, etc. Hiring ex players usually never works out for anybody...

I don't see Luka staying with the Mavs.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject:

ScHoolBoy B wrote:
I feel like this hiring for the Mavs puts them behind where they use to be. We use to do this crap before too. Hiring of Magic, Luke, Byron Scott, Brian Shaw, etc. Hiring ex players usually never works out for anybody...

My guess is they consulted Luka before the hire.

Seems like he wasn't the biggest fan of Carlisle: https://clutchpoints.com/mavs-news-proof-of-luka-doncics-strained-relationship-with-rick-carlisle/
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Alright. Welp I’ve never been sold on JKidd as a coach but I hope this works out for him and the Mavs. Best of luck Jason. Try not to have to “spill” any drinks on the sidelines this time around.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject:

ScHoolBoy B wrote:

You mean former players coaching teams they played for?

Lenny Wilkins (former Sonic) coached them to a title
Al Attles (former Warrior) coached them to a title
Billy Cunningham (former Sixer) coached them to a title
KC Jones (former Celtic) coached them to a title
Pat Riley (former Laker) coached them to a title
Tommy Heinsohn (former Celtic) coached them to a title
Rudy Tomjanovich (former Rocket) coached them to a title
Doc Rivers (former Clipper) brought legitimacy to them

And if you look at all the former players who won 'chips as head coaches:

Kerr
Lue
Riles
PJax
Doc
Larry Brown
Rudy T
KC Jones
Cunningham
Wilkens
Heinsohn
Loughery (ABA)
Attles
Holzman
Leonard (ABA)
Sharman
Costello (ABA)

And on and on . . .
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
ScHoolBoy B wrote:

You mean former players coaching teams they played for?

Lenny Wilkins (former Sonic) coached them to a title
Al Attles (former Warrior) coached them to a title
Billy Cunningham (former Sixer) coached them to a title
KC Jones (former Celtic) coached them to a title
Pat Riley (former Laker) coached them to a title
Tommy Heinsohn (former Celtic) coached them to a title
Rudy Tomjanovich (former Rocket) coached them to a title
Doc Rivers (former Clipper) brought legitimacy to them

And if you look at all the former players who won 'chips as head coaches:

Kerr
Lue
Riles
PJax
Doc
Larry Brown
Rudy T
KC Jones
Cunningham
Wilkens
Heinsohn
Loughery (ABA)
Attles
Holzman
Leonard (ABA)
Sharman
Costello (ABA)

And on and on . . .

Nice post!
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject:

Dr. Elliot Kupferberg’s Water Bottle wrote:
Aug 11, 2021ReplyRetweetFavorite

epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

Dr. Twitter trying to decide on who should be an NBA coach.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 11:10 am    Post subject:

Lakers fans were all joking that Jason Kidd better not be brought in to be Lakers head coach after Vogel gets fired. Now after he’s coached the Mavs, he would’ve been the best head coach replacement.
lakeshowtacular
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:
Lakers fans were all joking that Jason Kidd better not be brought in to be Lakers head coach after Vogel gets fired. Now after he’s coached the Mavs, he would’ve been the best head coach replacement.

I knew it the day he left. Vogel didn't "reach" the players, because he never played the game at a high level. Kidd, Rondo, and LBJ in a time-out would have been some of the highest BBIQ conversations ever.

Kidd is the ONLY thing, I believe, that could have made this season a success with Russ. He could have the hard conversations with him, and back it up with a similar NBA experience as RW.

The defense communicated poorly all year, but they were a feisty bunch in 2020. Always talking, hands up, good switching, and defensive rebounding to seal the possession. All that comes from buying in, they bought in when Kidd was here, not so much with him gone. Yes, I do realize, the roster was far less capable of defending, but most of this stuff is effort, and I didn't see a lot of that on D this year. Kidd is a great coach, and would have been great here.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject:

^
You also had a history of players there that defended vs a history of players that didn't defend.

For example Melo and Westbrook are 2 guys known for not playing defense. Especially team defense. Ball watching, lazy off the ball stuff. They were option 3 and 4 in our offense. Vs the last 2 years where option 3 and 4 would have been KCP/Green or KCP/Dennis.

Say whatever you want about Dennis, he did have a nose for D and was active. Same for Green. KCP also gave a lot on that end.

If it were the same team, and then this was the results, I agree you can say it was all Kidd. I think Kidd helped a lot in the way you mention as did Rondo. No doubt about it. But I also think it's the players we changed around. The motor on these guys was very very low. You can't sub out high motor defensive guys for low motor offense first guys and expect the same defense or the coach to make the difference. Essentially if you re-watch Pelinka's press conference at season's start this is what he expected the coaching staff to do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject:

You could have prime Phil Jax but with the injuries and poor roster construction, not sure he could have done much. I lay a lot of this on how the Lakers constructed this team. Went from hard nose defensive team (with LBJ/AD as the primary scorers) to whatever this team was.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 7:07 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
You could have prime Phil Jax but with the injuries and poor roster construction, not sure he could have done much. I lay a lot of this on how the Lakers constructed this team. Went from hard nose defensive team (with LBJ/AD as the primary scorers) to whatever this team was.

While I agree than elite coach like Phil/etc would have not made the difference in the big picture (title/finals appearance) I do think they would have gotten some respect from WB, and gotten the team to play better than Frank. Frank didn't reach the team, and I say this as a big time supporter (and appreciation of the title run) if his, but he doesn't have that ability to coach star studded teams and big names like Phil or some other elite basketball coaches have. Someone with more experience coaching egos and star (big name) teams would have done better, IMO.

Which is why, if we made a coaching change and hired someone of that ilk, I'd totally agree with the rationale and respect it. However we end up interviewing guys like Mark Jackson, Stotts, Ham etc. and it's not at all a situation where you upgraded. I would have liked them to have identified the exact coach, elite or whatever, and go strong after him. Instead it's just a merry go round, like we saw 3 years ago, like we see every 2 years since Dr. Buss passed away. They've decided to make a change, just because they feel it's appropriate. Now go back to 1999. We canned Del, Rambo was interim. But we went after the very very best and paid premium. I was hoping if we're going to move on from a championship winning coach, at least have an elite basketball coach to replace him. Still holding out some hope that happens but based on who they've interviwed .... eh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
phantasyman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 10:17 am    Post subject:

Jason Kidd takes over the Mavs and immediately takes them to the WCF and possibly the finals. We should have made Kidd our coach. We suck man in every aspect
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 11:05 am    Post subject:

phantasyman wrote:
Jason Kidd takes over the Mavs and immediately takes them to the WCF and possibly the finals. We should have made Kidd our coach. We suck man in every aspect

Jason Kidd also has Luka freakin’ Doncic which helps a ton.

Good for Kidd in turning his coaching career reputation around and to he credits Vogel for helping him learn and succeed so I wouldn’t say the Lakers fail at every aspect.

The lakers problem is they got a bunch of parties vying for power.
phantasyman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Bring back Kids when his contract is up in Dallas
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:00 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
phantasyman wrote:

Jason Kidd also has Luka freakin’ Doncic which helps a ton.

Good for Kidd in turning his coaching career reputation around and to he credits Vogel for helping him learn and succeed so I wouldn’t say the Lakers fail at every aspect.

The lakers problem is they got a bunch of parties vying for power.

Yeah, while Kidd absolutely deserves respect for redeeming himself I feel he's being vastly overrated at times here. Some of his "adjustments" were pretty rough to say the least and i'd say Luka had significantly more to do with any success then anyone else.. It was pretty much "Hey Luka do your thing and score and create easy opportunities for everyone else as much as you can while the rest of the team shoots a million threes". Kidd is looking like a slightly above average coach imo but still def. NOT elite imo.. Him along with most coaches currently available are just so underwhelming he could still very well be among the best in this group but let's not get carried away. He did some good things as well which i'll make clear but plenty of bad. Pretty obvious both him and Vogel were at there best together with the other great minds all around in that Bubble run.

I agree 100% our biggest problem is needing to get our FO right and organized where everyone has cemented roles versus all these random people that have small chunks of power in the background trying to sway decisions in different directions.. This is a recipe for disaster and def. not continued success if most of the stories about our FO are true which we know at least a few are just not to what degree.

It's crazy because because after the 2020 title we had a great reputation about our culture and coaching staff with guys WANTING to come here along with being the top destination for buyout players as well.. Two years later and it's literally done a complete 180, that's not something that should be happening and is pretty unacceptable.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Kidd made no adjustments when they blew that lead.

He didn't really do anything tonight either.

The team lives or die depending on Doncic and whether they are hot shooting from three.

If the team is hot, they can beat anyone, but it seems to have little to do with what Kidd does.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 6:58 am    Post subject:

Kidd’ problem is that they need Doncic and Brunson on the floor in crunch time if they want to be able to score enough. But they can’t defend well enough if they have Doncic and Brunson on the floor. Classic damned if he does damned if he doesn’t.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject:

hype wrote:
Yeah, while Kidd absolutely deserves respect for redeeming himself I feel he's being vastly overrated at times here.

That's just the nature of the playoffs. You win a series, you're a genius. You lose a series, you're a bum. We need to look at Kidd's overall body of work this year. It's pretty good, but not legendary.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15
Jump to: