Derek Fisher hired as head coach of The Los Angeles Sparks

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Derek Fisher hired as head coach of The Los Angeles Sparks

SportsCenter

@SportsCenter

Breaking: The Los Angeles Sparks of the @WNBA have hired Derek Fisher as head coach, league sources tell @wojespn.

2:24 PM - 5 Dec 2018
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject:

I wonder if he'll try and steal the significant others of his players....
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Why is he downgrading jn terms of pay? I think a head coach did the WNBA only makes $70k. He probably makes more money as a commentator.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:
Why is he downgrading jn terms of pay? I think a head coach did the WNBA only makes $70k. He probably makes more money as a commentator.

If he had no other job offers he was earning $0.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject:

sounds like he will still be doing Lakers pre and post game shows...
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:

The WNBA plays in the summer don't they? He can still work all of the Laker games.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject:

Total_Xfactor wrote:
Fuck yeah, he’s gonna be swimming in pussy

lol how did that pass the sensor
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:44 pm    Post subject: Derek Fisher fired as head coach of Sparks

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/34053888/derek-fisher-fired-head-coach-los-angeles-sparks-source-confirms

Quote:
Derek Fisher fired as head coach of WNBA's Los Angeles Sparks
play

The Los Angeles Sparks have fired head coach Derek Fisher and named assistant Fred Williams as his interim replacement.

Fisher, who won five championships playing with the Lakers and previously served as a coach for the Knicks, took over as head coach in Los Angeles in 2019 and later as general manager in December 2020. He finished his career with the Sparks with a 54-46 record.

"On behalf of our ownership group, I want to thank Derek for his efforts and contributions to the Sparks franchise," Sparks managing partner Eric Holoman said. "We wish him the best moving forward. I have full confidence in Fred Williams to step into the role of interim head coach, bringing a wealth of experience leading WNBA teams."

EDITOR'S PICKS

WNBA Power Rankings: Sky up, Storm down and Sun take over the top spot
1dMechelle Voepel
The Sparks were hoping to rebound from a 12-20 campaign last season in which they missed the postseason for the first time since 2011. Despite bringing in four-time All-Star Liz Cambage and the 2020 No. 4 overall draft pick Chennedy Carter in the offseason, the Sparks are just 5-7 and in eighth place in the standings to start the 2022 season, which included a four-game losing streak last month.

"I want to thank the LA Sparks organization, ownership, staff, players, and fans for the opportunity they have afforded me over the last four years as a part of this historic franchise," Fisher said. "Their support has allowed me to grow as both a coach and front office executive and I am proud of what we have accomplished."

The three-time champion Sparks, one of the three remaining founding franchises in the WNBA, won one playoff game in Fisher's three full seasons in Los Angeles.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:54 pm    Post subject:

I'm just getting caught up on this. The Athletic tried to make it sound like it might have been a mutual parting or they didn't know who instigated it (Sparks or Fisher). But everything else I've read sounds more like he was let go. First of all I lost track of how long he'd actually been in that role. And secondly I was unaware of how overall mediocre he's been in that role. So yeah...

Derek is quite good on Access Sportsnet... might be time for him to focus on that broadcasting career.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:38 pm    Post subject:

He was pretty bad at both the GM and the coach part. Worst thing he did was alienating Candace Parker to the point that she left.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
He was pretty bad at both the GM and the coach part. Worst thing he did was alienating Candace Parker to the point that she left.

Oh right that too!!

Time to head for the broadcaster’s booth, DFish
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: