Source: Pat Riley stepping down as coach of Miami Heat

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Source: Pat Riley stepping down as coach of Miami Heat

MIAMI (AP) — Pat Riley's worst season as coach of the Miami Heat will be his last. A person close to Riley says the Hall of Fame coach, whose team finished the year with the NBA's worst record (15-67), is stepping aside as the Heat's on-court boss.

The source, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the Heat has not officially announced the decision, says Riley will remain as team president, overseeing a plan to halt the team's dramatic fall after it won the NBA championship in 2006.

It's believed Riley could name his replacement on Monday as well. He has been grooming longtime assistant Erik Spoelstra for the job in recent years. That would follow the path Riley took when promoting Stan Van Gundy previously.

Story
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject:

So if your Spoelstra, do you tank on purpose for job security? Or do you try your best to get the team back on top so you can turn it over to Riles?
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject:

I don't care what he's done in the past; Riles is a coward. I have started losing respect for him after bailing on his team the first time and then kicking Stan Van out once they started winning. If he does it again, it will be absolutely despicable.

And people say Phil will only coach teams that are contenders?
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject:

What a shock.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Lamar's Bud wrote:
I don't care what he's done in the past; Riles is a coward. I have started losing respect for him after bailing on his team the first time and then kicking Stan Van out once they started winning. If he does it again, it will be absolutely despicable.

I share some of those feelings. It looks real bad that he pushed Stan on when the Heat were contenders then when he cant coach the mess he made he bails.
hig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
Lamar's Bud wrote:

I share some of those feelings. It looks real bad that he pushed Stan on when the Heat were contenders then when he cant coach the mess he made he bails.

True. I'm actually surprised he finished out the season...well, sort of.
al-boogie
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject:

as a fellow filipino myself, it's cool to know that another filipino is coaching in the NBA (even though it's the Heat).
Vercetti
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Lamar's Bud wrote:

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Huh? Why the press conference now? I was under the impression he quit on this team a long time ago
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
al-boogie
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
Huh? Why the press conference now? I was under the impression he quit on this team a long time ago

- Same here
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:01 pm    Post subject:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nba/news/erik-spoelstra-signs-eight-year-extension-with-heat-worth-at-least-a-reported-100-million

Quote:
Erik Spoelstra signs eight-year extension with Heat worth at least a reported $100 million

Erik Spoelstra is the best coach in the NBA right now and the Heat are paying him like it.

Spoelstra and the Heat have agreed to an eight-year contract extension worth at least $100 million, according to multiple reports (Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN reports $120 million, although that likely includes incentive bonuses).

Contracts in the past year for Gregg Popovich in San Antonio and Monty Williams in Detroit set the bar for top coaches at north of $10 million a season. Since then, both Steve Kerr in Golden State and Michael Malone in Denver have signed extensions in that range. This extension brings Spoelstra into that group, which he deserves after leading seemingly undermanned Heat rosters to the NBA Finals two of the past four seasons. Even players who were not originally fans have come around on Coach Spo.

Spoelstra has been the Heat coach since 2008 and has come to embody the Heat culture. He worked his way up from a video coordinator to the big chair and it’s widely expected around the league that at some point in the future — not soon, but eventually — he will step from coaching into the Heat front office.

Spoelstra has won two NBA titles as a coach and gotten Miami to the Finals six times. In his 15 years as a head coach, the Heat have had a losing record twice.

This is a smart signing by Miami — when you have the best in the business you don’t let them go. As for Spoelstra, he doesn’t want to be anywhere else.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Nice throwback, and very impressed by Spo both for longevity and that contract! Good on him
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:13 pm    Post subject:

I genuinely love seeing bumps of these ancient threads.

April 2008 was a good time.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:19 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
I genuinely love seeing bumps of these ancient threads.

April 2008 was a good time.
LG was at the height of its powers.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:20 pm    Post subject:

When you realize we're 4 years away from Spo being the Miami Heat's coach for 20 seasons.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:25 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
When you realize we're 4 years away from Spo being the Miami Heat's coach for 20 seasons.

Outside of Pop what other coach has ever had that type of longevity. Maybe Jerry Sloan?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: