OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject:

dbl post

Last edited by VicXLakers on Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
Judah wrote:
Russell's court vision is elite. It's the timing and the accuracy of the passes that he struggles with at the pro level. And his mind is constantly on autopilot during games. Effort is mental.

Nail on the head. He's got the full package, skill-wise, on offense. He should be able to toy with defenses given his triple threat ability and creativity/vision, but his brain has never been consistently in tune with what's actually happening on the court.

slow of foot and of mind ...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
Judah wrote:
Russell's court vision is elite. It's the timing and the accuracy of the passes that he struggles with at the pro level. And his mind is constantly on autopilot during games. Effort is mental.

Nail on the head. He's got the full package, skill-wise, on offense. He should be able to toy with defenses given his triple threat ability and creativity/vision, but his brain has never been consistently in tune with what's actually happening on the court.

He has a smooth shooting stroke which is nice to see, but the ball actually needs to go through the net.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
Judah wrote:

He has a smooth shooting stroke which is nice to see, but the ball actually needs to go through the net.

Correct. The fact is that he's been a mediocre-to-poor 3-point shooter, and last year he was especially poor. Until that changes, he'll never be an above-average starting guard in the NBA.
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject:

The Nets can have nearly 70m in realistic cap space if they sign D'lo to a "Steph Curry Prove It" deal in the amount of 10-13m, but if Mintz scoffs then he can go pound sand. So then they'd be selling the following to free agents:

• Crabbe
• Lavert
• RHJ
• Harris
• A top 5 pick, most likely
• Allen, Kurucs, Musa

Trade/stretch Crabbe for more cap space and they can be the Dumper, not the Dumpee. Still, the idea of Butler + Kyrie joining that group seems farfetched, so that's almost 70m in Deng/Mahinmi/Biyombo absorptions they can handle

(P.S. I'm not opposed to making the Celts weaker & the Nets a competitive team, just looking out for the Lakers first)
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject:

My Uninformed Random Preferences for Free Agent Movement Next Season

I'm assuming Middleton stays in MIL, Klay stays in GS, and KLove doesn't get traded.

BKN Kyrie & Jimmy. Weakens Boston, another top team in East to contend with PHI, BOS & (spoiler alert), the Knicks

NYK Durant. Weakens the Warriors, joins Kevin with Kristaps, Kevin & Fizdale along with a decent supporting cast in Franky Smokes & Tim Hardaway.

ORL Kemba. No real reason. Just want him to get paid & the Magic need a PG so badly. Him with Bamba, Gordon & Isaacs would look pretty dope.

LAL Kawhi, enough said.

LAC Tobias Harris & Demarcus Cousins on an overpay and mediocrity-ville for West & Co. for the next five years.

Likely Trade Candidates CJ McCollum, Damian Lillard or Wiggins. Some small market team with tons of space (like Utah or Indiana) will take a bad contract along with one of those players. Let's see how wrong I am
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Washington's Markieff Morris and Boston's Marcus Morris have signed with agent Rich Paul of Klutch Sports Group. Both will enter free agency next summer.

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1026523458132271104?s=21
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

Washington's Markieff Morris and Boston's Marcus Morris have signed with agent Rich Paul of Klutch Sports Group. Both will enter free agency next summer.

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1026523458132271104?s=21

My uninformed prediction: they'll find a way to end up on the same team again, with whoever is willing to pay them both (ironically, Kieff started as the better player but I trust in Marcus more with his limited "enforcer and make 3s" role). Probably Brooklyn if they strike out with their Kyrie/Jimmy/Durant plans.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:
The Nets can have nearly 70m in realistic cap space if they sign D'lo to a "Steph Curry Prove It" deal in the amount of 10-13m, but if Mintz scoffs then he can go pound sand. So then they'd be selling the following to free agents:

• Crabbe
• Lavert
• RHJ
• Harris
• Allen, Kurucs, Musa

Don’t forget The Spencer.
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
cyborgspider wrote:

• Crabbe
• Lavert
• RHJ
• Harris
• Allen, Kurucs, Musa

Don’t forget The Spencer.

AKA "The Russell Replacer" You're right, although national podcasters insist he'll be the most valuable trade chip this season, but I hope he sticks around in BKN.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject:

As with most summers, I think next year most players stay with their original teams. I think a lot of team - like Brooklyn - may be forced to play the absorb the salary game once again. I think the reality of the new NBA is that you can't get real value through free agency until you have a foundation built through the draft/smart trades first.

Otherwise, if you try to build a team through free agency, you are generally forced to overpay which means self-sabotage from the get go. Horford to Boston or Lebron to LA is generally the exception to the rule. Most people end up overpaying for a DeAndre Jordan type on a multi-year deal, which means NBA limbo.

I think there will be a number of teams who strike out, leaving a bunch of opportunities for us to dump Deng next year summer on the cheap.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dedmon goes the way of Marcus Banks. All it takes is a poster mentioning his name over and over and he becomes a legend here.

--Anonymous
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject:

What is the projected MLE next summer for non-tax paying teams that are over the cap?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject:

cital wrote:
What is the projected MLE next summer for non-tax paying teams that are over the cap?

I think approximately $9,202,600.....but we will once again likely be operating under the cap and only have the room exception which will be about $4.7 Million.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:
My Uninformed Random Preferences for Free Agent Movement Next Season

I'm assuming Middleton stays in MIL, Klay stays in GS, and KLove doesn't get traded.

BKN Kyrie & Jimmy. Weakens Boston, another top team in East to contend with PHI, BOS & (spoiler alert), the Knicks

NYK Durant. Weakens the Warriors, joins Kevin with Kristaps, Kevin & Fizdale along with a decent supporting cast in Franky Smokes & Tim Hardaway.

ORL Kemba. No real reason. Just want him to get paid & the Magic need a PG so badly. Him with Bamba, Gordon & Isaacs would look pretty dope.

LAL Kawhi, enough said.

LAC Tobias Harris & Demarcus Cousins on an overpay and mediocrity-ville for West & Co. for the next five years.

Likely Trade Candidates CJ McCollum, Damian Lillard or Wiggins. Some small market team with tons of space (like Utah or Indiana) will take a bad contract along with one of those players. Let's see how wrong I am

Kyrie and Butler to Knicks would be great for basketball -- I actually think this is going to happen.

KD should come here and then Kawhi can stay in Toronto. If KD stays, let's hope Kawhi is a Laker. We'll see how healthy KL is soon enough

Clippers getting stuck with Cousins and Harris like you said would be lol worthy and oh so Clipper-esque.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
As with most summers, I think next year most players stay with their original teams. I think a lot of team - like Brooklyn - may be forced to play the absorb the salary game once again. I think the reality of the new NBA is that you can't get real value through free agency until you have a foundation built through the draft/smart trades first.

Otherwise, if you try to build a team through free agency, you are generally forced to overpay which means self-sabotage from the get go. Horford to Boston or Lebron to LA is generally the exception to the rule. Most people end up overpaying for a DeAndre Jordan type on a multi-year deal, which means NBA limbo.

I think there will be a number of teams who strike out, leaving a bunch of opportunities for us to dump Deng next year summer on the cheap.

I agree that there will be a robust market for clearing salary for assets next summer. It's going to be a smart move for several teams. The cost to move Deng this summer, with a lack of cap teams and two years on his deal was going to be significant. As an expiring contract in a cap rich market things should be simpler. One subtly important detail is that LA can reach agreement with a max free agent by stretching Deng. Once they have a commitment, they can shop for a cap clearing trade to give more room to further build the roster.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

I agree that there will be a robust market for clearing salary for assets next summer. It's going to be a smart move for several teams. The cost to move Deng this summer, with a lack of cap teams and two years on his deal was going to be significant. As an expiring contract in a cap rich market things should be simpler. One subtly important detail is that LA can reach agreement with a max free agent by stretching Deng. Once they have a commitment, they can shop for a cap clearing trade to give more room to further build the roster.

Wait, so is everyone suggesting that the Lakers can reach an agreement with a max player before they can actually get rid of Deng? I assume that means as long as the contract isn't signed yet, they can pursue all avenues to dump Deng. I'm not sure how that will work out. Lakers will need to have a team strike out quickly in free agency before being willing to deal with them. The Lakers can't just wait around for other teams to assemble their rosters before deciding to come back to talk a Deng deal. It could be late in the offseason at that point and the Lakers will need to address other needs.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Wait, so is everyone suggesting that the Lakers can reach an agreement with a max player before they can actually get rid of Deng? I assume that means as long as the contract isn't signed yet, they can pursue all avenues to dump Deng. I'm not sure how that will work out. Lakers will need to have a team strike out quickly in free agency before being willing to deal with them. The Lakers can't just wait around for other teams to assemble their rosters before deciding to come back to talk a Deng deal. It could be late in the offseason at that point and the Lakers will need to address other needs.

Moratorium gives a bit of time to do that.

Lakers can approach max FAs with 100% confidence they can clear the cap either by stretch or trade of Deng. If they can't find anyone, they can stretch him and not leave cap space clearing to other teams.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania

Sources: Philadelphia 76ers rookie Zhaire Smith has suffered a fractured left foot. Smith, the No. 16 pick in the Draft, hurt his foot on Monday in Las Vegas during a developmental camp for NBA players.

Tough break for Zhaire. I wonder what the recovery time will be. And was he supposed to get minutes this year?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Quote:
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania

Sources: Philadelphia 76ers rookie Zhaire Smith has suffered a fractured left foot. Smith, the No. 16 pick in the Draft, hurt his foot on Monday in Las Vegas during a developmental camp for NBA players.

Tough break for Zhaire. I wonder what the recovery time will be. And was he supposed to get minutes this year?

Yup. 76ers let their wings (TCL and Justin Anderson) go in part in anticipation Zhaire contributing at the wing spot.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject:

Philly's 1st Round draft selection has a significant injury before his 1st season.....shocking!
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Philly's 1st Round draft selection has a significant injury before his 1st season.....shocking!

This is getting ridiculous! Has it been the last 5 years??
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject:

textbook wrote:
adkindo wrote:

This is getting ridiculous! Has it been the last 5 years??

Noel, Embid, Simmons, Markelle, Now Smith
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject:

It's rumored that Jahlil Okafor is gonna take a training camp deal with the Pelicans. We could invite him to training camp and see what he can do in preseason. I think we have a 15 man roster right now though, but I'm not sure.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Melo verbally commits to Houston.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 4 of 8560
Jump to: