OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7064, 7065, 7066 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Things are coming to a head in Philly….

What appeared at first to be a dick swinging contest between Morey & Klutch, has now turned into playing head games. Move over Love, meet the new poster child of mental health in the NBA.

Quote:
Philadelphia 76ers All-Star guard Ben Simmons plans to meet with medical professionals for an evaluation after telling the team Friday that he wasn't mentally ready to play to his expectations and needed time to step away, sources told ESPN.

Simmons met separately with coach Doc Rivers, medical staff and teammates Friday morning at the team's facility in Camden, New Jersey, and started a process that is expected to continue to keep him from making his season debut, sources said.

After he told the team's medical staff of his reasons for needing to seek help, the Sixers continued to offer Simmons whatever resources are necessary to assist him, sources said.

The Sixers have been fining Simmons for missing games, practices and meetings -- nearing $2 million this season -- but there is a provision in the collective bargaining agreement that protects players' salary for failing to render services "if such failure has been caused by the player's mental disability."

Way to use your noodles, Ben/Rich.

Shame on you Philly…first booing Santa, then Beyoncé, then your native son in Kob and now this.

In Ben's case, what is Philly's mistake? Dude was horrible in playoffs. Philly lost few games just because they didn't sit him in 4th quarter as it may bring Ben's confidence down. Doc supported him as long as he could.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject:

roger_federer wrote:

In Ben's case, what is Philly's mistake?

Not trading Ben after he made a trade demand.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject:

Unfortunattely Philly will lose in the end...they may make a point of penalizing Simmons but he'll get traded regardless. He will never put his 100% in a Philly uniform ever again, and he'll pout and throw a tantrum until he gets his way.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
roger_federer wrote:

So you would be supportive of Davis requesting a trade for a bad return from the other team?

We have been making headway as a society acknowledging and supporting mental health concerns. This play by Klutch/Simmons seems like a scam or leverage to avoid fines for refusing to play.

If Simmons is truly struggling with MH, then get help.

If a ploy, anyone connected or supportive of it should be ashamed of themselves. Only to be determined when they look in a mirror.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
roger_federer wrote:

I disagree with this. Giving into trade demands immediately usually doesn't play out well for teams, especially if a guy has multiple years left on his contract. Things are stormy now but that doesn't mean it won't all work out.

Fans tend to be prisoners of the moment; GMs less so, because they actually have to live with the consequences of their decisions.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject:

In the end though, from the GM's standpoint, the 76ers are in championship-now mode and this situation with Ben is acid erosion towards that end. If getting the best trade value for Simmons (or convincing him to stay) is the priority over the team going for it all this season, then sure, wait it out to see what happens.

I'm on record saying that Morey should've swallowed his (enormous) pride and made the trade with Indy for Brogdan and what was the #14th pick before the draft (EDIT: it was the 13th pick). Maybe he could've also snagged an extra future pick swap and Levert as well, and used all of the extra assets to trade for a decent vet.

I mean, Brogdan is a near all-star talent that can score, defend and handle play making as the replacement point guard, so him along with another vet (from an asset trade) would be infinitely better for the 76ers title chances right now than all of this Simmons drama that very well might not produce much better offers anytime soon.

Last edited by joeblow on Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
In the end though, from the GM's standpoint, the 76ers are in championship-now mode and this situation with Ben is acid erosion towards that end. If getting the best trade value for Simmons (or convincing him to stay) is the priority over the team going for it all this season, then sure, wait it out to see what happens.

I'm on record saying that Morey should've swallowed his (enormous) pride and made the trade with Indy for Brogdan and what was the #14th pick before the draft. Maybe he could've also snagged an extra future pick swap and Levert as well, and used all of the extra assets to trade for a decent vet.

I mean, Brogdan is a near all-star talent that can score, defend and handle play making as the replacement point guard, so him along with another vet (from an asset trade) would be infinitely better for the 76ers title chances right now than all of this Simmons drama that very well might not produce much better offers anytime soon.

Same question as I posed above.

Would you be happy with Brogdan, #14 and some extra assets for Davis?
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject:

What game is this???
Philly owner straight up not paying Simmons (legal), not trading him (bad returns, also legal) vs Simmons holding out, trying to recoup the lost salary via ‘medical’ exception (also legal)
what’s the end play here if there’s no good return for Simmons, could it be… a buyout??? A massive one I take it but has a team ready with a max contract, my money on Kings
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

what’s the end play here if there’s no good return for Simmons, could it be… a buyout???

I can't imagine the 76ers will buy out Simmons.

Could go a lot of ways, including Simmons returning to the team and playing as if nothing happened and the 76ers patiently waiting for a good offer.

It's not a given the situation will even be resolved this season.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
joeblow wrote:

I'm on record saying that Morey should've swallowed his (enormous) pride and made the trade with Indy for Brogdan and what was the #14th pick before the draft (EDIT: it was the 13th pick). Maybe he could've also snagged an extra future pick swap and Levert as well, and used all of the extra assets to trade for a decent vet.

Invalid question... not apples to apples at all. Brogdon and Simmons are PGs, which is why the 76ers could say they are still constructed in a balanced way to continue fighting for a championship this season (along with the trade for a vet with the extra assets). If we swapped AD for Brogdan it would kill our chances to win a ring this season because they fill literally opposite roles for a team.

But I'll still address your general point: would I trade AD for, say, a near-all star PF/C and tradable assets to get an extra vet role player? The answer is exactly what I described above as advice for Morey. If AD clearly does not intend to help a Laker team in a window to win NOW, then make the most of it and make the trade of an unmotivated "A" quality player for motivated "B" and "C" quality players. This is especially true when it is extremely unlikely another team wants to trade another "A" auality player back to us.

It's simple logic... with this plan to make the trade early on, you salvage the chance to make it all come together a win it all, even with a less than perfect resolution to this debacle. Morey's pride didn't let him do it (Brogdon can no longer be traded, and the #14 pick was used up (EDIT: it was the 13th pick)), so they have an infinitely less chance of winning it all this season with no reasonable trade of better value in view.

Not only are their 2022 championship plans pretty much gone, they are dragging out a ton of unwanted drama trashing the morale of the players and the city fans. For what realistic purpose? That's my followup question to you.

Last edited by joeblow on Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:

I'm on record saying that Morey should've swallowed his (enormous) pride and made the trade with Indy for Brogdan and what was the #14th pick before the draft. Maybe he could've also snagged an extra future pick swap and Levert as well, and used all of the extra assets to trade for a decent vet.

AD =/= Simmons

Also, that No. 14 pick just set a Pacers rookie record and is looking like a bonafide star now, so it's not as 1 sided as you think.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject:

i know the Buss family won't do it, but i would trade LeBron for Simmons plus future draft pick. have to at least think about this while LeBron still have values. Philly would be instant favorite over the Bucks in the East, and Lakers get back a LeBron replacement sans scoring, but Simmons is young, his size, defense and playmaking skills will be a perfect pair for AD going forward. Lakers by doing that deal may have a smaller chance to win this season and the next, but their title windows will be extended.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Guys i would trade for AD

Ja
booker
luka
trae
tatum
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

Ja
booker
luka
trae
tatum

Come on for Booker? Really?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

Ja
booker
luka
trae
tatum

What about AD for Siakam + FVV?
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject:

The next Simmons is on the horizon. His name is Zion.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
governator wrote:

what’s the end play here if there’s no good return for Simmons, could it be… a buyout???

I can't imagine the 76ers will buy out Simmons.

Could go a lot of ways, including Simmons returning to the team and playing as if nothing happened and the 76ers patiently waiting for a good offer.

It's not a given the situation will even be resolved this season.

Most likely but the burning bridge is collapsing (not yet tho)
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
The next Simmons is on the horizon. His name is Zion.

Only he’s a 300 pound Simmons
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
🚨 Breaking: The NBA is preparing for a massive story accusing #Suns owner Robert Sarver of racism, sexism and sexual harassment in a series of incidents, sources say. With enough evidence to support such claims, there’s a real chance the league would forcibly remove Sarver.

#Leakedemails
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:
🚨 Breaking: The NBA is preparing for a massive story accusing #Suns owner Robert Sarver of racism, sexism and sexual harassment in a series of incidents, sources say. With enough evidence to support such claims, there’s a real chance the league would forcibly remove Sarver.

#Leakedemails

Valuation for Suns per Forbes is 1.8B

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2021/10/18/the-nbas-most-valuable-teams-2021-22-new-york-knicks-lead-a-trio-now-worth-over-5-billion-each/
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

#Leakedemails

Valuation for Suns per Forbes is 1.8B

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2021/10/18/the-nbas-most-valuable-teams-2021-22-new-york-knicks-lead-a-trio-now-worth-over-5-billion-each/

Prob one of the trillionaires, Zuckerberg or Musk or Bezos
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject:

twisted wrote:
joeblow wrote:

AD =/= Simmons

Also, that No. 14 pick just set a Pacers rookie record and is looking like a bonafide star now, so it's not as 1 sided as you think.

My mistake above... the Pacers offered the 13th pick instead of the 14th pick (which is even better). I edited my posts on this topic with the correction.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Unfortunattely Philly will lose in the end...they may make a point of penalizing Simmons but he'll get traded regardless. He will never put his 100% in a Philly uniform ever again, and he'll pout and throw a tantrum until he gets his way.

They “lost” when Simmons demanded a trade and refused to come back. That’s for sure. They will eventually trade him. The question is whether they manage to get a good return for him.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject:

I really wish we can swap Westbrook for Ben Simmons.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Philly can take solace in the fact that they’re 1-1 and their only loss wasnt a beatdown
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7064, 7065, 7066 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 7065 of 8560
Jump to: