OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7061, 7062, 7063 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
You can plug Lebron, Davis, Harden, Jokic, Durant ANYWHERE and you’d see beautiful basketball. You need to specifically cater to Westbrook’s games due to his massive flaws. Houston had to trade away their center so they could open the paint for Westbrook. What other “all time great” requires that much maintenance? Embiid punishes teams in the paint yet he developed his shooting and face-up game to accommodate for Simmons. Amazing that Westbrook never developed his game, on the contrary, his shooting and defense got worse at the expense of OMFGTRIPLEDOUBLES.

But yet his teams still won. There is something about having a player that can enforce their game on another team and come out on top even at a subpar level of efficiency. I think back to a similar player in Allen Iverson who drove that 76er team.

His teams won in Regular season that too while having all stars like Harden, Beal next to him. he was disaster in playoffs. He will be the same with lakers.

Infact he will be a disaster in regular season too with Lakers because they already have AD, Dwight, THT, DAJ and Bron who lives in the paint
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
You can plug Lebron, Davis, Harden, Jokic, Durant ANYWHERE and you’d see beautiful basketball. You need to specifically cater to Westbrook’s games due to his massive flaws. Houston had to trade away their center so they could open the paint for Westbrook. What other “all time great” requires that much maintenance? Embiid punishes teams in the paint yet he developed his shooting and face-up game to accommodate for Simmons. Amazing that Westbrook never developed his game, on the contrary, his shooting and defense got worse at the expense of OMFGTRIPLEDOUBLES.

But yet his teams still won. There is something about having a player that can enforce their game on another team and come out on top even at a subpar level of efficiency. I think back to a similar player in Allen Iverson who drove that 76er team.

Won what? Like it or not, it's a legitimate question. A guy like Westbrook may be a floor-raiser, in that he can get a team to .500-ish or a little better. The Wizards were 34-38 with Beal and Westbrook. He did a little better with Harden in Houston and George in OKC, but neither of those teams were title threats. That's brings us to the point: A guy who is a floor-raiser may not have a lot of value to a team that is trying to raise its ceiling.

We need to find a way to apply Westbrook to our ceiling (a title), not our floor (just making the playoffs). Westbrook has the second highest career usage rate in the history of the league. That's fine for a floor-raiser. But he's on a team with Lebron and Davis, and we aren't concerned with raising the floor. We don't want him using up the possessions. We want him to add something to Lebron and Davis, not take it away.

So that's the challenge. We need to use Westbrook in a way that he has never been used in his career. It may all work out in the end, but it's going to be ugly at times.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject:

roger_federer wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:

His teams won in Regular season that too while having all stars like Harden, Beal next to him. he was disaster in playoffs. He will be the same with lakers.

Infact he will be a disaster in regular season too with Lakers because they already have AD, Dwight, THT, DAJ and Bron who lives in the paint

Well what did Kobe win without another Star/Superstar next to him? Nothing. No star wins on their own even at Kobe's level.

Also Kobe's Shaq and Kobe's Pau teams were filled with really good seasoned vets who could play their designated roles pretty similar to the Lebron/AD title year. This year TBD.

As for RW being a disaster then that is the coaches burden to carry. It is their responsibility to put each player in position to succeed regardless of circumstance. I will at least give it 2-3 months before declaring a disaster especially when you have 12 new players on the roster, injuries from the outset and a new offensive philosophy.

We all want instant gratification but I would hope the majority of us realize there needs to be an adjustment period given the issues I just stated above.
Swagron12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
2019 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Hield looks sexy after the first game. Yup, Rob blew it. Jeanie is stunted for keeping Rob around for so long just like how she kept her bro Jim around for so long. It's annoying dealing with an inexperienced owner.

Are we gonna do this every time Hield, KCP, Caruso, Kuzma, Randle, BI, Nance, Clarkson, Lonzo, Lopez, or D'lo have a good game?

Unfortunately I have a feeling it will continue.

It will. This forum is pretty lame. Too many uneducated “fans” lol.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:

Won what? Like it or not, it's a legitimate question. A guy like Westbrook may be a floor-raiser, in that he can get a team to .500-ish or a little better. The Wizards were 34-38 with Beal and Westbrook. He did a little better with Harden in Houston and George in OKC, but neither of those teams were title threats. That's brings us to the point: A guy who is a floor-raiser may not have a lot of value to a team that is trying to raise its ceiling.

We need to find a way to apply Westbrook to our ceiling (a title), not our floor (just making the playoffs). Westbrook has the second highest career usage rate in the history of the league. That's fine for a floor-raiser. But he's on a team with Lebron and Davis, and we aren't concerned with raising the floor. We don't want him using up the possessions. We want him to add something to Lebron and Davis, not take it away.

So that's the challenge. We need to use Westbrook in a way that he has never been used in his career. It may all work out in the end, but it's going to be ugly at times.

He won with a talented but young OKC team to get to the title series and be contenders every year until KD left. Outside of Beal the remaining Wizard players were littered with young prospects and non-descript vets. Who expected them to even reach the playoffs? As for Harden in Houston and George in OKC i never mentioned title threats but they did win didn't they?

I made a post a week or 2 ago which listed winning %'s for various players. Kind of ironic RW and KD were both at 60% considering KD's 3 years on the GSW.

I realize there are different levels of stars/superstars and what degree they can carry a team and RW for me is on the low end of this equation imo. However he does win maybe not titles but I can say this for many past and some current superstars as you are well aware of.

As for the last part of your comment, I posted above that the responsibility is on the coaches to put their players in position to succeed. Yes the player may also need to conform to changing their game but at least I will give it a period of time before exclaiming this has been a failure.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
roger_federer wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:

Well what did Kobe win without another Star/Superstar next to him? Nothing. No star wins on their own even at Kobe's level.

Also Kobe's Shaq and Kobe's Pau teams were filled with really good seasoned vets who could play their designated roles pretty similar to the Lebron/AD title year. This year TBD.

As for RW being a disaster then that is the coaches burden to carry. It is their responsibility to put each player in position to succeed regardless of circumstance. I will at least give it 2-3 months before declaring a disaster especially when you have 12 new players on the roster, injuries from the outset and a new offensive philosophy.

We all want instant gratification but I would hope the majority of us realize there needs to be an adjustment period given the issues I just stated above.

Are we going to pretend Westbrook didn’t play alongside Kevin Durant, James Harden, Bradley Beal and Paul George? All of whom were in their primes.

Westbrook’s only postseason success came playing alongside a legitimate top 5 all time offensive talent in Durant. He was busy getting sent home by the Utah Jazz in the 1st round and putting up all time awful efficiency against the Sixers without him.

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Daryl Morey on the radio just now: "People should buckle in. This is going to go a long time."
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
roger_federer wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:

Are we going to pretend Westbrook didn’t play alongside Kevin Durant, James Harden, Bradley Beal and Paul George? All of whom were in their primes.

Westbrook’s only postseason success came playing alongside a legitimate top 5 all time offensive talent in Durant. He was busy getting sent home by the Utah Jazz in the 1st round and putting up all time awful efficiency against the Sixers without him.

Trying to measure how much talent an individual player has around him is always difficult.

I don't think you can make a strong case that Westbrook has been deprived of a chance to win by lack of talent around him.

When it comes to teammates, he's been dealt a pretty good hand.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
He won with a talented but young OKC team to get to the title series and be contenders every year until KD left. Outside of Beal the remaining Wizard players were littered with young prospects and non-descript vets. Who expected them to even reach the playoffs? As for Harden in Houston and George in OKC i never mentioned title threats but they did win didn't they?

Again, win what? Did his teams win enough games to make the playoffs? Sure. Did they win a playoff series? Ironically, the only playoff series that Westbrook won after Durant left was against OKC, in seven games, as a Rocket. He's a floor-raiser. That's not a bad thing, but we need something different from him. We may get there, but there are going to be some ugly stretches in the interim.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:
Daryl Morey on the radio just now: "People should buckle in. This is going to go a long time."

I'm not convinced that it will, but that's exactly what Morey should be saying.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

Again, win what? Did his teams win enough games to make the playoffs? Sure. Did they win a playoff series? Ironically, the only playoff series that Westbrook won after Durant left was against OKC, in seven games, as a Rocket. He's a floor-raiser. That's not a bad thing, but we need something different from him. We may get there, but there are going to be some ugly stretches in the interim.

Again you are belaboring a point I wasn't making and I will leave it at that.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
There is something about having a player that can enforce their game on another team and come out on top even at a subpar level of efficiency. I think back to a similar player in Allen Iverson who drove that 76er team.

It's interesting you bring up Iverson, because I don't perceive him as having had much team success.

He played in the league 14 years. He missed the playoff 6 times. He lost in the first round 3 times. He lost in the second 4 times. He lost in the finals once.

So the idea "he came out on top" rests mostly on making the finals. The east was fairly weak; and they survived two 7-game series in the playoffs, before the Lakers steamrolled them.

You could also argue the 76ers success that year was more about Dikembe joining the team in mid season and fortifying the defense.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject:

I'll hand it to Russ, he has some cajones. Everyone watched how dominant AD and Lebron can be with the right role players. No one, going forward, will question whether those two can get it done.
Russ, however, will receive most of the blame if it's a disaster. And he knows that.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
There is something about having a player that can enforce their game on another team and come out on top even at a subpar level of efficiency. I think back to a similar player in Allen Iverson who drove that 76er team.

It's interesting you bring up Iverson, because I don't perceive him as having had much team success.

He played in the league 14 years. He missed the playoff 6 times. He lost in the first round 3 times. He lost in the second 4 times. He lost in the finals once.

So the idea "he came out on top" rests mostly on making the finals. The east was fairly weak; and they survived two 7-game series in the playoffs, before the Lakers steamrolled them.

You could also argue the 76ers success that year was more about Dikembe joining the team in mid season and fortifying the defense.

You can correct me if I am wrong but he essentially was the lone superstar on his team for the majority of his career. We all saw how Kobe fared when neither Shaq or Pau was by his side. Maybe also similar to how Jason Kidd carried his teams although he had better teammates. Maybe Top wasn't the right word to use but his teams won when he had a modicum of talent around him.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Russ should potentially be blamed if it is a disaster. Gutting the roster and completely eliminating flexibility will be on him.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
activeverb wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

You can correct me if I am wrong but he essentially was the lone superstar on his team for the majority of his career. We all saw how Kobe fared when neither Shaq or Pau was by his side. Maybe also similar to how Jason Kidd carried his teams although he had better teammates. Maybe Top wasn't the right word to use but his teams won when he had a modicum of talent around him.

The problem is you are using "won" in such a vague way that it isn't clear what you are even trying to say.

Iverson got to the finals once in 14 years. Westbrook made it to the finals once and to the conference finals a couple of times.

Is that really "winning"?

I mean, did Patrick Ewing, Reggie Miller, Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, and Ralph Sampson all "win" because they made it to the finals?

Now your position might actually be that Westbrook and Iverson's teams outperformed what you might reasonably expect them to do based on the talent around them. If that is what you mean, I wouldn't agree with you.

Last edited by activeverb on Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
Russ should potentially be blamed if it is a disaster. Gutting the roster and completely eliminating flexibility will be on him.

How is that on him and not the front office?
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject:

There's no doubt that a team with ideal fits around Russ have a very limited ceiling unless you happen to have high-efficiency, low-usage unicorns like KD or Klay. The hope seems to be that D'Antoni unlocked the code once they traded Capela and went all in with small-ball and parting the lane. Other than health, our ultimate success will be dictated by the synergy of our closing lineups which we all know will be with AD at the 5. It will definitely be ugly at times but is not outside the realm of reason that it can work.

I also don't totally buy that RW can't succeed without a floor-spacing big; he did it with Steven Adams all those years. Again, the ceiling is obviously limited but we're talking about those 10-15 non-Lebron/AD minutes where I would consider it to be a success if we could play on the level of a lower-tier playoff team.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
activeverb wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

The problem is you are using "won" in such a vague way that it isn't clear what you are even trying to say.

Iverson got to the finals once in 14 years. Westbrook made it to the finals once and to the conference finals a couple of times.

Is that really "winning"?

I mean, did Patrick Ewing, Reggie Miller, Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, and Ralph Sampson all "win" because they made it to the finals?

Now your position might actually be that Westbrook and Iverson's teams outperformed what you might reasonably expect them to do based on the talent around them. If that is what you mean, I wouldn't agree with you.

I guess you missed the part where I compared RW and KD's winning %. He WON games nothing more nothing less. Is that still too vague?

I am not anal in judging a players talent or career success whether they WON championships or not. I would say the players you listed is "winning" players wouldn't you. They just went up against other "winning" players who were better than them individually or as a team and never won a championship. Can't the same be said for Dame, Jokic and Harden? Is Steph not a winning player just because he did not have Klay?

Sure Iverson and RW's teams outperformed given the talent around them but who was responsible for that? I guess Iverson and RW by playing "winning" basketball.

You can continue with your championship and playoff narrative but I have said my peace.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
There's no doubt that a team with ideal fits around Russ have a very limited ceiling unless you happen to have high-efficiency, low-usage unicorns like KD or Klay. The hope seems to be that D'Antoni unlocked the code once they traded Capela and went all in with small-ball and parting the lane. Other than health, our ultimate success will be dictated by the synergy of our closing lineups which we all know will be with AD at the 5. It will definitely be ugly at times but is not outside the realm of reason that it can work.

I also don't totally buy that RW can't succeed without a floor-spacing big; he did it with Steven Adams all those years. Again, the ceiling is obviously limited but we're talking about those 10-15 non-Lebron/AD minutes where I would consider it to be a success if we could play on the level of a lower-tier playoff team.

Pretty much agree with your sentiments. Possibly one difference between Russ's previous teams and this one is he realizes he is not the top dog on this team. I don't believe he has ever felt this way before and not sure he does now but being new and with Lebron I hope he realizes this is the time to adapt his play to both Lebron and AD and not force his play.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:

Russ didn't negotiate the deal. He just wanted to come here. The blame would be on Rob. Sure some blame for Bron/AD, but it's not their job to be the GM. The ultimate decision is on Rob. Anybody could have told you Russ is a bad fit.

I hope Frank can figure it out, but that is not an easy puzzle to figure out. Rob built the team.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Westbrook for Simmons And 3 firsts
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
I guess you missed the part where I compared RW and KD's winning %. He WON games nothing more nothing less. Is that still too vague?

I guess you mean his teams were successful in the regular season. Fair enough.

PlantedTanks wrote:
Sure Iverson and RW's teams outperformed given the talent around them but who was responsible for that? I guess Iverson and RW by playing "winning" basketball..

I personally wouldn't agree with you.

In fact, I think Westbrook's teams have underperformed based on the talent around him.

I think Iverson only had only team that you could argue "outperformed" its talent. I'm not sure if I'd even agree with that. The 76ers were a defense-first team that barely got through the east playoffs against teams that were roughly equivalent to them.

So I understand your position now. I just don't agree with you.

In fact, I'm of the opinion that Iverson and Westbrook are talented athletes who actually playing a losing brand of basketball, and as a result their teams achieved less than I think they should have given their talent.

That said, I acknowledge that the amount of "talent" a team has is in the eye of the beholder.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:

Philly would be asking the Lakers for the 1sts

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
defense wrote:

Philly would be asking the Lakers for the 1sts

Just did NBA trade machine.

WB/Doumbouya and 2023 & 2034 2nd round picks for Simmons/Seth is the only trade that works.

The ONLY picks Lakers have is 2023, 2024, and 2028 SECOND round picks.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7061, 7062, 7063 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 7062 of 8560
Jump to: