OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7008, 7009, 7010 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:
To celebrate Bibigo Korean Foods (yummy 🍱) being the new Lakers sponsor:

Tzuyu from K-pop girl group TWICE dancing in her Kobe jersey.

Wow! How come I’ve never seen this before?

Lakers X Twice

Should’ve shared it on the K-pop 🌎 Donination Thread: http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=191397

Ok I’ll post it on there too: TWICE x LAKERS performance.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Chick's Magic Johnson wrote:
Ben Simmons likely has enough money to sit out a full season.

You might be surprised by that. Anyway, if he sits out the season, that's $30M that he will never get back.

I remember when The Wizard (Gus Williams) sat out in 80-81. Dude was the best guard in the league not named Magic Johnson and had led the Sonics to an NBA Title in 78-79. When he came back, he put up great numbers - but he didn't seem as good. Of course the league had changed tremendously with Magic & Bird coming in, too.

Saddest part of the story was Gus' younger brother, Ray. Ray was a 20 ppg scorer with a 10-year NBA career, but ended up homeless, living in his car in his 50s. Not from drugs or gambling, just bad luck and bad money management.

I remember Gus, but I don't remember Ray. That's a sad story. Anyway, if I recall correctly, Gus Williams was holding out because of some issue about whether he was a free agent. I think it got decided by an arbitrator. This was all before the modern structure of the CBA. It may have been a Curt Flood/Andy Messersmith type issue. I read about it somewhere, possibly in some retrospective about labor disputes in the NBA.

Gus is one of those guys who had the misfortune of having his best seasons just before the NBA really took off. The younger generations won't remember him at all, and they'll think it's weird that the Sonics and Bullets met in back to back Finals. Magic and Bird arrived right after that, and Stern became commissioner in 1984. It's amazing how quickly things changed after that. When the Celtics and Rockets played in the 1981 Finals, some of the games were still televised on tape delay. Four years later, Nike released the first Air Jordans. If Gus had just been 10 years younger, he would have been right in the middle of the boom.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

You might be surprised by that. Anyway, if he sits out the season, that's $30M that he will never get back.

Not really because he gets 16.5 mill upfront next week so they’ll have to take it from his next check. If they let this drag out Embiid will demand a trade

They have several years of checks to take it from. And he won't get it back.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject:

The obvious Simmons trade to me is Siakam. Same salary, Pascal is friends and countrymen with Embiid, and hasn’t had the best relationship with Nurse. If I’m Masai, I try to get a deal straight up, but would put in a bit more to get things done.

Simmons, Anunoby, Barnes, Van Vleet, Precious, Trent Jr, and Dragic, with Nurse at the helm…..that’s not a bad squad.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
The obvious Simmons trade to me is Siakam. Same salary, Pascal is friends and countrymen with Embiid, and hasn’t had the best relationship with Nurse. If I’m Masai, I try to get a deal straight up, but would put in a bit more to get things done.

Simmons, Anunoby, Barnes, Van Vleet, Precious, Trent Jr, and Dragic, with Nurse at the helm…..that’s not a bad squad.

I agree with this 100%.

Personally, I am not high on Siakim at all. I actually think he's one of the most overrated players in the league and I think Simmons makes Toronto much more versatile and complete while Siakim gives Philly a 2nd/3rd guy who fits decently well.

I think GM's are holding back knowing eventually Morey will have to cave and they can get a steal of a deal but that's a deal Toronto should try to make happen.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Not really because he gets 16.5 mill upfront next week so they’ll have to take it from his next check. If they let this drag out Embiid will demand a trade

The upfront money would be contingent on him providing services. If Simmons withheld those services for no valid reason, I imagine the 76ers could take him to court or arbitration and recover the money from him ultimately, if they so chose.

As far as Embiid, he is under contract for four more years, so the 76ers really don't have to worry about his trade demands at this point. It's not ideal if he gets upset but they have a long time to smooth things over with him.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:27 am    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
This is beginning to piss me off, my news feed today says Lakers interested in MONTE ELLIS??

WE NEED a 3/4 not another (bleep) 1/2. It's as if Rob took off on vacation the past week and left an intern in charge.

Maybe Monta will play center for us lol
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:46 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

The upfront money would be contingent on him providing services. If Simmons withheld those services for no valid reason, I imagine the 76ers could take him to court or arbitration and recover the money from him ultimately, if they so chose.

As far as Embiid, he is under contract for four more years, so the 76ers really don't have to worry about his trade demands at this point. It's not ideal if he gets upset but they have a long time to smooth things over with him.

No active I don’t believe it works that way you can’t withhold money predicting how much he’s gonna play. They have a contractual agreement to pay him like that. This isn’t going to end well for Philly. They could lose both stars measuring duck sizes.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:23 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

No active I don’t believe it works that way you can’t withhold money predicting how much he’s gonna play. They have a contractual agreement to pay him like that. This isn’t going to end well for Philly. They could lose both stars measuring duck sizes.

I wasn't saying they could withhold the payment from Simmons. However, if they are giving him payment for half the season in advance and he refuses to play, they might be able to sue him to get the money back from him.

There are certainly precedence for doing that. But someone who knows the law of this area better than you and I would have to comment on that.

I have no idea how this is going to end for the 76ers or Simmons. I'm just enjoying the show of it all
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:41 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Car54 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I wasn't saying they could withhold the payment from Simmons. However, if they are giving him payment for half the season in advance and he refuses to play, they might be able to sue him to get the money back from him.

There are certainly precedence for doing that. But someone who knows the law of this area better than you and I would have to comment on that.

I have no idea how this is going to end for the 76ers or Simmons. I'm just enjoying the show of it all

They can’t because they can’t predict how many games he miss. What they could do is take it from the next check.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:48 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Car54 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

They can’t because they can’t predict how many games he miss. What they could do is take it from the next check.

I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying. Anyways, we'll see what happens
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:51 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Car54 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Car54 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying. Anyways, we'll see what happens

If you’re saying after it’s all over they wouldn’t need to involve a court room they’ll be able to fine him and he’s gonna have to pay it.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:14 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/nbcsphilly/status/1440389399645081608?s=21

Somebody is BIG mad!!!
laker_guerilla
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject:

It may have already been obvious, but Vogel on the LakeShow podcast (Geeter and Ali from Spectrum) may have let slip that Wes Matthews is not going to be getting the final roster spot. He was talking about defensive team speed and said, “We lost Dennis, kcp, Alex, Wes Matthews, guys like that”

So for anyone who still had him on the list with Ennis, et al, you can cross him off.

Comment is at about the 15:00 mark https://overcast.fm/+r3D0gTD0o. Actually a really enjoyable listen overall. I have to say, I’m glad we ended up with Frank instead of Lue and Monty, and that he got a well-deserved extension.

Last edited by laker_guerilla on Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:30 am; edited 1 time in total
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/nbcsphilly/status/1440389399645081608?s=21

Somebody is BIG mad!!!

They went from recruiting Lebron in 2018 and looking down on the Lakers…why would he join that trash organization?

Fast forward to 2021-22.

Lakers:
1 Chip (so far).
AD to long term contract
Big 3
Young, competitive players signing for under market value.
Vet min ring chasers

Sixers:
Can’t get past 2nd round
Trust the process star can’t stay healthy
Klutch star wants out
Coach with most blown 3-1 leads
GM who won’t make a trade unless he feels like he is fleecing other team

King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject:

laker_guerilla wrote:
It may have already been obvious, but Vogel on the LakeShow podcast (Geeter and Ali from Spectrum) may have let slip that Wes Matthews is not going to be getting the final roster spot. He was talking about defensive team speed and said, “We lost Dennis, kcp, Alex, Wes Matthews, guys like that”

So for anyone who still had him on the list with Ennis, et al, you can cross him off.

Comment is at about the 15:00 mark https://overcast.fm/+r3D0gTD0o

No brainer....I doubt anyone signs Wes.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Car54 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Car54 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

If you’re saying after it’s all over they wouldn’t need to involve a court room they’ll be able to fine him and he’s gonna have to pay it.

Lol, players and teams don't go outside of the Collective Bargaining Agreement to the courts to settle disputes. They are obligated to keep it internal.

Think about it: there are sometimes flagrant fouls committed so egregiously that if someone else did it in "real life", they'd be arrested. With the CBA they get fined/suspended instead.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

I really don't know the answer to this. This is not an ordinary breach of contract situation. It's governed by the contract, the CBA, and the league Constitution, and the outcome would probably be decided by an arbitrator. I know generally that the Sixers could suspend him and impose a hefty fine, or that they can give him smaller fines without a suspension. I don't know whether the Sixers are obligated to make the 50% payment if he no-shows for training camp. I'd need to read the documents to answer that, and the contract is not publicly available.

What I am hearing is that the owners as a group are fed up with hold outs and trade demands by guys with big contracts. There may be pressure on Adam Silver to make an example out of Simmons, but naturally Silver is not going to want to do this. Nonetheless, if the Sixers don't want to suspend Simmons, Silver may have the power to bring down the hammer on him. Again, I'd have to go read the CBA and Constitution to figure out what authority he has, and it's not worth the time unless it looks like this might really happen.

In these sorts of matters, my sympathies usually lie with employees and labor. In this case, I've gotten sick of prima donna athletes who sign big contracts then go into a hissy fit when their ego gets bruised. The Deshaun Watson thing left a bad taste in my mouth. He threw a hissy fit because he didn't feel that he got input into the team's hiring of a new general manager. Seriously? Ben Simmons is throwing a hissy fit because he exposed all of his weaknesses in the playoffs, made an iconic bad play, and got called out by his coach and teammate. So now he won't play with those meanies any more. I am not one of the Boomers who likes to belittle the younger generations. I have too clear of recollection of what we were really like when we were young. But Jeez, this plays right into the stereotype of the "participation trophy" generations.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:

I really don't know the answer to this. This is not an ordinary breach of contract situation. It's governed by the contract, the CBA, and the league Constitution, and the outcome would probably be decided by an arbitrator. I know generally that the Sixers could suspend him and impose a hefty fine, or that they can give him smaller fines without a suspension. I don't know whether the Sixers are obligated to make the 50% payment if he no-shows for training camp. I'd need to read the documents to answer that, and the contract is not publicly available.

What I am hearing is that the owners as a group are fed up with hold outs and trade demands by guys with big contracts. There may be pressure on Adam Silver to make an example out of Simmons, but naturally Silver is not going to want to do this. Nonetheless, if the Sixers don't want to suspend Simmons, Silver may have the power to bring down the hammer on him. Again, I'd have to go read the CBA and Constitution to figure out what authority he has, and it's not worth the time unless it looks like this might really happen.

In these sorts of matters, my sympathies usually lie with employees and labor. In this case, I've gotten sick of prima donna athletes who sign big contracts then go into a hissy fit when their ego gets bruised. The Deshaun Watson thing left a bad taste in my mouth. He threw a hissy fit because he didn't feel that he got input into the team's hiring of a new general manager. Seriously? Ben Simmons is throwing a hissy fit because he exposed all of his weaknesses in the playoffs, made an iconic bad play, and got called out by his coach and teammate. So now he won't play with those meanies any more. I am not one of the Boomers who likes to belittle the younger generations. I have too clear of recollection of what we were really like when we were young. But Jeez, this plays right into the stereotype of the "participation trophy" generations.

Are you saying you’re ok with how Doc and Embiid handled the loss?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:

That summarizes it well. I don't know what the CBA and contracts say about this, and whether they could go to arbitration to recover the salary.

I agree with you on the main point. Simmons signed a contract that pays him an obscene amount of money. He should suck it up and be a professional. It's a warning sign for his future career that he is pulling this stunt rather than owning up to his failures.

He wants his freedom? Offer to cancel the contract. Never will happen, of course.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject:

Christian Clark wrote:
Sep 22, 2021 • Reply • Retweet • Favorite

How does this clown keep his job after trading Anthony Davis?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject:

Zion = that’s all folks. However I think he stays on the east coast and goes to the Knicks.

It’s funny…Silver gave them a franchise player, they got a tremendous amount of assets from the Lakers for AD and they still managed to (bleep) it up.

Just an incompetent organization.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:

That summarizes it well. I don't know what the CBA and contracts say about this, and whether they could go to arbitration to recover the salary.

I agree with you on the main point. Simmons signed a contract that pays him an obscene amount of money. He should suck it up and be a professional. It's a warning sign for his future career that he is pulling this stunt rather than owning up to his failures.

He wants his freedom? Offer to cancel the contract. Never will happen, of course.

The anger is misplaced. It's just the business of sports:

Babe Ruth (held out until he was traded to the Yankees - I know you'll want a link for that https://www.ozy.com/true-and-stories/when-babe-ruth-wanted-a-raise-this-was-what-he-did/94538/)

John Elway - refused to report to Indianapolis

Eli Manning - refused to report to San Diego

Mark Messier - held out and forced a trade to the NY Rangers

Rick Barry - broke legal contracts in the NBA AND ABA, held out from a team coached by his father-in-law

And on and on.

People who have leverage use it. There's always the knee jerk "they get millions to play a kid's game and should be grateful" reaction - but few discuss the oligarch's and robber barons who own the teams and make windfall profits.

As to the "it's a valid contract" argument - depends on your leverage. One very famous action hero star signed a 3-picture deal and then refused to do the 2nd picture until they redid his contract. Kim Basinger pulled out of Boxing Helena, was sued for breach of contract and lost.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Are you saying you’re ok with how Doc and Embiid handled the loss?

I’m saying that they didn’t do anything sufficient to warrant Simmons’ hissy fit. Oh no! They bruised his widdle ego. How dare anyone throw shade at him after he embarrassed himself on the big stage?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:

Lol, players and teams don't go outside of the Collective Bargaining Agreement to the courts to settle disputes. They are obligated to keep it internal.

No one was suggesting taking anything outside the CBA. The question is what remedies the CBA and players contracts give teams in this situation, such as going to court or arbitration.

joeblow wrote:

Think about it: there are sometimes flagrant fouls committed so egregiously that if someone else did it in "real life", they'd be arrested. With the CBA they get fined/suspended instead.

As I understand it, what you're talking about here has nothing to do with the CBA but state and federal laws about consent. When someone agrees to play a sport, they effectively consent to physical contact consistent with the rules of the game. By stepping onto the court, the players consent to the possibilities of being fouled. Generally, even a "flagrant foul" falls within the parameters of the physical conduct players have agreed to, legally speaking.

Theoretically (and in reality) players have been arrested and sued for physical contact that goes outside the bounds of the sport. For example, Rudy Tomjanovich sued Kermit Washington for the famous incident where Washington punched him during the game, and they settled out of court. Additional, players have been arrested for attacking referees, since referees do not implicitly consent to physical contact with players to the same degree that players agree to contact with other players.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7008, 7009, 7010 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 7009 of 8560
Jump to: