Question: Lakers plan hypo - No Lebron, just PG now. Klay and Butler later.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Question: Lakers plan hypo - No Lebron, just PG now. Klay and Butler later.

Is PG this summer, Klay and Jimmy an option the next? No Lebron. Keep Lonzo, Kuz, (with Ingram/Randle I am not sure but put that aside).

My theory is based on a big assumption. I am getting really really impressed with PG of late. I was pretty big on him at Indy, then disappointed with how he didn't step up in the Cle playoffs 2-4 years ago, can't remember. But now I see how he's scoring at times in a dominant fashion.
The big assumption is that he IS then a dominant #1 player, better than other #1 top players at that time in the playoffs 2019 and 2020, Lebron, Harden, and challenging Kawhi,KD,Giannis, Harden as the best player.

Relatively younger without Lebron, and young guys won't be fully ready by Finals push 2019 playfoffs anyway, even with another year and a PG tutoring. So now you get a great shooter, great 2 way EVERYWHERE, height, experience, toughness, youth/prime combos, fantastic mentoring, and with Klay, championship experience.

Any reality here?

If reality, any solid probability here?
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Yes please
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Ive always been hesitant on Lebron coming by the simple fact that he is already on the downswing of his prime and he will be out of prime by the time the Warriors dominance ends. Plus he will demand win now moves in a futile attempt that have us coming up short and starting from ground zero in a few years.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject:

If PG13 is coming here without any other max FA, of course you do it. But question is would he?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
If PG13 is coming here without any other max FA, of course you do it. But question is would he?

Without another top 15 player? None. This was Mitch and Jim's failure at its core.

Last edited by greenfrog on Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject:

i can't see lebron being the plan anymore (if ever). Laker fans were literally on edge when they took over which i could see them going all in for lebron.

But now, with fans WANTING to see development and their new ability to provide that; they must see lebron is a low % for one chip. They must see the value in other FA's to create the next dynasty. or at least try to.

and that won't happen with lebron. He's still a physical freak, but just look at the rest of the banana boat, lebron is just half a step behind them.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Question: Lakers plan hypo - No Lebron, just PG now. Klay and Butler later.

focus wrote:
Is PG this summer, Klay and Jimmy an option the next? No Lebron. Keep Lonzo, Kuz, (with Ingram/Randle I am not sure but put that aside).

My theory is based on a big assumption. I am getting really really impressed with PG of late. I was pretty big on him at Indy, then disappointed with how he didn't step up in the Cle playoffs 2-4 years ago, can't remember. But now I see how he's scoring at times in a dominant fashion.
The big assumption is that he IS then a dominant #1 player, better than other #1 top players at that time in the playoffs 2019 and 2020, Lebron, Harden, and challenging Kawhi,KD,Giannis, Harden as the best player.

Relatively younger without Lebron, and young guys won't be fully ready by Finals push 2019 playfoffs anyway, even with another year and a PG tutoring. So now you get a great shooter, great 2 way EVERYWHERE, height, experience, toughness, youth/prime combos, fantastic mentoring, and with Klay, championship experience.

Any reality here?

If reality, any solid probability here?

Too many X factors -- how will their teams do in the playoffs, how will our guys develop, how much will their current teams be willing to pay, and on and on and on.

I don't see how anyone can give you a probability other than pulling numbers out of thin air. I mean, I doubt any of those guys know for sure what they're going to do; and if they don't, how can we?
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject:

The way Magic was stuttering around at his press conference led me to think he was only getting one... He'd say things like maybe we sign two and then back track like he might only get one. If he was intentionally lying, it was an incredible job of obfuscation.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Don't forget Kawhi. Rob & Magic specifically said the capspace also helps them maybe trade for an All-Star.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject:

I've been talking about getting PG and Klay for a little while now.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject:

This is my dream scenario but I don't swee it happening.

Unless PG and Klay have been talking way ahead of time a la Lebron/Wade/Bosh did at the 2008 Olympics, I don't think PG13 will come here alone. These guys these days don't want the pressure of being the one guy.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Unless Ingram can play the 4 he's probably on his way out as well..
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

Unless PG and Klay have been talking way ahead of time a la Lebron/Wade/Bosh did at the 2008 Olympics, I don't think PG13 will come here alone. These guys these days don't want the pressure of being the one guy.

And that's the irony in all this drooling. Those guys won't take you to the promise land unless our own core of Lonzo/Ingram/Kuz drastically improve. They will help us be competive though. Lebron is the only guy who can really take our team as is, without any improvements, to the playoffs.
RoyalPurple8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Dont know if George comes here by himself? Why would he leave Westbrook? The best player he has ever played with.
RoyalPurple8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Lakesh0wtime wrote:
Unless Ingram can play the 4 he's probably on his way out as well..

Lebron should play the 4
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

That's the key assumption I start with, that PG is starting to embrace a view of himself as THE leader, and therefore, wants to come here and take that pressure, finally. That LA pressure, too, not that Indy pressure (I guess), where he didn't prove to be capable.

Otherwise, even the potential is merely solid or #5-8 playoff spot. Unless it's Kuzma, I do not see a transformative superstar in the other great young players. And I have a hard time seeing Kuzma that level too (though Steph and Kawhii, and Giannis - I did not know then they'd be this great).

So then these are very good players a la Lilliard or a Alridge who can't quite, by themselves as the leaders, do what Laker fans expect, i.e. get you to real contender level.

Anyway, my first 'reality' question was more about salary cap-wise was this even feasible, the PG, wait and Klay and Butler. The second was about, given that, would this even work on the court as a viable plan.

Forgetting about Kawhi was a big mistake. I would love to have that guy over any of the three others, assuming that he is definitely fully recovered and not affected going forward by his mysterious injury. I think he and PG would play same spot anyway, come to think of it, even in positionless hoops.

Typing all this up, one thing has become clear. It is critical to get at least one great shooter. Even in this scenario, we would still have only one. I am sure guys will get better but threes dominate. Spurs won playing some of the best basketball I ever saw several years ago I guess without a brilliant shooter.

I'm just rambling procrastinating my work at this point, aren't I? I am overly excited. Exiting.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: