The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 171, 172, 173 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject:

For me The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is really enjoyable.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:51 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
I have never seen a Taika Waititi film I have liked. I have never seen a Taika Waititi film I have hated.

His output is fine.

Finally watched JoJo Rabbit . Bad movie. Hot Shots Part Deux has more to say about war and is much funnier.

You must have mistaken this for the "hot take" thread.

The post belongs in both threads. I think it goes from inoffensively mediocre to bad movie given the twee manner in which it attempts to engage with its subject matter - Waititi settles on the intellectual bankruptcy of Nazism while pussyfooting around the social, material, and human horrors of the Nazi fascist regime knowing that his audience will color in the darker stuff so he can dabble in the lighter stuff (which is never particularly funny).

I pose to you, as well, the Seven Beauties challenge: why do you think JoJo Rabbit is a better, funnier film than Lina's masterpiece? They're both Academy Award nominated anti-fascist satires - how do they compare to you?

HA! Interesting how you changed the narrative from a piece of crap '90's parody film with Charlie Sheen to a '70's Italian film nominated for multiple Oscars and starring Giancarlo Giannini.

There was plenty of darkness in Jojo, and brutally so. As for the humor, if you think that an entirely unoriginal sequel to an equally unoriginal spoof film was more clever and insightful than Rabbit, more power to ya.

More power to me indeed. Let me know your thoughts about "Seven Beauties" after you've seen it.

ETA: Hot Shots: Part Deux is a great comedy

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
^not yet. My schedule is (bleep) and I'm not sure if I should eek it out to see it on the big screens or just catch it at home.

Do you think I gotta watch it in theaters or will a large TV + epic sound system approximate the cinematic justice it deserves.

You definitely need a good sound system. I'd estimate watching it at home on a good high def big screen TV with surround sound would give you about 85% of the cinematic experience.

Thanks EB. Ended up catching it last night at a theater. I think it's my least favorite Eggers thus far (Lighthouse is my favorite), but still a good movie. If I were to be a bit harsher, there were a few laugh out loud moments for me that I am positive Eggers did not intend to make me laugh, and the acting felt like the worst across his films. I think I would have preferred Nordic/Icelandic actors that had a facility with english, as opposed to popular faces attempting a Nordic-infused english.

But the action was very well shot and well edited, particularly the final scene. Really enjoyed that, as too many action scenes now-a-days prefer a schizophrenic, almost confused cutting style that leaves me with a bit of a headache.

My guess is there is a directors cut out there that I'd probably prefer, as it seems Eggers cut back on the more outré elements to make the film more palatable for 'mainstream' audiences.

This all seems on point to me even if I have my disagreements. A good critique overall.

What were your lol moments wrt line readings with accents in the movie?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject:

Watched Fortress Snipers' Eye the sequel to Fortress. The dialogue is bad, the acting just as. Bruce Willis's aphasia is very evident. He seems to be in a fog. 1 to 10 I rate the film 4.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Watched Fortress Snipers' Eye the sequel to Fortress. The dialogue is bad, the acting just as. Bruce Willis's aphasia is very evident. He seems to be in a fog. 1 to 10 I rate the film 4.

from your review, a 4 seems mighty generous.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject:

I recommend It Happened to Us on the Criterion Channel in light of recent news.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 10:54 am    Post subject:

The film is based on Dinesh D'Souza's books The Big Lie and Death of a Nation. D'Souza said the basis for his documentary were the books Hitler's American Model: The United States and the Making of Nazi Race Law by James Whitman, and Racism: A Short History by George M. Fredrickson

DEATH OF A NATON LINK

RATE

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
^not yet. My schedule is (bleep) and I'm not sure if I should eek it out to see it on the big screens or just catch it at home.

Do you think I gotta watch it in theaters or will a large TV + epic sound system approximate the cinematic justice it deserves.

You definitely need a good sound system. I'd estimate watching it at home on a good high def big screen TV with surround sound would give you about 85% of the cinematic experience.

Thanks EB. Ended up catching it last night at a theater. I think it's my least favorite Eggers thus far (Lighthouse is my favorite), but still a good movie. If I were to be a bit harsher, there were a few laugh out loud moments for me that I am positive Eggers did not intend to make me laugh, and the acting felt like the worst across his films. I think I would have preferred Nordic/Icelandic actors that had a facility with english, as opposed to popular faces attempting a Nordic-infused english.

But the action was very well shot and well edited, particularly the final scene. Really enjoyed that, as too many action scenes now-a-days prefer a schizophrenic, almost confused cutting style that leaves me with a bit of a headache.

My guess is there is a directors cut out there that I'd probably prefer, as it seems Eggers cut back on the more outré elements to make the film more palatable for 'mainstream' audiences.

This all seems on point to me even if I have my disagreements. A good critique overall.

Hard to remember specific lines, but I think Kidman was kind of a miscast. Something about her performance was off - not sure if she struggled with the accent or the artifice required for an Eggers performance, but it was off.

Skaarsgard had some iffy line readings as well.

When this hits streaming (at a reasonable price), I'll probably give it a rewatch and flesh this out a bit more.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 7:18 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Godfather 1 Questions:

This is such a gripping scene. Sterling Hayden not going down on the headshot immediately w/ Michael looking puzzled was a nice touch. There is variance between gunshots to the head, even. Sometimes they ricochet off the skull due to the angle/distance/caliber/etc.

I've seen the Kubrick movie w/ Hayden in the lead called The Killing (1956). He was also in Dr. Strangelove. You can tell The Killing, or Dr. Strangelove, or Paths Of Glory or Eyes Wide Shut are Kubrick movies no matter what the subject is. It's a phenomenon like QT's stuff. Hayden had an interesting life, won the Silver Star (valor award) in WWII. I saw a documentary on Scorsese who tried to cast him for a couple flicks, but it never panned out.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:38 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
The film is based on Dinesh D'Souza's books The Big Lie and Death of a Nation. D'Souza said the basis for his documentary were the books Hitler's American Model: The United States and the Making of Nazi Race Law by James Whitman, and Racism: A Short History by George M. Fredrickson

DEATH OF A NATON LINK

RATE

It’s hard to do in this age of propaganda and shamelessness, but he may be the most shameless liar out there.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:44 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:

DEATH OF A NATON LINK

RATE

It’s hard to do in this age of propaganda and shamelessness, but he may be the most shameless liar out there.

I started not to post the film because some people are so gullible. I'm truly conflicted as to whether or not to delete the post.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Carlos Reygadas: I don't think I've ever really loved any of his movies, but he's one of the greatest nature filmmakers alive bar none; thunderstorms, farm fields, family trips to the beach captured by his eye are more distinctive and vivid than any other filmmaker under the age of 70.

Stille Nacht, Post Tenebras Lux, and Our Time are all worth a watch.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=67XaLahRxnU
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 9:14 am    Post subject:

A bit late but RIP Fred Ward. Loved his work with Altman, in Escape From Alcatraz and, of course, Tremors
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 9:21 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
A bit late but RIP Fred Ward. Loved his work with Altman, in Escape From Alcatraz and, of course, Tremors

The Right Stuff!

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

The Right Stuff!

Of course! It was a bit dramatic in the movie but I would by lying if I haven't said IT WAS A TECHNICAL MALFUNCTION in response to me, say, dropping a plate
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

The Right Stuff!

Of course! It was a bit dramatic in the movie but I would by lying if I haven't said IT WAS A TECHNICAL MALFUNCTION in response to me, say, dropping a plate

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 11:13 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

The Right Stuff!

Silkwood. That had a lot of character actors.

Fred's joke:

Fred Ward
Craig T. Nelson
David Straithairn the younger
Ron Silver
Diana Scarwid (older Tina in Mommie Dearest)
Josef Sommer (800 movie credits, Close Encounters, etc)
Charles Hallahan (played coaches and was head spider guy in The Thing, he was Modine's coach in Vision Quest as you know)
JC Quinn (Elmo from Vision Quest as you know)
M. Emmet Walsh who was in everything, period
Bruce McGill aka D-Day of Animal House fame
Anthony Heald (aka Dr. Chilton from Silence/Lambs)
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 11:17 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

The Right Stuff!

They got one of the guys from The Thing to play LBJ, the "PLEASE UNTIE ME FROM THIS BLEEP CHAIR!!!1" guy. He was probably the only guy in the SAG who could've pulled it off, at least lookswise. The old guy playing Ike looked like him, but Ike had a more conventional look.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Silkwood. That had a lot of character actors . . .

And was every bit as good as he was ubiquitous.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 10:45 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Silkwood. That had a lot of character actors . . .

And was every bit as good as he was ubiquitous.

Agreed. Harry Dean Stanton was another of that top class of character dudes. His appearance alone was charactery. He looked permanently 30s Dustbowl Era. Ebert said he could at least like something about a movie that HDS was in. "Missouri Breaks" probably an outlier, but most of them, yes. Most of his dialogue in "Alien" was saying, "Right..." to Yaphet Kotto, but he still was likeable to a viewer and a perfect early kill guy in any horror/sci-fi flick. Liked his role in "Dillinger". Tracey Walter is a good character guy. Bob The Goon from 89 Batman. Did grimey bad guys or grimey plain guys well. "At Close Range". Bad dude gang were Walken, JC Quinn (Silkwood, Vision Quest) and RD Call (Colors, Young Guns 2), David Straithairn the younger. Straithairn kinda straddled the line between character actor and almost lead actor (think LA Confidential, Lincoln, Nomadland). Dean Stockwell and Robert Downey, Sr, both recently passed. Always improved a movie, never detracted. Both in "To Live And Die In L.A." Downey knew all the MP/YP industry jargon.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Mon May 23, 2022 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject:

A film that caught and held my attention, something that rarely happens, was The Valet. It's a comedy with a poignant underlying message. I class the movie as a comedy-drama. I give it an 8 rating. A comedy that caused me to mist.

Alice starring Keke Palmer is a Coffey, Pam Grier, type film. It's about a slave becoming aware that she was actually free. Good script poorly portrayed and written. I give it a 6 1/2 rating.

Father Stu Supposedly base on a true story. About a fighter turned priest. It has a plot with twists.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon May 30, 2022 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject:

2022 so far:

Top Gun: Maverick
RRR
Kimi
The Northman
Jackass Forever
Ambulance
EEAAO
The Lost City
The Batman
X
The Outfit

Nothing terrible, but nothing really outstanding so far. A handful of fun spectacle movies.

By far the best new movie I've seen in 2022 is Memoria, but it first got a theatrical release in 2021, so...
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

Hard to remember specific lines, but I think Kidman was kind of a miscast. Something about her performance was off - not sure if she struggled with the accent or the artifice required for an Eggers performance, but it was off.

Skaarsgard had some iffy line readings as well.

When this hits streaming (at a reasonable price), I'll probably give it a rewatch and flesh this out a bit more.

Hmmm. I thought Kidman killed it in the second half. I haven't seen The Paperboy or The Beguiled but it was her best work I've seen since Stoker if not Birth.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 9:40 pm    Post subject:

The Lost City with Sandra bullock, Channing Tatum, and Brad Pitt was pretty decent. Worth watching once.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 2:00 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
The Lost City with Sandra bullock, Channing Tatum, and Brad Pitt was pretty decent. Worth watching once.

Thanks for The Lost City. Typical Sandra Bullock quips. I enjoyed the movie.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 171, 172, 173 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 172 of 189
Jump to: