The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 139, 140, 141 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject:

There's a space of movie nerddom I think only me, ocho, Cut, and maybe a few other posters are in where I automatically think recommending Le Trou* is passé.

I'm back home for Christmas and just learned my dad has never seen The Matrix. What is he gonna do with Le Trou?

* Becker's Le Trou is one of the greatest cinematic achievements ever.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:44 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I'm going to see the new West Side Story later today before it leaves theaters, and it strikes me that auteurist box office draws are basically dead outside of Tarantino and maybe Nolan. Spielberg doing a musical... and seeing it bomb? Disgusting.

The audiences of today truly suck.

ETA: One of Spielberg's greatest achievements. Hopefully it gets a second run around Oscar season - it's breathtaking on a big screen.

I have a bootleg version on my IPTV. The clarity of audio and visuals are lousy. It'll clear up in time. It was the same with No Time To Die when it first came out. Audio cleared to Dolby surround sound and visual to 4K.

I hope you eventually see the best version available to you because, by God, this film deserves it.

West Side Story (2021) is now my favorite Spielberg film, I'd argue it's at worst his fifth greatest achievement as a film director, it bests Wise's 1961 masterpiece, and it stands as one of the greatest depictions of movement ever captured on screen. This can only be a movie. Only movies can make this kind of magic, and Steven Spielberg is among a small handful of ever living directors who could've ever created something this kinetic and alive. Maybe the greatest cinematic flex in modern Hollywood history.

I hope more LG.com folk watch it on the biggest screen possible before it dies via Spider Man and The Matrix. I think it's one of the truly, truly great Hollywood films of my lifetime (1980s - 2020s).

I'll get to see it with Dolby Surround Sound and 4K video. Just a matter of time. I'm going to watch Kingsman: The Golden Circle with Prime Video tonight. I'll let you know if I like it.

I know I'm hyping it too much, but it is a really beautiful movie.

The Kingsman series isn't good, but they're my guilty pleasure movies. Probably gonna see The Golden Circle in a theater, too, in-between catching the new Matrix and Licorice Pizza (finally!)

I watched Kingsman The Golden Circle. I like it. Lots of action. Lot's of gimmicks and gizmos. 1 to 10 I give it 7 - 8.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I'm going to see the new West Side Story later today before it leaves theaters, and it strikes me that auteurist box office draws are basically dead outside of Tarantino and maybe Nolan. Spielberg doing a musical... and seeing it bomb? Disgusting.

ETA: One of Spielberg's greatest achievements. Hopefully it gets a second run around Oscar season - it's breathtaking on a big screen.

I have a bootleg version on my IPTV. The clarity of audio and visuals are lousy. It'll clear up in time. It was the same with No Time To Die when it first came out. Audio cleared to Dolby surround sound and visual to 4K.

I hope you eventually see the best version available to you because, by God, this film deserves it.

West Side Story (2021) is now my favorite Spielberg film, I'd argue it's at worst his fifth greatest achievement as a film director, it bests Wise's 1961 masterpiece, and it stands as one of the greatest depictions of movement ever captured on screen. This can only be a movie. Only movies can make this kind of magic, and Steven Spielberg is among a small handful of ever living directors who could've ever created something this kinetic and alive. Maybe the greatest cinematic flex in modern Hollywood history.

I hope more LG.com folk watch it on the biggest screen possible before it dies via Spider Man and The Matrix. I think it's one of the truly, truly great Hollywood films of my lifetime (1980s - 2020s).

I'll get to see it with Dolby Surround Sound and 4K video. Just a matter of time. I'm going to watch Kingsman: The Golden Circle with Prime Video tonight. I'll let you know if I like it.

The Kingsman series isn't good, but they're my guilty pleasure movies. Probably gonna see The Golden Circle in a theater, too, in-between catching the new Matrix and Licorice Pizza (finally!)

YES! Finally. Been avoiding saying anything in this thread until it was clear you saw it. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject:

Still need to see C'mon C'mon and Titane. Unfortunately missed a showing of Drive My Car, and it's no longer playing in my area, so I am relegated to an @ home viewing. Thankfully I should finally have plenty of time the next couple weeks...
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Old boy on Amazon prime with Brolin/Sam Jackson/Wandavision girl is pretty good thriller
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Old boy on Amazon prime with Brolin/Sam Jackson/Wandavision girl is pretty good thriller

My dear friend, please do yourself a favor and see the original Korean version---the entire trilogy, if you can, particularly Lady Vengeance. (Although OldBoy is the best in the saga IMO.)
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
governator wrote:

My dear friend, please do yourself a favor and see the original Korean version---the entire trilogy, if you can, particularly Lady Vengeance. (Although OldBoy is the best in the saga IMO.)

What! Where can I see these?
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject:

If anyone is wondering….matrix resurrections was terrible….probably even worse than reloaded or revolutions. The original matrix is still the only movie that matters.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject:

God, I love Slap Shot. One of the greatest movies ever made.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject:

BigBallerBrand wrote:
If anyone is wondering….matrix resurrections was terrible….probably even worse than reloaded or revolutions. The original matrix is still the only movie that matters.

I'm seeing it later today and my guess is you're super wrong. I love divisive movies, though.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:22 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
governator wrote:

What! Where can I see these?

It's streaming on Amazon Prime right now. Watch it...he's right. The OG is exponentially better.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:32 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:

YES! Finally. Been avoiding saying anything in this thread until it was clear you saw it. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

I think we talk bed about it when it was released. Critics might not like the artistic direction/style of the movie but what they went for they nailed in spades. Super fun series. I liked the original the best and as an avid rpg'er...the most fun I have playing those games is when the hero is just getting started and/or discovering his powers.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:10 am    Post subject:

BigBallerBrand wrote:

I'm seeing it later today and my guess is you're super wrong. I love divisive movies, though.

The COVID booster kicked my ass for 48 hours. Still haven't seen this or LP yet. Need to cook some damn pie and ham when I just want some Matrix and Pizza.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:11 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Watch the Korean original if you can.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:20 am    Post subject:

My Twitter feed right now is basketball nerds loving Don't Look Up and movie nerds hating Don't Look Up.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I think we talk bed about it when it was released. Critics might not like the artistic direction/style of the movie but what they went for they nailed in spades. Super fun series. I liked the original the best and as an avid rpg'er...the most fun I have playing those games is when the hero is just getting started and/or discovering his powers.

I was talking about LP, but nice to hear about Kingsman! I really liked the first one but still haven't caught the second or third
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject:

The second one made the sex and the city movie seem like Shakespeare.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:23 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Sometimes one (me) just wants to watch elegant suits and dumb, pointless violence.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:09 am    Post subject:

Benedetta - What if the Messiah was Sheryl Sandberg? Verhoeven trods familiar territory mashing together 40 years of dramas and comedies about church hypocrisy (and that's just the movies), sexual power dynamics in convents, and the erotic nun-sploitation subgenre via his familiar blend of deft pop filmmaking, blunt symbolism, and visceral gore and sexuality. But as always there's more subversive stuff going on as Paulie V. synthesizes the sacred and profane, both of which he respects here, presents Benedetta's (an impressive Virginie Efira) intertwined spiritual empowerment and sexual awakening as both electrifying and disquieting - as a lesbian messiah the film makes her sincerity in both faith and sexual desire open to skepticism - and gets into thornier stuff about female interpersonal relationships that I can't quite wrap my head around after one viewing. Benedetta's recurring visions of Erotic Jesus Christ - he's a tucker, a poker, a midnight serpent slasher - have a kitschy, anachronistic romance novel cover quality to them reminiscent of the budget friendly, ironized special effects in Lynch's "Twin Peaks: The Return" that intriques me. Also, the bubonic plague plays a big role.

It's bursting with ideas, it's got some hot numbers (hello Daphne Patakia), it's going to be eminently rewatchable, but I feel like Benedetta is another one of those Verhoeven films that 10-15 years from now the next youth wave will pick up as an underrated masterpiece and I'll nod along like I thought it was a masterpiece from the jump. This is a darn good movie that I'm pretty sure is smarter than me and I hope I "get it" on a deeper level on future viewings. Because Verhoeven sure got one over on me on Starship Troopers 20 years ago.

ETA: there are certain acts referred to that are never depicted on screen and it's interesting to note vis-a-vis Benedetta and Bartolomea's (Patakia) power dynamics in and out of the bedroom.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject:

My Twitter feed right now is basketball nerds loving Don't Look Up and movie nerds hating Don't Look Up.

I really enjoyed it. The length felt like nothing. That’s what she said.

I purposely stay away from trailers and too much info regarding movies so I went in with a pretty clean slate. Highly recommend it.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Sometimes one (me) just wants to watch elegant suits and dumb, pointless violence.

John Wick with accents
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

John Wick with accents

And that sir, is movie magic!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject:

FORTRESS If you're a Bruce Willis fan bypass the movie. The wisecracking, off the wall witty comments Bruce makes are flat and not so witty. No patented Bruce facial expressions when making the comments. No, “Just a fly in the ointman, Hans. The monkey in the wrench.” “‘Come out the coast, we’ll get together, have a few laughs…’” The witty comments were't there, Bruce Willis isn't there. Scale of 1 to 10, I give it 6. That high because it's Bruce.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Sadly, Bruce mostly just does straight to video Eastern European financed stuff where they are willing to meet his million a day price tag, short shooting schedule, and mailed in performances.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 139, 140, 141 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 140 of 189
Jump to: