The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 129, 130, 131 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
governator wrote:
Just saw space jam, thought it was great, simple story, tons of cameos, good CGI, thumbs up

How do you rate Space Jam: A New Legacy to Space Jam?

I'd watch it with my kid but on tv, not movie theater... kinda rating.

I watched in on TV with my IPTV Eminence. I have surround sound.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject:

I went straight weird on this one. Fighting those evil villains who want to take over the world. Dr. Strange Again the ending left the door open for a sequel.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Hitchcock (re)watch update:

Re-watched North by Northwest not too long ago. Impeccable primordial blockbuster template with all of Hitch's peccadilloes present, but neutered for audience accessibility. Wonderful filmmaking throughout.

Notorious (1946) - a first for me, this is a masterclass in sexual tension, repression, and subjugation while being arguably Hitchcock's hottest and most romantic (hetero) relationship on screen. Cary Grant has pained depth here in an underwritten character, but it's Ingrid Bergman as the disgraced, disgusted, drunken daughter of a U.S.-based Nazi spy recruited by the federal government to uproot Nazi collaborators in post-war Brazil who takes Hitchcock's neurotic fetishes with double identities and the Madonna/whore complex and makes them into an indelible character. One of the great closing shots in cinema history, the camera rotating around Bergman and Grant minutes before as he progresses his love is somehow even more gorgeous.

(bleep) Nazis
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
ZODIAC MOTHERF*CKER
@ZODIAC_MF
OOOOOOO ARE WE GONNA GET SOME *LORE*? SOME *WORLD-BUILDING*? DONT YOU GUYS EVER GET SICK OF THIS SH!T? DONT YOU GUYS EVER GET SICK AND F*CKING TIRED OF THIS SAME OLD STUPID-ASS DORKY-ASS (bleep) F*CKING SH!T?

https://twitter.com/ZODIAC_MF/status/1419655612145745925

I don't care about the backstory of Waingro. I don't care about the backstory of Hans Gruber. Who cares? The Underground Railroad was mostly excellent, but why are you giving your villain origin story a standalone 1-hr episode? It's ungainly and pointless.

This is all such unnecessary bloat, especially ironic coming from people who think 4-hour movies are failures just by dint of their runtimes.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject:

But people do care about backstory and origins. One of the greatest films — The Godfather part 2 — is 50% origin story. I didn’t realize that movie was just dorky a** world building lol
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject:

The Platters "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes" in Edward Yang's Terrorizers:

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:37 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Jack.

Do you like "Five Easy Pieces"? Is that a top 3 Jack movie? Would you hold it between yer kneez? It was supposed to be his first great character study. I expect you to say yes since it's a quality movie product, but I think Jack flexed his muscles in that role. Showed he had the chops. Showed Kubrick he was Shining-ready. Karen Black was a scene-stealer.

I'm sure you have some good thoughts on your fave Nicholson appearances. You wanna name a few and maybe give a why or two?

It all begins with Easy Rider.

Plulululululululuh.... PluluhluhlulhOOON-TAAYNG. He hadto've improved the way the line was spoken if he didn't improve the line itself. That sh is so Jack Nicholson that it has its own gravitational pull.

The country witticisms scene was pretty menacing because you realize how plausible it sounded. One of the most naturalistic scenes that I've got on my most naturalistic scenes list. This uploader gets kudos for beginning the clip w/ the Jimi "If 6 Was 9" scene. That's usually chopped off for no good reason.

DH Lawrence, Indians...

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Band of Outsiders:

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
But people do care about backstory and origins. One of the greatest films — The Godfather part 2 — is 50% origin story. I didn’t realize that movie was just dorky a** world building lol

Coppola was reluctant to do it and Ebert ragged on GFII as inferior and unnecessary for decades much preferring De Palma's Scarface until he was talked into lumping GFII in with Godfather as part of a great movie. My guess is he wasn't alone amongst a segment of the '70s cine-nerd set.

Even though Coppola was so talented he and his crew could pull it off, were Ebert's instincts so wrong?

Anyway, I'm glad you listed the most successful example of movie "world building." Now let me see what the showtimes are for Pig in my area...hmmm....

F9
Black Widow
Space Jam: A New Legacy
Jungle Cruise
The Forever Purge
Cruella (still??)
A Quiet Place II
Snake Eyes...? What's that? Oh! An origin story for a G.I. Joe character I've never heard of.

Andddddddd...not showing Pig. Huh. Strange. Well, it's what the people want. Who am I to argue?
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject:

Miracle at St. Anna, IMDB on Amazon prime, free with ads
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

Coppola was reluctant to do it and Ebert ragged on GFII as inferior and unnecessary for decades much preferring De Palma's Scarface until he was talked into lumping GFII in with Godfather as part of a great movie. My guess is he wasn't alone amongst a segment of the '70s cine-nerd set.

Even though Coppola was so talented he and his crew could pull it off, were Ebert's instincts so wrong?

Anyway, I'm glad you listed the most successful example of movie "world building." Now let me see what the showtimes are for Pig in my area...hmmm....

F9
Black Widow
Jungle Cruise
The Forever Purge
Cruella (still??)
A Quiet Place II
Snake Eyes...? What's that? Oh! An origin story for a G.I. Joe character I've never heard of.

Andddddddd...not showing Pig. Huh. Strange. Well, it's what the people want. Who am I to argue?

Ebert often found himself falling prey to his pompous self-importance.

Scarface is a mediocre movie that gets worse with age (and that's being kind) and doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as GFII.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

F9
Black Widow
Jungle Cruise
The Forever Purge
Cruella (still??)
A Quiet Place II

Scarface is a mediocre movie that gets worse with age (and that's being kind) and doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as GFII.

Who doesn't?

He had a lot of misses and a lot of hits. His bouts of pomposity didn't seem to derail his overall career at championing a love of movies and thinking audiences deserved and wanted more than slop at a trough.

Scarface is really damn good and GFII is even better. It's a pleasure to have both to revisit.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject:

"No Coverage"

Before shelving it altogether Paramount wanted to do a huge re-cut of Samuel Fuller's one and only studio film, White Dog (1982), less because of its themes of entrenched American racism (though that became the excuse to make it ultimately disappear) than because the executives thought the stylistic choices of dog POV shots, low angles, etc. we're unnecessary and would confuse audiences.

Well, Sam Fuller had a very short shoot and didn't have enough coverage to re-cut the film without making it totally incoherent and Paramount wasn't about to sink more money into re-shoots. So the tweaks ended up being minor and the final cut was put into a vault for nearly a decade.

So the point of the story for young studio filmmakers is: screw coverage as frequently as possible.*

*You might lose your career, but the artistic credibility...?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject:

Band of Outsiders:

Underground, the wedding in two parts:

loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject:

Barnes & Noble has the Criterion collection blurays 50% off right now.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject:

Watched A Quiet Place 2.
We were entertained though not nearly as good as 1 maybe because novelty has worn off, but if you like the genre it’s worth it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Watched A Quiet Place 2.
We were entertained though not nearly as good as 1 maybe because novelty has worn off, but if you like the genre it’s worth it.

I'm not into horror films. I'll force-feed myself today.

EDIT: I watched the movie. It's not my cup of tea. I did flinch on occasion when quiet suspense is suddenly shattered by an anticipated noise. The climax left the door open for a III. Millicent Simmonds is actually deaf.

panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Watched A Quiet Place 2.

I'm not into horror films. I'll force-feed myself today.

EDIT: I watched the movie. It's not my cup of tea. I did flinch on occasion when quiet suspense is suddenly shattered by an anticipated noise. The climax left the door open for a III. Millicent Simmonds is actually deaf.

I checked out part I when it came out and thought it was totally meh. But I find contemporary horror to be consistently underwhelming.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Barnes & Noble has the Criterion collection blurays 50% off right now.

Ended today. I finally splurged on the Bergman collection. I haven't seen the likes of Wild Strawberries or Winter Light yet, but looking forward to a lot of Swedish ennui over the next few months.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject:

Bennifer 2: Badonkaccino!

Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

F9
Black Widow
Jungle Cruise
The Forever Purge
Cruella (still??)
A Quiet Place II

Who doesn't?

He had a lot of misses and a lot of hits. His bouts of pomposity didn't seem to derail his overall career at championing a love of movies and thinking audiences deserved and wanted more than slop at a trough.

Scarface is really damn good and GFII is even better. It's a pleasure to have both to revisit.

Scarface is a c+ movie with a nic e over the top Pacino performance.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject:

I watched La Haine for the first time and it lived up to the hype. My favorite parts were the 2 stories that are told, the first of which seems insignificant since a kid is telling it (the prank show story), while the second story about the train is given more attention both by the listener and the camera (viewer).
The main story, “so far so good”, is good too but I felt it lost some impact when it was explained at the end. I’ve come to enjoy when things are left open to interpretation which is why I liked the other stories better.

If you liked this movie I’d recommend another French film, the 2019 Les Miserable (not a book adaptation).
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject:

Jungle Cruise is a fun movie. Adventure, Fantasy, Comedy. The Rock is in his acting element. The corny jokes he tells will make you smile when you get the punchline. I enjoyed it. I wouldn't pay $37.00 to watch it. Got it free with my IPTV.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Sling Blade is a great movie
NMLaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:41 am    Post subject:

Mmmmhmmmmm…
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 129, 130, 131 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 130 of 189
Jump to: