The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:04 pm    Post subject:

Not a film, but saw the docu on Mr. Rogers. It was surprisingly interesting with a lot of info about him that was before my time.

Anyone seen "The Disaster Artist"? I was chuckling thru this movie from beginning to end. It has Rogen in it, but he's a minor character. After seeing it, I found that it has a high score on Rotten Tomatoes and a favorable review.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:06 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:

Won't You be My Neighbor?

Ahh. It was good. It was recommended to me and I had what is probably the standard response of "Meh...Mr. Rogers", but it was one of the better documentaries that I've seen over the past few years for any topic. He shut that ahole Congressman up, that was a good scene. He got poned by Mr. Rogers!

Last edited by non-player zealot on Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:13 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

Ahh. It was good. It was recommended to me and I had what is probably the standard response of "Meh...Mr. Rogers", but it was one of the better documentaries that I've seen over the past few years for any topic.

There was nothing extraordinary about it by any means but there was a scene where a little disabled girl who could barely stand gave him a drawing of X the owl, and then he surprised her by bringing out the X puppet...that broke me down quick...hard to do. There were a couple of other scenes to that effect, too.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:17 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

Ahh. It was good. It was recommended to me and I had what is probably the standard response of "Meh...Mr. Rogers", but it was one of the better documentaries that I've seen over the past few years for any topic.

There was nothing extraordinary about it by any means but there was a scene where a little disabled girl who could barely stand gave him a drawing of X the owl, and then he surprises her with X himself...that broke me down quick...hard to do.

I got misty at the college girl who gave him a hug at the commencement speech and told him she was special needs at a young age and his show helped her to break out of her shell. You got the sense of just how many people he had managed to touch over 40 years on TV. By that time, it was sad to see him go because decent human beings are exceedingly rare, I suppose. He never disappointed and he was religious, but didn't browbeat people with it. I had no idea he had a short-lived show where he attempted to speak with adults and he did the in-prison circle chat thing long before it became a bit that politicians began to use. Didn't know he had a show where they discussed assassination right after RFK's murder. His idea to dunk his feet in a kiddie pool with the one African-American character on the show in response to the ahole who poured chlorine in his complex's pool while black people were swimming in it was "woke" for 1970-whatever. He promoted togetherness instead of mere tolerance.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
ocho wrote:
^Still need to see Burning and Cold War. For me the Oscars are a laughingstock. If you're racking up Oscars you've probably made a mediocre, milquetoast film.

Right on. Unless there's a clear standout filmed by prestige directors like the Cohen brothers, the Academy voters often go with safe, insipid pablum.

That's why I'm surprised First Man isn't getting more Best Picture Oscar buzz since it's a historical fiction that combines a prestige industry director with a tale of American perseverance. And it's a hell of a piece of cinema to boot.

My mock Best Picture nominee list (as of 1/20):

The Favorite - Yorgos seems to be working his way into the Hollywood prestige club. The Academy could try to get ahead of the curve here like they did with the Cohen brothers and Fargo.
First Man
The Rider - on top of being a damn good movie, it's a fascinating document that blends fiction, autobiography, and documentary in a way that I think will inspire going forward.
Leave No Trace - I wish quiet, poignant movies like this would get recognition from the Academy when they come along. Granik does masterful, larger than life work with a simple, personal story.
Support the Girls - mumblecore goes mainstream! As the Academy is constantly seeking to boost films that promote their progressive cred, STG subtly - and occasionally bluntly - balances issues of race, class, and gender in an exploration of empathy in the most banal of settings.
First Reformed
Annihilation - Alex Garland is a legitimate big ideas director working through genre in the mold of Kubrik with a touch of Cronenberg. Annihilation underwhelmed me a bit at first despite the two amazing scenes everyone remembers, but it stuck in my mind all last year and really blew me away on a re-watch.
Eighth Grade*
If Beale Street Could Talk*

* I'm going off the recommendations of friends whose taste I trust; haven't seen them yet.

The lack of Academy love for First Man is astounding to me. It should be an easy Best Picture nominee and winner.

Just saw it the other day. Reminded me of The Right Stuff with a different mood. Right Stuff was up for Best Picture in 83, but it was a flop that had to gain acclaim as time went on, which might be First Man's fate. I agree that it should get a nod.

Chazelle (sp) should be around awhile and he has the chops and aspirations to be a Hollywood "It Director," so I expect First Man will get its due in time. I liked it more than La La Land, though Whiplash is still his favorite film of mine.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject:

I didn't hate Lars Von Trier's The House That Jack Built (THTJB) and actually kind of enjoyed it. Von Trier normally leaves me cold, especially most of what he's done after Dancer in the Dark, but THTJB succeeds via black humor as serial killer protagonist Jack - Von Trier's obvious stand-in - is an oddly entertaining combination of charm, ineptitude, and narcissistic pretention. If all of that sounds like a director smelling his own farts, you are correct, and it's also filled with graphic violence against women, children, and a baby duckling to make it both repellant and pretentious. But if you're into an outre provocateur like Von Trier trolling himself, his audience, and his critics through a misogynistic, nihilistic, and bombastic serial killer/artist caricature portrayed by a supremely game Matt Dillon, this movie is for you!

The body is bloated and drags for stretches during a 2:30 hour running time, but the final 20 minutes that involve a literal descent into hell with the late great Bruno Ganz contains some of the most beautiful visual work of Von Trier's career. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but I wouldn't not recommend the movie to anyone...except my mom. Watcher beware.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject:

I watched the first 5 hours of Bohemian Rhapsody yesterday. Still an hour left. The best thing I can say about it is that it does, indeed, feature the music of Queen.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
I watched the first 5 hours of Bohemian Rhapsody yesterday. Still an hour left. The best thing I can say about it is that it does, indeed, feature the music of Queen.

Thought it was excellent minus some bad chronology of certain songs and the HIV scene which wasn’t before Live Aid
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:34 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

This is good content.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject:

With the 2018-19 Oscars upcoming, I thought it'd be fun to see predictions and favorites from the LG.com community:

Best Picture:

“Black Panther”
“BlacKkKlansman”
“Bohemian Rhapsody”
“The Favourite”
“Green Book”
“Roma”
“A Star Is Born”
“Vice”

What film I want to win: The Favourite (but really anything other than BoRap or Green Book)
What film I think will win: Roma (I have it just behind The Favourite among my favorites of the year; this is a tight race and I wouldn't be surprised at any outcome except Vice winning; BlaKkKlansman is my dark horse candidate)

Lead Actor:

Christian Bale, “Vice”
Bradley Cooper, “A Star Is Born”
Willem Dafoe, “At Eternity’s Gate”
Rami Malek, “Bohemian Rhapsody”
Viggo Mortensen, “Green Book”

Who I want to win: Willem Dafoe (I haven't seen any of these performances except Bale in Vice, and I'd be happy if he won for a thankless role that was much more than just prosthetics. But Dafoe has been underrated as an actor for so many years that I hope he gets the nod)
Who I think will win: Rami Malek (teef!)

Lead Actress:

Yalitza Aparicio, “Roma”
Glenn Close, “The Wife”
Olivia Colman, “The Favourite”
Lady Gaga, “A Star Is Born”
Melissa McCarthy, “Can You Ever Forgive Me?”

Who I want to win: Olivia Coleman (“I like it when she puts her tongue inside me")
Who I think will win: Glenn Close (out of a strong field full of great choices I assume Close wins a de facto career appreciation award)

Supporting Actor:

Mahershala Ali, “Green Book”
Adam Driver, “BlacKkKlansman”
Sam Elliott, “A Star Is Born”
Richard E. Grant, “Can You Ever Forgive Me?”
Sam Rockwell, “Vice”

Who I want to win: Richard E. Grant (I trust the critics praise on this one)
Who I think will win: Mahershala Ali (no idea if he's good in Reverse Driving Miss Daisy)

Supporting Actress:

Amy Adams, “Vice”
Marina de Tavira, “Roma”
Regina King, “If Beale Street Could Talk”
Emma Stone, “The Favourite”
Rachel Weisz, “The Favourite”

Who I want to win: Regina King
Who I think will win: Regina King (would be a great win over a very strong field)

Director:

Spike Lee, “BlacKkKlansman”
Pawel Pawlikowski, “Cold War”
Yorgos Lanthimos, “The Favourite”
Alfonso Cuarón, “Roma”
Adam McKay, “Vice”

Who I want to win: Pawl Pawlikowski (in an incredibly strong field and with Pawlikowski a surprise entry, I'll go with his gorgeous images and economical storytelling)
Who I think will win: Spike Lee (I'm torn between Lee getting his de facto career award and Roma carrying Cuarón to victory, but I'll go with the split vote)

Animated Feature:

“Incredibles 2,” Brad Bird
“Isle of Dogs,” Wes Anderson
“Mirai,” Mamoru Hosoda
“Ralph Breaks the Internet,” Rich Moore, Phil Johnston
“Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse,” Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, Rodney Rothman

What I want to win: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
What I think will win: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (the best superhero movie of the year gets a much deserved win)

Animated Short:

“Animal Behaviour,” Alison Snowden, David Fine
“Bao,” Domee Shi
“Late Afternoon,” Louise Bagnall
“One Small Step,” Andrew Chesworth, Bobby Pontillas
“Weekends,” Trevor Jimenez

What I want to win: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
What I think will win: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Adapted Screenplay:

“The Ballad of Buster Scruggs,” Joel Coen , Ethan Coen
“BlacKkKlansman,” Charlie Wachtel, David Rabinowitz, Kevin Willmott, Spike Lee
“Can You Ever Forgive Me?,” Nicole Holofcener and Jeff Whitty
“If Beale Street Could Talk,” Barry Jenkins
“A Star Is Born,” Eric Roth, Bradley Cooper, Will Fetters

What I want to win: Can You Ever Forgive Me? (Going with critical consensus again)
What I think will win: BlaKkKlansman (Spike on stage twice in one night? Yes, please)

Original Screenplay:

“The Favourite,” Deborah Davis, Tony McNamara
“First Reformed,” Paul Schrader
“Green Book,” Nick Vallelonga, Brian Currie, Peter Farrelly
“Roma,” Alfonso Cuarón
“Vice,” Adam McKay

What I want to win: First Reformed (I love The Favourite, but Schrader deserves the career nod)
What I think will win: The Favourite (still a great choice)

Cinematography:

“Cold War,” Lukasz Zal
“The Favourite,” Robbie Ryan
“Never Look Away,” Caleb Deschanel
“Roma,” Alfonso Cuarón
“A Star Is Born,” Matthew Libatique

Who I want to win: Lukasz Zal
Who I think will win: Lukasz Zal (cinematographers know what's up and I also expect they'll shy away from Cuarón horning in on their action)

Best Documentary Feature:

“Free Solo,” Jimmy Chin, Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi
“Hale County This Morning, This Evening,” RaMell Ross
“Minding the Gap,” Bing Liu
“Of Fathers and Sons,” Talal Derki
“RBG,” Betsy West, Julie Cohen

What I want to win: Minding the Gap (slightly ahead of Hale County for me, this is a devastatingly intimate portrait of the cycle of domestic violence among fathers and sons)
What I think will win: RBG (meh, it's fine)

Best Documentary Short Subject:

“Black Sheep,” Ed Perkins
“End Game,” Rob Epstein, Jeffrey Friedman
“Lifeboat,” Skye Fitzgerald
“A Night at the Garden,” Marshall Curry
“Period. End of Sentence.,” Rayka Zehtabchi

Best Live Action Short Film:

“Detainment,” Vincent Lambe
“Fauve,” Jeremy Comte
“Marguerite,” Marianne Farley
“Mother,” Rodrigo Sorogoyen
“Skin,” Guy Nattiv

Best Foreign Language Film:

“Capernaum” (Lebanon)
“Cold War” (Poland)
“Never Look Away” (Germany)
“Roma” (Mexico)
“Shoplifters” (Japan)

What I want to win: Burning
What I think will win: Roma (it's a bit of overkill with the likely best picture win and I'd also be happy to see Cold War or Shoplifters take the statue home, but Roma is a heckuva picture)

Film Editing:

“BlacKkKlansman,” Barry Alexander Brown
“Bohemian Rhapsody,” John Ottman
“Green Book,” Patrick J. Don Vito
“The Favourite,” Yorgos Mavropsaridis
“Vice,” Hank Corwin

What I want to win: The Favourite (the comedic timing in this is so damn good)
What I think will win: Vice (the most editing)

Sound Editing:

“Black Panther,” Benjamin A. Burtt, Steve Boeddeker
“Bohemian Rhapsody,” John Warhurst
“First Man,” Ai-Ling Lee, Mildred Iatrou Morgan
“A Quiet Place,” Ethan Van der Ryn, Erik Aadahl
“Roma,” Sergio Diaz, Skip Lievsay

What I want to win: First Man

Sound Mixing:

“Black Panther”
“Bohemian Rhapsody”
“First Man”
“Roma”
“A Star Is Born”

What I want to win: First Man (I felt the sound in this movie; so good)

Production Design:

“Black Panther,” Hannah Beachler
“First Man,” Nathan Crowley, Kathy Lucas
“The Favourite,” Fiona Crombie, Alice Felton
“Mary Poppins Returns,” John Myhre, Gordon Sim
“Roma,” Eugenio Caballero, Bárbara Enrı́quez

What I want to win: Black Panther
What I think will win: Black Panther (I love everything in this category, but the Afro-futism of BP is so fresh that I expect it'll be rewarded over the wonderful period piece design work of the other excellent nominees)

Original Score:

“BlacKkKlansman,” Terence Blanchard
“Black Panther,” Ludwig Goransson
“If Beale Street Could Talk,” Nicholas Britell
“Isle of Dogs,” Alexandre Desplat
“Mary Poppins Returns,” Marc Shaiman, Scott Wittman

What I want to win: If Beale Street Could Talk
What I think will win: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (Beale Street's score is the stuff of dreams, but I could see the Academy screwing it up)

Original Song:

“All The Stars” from “Black Panther” by Kendrick Lamar, SZA
“I’ll Fight” from “RBG” by Diane Warren, Jennifer Hudson
“The Place Where Lost Things Go” from “Mary Poppins Returns” by Marc Shaiman, Scott Wittman
“Shallow” from “A Star Is Born” by Lady Gaga, Mark Ronson, Anthony Rossomando, Andrew Wyatt and Benjamin Rice
“When A Cowboy Trades His Spurs For Wings” from “The Ballad of Buster Scruggs” by David Rawlings and Gillian Welch

What I want to win: When a Cowboy... (this deserves the win, you Academy cowards!)
What I think will win: Shallow (it still slaps, so I won't hate the Academy's obvious choice)

Makeup and Hair:

“Border”
“Mary Queen of Scots”
“Vice”

Costume Design:

“The Ballad of Buster Scruggs,” Mary Zophres
“Black Panther,” Ruth E. Carter
“The Favourite,” Sandy Powell
“Mary Poppins Returns,” Sandy Powell
“Mary Queen of Scots,” Alexandra Byrne

What I think will win: Black Panther

Visual Effects:

“Avengers: Infinity War”
“Christopher Robin”
“First Man”
“Ready Player One”
“Solo: A Star Wars Story”

What I want to win: First Man (the muthaforkin' moon!)
What I think will win: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (pick a Disney movie for the ABC broadcast)
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject:

RIP Stanley Donen, the father of the modern Hollywood musical. He was 94.

Obituary: Link

Interview from 2013: Link
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject:

RIP Stanley Donen, the father of the modern Hollywood musical. He was 94.

Obituary: Link

Interview from 2013: Link

And here's where you can stream 8 Stanley Donen films now: NYT
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Lars Von Trier's Melancholia is a beautiful love letter to the ache for self-annihilation. Justine is my prophet.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject:

With the 2018-19 Oscars upcoming, I thought it'd be fun to see predictions and favorites from the LG.com community:

Lead Actor:

Christian Bale, “Vice”

Who I want to win: Willem Dafoe (I haven't seen any of these performances except Bale in Vice, and I'd be happy if he won for a thankless role that was much more than just prosthetics. But Dafoe has been underrated as an actor for so many years that I hope he gets the nod)

Caught At Eternity's Gate recently. If there was an actor who looked more like Vincent than Dafoe, I'd like to know who he is. The look was there, you got a sense of the scenes and times in which Vincent walked. His portrayal of the sadness re: Gauguin leaving was great. My only quibble was the 1st person Vincent view for large segments of the end. Yeah, we get that he had difficulty seeing, but having half of the screen blurry was distracting, imo. At least for the amt of time the effect was used. I enjoyed his conversation with the priest.

I've seen Pollock and Basquiat (the movies) and I think Ed Harris and Jeffrey Wright did every bit as good a job as Dafoe, and if their performances went without BA, I fear for Willem. It would be nice to see him or Harris get a Best Actor, feelings about the Academy notwithstanding. It'd be like Jeff Bridges finally getting his.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Best Picture:

“Black Panther”
“BlacKkKlansman”
“Bohemian Rhapsody”
“The Favourite”
“Green Book”
“Roma”
“A Star Is Born”
“Vice”

What film I want to win: The Favourite (but really anything other than BoRap or Green Book)
What film I think will win: Roma (I have it just behind The Favourite among my favorites of the year; this is a tight race and I wouldn't be surprised at any outcome except Vice winning; BlaKkKlansman is my dark horse candidate)

Lead Actor:

Christian Bale, “Vice”

Lead Actress:

Yalitza Aparicio, “Roma”
Glenn Close, “The Wife”
Olivia Colman, “The Favourite”
Lady Gaga, “A Star Is Born”
Melissa McCarthy, “Can You Ever Forgive Me?”

Who I want to win: Olivia Coleman (“I like it when she puts her tongue inside me")
Who I think will win: Glenn Close (out of a strong field full of great choices I assume Close wins a de facto career appreciation award)

Supporting Actor:

Mahershala Ali, “Green Book”
Adam Driver, “BlacKkKlansman”
Sam Elliott, “A Star Is Born”
Richard E. Grant, “Can You Ever Forgive Me?”
Sam Rockwell, “Vice”

Who I want to win: Richard E. Grant (I trust the critics praise on this one)
Who I think will win: Mahershala Ali (no idea if he's good in Reverse Driving Miss Daisy)

Supporting Actress:

Amy Adams, “Vice”
Marina de Tavira, “Roma”
Regina King, “If Beale Street Could Talk”
Emma Stone, “The Favourite”
Rachel Weisz, “The Favourite”

Who I want to win: Regina King
Who I think will win: Regina King (would be a great win over a very strong field)

Director:

Spike Lee, “BlacKkKlansman”
Pawel Pawlikowski, “Cold War”
Yorgos Lanthimos, “The Favourite”
Alfonso Cuarón, “Roma”
Adam McKay, “Vice”

Who I want to win: Pawl Pawlikowski (in an incredibly strong field and with Pawlikowski a surprise entry, I'll go with his gorgeous images and economical storytelling)
Who I think will win: Spike Lee (I'm torn between Lee getting his de facto career award and Roma carrying Cuarón to victory, but I'll go with the split vote)

Animated Feature:

“Incredibles 2,” Brad Bird
“Isle of Dogs,” Wes Anderson
“Mirai,” Mamoru Hosoda
“Ralph Breaks the Internet,” Rich Moore, Phil Johnston
“Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse,” Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, Rodney Rothman

What I want to win: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
What I think will win: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (the best superhero movie of the year gets a much deserved win)

Animated Short:

“Animal Behaviour,” Alison Snowden, David Fine
“Bao,” Domee Shi
“Late Afternoon,” Louise Bagnall
“One Small Step,” Andrew Chesworth, Bobby Pontillas
“Weekends,” Trevor Jimenez

Adapted Screenplay:

“The Ballad of Buster Scruggs,” Joel Coen , Ethan Coen
“BlacKkKlansman,” Charlie Wachtel, David Rabinowitz, Kevin Willmott, Spike Lee
“Can You Ever Forgive Me?,” Nicole Holofcener and Jeff Whitty
“If Beale Street Could Talk,” Barry Jenkins
“A Star Is Born,” Eric Roth, Bradley Cooper, Will Fetters

What I want to win: Can You Ever Forgive Me? (Going with critical consensus again)
What I think will win: BlaKkKlansman (Spike on stage twice in one night? Yes, please)

Original Screenplay:

“The Favourite,” Deborah Davis, Tony McNamara
“First Reformed,” Paul Schrader
“Green Book,” Nick Vallelonga, Brian Currie, Peter Farrelly
“Roma,” Alfonso Cuarón
“Vice,” Adam McKay

What I want to win: First Reformed (I love The Favourite, but Schrader deserves the career nod)
What I think will win: The Favourite (still a great choice)

Cinematography:

“Cold War,” Lukasz Zal
“The Favourite,” Robbie Ryan
“Never Look Away,” Caleb Deschanel
“Roma,” Alfonso Cuarón
“A Star Is Born,” Matthew Libatique

Who I want to win: Lukasz Zal
Who I think will win: Lukasz Zal (cinematographers know what's up and I also expect they'll shy away from Cuarón horning in on their action)

Best Documentary Feature:

“Free Solo,” Jimmy Chin, Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi
“Hale County This Morning, This Evening,” RaMell Ross
“Minding the Gap,” Bing Liu
“Of Fathers and Sons,” Talal Derki
“RBG,” Betsy West, Julie Cohen

What I want to win: Minding the Gap (slightly ahead of Hale County for me, this is a devastatingly intimate portrait of the cycle of domestic violence among fathers and sons)
What I think will win: RBG (meh, it's fine)

Best Documentary Short Subject:

“Black Sheep,” Ed Perkins
“End Game,” Rob Epstein, Jeffrey Friedman
“Lifeboat,” Skye Fitzgerald
“A Night at the Garden,” Marshall Curry
“Period. End of Sentence.,” Rayka Zehtabchi

Best Live Action Short Film:

“Detainment,” Vincent Lambe
“Fauve,” Jeremy Comte
“Marguerite,” Marianne Farley
“Mother,” Rodrigo Sorogoyen
“Skin,” Guy Nattiv

Best Foreign Language Film:

“Capernaum” (Lebanon)
“Cold War” (Poland)
“Never Look Away” (Germany)
“Roma” (Mexico)
“Shoplifters” (Japan)

What I want to win: Burning
What I think will win: Roma (it's a bit of overkill with the likely best picture win and I'd also be happy to see Cold War or Shoplifters take the statue home, but Roma is a heckuva picture)

Film Editing:

“BlacKkKlansman,” Barry Alexander Brown
“Bohemian Rhapsody,” John Ottman
“Green Book,” Patrick J. Don Vito
“The Favourite,” Yorgos Mavropsaridis
“Vice,” Hank Corwin

What I want to win: The Favourite (the comedic timing in this is so damn good)
What I think will win: Vice (the most editing)

Sound Editing:

“Black Panther,” Benjamin A. Burtt, Steve Boeddeker
“Bohemian Rhapsody,” John Warhurst
“First Man,” Ai-Ling Lee, Mildred Iatrou Morgan
“A Quiet Place,” Ethan Van der Ryn, Erik Aadahl
“Roma,” Sergio Diaz, Skip Lievsay

What I want to win: First Man

Sound Mixing:

“Black Panther”
“Bohemian Rhapsody”
“First Man”
“Roma”
“A Star Is Born”

What I want to win: First Man (I felt the sound in this movie; so good)

Production Design:

“Black Panther,” Hannah Beachler
“First Man,” Nathan Crowley, Kathy Lucas
“The Favourite,” Fiona Crombie, Alice Felton
“Mary Poppins Returns,” John Myhre, Gordon Sim
“Roma,” Eugenio Caballero, Bárbara Enrı́quez

What I think will win: Black Panther (I love everything in this category, but the Afro-futism of BP is so fresh that I expect it'll be rewarded over the wonderful period piece design work of the other excellent nominees)

Original Score:

“BlacKkKlansman,” Terence Blanchard
“Black Panther,” Ludwig Goransson
“If Beale Street Could Talk,” Nicholas Britell
“Isle of Dogs,” Alexandre Desplat
“Mary Poppins Returns,” Marc Shaiman, Scott Wittman

What I want to win: If Beale Street Could Talk
What I think will win: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (Beale Street's score is the stuff of dreams, but I could see the Academy screwing it up)

Original Song:

“All The Stars” from “Black Panther” by Kendrick Lamar, SZA
“I’ll Fight” from “RBG” by Diane Warren, Jennifer Hudson
“The Place Where Lost Things Go” from “Mary Poppins Returns” by Marc Shaiman, Scott Wittman
“Shallow” from “A Star Is Born” by Lady Gaga, Mark Ronson, Anthony Rossomando, Andrew Wyatt and Benjamin Rice
“When A Cowboy Trades His Spurs For Wings” from “The Ballad of Buster Scruggs” by David Rawlings and Gillian Welch

What I want to win: When a Cowboy... (this deserves the win, you Academy cowards!)
What I think will win: Shallow (it still slaps, so I won't hate the Academy's obvious choice)

Makeup and Hair:

“Border”
“Mary Queen of Scots”
“Vice”

Costume Design:

“The Ballad of Buster Scruggs,” Mary Zophres
“Black Panther,” Ruth E. Carter
“The Favourite,” Sandy Powell
“Mary Poppins Returns,” Sandy Powell
“Mary Queen of Scots,” Alexandra Byrne

What I think will win: Black Panther

Visual Effects:

“Avengers: Infinity War”
“Christopher Robin”
“First Man”
“Ready Player One”
“Solo: A Star Wars Story”

What I want to win: First Man (the muthaforkin' moon!)
What I think will win: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (pick a Disney movie for the ABC broadcast)

I'm done with the Academy and it's awards at this point. Their proposal to relegate two of the core crafts in filmmaking to the commercial breaks shows how out of touch they are with the whole concept of filmmaking, whether they backed off the idea or not.

That said, I'm not above having a couple of personal choices I would like to see win. I'd like to see Blackkklansmen win. I share your desire to see DeFoe acknowledged. I haven't seen "At Eternity's Gate" yet, but I have seen some clips and DeFoe looks to be the force that he typically is. Malek was certainly the embodiment of Freddie Mercury, but I haven't reconciled how much of the performance is mimicry versus acting. It'd be cool to see McCarthy win simply because it was a bold performance that broke her typical mold. Spiderman for it's very different take on animation style.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

Lead Actor:

Christian Bale, “Vice”

Caught At Eternity's Gate recently. If there was an actor who looked more like Vincent than Dafoe, I'd like to know who he is. The look was there, you got a sense of the scenes and times in which Vincent walked. His portrayal of the sadness re: Gauguin leaving was great. My only quibble was the 1st person Vincent view for large segments of the end. Yeah, we get that he had difficulty seeing, but having half of the screen blurry was distracting, imo. At least for the amt of time the effect was used. I enjoyed his conversation with the priest.

I've seen Pollock and Basquiat (the movies) and I think Ed Harris and Jeffrey Wright did every bit as good a job as Dafoe, and if their performances went without BA, I fear for Willem. It would be nice to see him or Harris get a Best Actor, feelings about the Academy notwithstanding. It'd be like Jeff Bridges finally getting his.

I still need to catch it, but great shout out for Schnabel's underrated Basquiat and Harris' Pollack passion project. If Eternity's Gate is in that company, I'm definitely going to catch it (just not tonight).
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject:

@DMR - right on. Having Disney owned ABC in control of the Oscars for the next near decade is a depressing conflict of interest, imo.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Regina King wins Best Supporting as many expected.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Free Solo wins it over RBG. Nice mini surprise (at least to me). Happy to see such a strong field.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Makeup and Hair to the "Vice" crew. Seems solid, though I know folks who absolutely loved the odd makeup/prosthetics in Border.

Annnnd...awkward playoff.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Ruth Carter wins a long-deserved award for BP. Not an upset, but a great win.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Fine win for Black Panther in production design, though First Man was my preferred choice.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject:

Cuarón wins cinematography! Great win! Still love Zal's work, though.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Ugh, Bohemian Rhapsody wins best Sound Editing, which Twitter tells me often goes to musicals.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Ugh, Bohemian Rhapsody wins best Sound Editing, which Twitter tells me often goes to musicals.

And Best Sound Mixing. People really like to hear Queen riffs at the Oscars, I guess.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 3 of 189
Jump to: