Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:50 pm    Post subject:

Loved Nope. My favorite Peele movie thus far
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:01 pm    Post subject:

American Skin An unarmed Black youth is killed and the officer wasn't tried. The father of the 14-year-old took matters into his hands and had a trial. The climax I thought would happen. My crew was split on what would happen to the father.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject:

Watching Tiffany Cross, The Cross Connection, she was interviewing Billy Porter. The subject was the film Anythings Possible. A journey into the world of a transgender and the difficulty of acceptance by the world, self, and the difficulties of a love relationship. Billy Porter a gay male directed the movie. On a 1 to 10 scale, I give it 7.5

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Has John Lone ever *not* crushed a role? What happened to that guy? How has such a wonderful actor not worked in ~15 years. I mean - almost no work after 50? He's still a complete looker!
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:06 am    Post subject:

I think Cyrano is a pretty good movie and likely a just fine musical, but " Wherever I Fall" written and orchestrated by The National is one of the greatest musical numbers ever penned and staged in film history.

I can see him every Sunday morning
Diving into the fray
He wasn't one of God's best men
But I loved him anyway
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject:

NOPE was a disappointment. The ending left too much to the imagination. Keke Palmer has grown since Akeelah and the Bee.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:16 am    Post subject:

Predator > Predator 2 > Prey > Predators > Alien vs. Predator > The Predator > Alien vs. Predator: Requiem
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:46 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Predator > Predator 2 > Prey > Predators > Alien vs. Predator > The Predator > Alien vs. Predator: Requiem

I haven't been able to really get into Prey. I'm going to try again today.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Watched PREY Naru (Amber Midthunder) played the Arnold Schwarzenegger part to the hilt. I thought Sarii would survive. The ending is predictable. Watchable. I rate it 7.

Another watchable movie. Rogue Agent, NETFLIX. It's about a con man based on a true story. The conclusion and end results are mind-blowing. I rate it 7.5

Watched Elvis today. Colonel Tom Parker took advantage of Elvis. Some blame him for Elvis's troubles. God movie. I rate it 7.

I wonder how much of the movie is authentic and how much is embellished?

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Adam McKay has become a hack whose corpse deserves a good pissin' on from John Sayles and Spike Lee. Great didactic artists are still artists foremost.

ETA: McKay went from a guy who made dumb, entertaining comedies to tedious, on-the-nose, pedantic "message movies" as a smug limousine liberal who's deluded himself into thinking he's progressive and more talented than being the director of Talladega Nights . Anyway, this rant was prompted by him complaining about the Democrats' climate bill on social media, parroting screenwriter and political hack David Sirota's* ignorant talking points. F'em both and Don't Look Up sucked.

* Sirota being a former lobbyist for the coal industry turned into "The Bestest Leftist."

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:09 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

I haven't been able to really get into Prey. I'm going to try again today.

It's not great, but it's a solid, lean genre movie. Predator [when] is a strong hook for a movie, imo.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:47 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
NOPE was a disappointment. The ending left too much to the imagination. Keke Palmer has grown since Akeelah and the Bee.

You know, I'm leaning towards Nope being a great movie. Peele gets genre mashups better than almost anybody else out there and he made an actual fresh movie about movie making. The Gordy and Jupiter Claim sequences are unique (hellish) visions - Peele continues to improve as a dynamic filmmaker and Steven Yeun is great as Jupe getting sucked into the entertainment machine as a former child actor - and I thought he, Kaluuya, and Keke Palmer especially nailed a thrilling ending. I know it's an obvious comparison, but the Spielberg vibes are legit.

Throw in crotchety Michael Wincott dressed like Goth Lawrence of Arabia and a dark, hilarious Chris Kattan reference in the year 2022 and I was pretty ecstatic in the theater. I'll probably come down off the high a bit (although this is my second time seeing it in theaters), but Nope is the Hollywood movie from this summer that's going to really last, imo. This is the movie that interrogates how "representation matters" in Hollywood while still being entertaining from beginning to end. Good, good (bleep).
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:24 pm    Post subject:

2022 so far:

Benediction
Crimes of the Future
Nope

Then a lot of other movies that range from solid and entertaining to bad.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Also, Nope, is a wonderfully attractively shot film: the use of the expanse of the sky at all hours, rich interiors, day and night shots are perfectly lit, total absence of ridiculous color grading. So much better than most Hollywood color corrected dreck.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject:

Shane Black wrote a script for the original one and they rejected it and just threw him in there as Hawkins as a thank you...so he could still have a chance to get a couple of giant kitty jokes into the dialogue. Having seen The Predator, I'm glad his original script got canned. Black's Lethal Weapon 1 script was aite, but I don't like the derivative bits from To Live And Die In LA which came out only 2 yrs prior. Speaking of Danny Glover, all these years later, it turns out that he was the next best main protagonist to Arnie. Because he was a good actor, Pred 2 worked no matter how many fans initially balked at him. And they most definitely lucked out by getting rid of Jean Claude and the original costume. The entire production cast and execs should've at least offered fellatio to Stan Winston. It would've been the right gesture for what he did w/ that concept. Another thing, Kevin Peter Hall RIP. The man under the mask is overlooked, and Kevin was a trained actor although pigeonholed for his height, but he created a alien-y movement for the critter in 1/2. Ever since the first two flicks, all the shorty Predators along w/ crap practicals AND crap CGI don't get the job done. There's a clear talent drop between the 1st one and the one on the slab in The Predator. The original one looked more or less alive.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject:

Day shift, Jamie Fox, snoop, kinda meh, feels low budget but Meegan Goode still got it
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:51 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Day shift, Jamie Fox, snoop, kinda meh, feels low budget but Meegan Goode still got it

I go with meh. Jamie carried the movie. The Black Cowboy lives. Megan definitely still got it.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:45 pm    Post subject:

Promising Young Woman - it's gratifying to see a movie written and directed by a straight woman who has zero understanding of straight men and masculinity as most movies made by men in the modern era have failed to include let alone understand feminity. Female directors can be as stupid about the opposite sex as men - true equality!
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:32 am    Post subject:

Promising Young Woman - it's gratifying to see a movie written and directed by a straight woman who has zero understanding of straight men and masculinity as most movies made by men in the modern era have failed to include let alone understand feminity. Female directors can be as stupid about the opposite sex as men - true equality!

In what way(s) does she mess up? Examples?

"The Outsiders" (83) always had that feel to me, re: woman's interpretation of a largely male social group (well, actually a 16 yr old girl's interpretation, but work with me). The movie was adapted from the book SE (Susan Eloise) Hinton wrote as a teen which was later published. Coppola directed the flick. He's still conflicted about the final product because they cut out numerous scenes (that weren't necessary, imo, scenes cut from movies rarely are necessary). The main thing is that she depicted Greasers who liked to rumble, yet were over-the-top tender to each other. They filmed, but cut out a scene of Lowe in bed w/ C. Thomas Howell where they were in their undies talking softly to each other about life and such. Jeez. Then Swayze and Lowe hug Ponyboy with overwrought affect and cut to Swayze carrying a 16 yr old Pony asleep in his arms like he was 4 yrs old. Uch. She created a world where young dudes were tender, affectionate, and thoughtful. That world don't exist, but the rest was good. Oh, and Pony remembered by heart a Frost poem because teenaged boys remember and recite poetry a lot. That's what they're known for. And in reality, the rich kids wouldn't have even shown up to the rumble in the first place. But other than that, still entertaining. Leif Garrett, yo.

Stay gold, Baron.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Has John Lone ever *not* crushed a role? What happened to that guy? How has such a wonderful actor not worked in ~15 years. I mean - almost no work after 50? He's still a complete looker!

Well he's an Asian dude and Hollywood isn't exactly clamoring to put us/them on screen.

Last edited by jonnybravo on Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject:

I have Prey neck and neck with Predator 2. Some of the camera shots in Prey gave me goose bumps. Predator 2 does get bonus points because I love me some Danny Glover and Bill "Why don't you put HER in charge?" Paxton.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:22 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

Well he's an Asian dude and Hollywood isn't exactly clamoring to put us/them on screen.

True but he doesn’t even do Chinese productions. And it’s not like he’s some outspoken Hong Konger or Taiwan guy
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Did anyone here check out Bullet Train?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Watched Collateral an old Tom Cruise movie. Tom Cruise, Jamie Fox, Jada Pinkett. Have to give it to Tom on this one. He played the part like it was made for him. Has Tom ever made a movie that he didn't run in? Dude is fast, at least he looks fast.

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:14 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Watched Collateral an old Tom Cruise movie. Tom Cruise, Jamie Fox, Jada Pinkett. Have to give it to Tom on this one. He played the part like it was made for him. Has Tom ever made a movie that he didn't run in? Dude is fast, at least he looks fast.

Did you immediately pick up on the obvious foreshadowing of Tomcat dying alone on a subway by the end of the movie? The scene where he shoots the goons who took his briefcase was good draw wise, he clearly had to practice that for awhile to get his speed up to snuff for the character he was playing.

Only flicks that are maybes for Tomcat, imo, were his early ones. He played a teen pyromaniac creep in his first movie appearance in Endless Love (1981). Movie very forgettable besides beautiful Brooke Shields, the song of the same name by Lionel and Diana was the memorable thing about it. I'm sure you remember that song being incessant back then. But it was both Tom's and James Spader's first flicks. That one was more or less him getting any role, which was odd enough for him only for a short while because he started getting lead roles w/in a couple years (Risky Business, 1983). The movie before that, The Outsiders (1983), he was in a bit role and one of his main scenes where he did a somersault off of a car was cut out of the theatrical release.

Rolewise, his role in the sumptuous looking fantasy flick Legend (1985) hasn't been his usual fare ever since, but he was suitable as a hero. The movie is obscure today tho people remember the red devil character in it, which has since become an archetype for red devils. It had a fantastic background and makeup work by the talented Rob Bottin. They were both much better than they needed to be for a movie of that ilk or budget tho. A fire during shooting also caused the destruction of the original James Bond backlot as well. It's entertaining, tho, featuring the also lovely Mia Sara of Ferris Bueller fame. That kind of fantasy role is probably the least like any other role he's done in his career.

Acting wise, tho, he's always been suitable at worst. I think his GOAT role was Charlie Babbitt in Rain Man (1988). His first serious, adult role in the movie that wound up winning Oscar for Best Picture and Actor (Hoffman). As a result, Cruise may have been overshadowed, but nonetheless, he showed he had the goods to do anything beyond Maverick style roles.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 175, 176, 177 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 176 of 189
Jump to: