Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 116, 117, 118 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
What’s everyone’s preference of aspect ratios at home? If it’s not going to take up the whole screen do your prefer the black bars on the sides or top/bottom?

I try to follow the film's original aspect ratio whenever possible.

Sidebars are turrible. Top and bottom bars are acceptable tho it sucks when the movie is only 5 inches tall and the rest of the screen is black.
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Fvcking Åmal:

I love the movie so much. Criterion Collection when?!?

Great movie! What's everyone's favorite Lukas Moodysson film? For me, it's either the above mentioned movie (also known as "Show Me Love") or "Lilya 4-Ever."
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
What’s everyone’s preference of aspect ratios at home? If it’s not going to take up the whole screen do your prefer the black bars on the sides or top/bottom?

Sidebars are turrible. Top and bottom bars are acceptable tho it sucks when the movie is only 5 inches tall and the rest of the screen is black.

There’s a persistent misconception that the bars are robbing you of screen real estate. The bars allow you to get the full frame. You’re getting more picture, not less.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

There’s a persistent misconception that the bars are robbing you of screen real estate. The bars allow you to get the full frame. You’re getting more picture, not less.

The L/R ones are just distracting.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ocho wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

The L/R ones are just distracting.

Not as distracting as when a 4X3 source is stretched to 16x9 to fill the screen.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

True, tho many times it's just superfluous content unless the director filmed it with a widescreen lens. When a movie like that is condensed to achieve a fuller screen, then it's got its own issues.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

To clarify, they ARE robbing you of screen real estate so as not to cut off the outer edges of the picture as originally shot. So you do get all of the image but you get it smaller.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ocho wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

To clarify, they ARE robbing you of screen real estate so as not to cut off the outer edges of the picture as originally shot. So you do get all of the image but you get it smaller.

Yes.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Always.

Right. I didn’t mean manually adjusting. But rather which one do you like better/would you rather if one was eliminated from filmmaking between 4:3 and the wide cinema ratio of 1.85:1 or 2.23:1.

Personally I think wide often looks better but 4:3 feels bigger so I’ve kinda started to like it more.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
ocho wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Always.

Right. I didn’t mean manually adjusting. But rather which one do you like better/would you rather if one was eliminated from filmmaking between 4:3 and the wide cinema ratio of 1.85:1 or 2.23:1.

Personally I think wide often looks better but 4:3 feels bigger so I’ve kinda started to like it more.

I shudder to think what A24 filmmakers would do if we abolished 4:3.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
ocho wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Always.

And Zach Snyder. Lol

The way A24 and even some tv shows often use it is really good— I feel like it gives what you’re watching a more intimate/personal feel.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
ocho wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
ocho wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Always.

And Zach Snyder. Lol

The way A24 and even some tv shows often use it is really good— I feel like it gives what you’re watching a more intimate/personal feel.

I think in some cases it’s effective but it has become a bit of a parody of itself. I cackled when I heard the Snyder Masturbathon was in 4:3.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
ocho wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

True, tho many times it's just superfluous content unless the director filmed it with a widescreen lens. When a movie like that is condensed to achieve a fuller screen, then it's got its own issues.

Not many times at all. Directors don’t waste frame space and choose their lenses accordingly. 4x3 in films has always been an extraction of original framing for TV and DVD distribution (pre BluRay). Even when they shot TV on film while protecting for 4x3, they still framed for the wider aspect ratio. That’s why they went back remastered so many TV shows for HD in the ‘00’s - a thing I did for a few years. The only intentional exception I am aware of is David Chase as a Producer supposedly insisting they shoot The Wire solely for 4x3.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject:

Amazon buying MGM to strip mine it for IP content is depressing as hell.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject:

Does that mean Amazon makes a 007 series in the near future?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

I think EON Productions Limited and Danjaq LLC will have a say in that.

Quote:
EON Productions Limited and Danjaq LLC are wholly owned and controlled by the Wilson/Broccoli family. Danjaq is the US based company that co-owns, with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, the copyright to the existing James Bond films and controls the right to produce future James Bond films.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

I think EON Productions Limited and Danjaq LLC will have a say in that.

Quote:
EON Productions Limited and Danjaq LLC are wholly owned and controlled by the Wilson/Broccoli family. Danjaq is the US based company that co-owns, with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, the copyright to the existing James Bond films and controls the right to produce future James Bond films.

The Broccoli family is hands on.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Anyone watched Woman in the Window on Netflix?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Wow, so Cruella is a Ms. 45 origin story?!
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Not yet but it’s in the queue. I’ve heard mostly good things but also that since it’s pulpy the people who wanted realism don’t like it. I’ll report back once I watch it (nba games and baseball every night have cut down my movie time lol)
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

But hey, there’s a bright side. After the old quiz show scandal, it became a law that all the footage of game shows where contestants can win something have to be preserved. So if a game show from a little while ago, like say, the Apprentice, had been sold to MGM by its creator, MGM would own the complete video history of the making of that show. Not saying Bezos would have some interest in doing anything with that footage, but there you have it...
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject:

It is stunningly bad. I can’t believe all those actors were attracted to this thing.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
ocho wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Always.

I lost track of my boxiest aspect ratio indie films of the 2010s thread, but if I remember correctly The Lighthouse just beat out Jauja and Meek's Cutoff.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

It is stunningly bad. I can’t believe all those actors were attracted to this thing.

Interesting. That echoes what I've read from a lot of critics I like, but it looks pretty and super indulgent, which are my kryptonite.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Interesting. That echoes what I've read from a lot of critics I like, but it looks pretty and super indulgent, which are my kryptonite.

Nobody is having fun here. It’s just a story you’ve seen a million times before done poorly. You’ll see every twist coming from a mile away. Looks horrible. It plays like a bad stage adaptation of a student film with a big budget.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 116, 117, 118 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 117 of 189
Jump to: