View previous topic :: View next topic  
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Mad Max 1 AND 2 aka The Road Warrior. Gotta do both despite the Mel. He doesn't say much in those movies btw. I tend to like him in those because of that. He's pretty good when he's working understated and conveyed a lot in Pt 2 just by looks and nods.

And Leor, you might wanna make sure you've gotten thru Mean Streets, Raging Bull, and Taxi Driver if you haven't already seen all 3. They're kind of rudimentary must-sees if you're diving into the older stuff. Marty and Bobby and Harvey's youthful beginnings.

Yeah for sure. I was trying to keep it limited to 70s films. But if we're talking sequels and Mad Max series, The Road Warrior is tops for me. The Mad Max series is one of the rare instances where I really like all films, including Thunderdome which is generally viewed as the weak link.

I actually remembered that Road Warrior was 1981 before I read this, so I edited my prior one. Even still, it's close enough to the 70s to be a must see. The Humungus commands it. I agree. I have Road Warrior, Part 1, and Thunderdome in that order. I don't hate Thunderdome, I enjoy the Tina Turner parts, but it kinda turned into a kiddie fest. Still, I usually watch it all the way thru and I liked the story time scene where the teenager told the younger ones about the history that they concocted themselves as a group that knew nothing but what came from a few artifacts and their imaginations. But Road Warrior is tops at least for the first 3. I'm still trying consider where the newer one fits in. A lot of folks have it at 1 already. How much of that is due to the CGI and what not? I think there's something aobut the mundane-ness of 1 and 2 and the lack of all that new stuff that is charming in a way. I like Wez and his male friend on a chain. They are VERY, VERY good friends from outward appearance.

I feel like a lot of the praise for the Tom Hardy one was reactionary. I don't deny that it's a very good film, and certainly visually engaging, perhaps even more ambitious than its predecessors. I think that audiences, myself included, were just eager to watch George Miller return to his roots. Much like Ridley Scott coming back to Alien-verse with Prometheus. But it doesn't come close to The Road Warrior in terms of introducing a novel concept and then really knocking out of the park with its post-apocalyptic world design. The opening scene to The Road Warrior alone is insanely good, and on its own just a great piece of action film making. I love the shot where it pans vertically on Wez and his Turbo Lover (always thought he favored one of the guitar players in Judas Priest) with the road horizon as the backdrop and the ominous score. There's something so great and dystopian about that shot. Just little things like that that really stir your imagination. I rarely get bits like that in modern action films these days.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
^ The original or the Denzel/Travolta one?

The original by far. I thought the remake was lesser Tony Scott and Travolta is terrible in it. Denzel's good, though.

Tony Scott 2000s: Man on Fire > Deja Vu > Domino > Spy Game = Taking of Pelham 123

On the topic of remakes, I watched the original The Getaway last night for the first time and had completely forgotten about the Alec Baldwin remake.

It had Basinger at her hottest, so that's probably why I recall liking what was by all accounts a mediocre at best movie.

Obviously '70s Peckinpah made the much darker, more melancholic original.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

The original by far. I thought the remake was lesser Tony Scott and Travolta is terrible in it. Denzel's good, though.

Tony Scott 2000s: Man on Fire > Deja Vu > Domino > Spy Game = Taking of Pelham 123

I’m mostly there with you except I really liked the chemistry between Pitt and Redford in spy game. It was a nice little yarn and they made it sizzle.

It's been about 20 years since I've seen it, so a revisit could easily knock it above the Pelham remake. Lord, Travolta is so bad in that.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

I’m mostly there with you except I really liked the chemistry between Pitt and Redford in spy game. It was a nice little yarn and they made it sizzle.

It's been about 20 years since I've seen it, so a revisit could easily knock it above the Pelham remake. Lord, Travolta is so bad in that.

“Ain’t it cool”
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Travolta is a movie star, not an actor. He's at his best when he can let loose and embrace his inner weirdo.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject:

I enjoyed Travolta in Get Shorty.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Mad Max 1 AND 2 aka The Road Warrior. Gotta do both despite the Mel. He doesn't say much in those movies btw. I tend to like him in those because of that. He's pretty good when he's working understated and conveyed a lot in Pt 2 just by looks and nods.

And Leor, you might wanna make sure you've gotten thru Mean Streets, Raging Bull, and Taxi Driver if you haven't already seen all 3. They're kind of rudimentary must-sees if you're diving into the older stuff. Marty and Bobby and Harvey's youthful beginnings.

Yeah for sure. I was trying to keep it limited to 70s films. But if we're talking sequels and Mad Max series, The Road Warrior is tops for me. The Mad Max series is one of the rare instances where I really like all films, including Thunderdome which is generally viewed as the weak link.

I actually remembered that Road Warrior was 1981 before I read this, so I edited my prior one. Even still, it's close enough to the 70s to be a must see. The Humungus commands it. I agree. I have Road Warrior, Part 1, and Thunderdome in that order. I don't hate Thunderdome, I enjoy the Tina Turner parts, but it kinda turned into a kiddie fest. Still, I usually watch it all the way thru and I liked the story time scene where the teenager told the younger ones about the history that they concocted themselves as a group that knew nothing but what came from a few artifacts and their imaginations. But Road Warrior is tops at least for the first 3. I'm still trying consider where the newer one fits in. A lot of folks have it at 1 already. How much of that is due to the CGI and what not? I think there's something aobut the mundane-ness of 1 and 2 and the lack of all that new stuff that is charming in a way. I like Wez and his male friend on a chain. They are VERY, VERY good friends from outward appearance.

I feel like a lot of the praise for the Tom Hardy one was reactionary. I don't deny that it's a very good film, and certainly visually engaging, perhaps even more ambitious than its predecessors. I think that audiences, myself included, were just eager to watch George Miller return to his roots. Much like Ridley Scott coming back to Alien-verse with Prometheus. But it doesn't come close to The Road Warrior in terms of introducing a novel concept and then really knocking out of the park with its post-apocalyptic world design. The opening scene to The Road Warrior alone is insanely good, and on its own just a great piece of action film making. I love the shot where it pans vertically on Wez and his Turbo Lover (always thought he favored one of the guitar players in Judas Priest) with the road horizon as the backdrop and the ominous score. There's something so great and dystopian about that shot. Just little things like that that really stir your imagination. I rarely get bits like that in modern action films these days.

That's very well put and written. Not much for me to even add to that. I agree with all of it, especially re: the opening scene of TRW and I chuckled at Turbo Lover. That's hilarious especially when you watch the music video to that song which is motorcycle based and dystopian in nature (I think). I like the audio in that scene. I've seen it a million times on YT, that part. The sound of Wez's bike powering down and the camera pans up to him and the kid on the chain sitting on a heavily modified bike w/ a wool cushion instead of a seat. They did a great job even in that of futurizing all of the vehicles that would've broken down by then and the survivors, both good and bad, had to add and remove parts to create things that don't look anything like they did while they were around during the past civilization. The leader of the good tribe wears football pads as body armor, etc. The Humungus is the lord simply because he's the biggest -- very animalistic. Wez wants to be autonomous, but even he gets squeezed into submission by The Humungus, who himself is somewhat benevolent to his tribe of rapists, killers, and plunderers. There are so many fascinating things that aren't explicitly explained to the viewer, which allows the viewer the chance to figure things out for his/herself. Gibson as an antihero was great because he was turned silent after years on the road, yet he still shows flashes of humanity here and there.

This is unfort a MovieClips clip, but here's the same clip w/ much better, cleaner, and louder audio. I have comments in there. That's the version I prefer although it cuts short. MovieClips never fails to ruin shh like that.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Wed May 12, 2021 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:

I also like him in De Palma's Blow Out
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:

In that vein, BE COOL was pretty good.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject:

Can't wait for the new Conjouring on HBOmax next month
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject:

The Road Warrior is the best Mad Max movie, IMO. Its just so well done. Wez is magnetic in that movie, its such a great performance.

I really enjoyed Fury Road (the Tom Hardy one) because its pretty much non stop action and its very entertaining. I thought Hardy's performance was indifferent and the movie itself was not very deep. The whole movie is pretty much a long car chase lol.

A couple of good 70's movies that I don't think have been mentioned yet:

Dog Day Afternoon
The Conversation
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

In that vein, BE COOL was pretty good.

ISN'T IT COOOOOOL?!?!, JODIE...
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject:

Cochese wrote:
The Road Warrior is the best Mad Max movie, IMO. Its just so well done. Wez is magnetic in that movie, its such a great performance.

I really enjoyed Fury Road (the Tom Hardy one) because its pretty much non stop action and its very entertaining. I thought Hardy's performance was indifferent and the movie itself was not very deep. The whole movie is pretty much a long car chase lol.

I only saw it once and was kinda turned off. Even the, "That....is a trap" lady couldn't hold my demented attention for too long. Maybe I need to see it again w/ a fresh mind, but I remembered a long, "GET THA GUUUURL!!!" chase and I thought The Toecutter was a more interesting villain in Pt 1, tbh. The guy playing him was the original Toecutter, yes, we all know. He was more mysterious in the 1st movie and he wasn't even my fave character from that one. I wanted a backstory on The Night Rider (that skag and his floozy) and Bubba Zanetti.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on Damian Chazelle? I thought all 3 of his movies — Whiplash, La La Land, and First Man — were great; they’re some of my favorite movies.

While musicals aren’t for everyone I’m curious how the classic movie fans liked LLL’s nods to countless classics.

With FM it really showed the weight of what NASA accomplished and the risks involved. But I also love how personal the movie is, showing the grief that the Armstrong’s were dealing with.
It also has one of the most remarkable imax transitions I’ve ever seen (Hunger Games: Catching Fire is the only other one that comes to mind).
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject:

TCM is holding its annual film festival digitally again this year due to the pandemic, and has partnered with parent company HBOMax to make the festival available to Max subscribers from 5/6-5/13.

Check out the slate of classic films, interviews, shorts, etc. if you have the chance. I'm personally looking forward to watching Scarecrow (1973) for the first time.

This ends tonight, though it looks like some of the movies in the festival may carry through to at least the end of the month.

Scarecrow is some of Pacino and Hackman's best work and is as exceedingly bleak as you'd expect from a buddy road picture from the director of The Panic in Needle Park. I really hope this gets an updated Blu-Ray release.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
What’s everyone’s thoughts on Damian Chazelle? I thought all 3 of his movies — Whiplash, La La Land, and First Man — were great; they’re some of my favorite movies.

While musicals aren’t for everyone I’m curious how the classic movie fans liked LLL’s nods to countless classics.

With FM it really showed the weight of what NASA accomplished and the risks involved. But I also love how personal the movie is, showing the grief that the Armstrong’s were dealing with.
It also has one of the most remarkable imax transitions I’ve ever seen (Hunger Games: Catching Fire is the only other one that comes to mind).

He's made four feature length films starting with indie Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench (2009).

I'm somewhat more interested in his career trajectory than the individual movies so far as he's risen from indie surprise to Hollywood darling with increasingly larger budgets - with his star backer in Ryan Gosling - only for his "auteur in space" movie to underperform at the box office and during awards season. He had a well-received mini-series on Netflix that came and went during the pandemic, so now where does he go? How did he rise so fast between 2014 and 2018? And is he no longer a Hollywood golden boy after the blank check for First Man bounced?

I enjoy listening to jazz as much as the next person, but the variations on his masochistic, obsessive artist stand-in tend to not interest me. On the other hand, he has a distinctive voice, a love of filmmaking craft and Hollywood spectacle, and I appreciated all three of his movies to varying degrees with First Man being my favorite (I'm a sucker for outer space movies and the opening sequence was masterful). I hope Hollywood doesn't relegate him to television even if I'd prefer other directors be handed FM's budget to play with.

Re: LaLaLand, I've written here before it's a shame there's no longer a stable of bankable triple threat stars like back in the old Arthur Freed MGM days because outside of the sheer charismatic vulnerability of Emma Stone during her audition song, I thought the Gosling/Stone numbers failed to elevate the movie despite Chapelle flexing his directorial muscles. Both of them clearly put in a lot of work on the dance steps and Stone's raw, sincere voice in the audition matches the material well, but a great part of the transporting quality of classic Hollywood musicals was seeing great song & dance stars be otherworldly - Gene Kelly's athletic bravado; the effortless grace of Astaire and Rogers; Judy belting those high notes that crush your heart.

I know LLL doesn't get financing without stars attached, Gosling and Stone give wonderful acting performances (especially Stone), Chazelle designed a handful of clever set pieces, and Justin Hurwitz is the low key MVP. But, man, imagine the Hollywood hills meet cute/seduction dance in LLL with Gene Kelly and Leslie Caron.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject:

TCM is holding its annual film festival digitally again this year due to the pandemic, and has partnered with parent company HBOMax to make the festival available to Max subscribers from 5/6-5/13.

Check out the slate of classic films, interviews, shorts, etc. if you have the chance. I'm personally looking forward to watching Scarecrow (1973) for the first time.

This ends tonight, though it looks like some of the movies in the festival may carry through to at least the end of the month.

Scarecrow is some of Pacino and Hackman's best work and is as exceedingly bleak as you'd expect from a buddy road picture from the director of The Panic in Needle Park. I really hope this gets an updated Blu-Ray release.

Scarecrow is fantastic. But it's also one of the saddest movies I've ever seen.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject:

It’s a shame First Man fizzled critically and at the box office. We need more non-Marvel blockbusters for adults.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Scarecrow is fantastic. But it's also one of the saddest movies I've ever seen.

"It woulda been a boy, Francis. Never even got born."

"It's a boy!!"

loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject:

I didn’t know he had a 4th movie. I do know he had something in the works for the future which I believe got postponed last year due to covid. I’ll have to check that one out.

I agree that the singing could’ve been better but the acting and chemistry between the two was so good it made up for their lacking in other areas— at least for me. Hurwitz definitely had a huge mark on LLL but I also think his score was nearly as important for FM, it really set the mood for those quiet, intimate scenes and really elevated the show-don’t-tell emotional scenes.

Speaking of space movies, did you guys like 2001? I watched it for the first time recently and I hate to admit I just didn’t enjoy it. The visuals are incredible at times, but the overall movie I just found kinda meh. I certainly prefer the movie that it inspired (interstellar) over it.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Feel like pairing up All That Jazz and The Brown Bunny. Any other movies as grossly self-indulgent?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject:

Feel like pairing up All That Jazz and The Brown Bunny. Any other movies as grossly self-indulgent?

Coffee and Cigarettes
Hateful Eight
A Serious Man
Only God Forgives
JFK
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Coffee and Cigarettes
Hateful Eight
A Serious Man
Only God Forgives
JFK

8 1/2

ETA: All That Jazz is easily the greatest movie I dislike. Third time watching it in 20 years, and I will rewatch it again several times if I continue to live 20 more, and I don't know that I will ever like it.

ETAII: Fosse really created the greatest cinematic villain of all-time, didn't he?

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Thu May 13, 2021 7:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
I didn’t know he had a 4th movie. I do know he had something in the works for the future which I believe got postponed last year due to covid. I’ll have to check that one out.

I agree that the singing could’ve been better but the acting and chemistry between the two was so good it made up for their lacking in other areas— at least for me. Hurwitz definitely had a huge mark on LLL but I also think his score was nearly as important for FM, it really set the mood for those quiet, intimate scenes and really elevated the show-don’t-tell emotional scenes.

Speaking of space movies, did you guys like 2001? I watched it for the first time recently and I hate to admit I just didn’t enjoy it. The visuals are incredible at times, but the overall movie I just found kinda meh. I certainly prefer the movie that it inspired (interstellar) over it.

Probably worth returning to 2001 at least once more in future years. You still may not like it then, but I came to appreciate it more on a second viewing.

Do you like Kubrick overall?
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Yeah First Man was excellent and hit all the right beats. Whiplash, despite overplaying its hand at times as far as its subject matter, is still a very compelling tale of psych-warfare and Tellers’s character arc is quite ingenious. Simmons is a great villain too. I agree that La La Land falls flat as a musical, but I still took to its sincere thesis on the chase for fame, success and its somber yet satisfying take on compromise once you don’t quite get there. Can’t find much fault with Chazelle, I find his work to be very, very consistent.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 112, 113, 114 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 113 of 189
Jump to: