PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject:

^Available on some combo of youtube, amazon, hbo max, and criterion channel
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
I've started to go back and look at older movies, as there were so many great ones that people overlook because they're a little older...and because I'm finding that a lot of newer movies today kind of suck, if I'm being honest.

Can someone give me recommendations for good 60's/70's movies? Some of my favorites are Godfather I/II (obviously), Chinatown, The Graduate, Manchurian Candidate, 2001, anything Hitchcock, etc.

The Conversation
Klute
All the Presidents Men
Dog Day Afternoon
Barry Lyndon
Badlands
The Killing of a Chinese Bookie
The Last Waltz
Carrie
Scenes From a Marriage
Paper Moon

I saw the tail end of Paper Moon the other day on cable in the wee hours. Unfortunately, it was the only or final showing of it on that channel. I was surprised that it was even on.

Ooh, Barry Lyndon. We've talked about that one in the past. Brilliant lighting and savant camera selection and work by Kubrick. He employed a bunch of master techniques to make that movie look like an actual glimpse into the 1700s. Many scenes looked like old master paintings and the pace was so slow, that there were shots where the Countess and her children were sitting totally still w/ her dress arranged with numerous, complex folds to look like something painted by Rembrandt and the like. The candle lit scenes are sumptuous. The duel scene is probably the most memorable and it was also finely shot and Kubrick was had a deft sense of perspective. I personally think the pace suits the time and the characters. It mostly deals with nobility and/or wealthy people who were more or less haughty by nature and unrushed. The regular folk shown at the beginning moved at a more normal pace. As with many Kubrick movies all the way to Eyes Wide Shut, there are many things that are quizzical about it. It's a beautiful movie, however. It achieves the status of real art, imo. Leor, know going in that this is a long movie cut into 2 halves. There's an intermission screen that last for 5 minutes. But it's worth the full view even if it takes 2 sittings.

Leor, check out Marathon Man (1976) as well. Dustin Hoffman and Roy Scheider and William Devane. Directed by John Schlesinger who directed Midnight Cowboy. It was one of Laurence Olivier's final "toothy" roles and he was nominated for Best Supporting Actor as the most memorable character of the film as a sadistic ex-Nazi war criminal who comes out of hiding for a certain reason. He also happened to be a dentist and he demonstrates his skills late in the film. The question, "Is it safe?" is a memorable 70s movie line. Excellent suspense movie. Are you a fan of Marathon Man, ocho?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
ocho wrote:
Halflife wrote:
ocho wrote:
Don’t support Mel Gibson movies.

really? Hes one of the most talented guys in the industry.

1. No he isn’t.
2. He’s a colossal racist and an anti-Semite and a domestic abuser. Don’t support his movies.

As someone who has downloaded and watched Roman Polanski's (excellent) J'Accuse (2019), owns Braveheart, Apocalypto, and Dragged Across Concrete on physical media, and admires if not likes Passion of the Christ, I am probably not one to discuss ethical consumption of art.

But as a movie weirdo, I feel comfortable writing that Gibson is a very talented director and a handsome, charismatic leading man along with being a scuzzy anti-Semite and wife beater.

I’ll agree about his charismatic screen presence. As a director I find his stuff boring and geared almost exclusively for the middle aged dad crowd. Also Passion is trash. Viewed in total, not nearly enough to offset him being a hateful bigot who punches women in the face. (bleep) him and (bleep) any studio that puts out his stuff.

His martyr fixation and fetish for pain/violence/gore fascinates me. I think its much weirder and auteurist than middle aged dad standard fare, which maybe strays as far from the DC, MCU, and F&F franchises as a Gerard Butler movie these days. Even as a gruesome action flick, Apocalypto doesn't scream suburban dad aesthetic like Braveheart or Ford v. Ferrari do.

Aesthetically I wish there were more non-racist, non-abusive Hollywood directors who could direct action scenes as well as he does, but that doesn't count as me advocating he continue to make new movies.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I personally think the pace suits the time and the characters

I agree. I never understood that critique. You wouldn’t sprint through a museum. You’re meant to stroll through it leisurely, stopping occasionally to admire and consider.

Quote:
Are you a fan of Marathon Man, ocho?

Haven’t seen it. Will check it out!
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
ocho wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
I've started to go back and look at older movies, as there were so many great ones that people overlook because they're a little older...and because I'm finding that a lot of newer movies today kind of suck, if I'm being honest.

Can someone give me recommendations for good 60's/70's movies? Some of my favorites are Godfather I/II (obviously), Chinatown, The Graduate, Manchurian Candidate, 2001, anything Hitchcock, etc.

The Conversation
Klute
All the Presidents Men
Dog Day Afternoon
Barry Lyndon
Badlands
The Killing of a Chinese Bookie
The Last Waltz
Carrie
Scenes From a Marriage
Paper Moon

Mash
Gloria
Mikey and Nicky
Husbands
A woman under the influence
F for Fake
California Split
McCabe & Mrs Miller
The Gambler
Easy Rider
The Dirty Dozen
Lolita
Dirty Harry
The Honeymoon Killers
The Apartment
Mr Majestyk
The Mechanic
The White Buffalo
Blow Up
Blow Out
Patterns (50's)
Farewell Friend
Sitting Target

Crime/Action:

A Touch of Zen
Across 110th Street
Assault on Precinct 13
Blue Collar
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia
Charlie Varrick
Convoy
Drunken Master
Duel
Female Prisoner Scorpion: 701 (and sequels)
Le Circle Rouge
Mean Streets
Money Movers
Point Blank
Sorcerer
Straight Time
Straw Dogs
Targets
The Friends of Eddie Coyle
The Getaway
The Long Goodbye
The Silent Partner
The Train
Tokyo Drifter
Yakuza
The Taking of Pelham 123
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:

I agree. I never understood that critique. You wouldn’t sprint through a museum. You’re meant to stroll through it leisurely, stopping occasionally to admire and consider.

Quote:

Is it safe? Is it safe?!?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
ocho wrote:
Halflife wrote:
ocho wrote:

1. No he isn’t.
2. He’s a colossal racist and an anti-Semite and a domestic abuser. Don’t support his movies.

As someone who has downloaded and watched Roman Polanski's (excellent) J'Accuse (2019), owns Braveheart, Apocalypto, and Dragged Across Concrete on physical media, and admires if not likes Passion of the Christ, I am probably not one to discuss ethical consumption of art.

But as a movie weirdo, I feel comfortable writing that Gibson is a very talented director and a handsome, charismatic leading man along with being a scuzzy anti-Semite and wife beater.

I’ll agree about his charismatic screen presence. As a director I find his stuff boring and geared almost exclusively for the middle aged dad crowd. Also Passion is trash. Viewed in total, not nearly enough to offset him being a hateful bigot who punches women in the face. (bleep) him and (bleep) any studio that puts out his stuff.

His martyr fixation and fetish for pain/violence/gore fascinates me. I think its much weirder and auteurist than middle aged dad standard fare, which maybe strays as far from the DC, MCU, and F&F franchises as a Gerard Butler movie these days. Even as a gruesome action flick, Apocalypto doesn't scream suburban dad aesthetic like Braveheart or Ford v. Ferrari do.

Aesthetically I wish there were more non-racist, non-abusive Hollywood directors who could direct action scenes as well as he does, but that doesn't count as me advocating he continue to make new movies.

Fair enough, although I do still think that’s who his audience is (I think Braveheart would show up on a lot of All Time lists from frat boys and suburban dads.) I don’t find his style as appealing as you do and I admittedly haven’t seen a bunch of his movies because (bleep) him. From what I have seen I tend to roll my eyes a lot at the screen. I think his movies match his personality.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
ocho wrote:
ocho wrote:
Halflife wrote:
ocho wrote:

1. No he isn’t.

Fair enough, although I do still think that’s who his audience is (I think Braveheart would show up on a lot of All Time lists from frat boys and suburban dads.) I don’t find his style as appealing as you do and I admittedly haven’t seen a bunch of his movies because (bleep) him. From what I have seen I tend to roll my eyes a lot at the screen. I think his movies match his personality.

I guess I just really like Apocalypto. But enough digital ink has been wasted here already on the guy.

On a positive note, I rewatched The Taking of Pelham 123 again recently, and I don't think there's a more fun movie ever made.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject:

^ The original or the Denzel/Travolta one?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

The original by far. I thought the remake was lesser Tony Scott and Travolta is terrible in it. Denzel's good, though.

Tony Scott 2000s: Man on Fire > Deja Vu > Domino > Spy Game = Taking of Pelham 123
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

The original by far. I thought the remake was lesser Tony Scott and Travolta is terrible in it. Denzel's good, though.

Tony Scott 2000s: Man on Fire > Deja Vu > Domino > Spy Game = Taking of Pelham 123

On the topic of remakes, I watched the original The Getaway last night for the first time and had completely forgotten about the Alec Baldwin remake.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

I’m mostly there with you except I really liked the chemistry between Pitt and Redford in spy game. It was a nice little yarn and they made it sizzle.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:

Mostly action and some comedy/drama

All That Jazz
American Graffiti
Slap Shot
Animal House
Mad Max
Duel
Where Eagles Dare
Funeral In Berlin
Ice Station Zebra
Force 10 From Navarrone
Dirty Harry
Bullitt
The Ipcress File
The Way of The Dragon
Enter The Dragon
The 36th Chamber of Shaolin
The Magnificent Butcher
Sorcerer
Rolling Thunder
Patton
A Fistful of Dynamite
Keoma
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Ooh. Please catch that one while you still remember it. It's got some great suspenseful scenes in it and an excellent cast and director. It's a 70s movie that feels like it's a 70s movie. It's one of the few 70s flicks I own. You won't be disappointed. LO knocks it out of the park as rare-for-him evil character. I'm gonna check out Klute. I've heard of it a couple times in the last 6 months from different places. I remember watching Marty talk about it from somewhere.

I'll add to the Lyndon pace quote that it's not dreadfully slow for the entire film. It's only certain sections of it that work well with that pace. I think that's just a case of critics and fans who didn't like it concocting the easiest criticism they could come up with on the fly.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Mostly action and some comedy/drama

All That Jazz
American Graffiti
Slap Shot
Animal House
Mad Max
Duel
Where Eagles Dare
Funeral In Berlin
Ice Station Zebra
Force 10 From Navarrone
Dirty Harry
Bullitt
The Ipcress File
The Way of The Dragon
Enter The Dragon
The 36th Chamber of Shaolin
The Magnificent Butcher
Sorcerer
Rolling Thunder
Patton
A Fistful of Dynamite
Keoma

Mad Max 1 AND 2 aka The Road Warrior. Road Warrior is 1981, but it's still imperative. And re: Mel, he doesn't say much either of those movies. I tend to like him in those because of that. He's pretty good when he's understated and he was able to convey quite a bit in Pt 2 just by looks and nods.

And Leor, you might wanna make sure you've gotten thru Mean Streets, Raging Bull, and Taxi Driver if you haven't already seen all 3. They're kind of rudimentary must-sees if you're diving into the older stuff. Marty and Bobby and Harvey's youthful beginnings.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Tue May 11, 2021 10:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

I’m mostly there with you except I really liked the chemistry between Pitt and Redford in spy game. It was a nice little yarn and they made it sizzle.

I agree. I would have Spy Game further up the list.

I also agree with BVH regarding Travolta in P123. I don’t know if he’s ever really been good at playing the bad guy; Face/Off is the exception but I think it’s because Woo and Cage matched his crazy/over the top style.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

I agree. I would have Spy Game further up the list.

I also agree with BVH regarding Travolta in P123. I don’t know if he’s ever really been good at playing the bad guy; Face/Off is the exception but I think it’s because Woo and Cage matched his crazy/over the top style.

Travolta is usually a pretty poor actor with very limited range and a tendency to fall back on a few ticks. But hey, at least there wasn’t a dance scene in Pelham. I might point out that the always brilliant James Gandolfini was great in that film.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject:

I thought Phenomenon might have been the best performance anyone got out of Travolta.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Speaking of Gandolfini and Redford, I’m reminded of their movie The Last Castle.

Yeah, JT isn’t great most of the time but it really shows when he’s a villain. I’ll always enjoy Vincent Vega though. Phenomenon is a nice mention. Too bad he followed that up with Michael, lol
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Mad Max 1 AND 2 aka The Road Warrior. Gotta do both despite the Mel. He doesn't say much in those movies btw. I tend to like him in those because of that. He's pretty good when he's working understated and conveyed a lot in Pt 2 just by looks and nods.

And Leor, you might wanna make sure you've gotten thru Mean Streets, Raging Bull, and Taxi Driver if you haven't already seen all 3. They're kind of rudimentary must-sees if you're diving into the older stuff. Marty and Bobby and Harvey's youthful beginnings.

Yeah for sure. I was trying to keep it limited to 70s films. But if we're talking sequels and Mad Max series, The Road Warrior is tops for me. The Mad Max series is one of the rare instances where I really like all films, including Thunderdome which is generally viewed as the weak link.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I thought Phenomenon might have been the best performance anyone got out of Travolta.

I liked him in Broken Arrow. Slater "You're outa your mind man." Travolta "Ain't it cool?"

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu May 13, 2021 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Travolta is usually a pretty poor actor with very limited range and a tendency to fall back on a few ticks. But hey, at least there wasn’t a dance scene in Pelham. I might point out that the always brilliant James Gandolfini was great in that film.

Saturday Night Fever was a pretty good 70s flick. Better than you would think. Travolta didn't stand out as a detriment because his character was a meathead. It wasn't a stretch to see Vinny Barbarino as Tony in SNF. Reminds me of Keanu in River's Edge (1986). He played a HS stoner/metalhead which wasn't a stretch for him.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Is it safe? Is it safe?!?

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-0d6b20b2b11938066f06711982f4534a
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:37 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Mad Max 1 AND 2 aka The Road Warrior. Gotta do both despite the Mel. He doesn't say much in those movies btw. I tend to like him in those because of that. He's pretty good when he's working understated and conveyed a lot in Pt 2 just by looks and nods.

Yeah for sure. I was trying to keep it limited to 70s films. But if we're talking sequels and Mad Max series, The Road Warrior is tops for me. The Mad Max series is one of the rare instances where I really like all films, including Thunderdome which is generally viewed as the weak link.

I actually remembered that Road Warrior was 1981 before I read this, so I edited my prior one. Even still, it's close enough to the 70s to be a must see. The Humungus commands it. I agree. I have Road Warrior, Part 1, and Thunderdome in that order. I don't hate Thunderdome, I enjoy the Tina Turner parts, but it kinda turned into a kiddie fest. Still, I usually watch it all the way thru and I liked the story time scene where the teenager told the younger ones about the history that they concocted themselves as a group that knew nothing but what came from a few artifacts and their imaginations. But Road Warrior is tops at least for the first 3. I'm still trying consider where the newer one fits in. A lot of folks have it at 1 already. How much of that is due to the CGI and what not? I think there's something aobut the mundane-ness of 1 and 2 and the lack of all that new stuff that is charming in a way. I like Wez and his male friend on a chain. They are VERY, VERY good friends from outward appearance.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject:

Quick! The mods are asleep!

Gotta post "Steam Heat:"

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 111, 112, 113 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 112 of 189
Jump to: