The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 110, 111, 112 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
I watched Hacksaw Ridge and while it does have that 90’s hokey feel at times, particularly the dialogue, I found the battle of Doss’s convictions vs the US military (or war in general) very interesting and well done.

Yass. I referred to that movie in a prior post, but forgot the title at the time. It was indeed hokey and the main actor had a Gomer Pylelike delivery of the dialogue. Eech. Ah'm gunna mayrrey yeew... That kinda thing. I'll give you the same sentiment about the other aspect. This was based on an actual person, after all.

Doss actually talked like that. I’ve been to the site of the battle shown in the movie and it is a pretty impressive and heroic feat he accomplished. Could have gotten out of serving altogether but took on an even more dangerous job.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject:

Don’t support Mel Gibson movies.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

really? Hes one of the most talented guys in the industry.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
I watched Hacksaw Ridge and while it does have that 90’s hokey feel at times, particularly the dialogue, I found the battle of Doss’s convictions vs the US military (or war in general) very interesting and well done.

Yass. I referred to that movie in a prior post, but forgot the title at the time. It was indeed hokey and the main actor had a Gomer Pylelike delivery of the dialogue. Eech. Ah'm gunna mayrrey yeew... That kinda thing. I'll give you the same sentiment about the other aspect. This was based on an actual person, after all.

Doss actually talked like that. I’ve been to the site of the battle shown in the movie and it is a pretty impressive and heroic feat he accomplished. Could have gotten out of serving altogether but took on an even more dangerous job.

It’s wild that they essentially were gonna just let him go home and he decided to stay in the military even thought it almost certainly meant going to prison.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Racist ass Melly Gibsons.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
ocho wrote:

1. No he isn’t.
2. He’s a colossal racist and an anti-Semite and a domestic abuser. Don’t support his movies.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Halflife wrote:
ocho wrote:

1. No he isn’t.
2. He’s a colossal racist and an anti-Semite and a domestic abuser. Don’t support his movies.

That revelation surprised me. I think it hit Danny Glover in the gut although he and Jodie Foster defended him. LINK Can't help it, I like the 4 Lethal Weapon franchise movies. I still watch them with Eminence VOD now and again.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm told it has war scenes with a lot of Mel Gibson's trademark pain and gore fetishes.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Halflife wrote:
ocho wrote:

1. No he isn’t.

As someone who has downloaded and watched Roman Polanski's (excellent) J'Accuse (2019), owns Braveheart, Apocalypto, and Dragged Across Concrete on physical media, and admires if not likes Passion of the Christ, I am probably not one to discuss ethical consumption of art.

But as a movie weirdo, I feel comfortable writing that Gibson is a very talented director and a handsome, charismatic leading man along with being a scuzzy anti-Semite and wife beater.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
ocho wrote:
Halflife wrote:
ocho wrote:

1. No he isn’t.

As someone who has downloaded and watched Roman Polanski's (excellent) J'Accuse (2019), owns Braveheart, Apocalypto, and Dragged Across Concrete on physical media, and admires if not likes Passion of the Christ, I am probably not one to discuss ethical consumption of art.

But as a movie weirdo, I feel comfortable writing that Gibson is a very talented director and a handsome, charismatic leading man along with being a scuzzy anti-Semite and wife beater.

because i am a fan of his art doesnt make me a fan of the man.

im sure people like movies from weinstein corp
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Halflife wrote:
ocho wrote:

1. No he isn’t.

I’ll agree about his charismatic screen presence. As a director I find his stuff boring and geared almost exclusively for the middle aged dad crowd. Also Passion is trash. Viewed in total, not nearly enough to offset him being a hateful bigot who punches women in the face. (bleep) him and (bleep) any studio that puts out his stuff.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
ocho wrote:
Halflife wrote:
ocho wrote:

1. No he isn’t.

It's like the debate on whether museums should "cancel" the works of Paul Gauguin, who had a child bride while he lived in Tahiti. How do you deal with a very problematic person like that who happened to be an important artist. Should his works be never seen again in museums or not bought and sold again by auction houses? Or, is there middle ground where his issues could be presented along with his art so that the viewer is at least aware of the person behind them? And can his work be appreciated while not accepting him as a morally ethical/lawful person?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Halflife wrote:
ocho wrote:
Halflife wrote:
ocho wrote:

1. No he isn’t.

It's like the debate on whether museums should "cancel" the works of Paul Gauguin, who had a child bride while he lived in Tahiti. How do you deal with a very problematic person like that who happened to be an important artist. Should his works be never seen again in museums or not bought and sold again by auction houses? Or, is there middle ground where his issues could be presented along with his art so that the viewer is at least aware of the person behind them? And can his work be appreciated while not accepting him as a morally ethical/lawful person?

I think problematic historical artists can have their work contextualized to recognize their undeniable influence in their respective fields without deifying them. Paul Gauguin died in 1903. 11 years ago Mel told his wife he wanted her to get raped by “a pack of n***ers” and punched her teeth out. He’s still making movies, getting financing, and attracting stars to work with him. People should really take a moment to think about how much they want to go to bat for this guy.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject:

I like Gibsons as Mad Max and later as Riggs in Lethal Weapon (just the first two). He was a solid stalwart in the action genre during the 80s. I find pretty much all of his other work to be banal and heavy-handed, particularly his directorial efforts. That's before even considering who he is as a person. He did certainly get off lightly for some of the stuff he said, if he would've pulled that stuff today, he'd have gotten scorched Weinstein style.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:12 am    Post subject:

I've started to go back and look at older movies, as there were so many great ones that people overlook because they're a little older...and because I'm finding that a lot of newer movies today kind of suck, if I'm being honest.

Can someone give me recommendations for good 60's/70's movies? Some of my favorites are Godfather I/II (obviously), Chinatown, The Graduate, Manchurian Candidate, 2001, anything Hitchcock, etc.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
I've started to go back and look at older movies, as there were so many great ones that people overlook because they're a little older...and because I'm finding that a lot of newer movies today kind of suck, if I'm being honest.

Can someone give me recommendations for good 60's/70's movies? Some of my favorites are Godfather I/II (obviously), Chinatown, The Graduate, Manchurian Candidate, 2001, anything Hitchcock, etc.

I liked Bullet and the french connection. Both recently watched. I just finished One flew over the Cuckoos Nest. Jack is great and the cast is amazing, but the movie............dont shoot me........is just OK. Worth watching if you hadnt seen it before. I watched it years ago and it wasnt as entertaining as i remembered.

On her majestys secret service is the most underrated Bond film. Because it was Lazenbys only one it works as a stand alone.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:

Old classics

Clark Gable-Vivien Leigh Gone With The Wind

Humphrey Bogart-Ingrid Bergman-Peter Lorre Casablanca

Spence Tracy The Old Man and the Sea

Steve McQueen-James Garner The Great Escape

James Stewart-Kim Novac Virtigo

Good Movies

Paul Newman-Jackie Gleason-George C Scott Hustler

Paul Newman Cool Hand Luke

Sydney Poitier-Tony Curtis The Defiant Ones

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

I think problematic historical artists can have their work contextualized to recognize their undeniable influence in their respective fields without deifying them. Paul Gauguin died in 1903. 11 years ago Mel told his wife he wanted her to get raped by “a pack of n***ers” and punched her teeth out. He’s still making movies, getting financing, and attracting stars to work with him. People should really take a moment to think about how much they want to go to bat for this guy.

Fair enough to point out that Mel is still with us and making films. But when he dies, all the issues he has no don't go away no matter how long he's been dead. But, yes, it's probably worse right now that he's still being allowed to work while someone like Spacey, a more influential Hollywood name than Gibson, has been successfully removed from the biz. Different offenses, yes. But that's the thing. What Spacey did has been made unforgiveable by the people lead by influencers who pressured studios/Hollywood to cast him aside and those entities listened and followed suit. It's probably harder to get someone like Mel permanently blacklisted for racist sentiments and statements. He did about 10 years, but wasn't permanently hobbled and eventually found his way back into the outskirts. I don't think he's going away for good unless he is caught on camera saying something as bad as what Jimmy The Greek said, for example. That ruined Jimmy's career. Mel's statements came from an arrest report and then a recorded phone call. Those aren't as visceral as statements like that coming out of his mouth on camera. They definitely should be, but aren't. And even if he said something on cam, he has the support Jimmy didn't have. People on Jimmy's show, coworkers/network/etc, were glad to get rid of him. Mel is cocooned.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
ocho wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Fair enough to point out that Mel is still with us and making films. But when he dies, all the issues he has no don't go away no matter how long he's been dead. But, yes, it's probably worse right now that he's still being allowed to work while someone like Spacey, a more influential Hollywood name than Gibson, has been successfully removed from the biz. Different offenses, yes. But that's the thing. What Spacey did has been made unforgiveable by the people lead by influencers who pressured studios/Hollywood to cast him aside and those entities listened and followed suit. It's probably harder to get someone like Mel permanently blacklisted for racist sentiments and statements. He did about 10 years, but wasn't permanently hobbled and eventually found his way back into the outskirts. I don't think he's going away for good unless he is caught on camera saying something as bad as what Jimmy The Greek said, for example. That ruined Jimmy's career. Mel's statements came from an arrest report and then a recorded phone call. Those aren't as visceral as statements like that coming out of his mouth on camera. They definitely should be, but aren't. And even if he said something on cam, he has the support Jimmy didn't have. People on Jimmy's show, coworkers/network/etc, were glad to get rid of him. Mel is cocooned.

Perhaps, but the Donald Sterling audio tapes were enough to sink him and Mel’s tapes are even worse. Nobody celebrated Sterling though. I guess the question is, aside from providing mediocre, self-serious films, why does he have any support at all? From anyone?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

I liked Bullet and the french connection. Both recently watched. I just finished One flew over the Cuckoos Nest. Jack is great and the cast is amazing, but the movie............dont shoot me........is just OK. Worth watching if you hadnt seen it before. I watched it years ago and it wasnt as entertaining as i remembered.

Keel over on that Cuckoo's Nest refrain. That movie is one of the greatest color era films ever. It's one of the most poignant ever. It's one of the greatest book adaptations ever. It cleaned house at The AAs for a reason. Otoh, you have the right to your own opinion. I just would like to know what chiefly brought you to that decision. Was the pace too slow, for instance?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:

The Conversation
Klute
All the Presidents Men
Dog Day Afternoon
Barry Lyndon
Badlands
The Killing of a Chinese Bookie
The Last Waltz
Carrie
Scenes From a Marriage
Paper Moon
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Perhaps, but the Donald Sterling audio tapes were enough to sink him and Mel’s tapes are even worse. Nobody celebrated Sterling though. I guess the question is, aside from providing mediocre, self-serious films, why does he have any support at all? From anyone?

I'll join you there. No argument here on that point. I'd venture to guess that Foster aids him more than anyone else. She's highly respected and deservedly so. Said she fell in love with him while doing Maverick. Meaning she fell for his charms at a time where his thoughts weren't yet public. And Danny Glover helps in that he's an influential African-American actor who aids him w/ the N comment he made. No doubt about it. Their gravitas rubs off on him. And directors and the like who still want to work with him give, I dunno, license? or comfort? to others in the biz maybe who aren't sure if they wanna go there as well? Some might very well take that as tacit approval that they won't be F'd by deciding to work with him.

And I haven't liked anything he's done since Lethal Weapon 2. I thought he overacted in the LW movies as well so he's lucky to even get my credit as far as that goes. I saw LW2 at the theater and it was the loudest movie I've ever been to. Ear piercing from the very opening moment. I can't think of anything since that I've even enjoyed. And he played a character who detested racist South Africans in that flick, if you can believe that. No one knew then that he was secretly on their side at the time. Probably supported apartheid, too. I hated The Patriot, thought it was intensely silly and he played a Revolution Rambo. He could've been gone since 87 and I would've been cool with it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

Quote:
I'll join you there. No argument here on that point. I'd venture to guess that Foster aids him more than anyone else. She's highly respected and deservedly so. Said she fell in love with him while doing Maverick. Meaning she fell for his charms at a time where his thoughts weren't yet public.

I wonder what her wife, Alexandra Hedison, thought about that.

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Quote:
I'll join you there. No argument here on that point. I'd venture to guess that Foster aids him more than anyone else. She's highly respected and deservedly so. Said she fell in love with him while doing Maverick. Meaning she fell for his charms at a time where his thoughts weren't yet public.

I wonder what her wife, Alexandra Hedison, thought about that.

What, that she had a work husband? She probably enjoyed Jodie being out of the house more while working w/ him like most wives like their spouse doing.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

The Conversation
Klute
All the Presidents Men
Dog Day Afternoon
Barry Lyndon
Badlands
The Killing of a Chinese Bookie
The Last Waltz
Carrie
Scenes From a Marriage
Paper Moon

Mash
Gloria
Mikey and Nicky
Husbands
A woman under the influence
F for Fake
California Split
McCabe & Mrs Miller
The Gambler
Easy Rider
The Dirty Dozen
Lolita
Dirty Harry
The Honeymoon Killers
The Apartment
Mr Majestyk
The Mechanic
The White Buffalo
Blow Up
Blow Out
Patterns (50's)
Farewell Friend
Sitting Target
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 110, 111, 112 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 111 of 189
Jump to: