The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 109, 110, 111 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Rewatched Boogie Nights. Went in with a different perspective. It turns out the movie was much better than I thought. I think what threw me was Burt Reynolds playing Jack Horner.

There are many plots woven into the movie. It did a full circle and started all over again. Ended up with people being who they really were.

Glad I rewatched it. It was a good movie. I still like LA Confidential better.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject:

^ Mid 90s was an amazing period for movies.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Tropic Thunder auto-played for me. And I couldn't shut it off. Such a funny movie. Tough to think of a movie I laughed more at. Maybe Wedding Crashers. Oh Superbad and Good Boys crack me up too.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Tropic Thunder auto-played for me. And I couldn't shut it off. Such a funny movie. Tough to think of a movie I laughed more at. Maybe Wedding Crashers. Oh Superbad and Good Boys crack me up too.

Tropic Thunder wouldnt get made today. Hilarious movie.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Rewatched Boogie Nights. Went in with a different perspective. It turns out the movie was much better than I thought. I think what threw me was Burt Reynolds playing Jack Horner.

There are many plots woven into the movie. It did a full circle and started all over again. Ended up with people being who they really were.

I recently saw this crap movie on Netflix w/ garbage acting. It's called The Vanished (2020). It was about a couple that lost their kid on a camper excursion to a ped/serial killer who worked at the rest stop they were at and the couple were Todd from Boogie and Anne Heche. I think the gimmick was to show how the parents went thru all the stages of grief. And Jason Patric was in it as a sheriff. I had a hard time figuring out who he was because he looks a lot different than he was in Lost Boys (even more than just agewise). However, his scene was the only one I thought was acted well and he's a capable pro.

I didn't recognize either Thomas Jane (Todd) or Heche and I didn't know they were the main characters. White folks sometime age to hell and it might've happened to them both because I didn't recognize either til I saw the credits. I was more wow'd by Heche because I've seen Donnie Brasco a thousand times and I would never have guessed it was her. Anyway, they were just awful and wooden. So bad that I couldn't figure out what the eff was goin on. It was some Netflix release. I came away feeling sad for both of them. I didn't want to see the great Todd Parker go to pot like that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vanished_(2020_film)
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Tropic Thunder wouldnt get made today. Hilarious movie.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject:

All right of Preston Sturges' early run of comedic classics are leaving the Criterion Channel at the end of May and I can't recommend them all highly enough, especially The Lady Eve and Palm Beach Story.

Sturges is a significant influence on the Corn brothers with The Hudsucker Proxy for one drawing on The Miracle at Morgan's Creek - Norvell Barnes - and Christmas in July, one of my favorite comedies.

Give 'em a looksee!
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject:

TCM is holding its annual film festival digitally again this year due to the pandemic, and has partnered with parent company HBOMax to make the festival available to Max subscribers from 5/6-5/13.

Check out the slate of classic films, interviews, shorts, etc. if you have the chance. I'm personally looking forward to watching Scarecrow (1973) for the first time.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Rewatched Frears' The Hit. Must watch for fans of gangster/crime films. So, so good. Oozes cool. Character driven. Takes its time, but well worth it. Tense. Cerebral. An excellent performance from John Hurt and an early introduction to Tim Roth.

Great soundtrack, too, with pieces done by Clapton/Waters.

Damn. A big blind spot for me. Did you stream it or do you own the disc?

Streamed it via Criterion Channel. Still on there - just checked. I think you'll love it!

Question to the crowd - is Smooth Talk any good? I love Laura Dern and Treat Williams

Haven't seen it yet, but the film nerds online seem to think it's aces. It'll probably pop up on the Channel in a few months.

BVH, not sure if you saw, but it's now streaming on CC. Gonna cop it tonight
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Rewatched Frears' The Hit. Must watch for fans of gangster/crime films. So, so good. Oozes cool. Character driven. Takes its time, but well worth it. Tense. Cerebral. An excellent performance from John Hurt and an early introduction to Tim Roth.

Streamed it via Criterion Channel. Still on there - just checked. I think you'll love it!

Question to the crowd - is Smooth Talk any good? I love Laura Dern and Treat Williams

Haven't seen it yet, but the film nerds online seem to think it's aces. It'll probably pop up on the Channel in a few months.

Thanks for the heads up! I will probably wait until it gets closer to leaving Criterion to watch it since there's so much I want to see before the end of the month, but I look forward to hearing what you think.

I rewatched Blue Velvet not too long ago and young Laura Dern's performance really blew me away (only 19yo!) - she was already so good so young and I've read great things about her debut performance in Smooth Talk from a couple years earlier being just as amazing.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject:

OT-
I saw a funny tweet about how these streaming services resource the hell out of their algorithms on what we want to watch yet everyone spends hours trying to find something to watch.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

Thanks for the heads up! I will probably wait until it gets closer to leaving Criterion to watch it since there's so much I want to see before the end of the month, but I look forward to hearing what you think.

I rewatched Blue Velvet not too long ago and young Laura Dern's performance really blew me away (only 19yo!) - she was already so good so young and I've read great things about her debut performance in Smooth Talk from a couple years earlier being just as amazing.

I saw your quote from Blue Velvet, so naturally I watched it again a few days ago, and yeah, Laura Dern was simply amazing. That first scene of her coming out from the darkness, totally radiant and mesmerizing, a halo of iridescent beauty in an otherwise drab yet dark suburb - just iconic to me. I caught the first twenty minutes of Smooth Talk before my wife saw it and asked I hold off watching the rest until she could join. Only a brief glimpse, but she was every bit as magnificent and terrific. I'm interested in seeing her transform - the first part of the movie she's just a typical teenybopper type obsessed with trashy daydreams and tight boy butts in blue jeans. Kind of like a mirror of her later role in Blue Velvet. But I expect she transforms after her encounter with Treat - so, excited to see her range. But as far as I've seen, the same terrific performance as usual. Lots of nuance, shares a lot with her eyes - really good
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject:

I've probably posted this already, but who cares?

Cyd Charisse's sweater in this should be illegal:

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Suggestion; Star Trek 2009. The story of the young crew's maiden voyage aboard the starship USS Enterprise. How they came to be what we know as Star Trek. It has all the nuances and cliches that are embedded in Star Trek. The Kobayashi Maru. I found out that Spock designed the exercise and revealed how Kirk cheated.

If you're a Trekkie you want to watch the movie.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject:

In 1985's "Mask" (Rocky Dennis story), she was very effective in a small role as a blind person. The earliest role I think I know of. I remember him teaching her how to visualize colors w/ hot/cold rocks and fluffiness with marshmallows and such. She was believable. Emotionally tender. She was probably like that in life at the time. The casting people were looking for specific nuances from actors. Eric Stoltz got the Rocky role from a slew of other young actors because he was the only one who told the casting table the story about his mother rocking him to bed and calling him, "Raaaaah-keeeey..." No one else trying for the part thought to make that story "their own", so to speak, and they gave it to him.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

You didn't like Buck and his 70s cowboy look? I like how he was vexed at no one digging his cowboy look so he went to a Rick James look and was even more miserable until he took the wig off.

This stereo is hiiigh fidelity, and what that means is that it has the hiiighest...quality...fidelity available. Hi-fi, that's two very important things to have in a stereo.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Greenland on Amazon prime… damn that was heavy, the situtational story lines are heart wrenching, best 2021 movie I've seen so far

Last edited by governator on Sun May 09, 2021 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
jodeke wrote:

You didn't like Buck and his 70s cowboy look? I like how he was vexed at no one digging his cowboy look so he went to a Rick James look and was even more miserable until he took the wig off.

This stereo is hiiigh fidelity, and what that means is that it has the hiiighest...quality...fidelity available. Hi-fi, that's two very important things to have in a stereo.

I'm a Don Cheadle fan. He's a versatile actor. He hasn't been typecast.

I'm an actor, I'm an actor. He saw the money at the robbery, everybody was dead, took it and ran. Opened his Hi-fi shop.

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I'm a Don Cheadle fan. He's a versatile actor. He hasn't been typecast.

I'm an actor, I'm an actor. He saw the money at the robbery, everybody was dead, took it and ran. Opened his Hi-fi shop.

Good call, Joedeke. That bank scene was excellent. He looked pained at being stiffed like that.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

In 1985's "Mask" (Rocky Dennis story), she was very effective in a small role as a blind person. The earliest role I think I know of. I remember him teaching her how to visualize colors w/ hot/cold rocks and fluffiness with marshmallows and such. She was believable. Emotionally tender. She was probably like that in life at the time. The casting people were looking for specific nuances from actors. Eric Stoltz got the Rocky role from a slew of other young actors because he was the only one who told the casting table the story about his mother rocking him to bed and calling him, "Raaaaah-keeeey..." No one else trying for the part thought to make that story "their own", so to speak, and they gave it to him.

You know, Mask would pop up on tv now and again during my youth and I was always too freaked out as a kid to watch the whole movie through. I should watch it one of these days if only to see Laura Dern.

Odd coincidence,. I put the terrible Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins (1985) on in the background the other day, and on top of it being an all around hackjob worthy of MST3K treatment, I discovered that it was nominated for an Oscar for best makeup effects...but ultimately lost out to Mask. What amazing makeup effects from Remo Williams were nominated, you may wonder?

Well, it was for transforming 50-ish-year-old lily white character actor Joel Grey (probably most famous as the Emcee in Cabaret) into an 80-something-year-old Korean martial arts master who teaches Fred Ward the mythical martial arts practice of "Shinanju". Check this one out:

Ah, Hollywood...
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

You know, Mask would pop up on tv now and again during my youth and I was always too freaked out as a kid to watch the whole movie through. I should watch it one of these days if only to see Laura Dern.

Odd coincidence,. I put the terrible Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins (1985) on in the background the other day, and on top of it being an all around hackjob worthy of MST3K treatment, I discovered that it was nominated for an Oscar for best makeup effects...but ultimately lost out to Mask. What amazing makeup effects from Remo Williams were nominated, you may wonder?

Well, it was for transforming 50-ish-year-old lily white character actor Joel Grey (probably most famous as the Emcee in Cabaret) into an 80-something-year-old Korean martial arts master who teaches Fred Ward the mythical martial arts practice of "Shinanju". Check this one out:

Ah, Hollywood...

I think I've seen Remo, but it was probably in 85 or 86 that I did. Memory is haaazy. I have this weird feeling that I've seen the scene you posted. Therefore, I'm stumped, but Hollywood has whitewahsed forever, even until recently in that card shark flick with white characters playing the Asian-Americans that they were based on. Technically, that's a good job in Remo. Anytime a young person is turned old, it gets a nomination. I'd have to check the makeup Oscar list to see what's on there.

I know the first one went to the great Rick Baker for his werewolves and creatures and extendo faces in An American Werewolf In London. Baker was actually pulled away from working on the competing werewolf movie of 1981 (The Howling pt 1). Landis was pissed that he showed the other FX guy Rob Bottin the extendo snout technology because he wanted that for his movie only. That's a very John Landis thing. Looking at the list, I see Bottin lost to Brundlefly in 86. I saw The Fly at the movies when I was 10 and I remember some of the women in the crowd going OOOOH EWWW at the many stages of development in Seth Brundle. Spit dropping on donuts, haha. Bottin did the critters and that recognizable devil w/ the horns in Legend (feat Tom Cruise). Beautiful movie, surprisingly so. I recall that the set for that caught fire and it burned down the James Bond studio and caused delays.

1982: Quest For Fire. I loved that movie. I don't generally love those ape slash humanoid flicks, but Everett McGill of Twin Peaks was great as was Rae Dawn Chong. That movie showed quite a bit of prehistoric fornication. The female humanoids would do exaggerated squats to entice the males. The ending is tearful when McGill, who is vexed at not knowing how to create fire, is shown by Rae Dawn how to produce it and a tear rolled down his cheek because it was such an awesome thing to him.

1984: Amadeus. F. Murray Abraham as Salieri, won best actor and deserved it. Love his style. I find it amusing that he was Omar Suarez in Scarface a year before he was Salieri in Amadeus. That's range, mang. I love those scenes where he is in rapture listening to Mozart's work. The patron saint of mediocrity. I can relate.

The practical effects era has lasting power over the CGI that wins this award now. Hate CGI, especially bad CGI. Over time, it gets more refined at least.

I recommend Mask by the way. It's more poignant than you might remember. Cher really owned her role as did Stoltz. There was a scene where Cher got mad at her criticizing father and took ludes and she had this blank, but angry affect that looked 100% authentic. I'm sure she took ludes in the day and knew the feeling. As for Stoltz, it's difficult to convey what he did thru all that. And, it's one of Stoltz' only sensitive characters. He usually plays sarcastic dudes. I think if you watch it, you'll be sad for the kid it was actually based on. He must've had a hard and brief life.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject:

I watched Hacksaw Ridge and while it does have that 90’s hokey feel at times, particularly the dialogue, I found the battle of Doss’s convictions vs the US military (or war in general) very interesting and well done.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:01 am    Post subject:

When you're listening to the Phantom Thread soundtrack while taking a shower and that "House of Woodcock"/"Sandalwood II" back-to-back hits:

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
I watched Hacksaw Ridge and while it does have that 90’s hokey feel at times, particularly the dialogue, I found the battle of Doss’s convictions vs the US military (or war in general) very interesting and well done.

Yass. I referred to that movie in a prior post, but forgot the title at the time. It was indeed hokey and the main actor had a Gomer Pylelike delivery of the dialogue. Eech. Ah'm gunna mayrrey yeew... That kinda thing. I'll give you the same sentiment about the other aspect. This was based on an actual person, after all.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject:

I saw a decent movie with jodie foster called The Mauritanian.
I knew about the story and our techniques after 9/11 but this put a microscope on it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 109, 110, 111 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 110 of 189
Jump to: