The LEBRON JAMES Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1898, 1899, 1900 ... 2084, 2085, 2086  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:02 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
epic_ wrote:

True about the head start because of the age, but also that he was so good at that early age. I agree this record might not break for a long time... well, until they implement something moronic, like a 4 Point line/spot.

Well, it will take 34 years for Kareem's record to be broken. If that happens again, the guy who will eventually break Lebron's record is now 4 years old.

Haha. I hope we draft him.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:04 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
activeverb wrote:
epic_ wrote:

True about the head start because of the age, but also that he was so good at that early age. I agree this record might not break for a long time... well, until they implement something moronic, like a 4 Point line/spot.

Well, it will take 34 years for Kareem's record to be broken. If that happens again, the guy who will eventually break Lebron's record is now 4 years old.

Haha. I hope we draft him.

Wonder if Lebron has any grandkids?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:17 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:

Lebron isn't going to break KAJ's record and then retire the next day. Barring a career ending injury, he's going to pass the 40,000 point mark. Will he hit 41K? 42K? More? It is conceivable that Lebron could wind up 4,000 to 5,000 points ahead of KAJ. It's hard to wrap your brain around that. Any record can be broken, but good heavens.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:24 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
epic_ wrote:

Lebron isn't going to break KAJ's record and then retire the next day. Barring a career ending injury, he's going to pass the 40,000 point mark. Will he hit 41K? 42K? More? It is conceivable that Lebron could wind up 4,000 to 5,000 points ahead of KAJ. It's hard to wrap your brain around that. Any record can be broken, but good heavens.

similar to Oscar triple dub
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:50 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:

Yeah, the game would have to drastically change from the way it is today for this record to be broken again. Like the game becomes an All-Star Game with no defense, or 50 FT's a game, or some other offensive-oriented rules changes. Or perhaps so far into the future that players are bionic and play for 30+ seasons.

This is not only a record of longevity but also sustained greatness. Just from a raw numbers standpoint, it would take a player 1,333.33 games to hit 40,000 points if he averaged 30 PPG. 82 games a season, and that's 16.26 seasons. This too assumes no missed games during that whole time. It's freaking mind boggling!

governator wrote:
similar to Oscar triple dub

That's not really a "record", but rather an accomplishment. Up until the last 10-12 years that seemed like a feat that wouldn't be done again. But unlike all-time records, because it's a single season accomplishment it means "anyone" (not quite literally) can do it if they just have one outstanding season. It took 55 years after Big O did it for it to be done again, but it's now been done 5 times in the last 7 seasons (Westbrook x4, Jokic x1). Setting the all-time records require a player to do it at a high level for almost 2 decades and not just having one singularly great season.

Stockton averaged 10.5 assists for his career - over 19 seasons! He only missed 22 games to injury over those 19 seasons. He also lost out on another 32 games due to the 98-99 lockout. In the last 12 or so seasons, there's been around 1-3 players that averaged 10+ assists for the season (usually either CP3, Nash, Deron Williams, John Wall, Westbrook, Jokic). CP3 (with a career 9.5 APG) is ranked #3 all-time and the highest active player. He still trails Stockton by 4,500+ (almost 29%!!!). If he got 10 APG for the rest of his career, that'd take him another 5.5 seasons to do...assuming he even played EVERY one of those games.

Breaking any of these all-time records are like 1 in a trillion chance. So much has to break right for the player. The fact that we will get to witness LeBron do it is something that shouldn't be taken for granted.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Lamar's Bud wrote:

Yeah, the game would have to drastically change from the way it is today for this record to be broken again. Like the game becomes an All-Star Game with no defense, or 50 FT's a game, or some other offensive-oriented rules changes. Or perhaps so far into the future that players are bionic and play for 30+ seasons.

At some point, players might start at age 15. Or maybe they'll play to 50. Or maybe advances in genetic medicine will significantly reduce injuries and reduce careers.

But even without the sci-fi stuff, another super human guy could come along eventually and play at a high level for 20 plus years and challenge the record.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:59 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
At some point, players might start at age 15. Or maybe they'll play to 50. Or maybe advances in genetic medicine will significantly reduce injuries and reduce careers.

But even without the sci-fi stuff, another super human guy could come along eventually and play at a high level for 20 plus years and challenge the record.

Of course, not saying that it "can't" happen. Something really dramatic to the game or medical science would likely have to happen for the record to be broken again during our lifetimes. Just think about how many guys have played that many years in the league. Then think about how well they sustained their careers - especially at the end. The point is that there is such a minute chance for a player to not only have the talent to break one of these records, he also needs a lot of luck to get there (health, opportunity, etc). There's been something like 4,300 players to ever play in an NBA game which means ~0.5% has managed to have a career of 19+ years...but how many of these guys were actually close to challenging any all-time records?

23 players in NBA history have played 19+ seasons. They all had some great peaks (some longer than others), but a good amount of these guys were glorified bench players or not very good starters by the end.

22 Seasons
Vince Carter

21 Seasons
Parish
Willis
Garnett
Dirk - #6 all-time scoring leader (-6,827)

20 Seasons
KAJ - all-time scoring leader
Kobe - #4 all-time scoring leader (-4,744)
Jamal Crawford
Udonis Haslem - has barely played in 7+ years
LeBron - #2 all-time scoring leader (-88), #4 all-time assist leader (-5,468)

19 Seasons
Moses Malone - #10 all-time scoring leader (-10,978)
James Edwards
Stockton - all-time assists leader
Karl Malone - #3 all-time scoring leader (-1,459)
Oakley
Shaq - #8 all-time scoring leader (-9,791)
Juwan Howard
J Kidd #2 all-time assists leader (-3,715)
Tim Duncan
Paul Pierce
Jason Terry
Tyson Chandler
Carmelo Anthony - #9 all-time scoring leader (-10,098)

Whether you love/hate/like/dislike LeBron, it's history being made.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
epic_ wrote:

I never thought that MJ versus Lebron for the goat would ever become a real conversation. Lebron's amazing longevity is making me rethink that
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:05 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
epic_ wrote:

I never thought that MJ versus Lebron for the goat would ever become a real conversation. Lebron's amazing longevity is making me rethink that

James is still having a remarkable career. Breaking the scoring record is one hell of an achievement. One that I really did not think would be overtaken. And he will blow past it. Amazing!

James has to be in the discussion for GOAT with Jordan and Kareem. No clue how you separate them. All worthy of the title. Just depends on one’s opinions of why.

One hell of a career that just keeps on going.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
epic_ wrote:

James is still having a remarkable career. Breaking the scoring record is one hell of an achievement. One that I really did not think would be overtaken. And he will blow past it. Amazing!

James has to be in the discussion for GOAT with Jordan and Kareem. No clue how you separate them. All worthy of the title. Just depends on one’s opinions of why.

That's my sense too the real discussion is MJ, Kareem, and LeBron and everybody else rounding out the field (wilt, russell, shaq, hakeem, duncan, bird, kobe, and magic).
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:05 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
epic_ wrote:

That's my sense too the real discussion is MJ, Kareem, and LeBron and everybody else rounding out the field (wilt, russell, shaq, hakeem, duncan, bird, kobe, and magic).

In my opinion…there’s like 8 players that have a legitimate GOAT case. It just depends how much you value peak and longevity.

Anyways…good work fighting for those rebounds in crunch time Lebron!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:36 am    Post subject:

Brawn13 wrote:

In my opinion…there’s like 8 players that have a legitimate GOAT case. It just depends how much you value peak and longevity.
!

Sure, but the rubber meets the road when you go from "8 players have a legitimate GOAT case" to "my choice for GOAT is..." That's when people decide who is just rounding out the field.

I've seen polls where Kevin Durant, Allen Iverson, and Oscar Robertson were some people's choice for GOAT.

But mostly, it's been "MJ and everybody else." Lebron just seems to be separating himself from the everybody else.

My top four right now are: MJ, Kareem, Lebron and Magic, but that can change day to day depending on my mood.
zagnut08
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:47 am    Post subject:

While I admittedly have struggled with Lebron joining the Lakers, I just grabbed a pair of tickets for the Thunder game…would be awesome to see
history made, here’s to a couple big scoring games so he breaks the record Tuesday!
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:30 pm    Post subject:

My guess is he’ll try to do it in a win—so he’ll aim to get in spitting distance tonight and finish it off Tuesday. But there’s also the serendipity of doing it against Kareem’s first team on Thursday, albeit in what is likely a loss.

I’m going to go with he breaks the record on Tuesday. Look for him to put up high 30’s against the Pelicans to make it as sure a thing as possible.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:34 pm    Post subject:

zagnut08 wrote:
While I admittedly have struggled with Lebron joining the Lakers, I just grabbed a pair of tickets for the Thunder game…would be awesome to see
history made, here’s to a couple big scoring games so he breaks the record Tuesday!

Nice what was the damage on that…

I saw somewhere that people are selling seats at the $90k range…
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:59 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/kingjames/status/1621628645721755650?s=46&t=1OZYjE7eh3Aq9m2QnbbzXQ

Quote:
👀👑

If we get Kyrie, I need him to say: "Now I got some bullets"
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:07 pm    Post subject:

I know they are going to stop the game and give him his due, but what if he breaks it in the last minute of a close game? Even worse, with first of the 2 free throws, do they still stop the game? It could very well happen.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:04 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
I know they are going to stop the game and give him his due, but what if he breaks it in the last minute of a close game? Even worse, with first of the 2 free throws, do they still stop the game? It could very well happen.

I think it'll be in the 2nd quarter on Tuesday
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:05 am    Post subject:

LeBron is 6th in RAPTOR WAR. Who’s right next to him…. Kyrie.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:20 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
https://twitter.com/kingjames/status/1621628645721755650?s=46&t=1OZYjE7eh3Aq9m2QnbbzXQ

Quote:
👀👑

People are saying Phil Handy tweeted the same thing too, but I can’t find it.
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:41 am    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:
epic_ wrote:

Quote:
👀👑

Phil Handy is close to Kyrie, would be interesting
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:37 am    Post subject:

Real question is: Will LeBron break the record with Kyrie or WB as his teammate?
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:44 am    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:
epic_ wrote:

Quote:
👀👑

Handy deleted his. Probably since he's a coach and can get in trouble.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:15 pm    Post subject:

My sister in law has tickets to the OKC game, telling her to sell them!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:46 pm    Post subject:

Not a good game. Nasty, nasty loss
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1898, 1899, 1900 ... 2084, 2085, 2086  Next
Page 1899 of 2086
Jump to: