Coach Ham or Trade?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What option will make us better?
Replace Ham as coach
82%
 82%  [ 38 ]
Make a trade to shuffle the squad
17%
 17%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 46

DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:26 pm    Post subject: Coach Ham or Trade?

If you have one move this current season, which one will give you a bit of hope.

A coaching change will give me more hope than trading somebody at the deadline and still have Ham running the helm.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:47 pm    Post subject:

Both or no confidence.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:52 pm    Post subject:

I don't know if Ham is a good coach, but right after the Russ trade last season, he got this team to post one of the league's best records and defensive ratings right away. Remember that the Grizzlies and Warriors teams we beat in the playoffs, especially the Grizzlies, were very tough.

Let's make a trade without giving up too much and see what happens. If we still suck in February, March and April, they can fire Ham after they miss the playoffs and do a full coaching search so they replace him with someone who would actually be better.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:13 pm    Post subject:

It has to be replacing Ham. We could be as talented as the Celtics right now and we still wouldn't win anything with how the team cannot stand Ham. The team has completely tuned him out. That is not something you can get back. We could trade Taurean Prince for Kevin Durant and I still do not think we would win based on the team's low morale due to Darvin.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:05 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
I don't know if Ham is a good coach, but right after the Russ trade last season, he got this team to post one of the league's best records and defensive ratings right away. Remember that the Grizzlies and Warriors teams we beat in the playoffs, especially the Grizzlies, were very tough.

Let's make a trade without giving up too much and see what happens. If we still suck in February, March and April, they can fire Ham after they miss the playoffs and do a full coaching search so they replace him with someone who would actually be better.

He just got lucky, he has no option last season. He has to play Vando and Rui plus we have DS which is a pest on D and was initiating the offense cause he is our one and only player that can get by his defense. This season he just has not shown any adjustment and just fumbled lineup, timeout and rotations. No chance of us winning if he stay our coach.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:00 am    Post subject:

Get rid of Coach Ham and hire Kenny Atkinson and Terry Stotts as Coach and Assistant.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:45 am    Post subject:

I like Ham but I think he's the main problem.

I don't mind a trade if we do the fleecing.

If we mortgage our future again for one year of LBJ, I'm going to be extremely unhappy.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:54 am    Post subject:

Yes Jeanie, listen to LG. We know the Lakers more than you know your husband.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:59 am    Post subject:

Adrian Griffin is available. Doc is making Griffin look like a good coach.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:49 am    Post subject:

That's such a vague question; What do you mean by "better"

I think the team is .500 with or without coach. I think the team is .500 with or without a trade.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:13 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

I think the team is .500 with or without coach. I think the team is .500 with or without a trade.

I think you answered the reason for the vagueness. I believe we need both for me to really feel we have some kind of shot with a healthy LBJ and AD, but given one move which of the 2, gives you a hint of hope Coach or Trade?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:58 am    Post subject:

Playing the right lineups will help, as would having the faith of the players again. No doubt this.

A trade would also help but that depends if the trade is actually good. Pelinka has been hit and miss with trades.

Lets have a look.

AD trade? Clear hit.
Westbrook trade? Clear miss.
Westbrook trade deadline 2.0? Suspect, a year later now doesn't look as good, but I wouldn't call this a hit or miss at the moment.
Rui trade? Hit, gave up 2nd rounders.
Dennis for Danny Green, 2020 draft pick? Jaden McDaniels, Desmond Bane were options on the clock ..... both are starters now in the league. I am putting this in the miss column. We end up going for Westbrook, as Dennis wanted too much money. Should have negotiated an extension with Dennis as part of the trade to begin with.

Really - outside of trading for AD, Pelinka hasn't shown his trades help the team a whole lot. What trade really has made a significant difference in the longrun? Only the AD trade.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:00 am    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
slavavov wrote:

He just got lucky, he has no option last season. He has to play Vando and Rui plus we have DS which is a pest on D and was initiating the offense cause he is our one and only player that can get by his defense. This season he just has not shown any adjustment and just fumbled lineup, timeout and rotations. No chance of us winning if he stay our coach.

Both the Grizzlies and Warriors are lottery teams this season, though. (Granted, the Grizzlies would not be a lottery team with a healthy Morant and if they retained Brooks.) The version of the Grizzlies that we beat was not the same version that earned the #2 seed, because it was missing the intimidating frontline of Steven Adams and Brandon Clarke. Adams seems to have borderline all star level impact.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:07 am    Post subject:

Trevor Lane
@Trevor_Lane
The DLo-Reaves-Vando-LeBron-Davis group currently has a Def Rtg of 88.9, which would be the best in the NBA by a HUGE margin (number 1 is MIN at 109), though it's unsustainable & a product of small sample size w/ just 32 minutes played as a group

Still, that's a crazy number.
The offensive rating of the lineup is

121.3 offensive rating 88.9 defensive rating.. and not once has Ham entertained starting them cause of his love affair with Taurean Prince.

Ship his @$$ out!
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:07 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

Unfortunately very likely true. I'd add an 'ish to .500 though.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:25 am    Post subject:

the most critical option isn't listed: change of ownership
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:12 am    Post subject:

Option C: Let the ship sink with everyone on it.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:23 am    Post subject:

I don’t think it matters. I thought they would be a 42-44 win team before the season started and they likely finish around there. You can’t change ownership but the FO can be replaced but they still rely on an almost 40 year old who plays great every 4-5 games and an often injured 30+ year old. Most contenders have stars in their prime, except for the Clippers who contend with numbers. This organization is biding time until the next thing happens, whatever that will be.
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:26 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I don’t think it matters. I thought they would be a 42-44 win team before the season started and they likely finish around there. You can’t change ownership but the FO can be replaced but they still rely on an almost 40 year old who plays great every 4-5 games and an often injured 30+ year old. Most contenders have stars in their prime, except for the Clippers who contend with numbers. This organization is biding time until the next thing happens, whatever that will be.

Honestly, this is the correct take. They should go full rebuild. But given that ownership isn't going to do that, it has to be both do the trade *and* fire the coach.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:33 am    Post subject:

lol at Atkinson or stotts being able to do anything with Hayes, reddish, prince and manage to engage wood .
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:17 am    Post subject:

Neither makes them a top tier regular season team. If we're healthy by some miracle, I wouldn't be surprised if we made it to 2+ rounds in the playoffs.

Replacing Ham would make us the better team barring a trade that the league tries to "business reasons" away.

It took Ham 40 games to figure out TP at the 3 is not optimal. Playing Starters 40 minutes in a 30 point blowout. He still hasn't nailed down a rotation.

Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:45 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Adrian Griffin is available. Doc is making Griffin look like a good coach.

Budenholzer, that guy that actually has a ring and who looks much better compared to Doc, Griffin, and Ham, is available.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:16 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
It has to be replacing Ham. We could be as talented as the Celtics right now and we still wouldn't win anything with how the team cannot stand Ham. The team has completely tuned him out. That is not something you can get back. We could trade Taurean Prince for Kevin Durant and I still do not think we would win based on the team's low morale due to Darvin.
Bigger question is replace with WHO, that means putting in a new system.
jab
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Its not either/ or, its both
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:42 pm    Post subject:

The only answer is getting rid of Ham. You can get a horrible mechanic the best tools but the job still won't get done.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: