OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 186, 187, 188

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Dec 2019
Posts: 3499

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
They were right there? What at the starting line? The race is to the Finals and we were right there at the 1st round. Really?! So I guess the dubs were right there too has they beat us in the play-in tourney.

And since you brought up the dubs, the had deeep tithe runs from 2014-2019 #Win-dow

Meyers gets an out for that alone. You want to give your guy Rob one for a won&done during a COVID outlier. Really?!

So what did Meyer do when the dubs got healthy and gained assets in the lottery during those couple of down years? Got right back to winning, while #2 Wiseman and #7 Kuminga stay on the roster to develop or wait to get dealt for another sustainable win-dow.

What would Rob have done…probably drop those assets for a quick fix. #2 Ball gets used as trade fodder to salary match for AD, when we had the cap space to absorb most of AD’s deal into. #7 RFA Jules gets renounced/waived for cap space gone unrealized. Really!

You really need to understand the difference between longevity and brevity.
No 🧢, your boy don’t know cap. #FOh


Myers started with Steph, Klay, Bogut, the 7th pick in the draft and a boatload of cap space when he got the job. It still took him 4 seasons to win a chip.

If you count Rob's start date as Feb. 2017 (under Magic), he started with Zo, BI, KCP, BroLo and the 25th pick in the draft. Won a chip in 2 seasons.

If you count his start date as April 2019 (after Magic was canned), he started with Bron, the Yutes, a lottery pick and won a chip immediately!

Context, son.

#FOh


What’s more remembered, the Dallas Mavs/Toronto Raps title or the 80s Showtime Lakers, 90s Bulls, Shaq/Kob millennium Lakers, the Duncan Spurs, the Los Mambos Hermanos, the Heatles, the Dub-Cavs rivalry.

Yeah, context bruh. Why you wanna get sonned on this hill, my guy? But if Rob means that much to you, go right ahead. #FOh

Difference between you and me is, you good with bubble&bust, but I’m more for #WINdowsOverWon&Done, son.
_________________
Not familiar with the salary cap/CBA rules & how it impacts our Lakers?
#GetFamiliar by CLICKING HERE!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2002
Posts: 15834

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:33 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
<snip>

What’s more remembered, the Dallas Mavs/Toronto Raps title or the 80s Showtime Lakers, 90s Bulls, Shaq/Kob millennium Lakers, the Duncan Spurs, the Heatles, the Dub-Cavs rivalry.

Yeah, context bruh. Why you wanna get sonned on this hill, my guy? But if Rob means that much to you, go right ahead. #FOh

Difference between you and me is, you good with bubble&bust, but I’m more for #WINdowsOverWon&Done, son.


What you fail to realize is that the rules have changed.

Showtime Lakers - built before there was a salary cap or lottery.
90s Bulls - Jordan acquired before salary cap allowed 35% max contract.
3-Peat Lakers - different CBA, couldn't have been assembled in the same way today.
Spurs - Kudos - got a group of guys who collectively took paycuts year after year.
Heatles - LBJ says "never again" after being hoodwinked by Riles to take less $$$ so Arison could pocket more $$$
Dubs-CAVS - Dubs core assembled 3 CBAs ago, used a one-time exploit on KD.

Dr. Buss bought championships (and almost went bankrupt) - you can't do that anymore. Dubs were fortunate that the CBA expired after the 2011 draft and not before - they are still riding the Steph/Klay/Dray unit 12 years later.

Building under today's constraints are different, son, particularly with the level of empowerment that players have today.

20 years ago, AD gets injured, they'd have shot him up with cortisone and sent him out to play. Not today. KD tears his Achilles, goes into FA and signs a 4/$164 contract with the team knowing he'll miss the 1st year and can opt out of the last - that doesn't happen even 15 years ago.

Lift up the Heat, the Mavs, the Clippers, the Suns, the Sixers . . . whoever - but they ain't won jack since the 2011 lockout (or ever, in the case of some). They have analytics guys, capologists, nutritionists and feng shui experts . . . but winning a championship after these last two CBA changes is hard as hell.

Dubs were grandfathered in, CAVS had an historic effort by the GOAT, Raptors got the spite gift from SA, Bucks were smart and crafty while everyone was hurt, Dubs again benefitted from the 2010/11 drafts.

Rob did it against the odds. Give him props and get out of his way.
_________________
On Lakersground, a concern troll is someone who is a fan of another team, but pretends to be a Lakers fan with "concerns".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 21648

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject:

SON! This ish is FIYAH!!!

Facts after facts!

Let’s Go!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Dec 2019
Posts: 3499

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject:

^@Gov, problem is we ain’t talking facts. We talking about history vs hisstory. Makes sense why dude is a Rob fan.

The argument I initially made was Rob himself did not believe in his roster construction being a sustainable solution to continued title contention, so he dismantled his title team the first chance he got.

I know it’s hard to win a title every year, but can a team be built to continuously contend for a title season after season. Other teams have shown they can under the current CBA climate. Meanwhile ours immediately burst after we had it poppin in the bubble.

But now @Dr.Laker has chosen to move the goalposts up the hill. Now, it’s let’s give Rob props cause he did it against all odds. What’s odd is that the odds Rob had to work against were of his own doing. Shredding assets to gain cap space that went unrealized was his own doing. Like I said before, wait on the AD trade and see if your cap space gets occupied by a worthy max player. If it doesn’t, you can take AD primarily into that space and can spare guys & their associated salaries, since you don’t have to salary match to preserve that cap space. Lock up your FA target first, then gun for AD. We know he & Klutch did everything they could do to make sure it was Lakers or bust. We had the leverage to wait. Instead we had #4 (which was gifted to us by the bball gawds) go out as $0 in salary aggregation. We gave up deferment options to our draft capital so that they would be unavailable to us in using towards a follow up trade once we had Bron/AD in the saddle. Worst of all, our cap space was further diminished by Deng’s dead cap hit in 2019. That potential cap space not only could have led to THT getting a 4yr deal, but AC as well. Unfortunately we #marginalizedthemargins yet again cause Rob had to work against those odds.

And why was that? Cause, once we struck out the offseason before in 2018, we had to turn to a contingency to bring in a worthy running mate for a newly inked Bron. We decided to allow a RESTRICTED Jules walk for nothing instead of negotiating a S&t. But AFTER free agency, on Sept 1st, we bought out and stretch-waived Deng. What was that for when we didn’t need the cap space since 2018 free agency was all but a wrap? Why did we do it if the object was to open up the most cap space possible in 2019? Come to think of it, couldn’t Deng’s deal be used as salary fodder to match for AD’s deal during the 2018/19 trade deadline? Bruh?!

So what’s odd is that you keep standing up for dude when you really gave nothing g to stand on.

And while we’re retelling history & moving those goalposts, you brought up KD getting a max deal after an Achilles tear. That’s today’s NBA, right? Well Rob as Kob’s agent did something similar in yesterday’s NBA, by surrendering Kob’s leverage towards a max slot in free agency, by prematurely having him sign a max extension AFTER he tore his Achilles.

https://www.si.com/nba/2013/11/27/kobe-bryant-contract-extension-los-angeles-lakers-twitter

Kob then had to defend his contract to fans claiming his deal ate into a max slot towards offseason free agency where Kob could find a running mate to make another run at a title with. Had Rob talked Kob into waiting to ink that deal like Fouder supposedly talked to Russ in how LA needed to surrender assets to move him, then maybe Kob would have the complete picture in how to not only get the bag but bag a max running mate to gun fir a other title once he came back from his injury. But of course, it’s Rob’s MO to shoot his shot prematurely.

As for your grandfather paradox claim in how teams maneuvered around different iterations of the CBA and it’s history, the luxury tax/max contracts have been around since 1999. Steph was drafted in 2009. His ankles allowed the dubs to negotiate a less than max rookie extension. But as their current max player, it’s not like the dubs circumvented the previous CBA to gain some benefit.

Quote:
Coon: Here is a summary of the league's collective bargaining agreements:

Start Year-End Year

1970-1973
First CBA. Increased minimum salaries. Added playoff pool and per diem.

1973-1976
Arbitration

1976-1979
Suit blocking NBA/ABA merger settled. Added limited free agency (with team compensation).

1980-1983
No-trade clauses eliminated.

1983-1987
Added Salary Cap, "Bird" rights. Technically not a new CBA, rather a Memorandum of Understanding modifying the terms of the 1980 agreement.

1988-1994
Added unrestricted free agency. Length of draft reduced.

1994-1995
Temporary "No-strike, no-lockout" agreement.

1995-1998
Ended 1995 lockout. Added rookie scale contracts. Not actually signed until 1996, and re-opened in 1998.

1999-2005
Settled 1998-99 lockout. Added maximum salaries, Mid-Level exception; escrow & luxury tax.

2005-2011
Luxury tax in effect every season. Reductions in contract lengths & raises.

2011-2017
Players' guaranteed share of revenue reduced. Further reductions in contract lengths & raises. Greater penalties for taxpaying teams. Originally effective through 2020-21 with a mutual opt-out for 2017.

2017-2024
Designated veteran provision. Two-way contracts. Mutual opt-out for 2023.

_________________
Not familiar with the salary cap/CBA rules & how it impacts our Lakers?
#GetFamiliar by CLICKING HERE!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
zambia
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 09 Oct 2007
Posts: 392

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject:

V dropping knowledge!!!!

Gov and Dr. Laker took their basketball and went home.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Dec 2019
Posts: 3499

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:52 pm    Post subject:

^^I think gov may have caught a stray tho. Haha I’m not sure he was siding with anybody’s argument. He was just there to witness the smoke.

But I’m sure there’s one person that doesn’t want smoke….

https://basketball.realgm.com/staff/Marshall-Rader/Summary/20246

Dudes been there since Rob came on & he should be on our radar. Im pretty sure Rob ain’t all that comfortable in navigating through the cap. It explains why he has a CBA/salary cap analyst on payroll. Dude’s work history includes SA & Indy 🫣

No 🧢, dudes probably a mole. Gut punch to the soul.
_________________
Not familiar with the salary cap/CBA rules & how it impacts our Lakers?
#GetFamiliar by CLICKING HERE!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Dec 2019
Posts: 3499

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:06 pm    Post subject:

I’m just gonna leave this here….

https://streamable.com/vjcu8p

But jokes on you Steph..we about that youth movement now. We won’t develop em (oh no no no…ain’t no 3-4yr deals over here), but we’ll sign em. And who knows, we’ll try to grab em right back off of waivers like we did Av. We see you McClung.
_________________
Not familiar with the salary cap/CBA rules & how it impacts our Lakers?
#GetFamiliar by CLICKING HERE!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2002
Posts: 15834

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject:

zambia wrote:
V dropping knowledge!!!!

Gov and Dr. Laker took their basketball and went home.


Nah - I have a job and have to log off of LG and look busy every so often. BTW, with 353 posts in 15 years, one might say you spend a lot of time at home . . . unless yours is a(nother) burner account.

vasashi17+ wrote:
https://basketball.realgm.com/staff/Marshall-Rader/Summary/20246

Dudes been there since Rob came on & he should be on our radar. Im pretty sure Rob ain’t all that comfortable in navigating through the cap. It explains why he has a CBA/salary cap analyst on payroll. Dude’s work history includes SA & Indy 🫣

No 🧢, dudes probably a mole. Gut punch to the soul.


Um, sir:

I pointed out Mr. Rader's presence in a 2019 thread titled "LG Myths busted so far . . ." as a refutation of your BS line that the FO didn't have a cap expert.

HERE'S YOUR RECEIPT, SIR.

Quote:
Since 2018: Kristen Andrews, Philip Chang, Nina Hsieh, Diana Ma, Mike Mancias, Nick Mazzella, Randy Mims, Gunnar Peterson, Marshall Rader, Stacey Robinson, Sam Usher, Adi Vase, Ron Weathers, Jordan Wilkes, Josh Wright, Moses Zapata and others have all been brought in to work in those areas.

_________________
On Lakersground, a concern troll is someone who is a fan of another team, but pretends to be a Lakers fan with "concerns".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
32
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 04 Nov 2009
Posts: 69925

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Remember when Rob was clearing space to sign Kawhi Leonard and a lot of people here were making jokes and mocking him saying he didn't know what he was doing and even some experts were saying it couldn't be done. Not only did he clear space but when KL chose the Clippers he had a plan B that was beautifully executed and he built a championship roster. Rob has made some mistakes since then but let's not say he doesn't know what he's doing. He has proven he does.
_________________
Nobody in the NBA can touch the Laker brand, which, like the uniform color, is pure gold.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
zambia
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 09 Oct 2007
Posts: 392

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
zambia wrote:
V dropping knowledge!!!!

Gov and Dr. Laker took their basketball and went home.


Nah - I have a job and have to log off of LG and look busy every so often. BTW, with 353 posts in 15 years, one might say you spend a lot of time at home . . . unless yours is a(nother) burner account.

vasashi17+ wrote:
https://basketball.realgm.com/staff/Marshall-Rader/Summary/20246

Dudes been there since Rob came on & he should be on our radar. Im pretty sure Rob ain’t all that comfortable in navigating through the cap. It explains why he has a CBA/salary cap analyst on payroll. Dude’s work history includes SA & Indy 🫣

No 🧢, dudes probably a mole. Gut punch to the soul.


Um, sir:

I pointed out Mr. Rader's presence in a 2019 thread titled "LG Myths busted so far . . ." as a refutation of your BS line that the FO didn't have a cap expert.

HERE'S YOUR RECEIPT, SIR.

Quote:
Since 2018: Kristen Andrews, Philip Chang, Nina Hsieh, Diana Ma, Mike Mancias, Nick Mazzella, Randy Mims, Gunnar Peterson, Marshall Rader, Stacey Robinson, Sam Usher, Adi Vase, Ron Weathers, Jordan Wilkes, Josh Wright, Moses Zapata and others have all been brought in to work in those areas.


Don’t get so emotional.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Dec 2019
Posts: 3499

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:36 pm    Post subject:

@Dr.Laker: so what you telling me is, you’ve been aware that the Lakers have a cap expert in the cut…and that’s cause Rob is beyond his scope in that regard. Got ya 👍🏼

However, our “cap expert” ain’t very good imho. He carved out max cap space, but showed no finesse in doing so. Puts the hack in hacksaw if you ask me.

https://i.redd.it/uv4fvcprhxr21.jpg

Marshal Mather huh…uh Rader…ah, what does it matter….I see why Rob likes you. No joke, dudes got a type. Just make sure to never turn your back on him (no homeslice yo). That being said, I’m an absolute stan of your music. But I don’t understan why they paying you to manage our cap sheet. When it comes to the cap, the only thing we’re interested in coming from you is that your ink never runs dry.

Truly yours…your biggest (music) fan,
Stan

P.s. We should do the cap sheet together too.
_________________
Not familiar with the salary cap/CBA rules & how it impacts our Lakers?
#GetFamiliar by CLICKING HERE!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 06 Jul 2009
Posts: 774

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Coon: Here is a summary of the league's collective bargaining agreements:

Start Year-End Year

1970-1973
First CBA. Increased minimum salaries. Added playoff pool and per diem.

1973-1976
Arbitration

1976-1979
Suit blocking NBA/ABA merger settled. Added limited free agency (with team compensation).

1980-1983
No-trade clauses eliminated.

1983-1987
Added Salary Cap, "Bird" rights. Technically not a new CBA, rather a Memorandum of Understanding modifying the terms of the 1980 agreement.

1988-1994
Added unrestricted free agency. Length of draft reduced.

1994-1995
Temporary "No-strike, no-lockout" agreement.

1995-1998
Ended 1995 lockout. Added rookie scale contracts. Not actually signed until 1996, and re-opened in 1998.

1999-2005
Settled 1998-99 lockout. Added maximum salaries, Mid-Level exception; escrow & luxury tax.

2005-2011
Luxury tax in effect every season. Reductions in contract lengths & raises.

2011-2017
Players' guaranteed share of revenue reduced. Further reductions in contract lengths & raises. Greater penalties for taxpaying teams. Originally effective through 2020-21 with a mutual opt-out for 2017.

2017-2024
Designated veteran provision. Two-way contracts. Mutual opt-out for 2023.


I think one of the big changes was instituting max salaries in 1999. The Lakers signed Shaq to a 7 year $120 mil deal, outbidding the Magic. IIRC they still stayed under the salary cap by extending the deal and paying less to supporting players. Once max salaries came in, Lakers couldn't outbid anyone.

Also I don't remember when and am too lazy to look up, but when the home team max extension rules changed that gave the home teams the ability to offer the largest contracts relative to other teams.

I think these rule changes made money less of a factor in free agent decisions and shifted focus to other factors like the strength of the team, coach, FO, etc.

While the Lakers will always benefit from its location and storied history, I think the rise of the internet and social media has chipped away at that advantage to some extent.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Feb 2015
Posts: 7907

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Shout out to vasashi17+ dropping that knowledge. People forget or intentionally ignore how things transpired over the years and how bad of a job Rob has actually done, even with the bubble title. I don't really put it all on Rob though, because Jeanie is the person that hired the man with no experience and didn't hire someone like say a Jerry West to mentor him. It didn't just have to be Jerry West, I don't want people to harp on that. Just a mentor. Rob is learning on the job, through terrible mistakes, but Jeanie wanted Kobe, Kobe said no, hire Rob. Jeanie hired Rob, expecting to get the package deal of both Rob and Kobe, and did, but didn't expect Kob to transition.

She didn't just hire no experience Rob, she also hired no experience Magic. I could go down the list of Jeanie's questionable moves, but this isn't even to bash or critique Jeanie. Nor Rob. it's to say you were on point in what you said and hopefully they learn and get better. It seems Rob is getting better with asset management, seeing they are holding on tight to their picks and not just giving away the little of assets that we do have. So, to me that is a go sign.

Quote:
I know it’s hard to win a title every year, but can a team be built to continuously contend for a title season after season. Other teams have shown they can under the current CBA climate. Meanwhile ours immediately burst after we had it poppin in the bubble.


Nice wordplay / word association.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 11940

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:55 pm    Post subject:

What teams have continuously contended for a title in recent years?

The Warriors have dominated but they missed the playoffs for two seasons in a row after Durant bailed and Klay was injured. They are a very well run franchise. They couldn't survive the injuries though.

The Celtics are the closest in terms of sustained quality but they haven't won a title in 2008.

The Clippers have never won a title, and missed the playoffs last season, as well as 5 seasons ago. They've only been past the second round once.

The Heat had missed the playoffs 3 out of the 5 previous seasons before that after Lebron left.

The Cavs similarly had the run and a title with Lebron. They have missed the playoffs in the four seasons since he left, ,just as they did in the four seasons that he was in Miami.

The Raptors had made the playoffs for 5 straight years before they won the title, but only reached the conference finals once. Prior to that they missed the playoffs 9 times in 11 seasons.

Phoenix made the Finals run two years ago and the playoffs last year. They had missed the playoffs in 11 of the previous 12 seasons. They've never own a title.

The Sixers 5 straight playoff seasons, but never reached the second round. That was preceded with 5 seasons of no playoffs. They haven't won a title since the early 80s.

The Bucks won their first title since Karreem and Robinson in the 70s, and have made 6 straight playoffs. Aside from that title though they only had one other conference finals run. Prior to that they missed the playoffs in 8 of 12 years.

We all know the Spurs franchise is run exceptionally well. They had a great stretch for a long time but they have to pay for that as well. They had three straight years where they've won under 35 games.

The Nuggets have made the playoffs for four straight seasons and had a nice run three years ago, but prior to that they had missed the playoffs for 5 straight years.

The Mavs reached the conference finals last season and can boast three straight playoff appearances. They had missed the playoffs for three straight years before that and missed them 4 times in the previous 7 seasons. Last year's run was the first time they've been past the first round since they won the title in 2011.

The Jazz are on a six year playoff run, but never got past the second round. They had missed the playoffs in 5 of the previous 6 seasons. They've never won a title and haven't been to the Finals since Stockton-Malone in the 90s.

That's not to say I'm happy with what happened last season. Or that I don't think the Lakers could have made better choices. But in general the most teams either go through a period of contending followed by a rebuild, or they have long competitive stretches where they never get anywhere.

The Lakers went all in with the AD and Lebron acquisitions. They shoved in the rest of their chips on a losing hand for Westbrook. There will be a reckoning for that. They need to make a decision on if they can contend with Lebron and AD, and if they think there are paths they can take that will give them a chance then they need to pay the costs and take the risk. They are pot committed in that case.

The only other option is to fold it all, trade them for whatever they can get to try to reduce the rebuild time. I don't see much chance that they make that choice though. if that is the case they need to give up the picks. Make the best move they can.

The idea of playing another season with Westbrook would be the equivalent of calling down with a losing hand. Betting on the tiny chance that a miracle happens and something in him clicks. It's too much of a longshot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 Mar 2020
Posts: 2612

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Its a miracle this guy still did not get fired
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 27958

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:27 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
The Lakers went all in with the AD and Lebron acquisitions. They shoved in the rest of their chips on a losing hand for Westbrook. There will be a reckoning for that. They need to make a decision on if they can contend with Lebron and AD, and if they think there are paths they can take that will give them a chance then they need to pay the costs and take the risk. They are pot committed in that case.

The only other option is to fold it all, trade them for whatever they can get to try to reduce the rebuild time. I don't see much chance that they make that choice though. if that is the case they need to give up the picks. Make the best move they can.

The idea of playing another season with Westbrook would be the equivalent of calling down with a losing hand. Betting on the tiny chance that a miracle happens and something in him clicks. It's too much of a longshot.


I agree with much of what you said, especially about how teams periodically need to rebuild. I agree with most of the part I quoted, too. However, I don't know that blowing it up is the only other option. In fact, I don't know that it is really an option at all, given that Lebron may not be easily moveable and that Davis' value is at a low ebb. We would be conducting a fire sale.

Like it or not, the third option is to play out this hand. We are not likely to contend, unless Ham works some impressive alchemy on Westbrook. We may have better options to move Westbrook at the trade deadline, when teams are more likely to be interested in an expiring contract. We wouldn't burn more assets just to get rid of him. We can either extend Lebron next summer or see what we can get out of a weak free agent class. We may be able to arrange things so that we have the cap space to sign Irving, if he comes onto the market.

That's an unpleasant option that won't be a lot of fun. But it might be the best option, all things considered. I guess it would be more accurate to say that it might be the least bad option. We don't control our picks for the next three years (a swap in '23 and either '24 or '25 goes to the Pelicans), so blowing it up with a fire sale isn't really a sound path forward. A Kyrie Irving trade might make us a contender, but Hield and Turner probably wouldn't. In the end, we'd wind up in a bad position with fewer assets to work with.

We may just need to take our lumps. I don't expect Jeanie and Pelinka to do this. I expect them to keep looking for quick fixes. Sooner or later -- and probably sooner -- it's going to catch up with us.
_________________
Internet Argument Resolved
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Jun 2009
Posts: 2704

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject:

roger_federer wrote:
Its a miracle this guy still did not get fired


He should've been given the axe for sure. The team looks stuck with that catastrophic decision and have no leverage at all in any trade scenario. Why should other teams back down? Polonka still hoping to find a sucker out there. I wouldn't give him a milimeter.
_________________
Smrek 2, Nevitt 1, Barkley 0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Jun 2009
Posts: 2704

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject:

There should be an official Fire Polonka thread.
_________________
Smrek 2, Nevitt 1, Barkley 0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
giordan0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 05 Jan 2016
Posts: 491

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:
There should be an official Fire Polonka thread.


+1

This trash front office along with it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 141389
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:48 pm    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:
roger_federer wrote:
Its a miracle this guy still did not get fired


He should've been given the axe for sure. The team looks stuck with that catastrophic decision and have no leverage at all in any trade scenario. Why should other teams back down? Polonka still hoping to find a sucker out there. I wouldn't give him a milimeter.


He should have been given a mentor, and that is on Jeanie. I can see why Magic wouldn’t want someone in that position to show how inadequate he was, but once he stepped down there should have been an experienced vet added to the FO in an advisory role. And not Rambis, someone who could step back and assess the FO. Rob had developed into a good agent, maybe with some guidance he could be a good GM.
_________________
Between the things known, and the things unknown, are the Doors.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Dec 2019
Posts: 3499

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:13 pm    Post subject:

@Outspoken: thx my guy! Although I’m dropping more of a regurg than knowledge. I try to get into the teeth of Coon’s FAQ so I can make it slightly more easier for consumption here.

Btw, I normally go into word play when Im in a mood. And let’s just say Rob gets me pretty lowe at times. Imho, dudes an actor of a GM and his mamba minutes have been up. Dude probably was interested in the job cause he thought he could find good stories in the Lakers salary cap ledger. Jokes on him tho cause Kob tells better stories than he does. Mamba be pulling up in an Oscar for those stories too, while Rob stays in a clowncar. Buddy doesn’t have IT as a bball exec. If we’re trying to be Honest Abeout it, his moves don’t make much cents. Gotta be more PennyWise with addressing our margins #My2¢

https://tenor.com/Adas.gif
_________________
Not familiar with the salary cap/CBA rules & how it impacts our Lakers?
#GetFamiliar by CLICKING HERE!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2002
Posts: 15834

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Like it or not, the third option is to play out this hand. We are not likely to contend, unless Ham works some impressive alchemy on Westbrook. We may have better options to move Westbrook at the trade deadline, when teams are more likely to be interested in an expiring contract. We wouldn't burn more assets just to get rid of him. We can either extend Lebron next summer or see what we can get out of a weak free agent class. We may be able to arrange things so that we have the cap space to sign Irving, if he comes onto the market.

<snip>

We may just need to take our lumps. I don't expect Jeanie and Pelinka to do this. I expect them to keep looking for quick fixes. Sooner or later -- and probably sooner -- it's going to catch up with us.


Playing it out is not a bad option IF there is a plan for 2023. Whether that plan includes LBJ or not will be known ASAP - his extension is due next month, IIRC - and if he doesn't want to extend with us, then we look for extend-and-trade partners before training camp.

It would hurt to lose LBJ, but getting off of WBs 47 mil and taking in a couple of pieces in an X&T could position us well. The 2023 FA market is thin, but there may well be an upcoming 2024 FA who wants to force his way to LA. Cap space and the pieces we get for LeBron might do it.
_________________
On Lakersground, a concern troll is someone who is a fan of another team, but pretends to be a Lakers fan with "concerns".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 09 Aug 2004
Posts: 1299
Location: Santa Monica

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:
There should be an official Fire Polonka thread.


I agree.
_________________
Everyting negative - pressure, challenges - is all an opportunity for me to rise.
-Kobe Bryant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
laker50
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Mar 2014
Posts: 2119

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Pelinka in a normal franchise would have been fired last year.
Hopefully, he doesn't compound his mistakes by trading first round picks to get rid of Westbrook.
Don't make a mistake to compound mistakes already made.
Run with Westbrook for this year and plan for next year.
Might not be as bad as thought.
A Kyrie trade may not be the best thing as he might not resign unless
win all.
Get 47m to work with next year.
Goal is to resign Lebron.
And use that 47m to get 2 to 3 good role players.
To where were few years ago with a chance to win.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 Jul 2002
Posts: 1911

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:37 pm    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:
Pelinka in a normal franchise would have been fired last year.
Hopefully, he doesn't compound his mistakes by trading first round picks to get rid of Westbrook.
Don't make a mistake to compound mistakes already made.
Run with Westbrook for this year and plan for next year.
Might not be as bad as thought.
A Kyrie trade may not be the best thing as he might not resign unless
win all.
Get 47m to work with next year.
Goal is to resign Lebron.
And use that 47m to get 2 to 3 good role players.
To where were few years ago with a chance to win.


If Lebron is to be re-signed then there won't be $47m to work with next year, at most $23m.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 186, 187, 188
Page 188 of 188
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB